• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone who pre-ordered on PSN get their pre-order items yet?

from Dark Souls facebook page:

"If you pre-ordered Dark Souls II on the PSN and have not received your bonus content - We apologize for the delay, but it is now available.

1. Go to the PlayStation Store.
2. Choose Dark Souls II.
3. Select the 'Free' version.
4. Re-download the game.

5. (Optional) Once the download starts, you can cancel and go to your Download List and resume each specific weapon/shield pack instead of the entire game.

Thank you for your patience!"

I used step number 5. They will automatically be added to your inventory.

MrDaravon

Aw shit, is the merchant at
No Man's Wharf
one time only or random? Got to him once, then loaded up with all of my duplicate items to sell, fought my way back to him (dying once in the process) and then he wasn't there anymore :(

Update on the sleeping knight (who I did not kill):
I either found him again in the Lost Bastille, or found another one that looks just like him and is also sleeping. Need to go back to the forest and check if he's still there.

cheezcake

Aw shit, is the merchant at
No Man's Wharf
one time only or random? Got to him once, then loaded up with all of my duplicate items to sell, fought my way back to him (dying once in the process) and then he wasn't there anymore :(

He's moved to a different area, if you want know he's in
Harvest Valley

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Feel like I'm really overleveled- 100 SL and I've only beaten
Old Iron King and the Last Sinner out of the big four
I don't think I hit that in DS1 until the game was nearly over. Am I ahead of the curve levelling wise?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'm basically stuck at the the bosses for lost bastille and black gulch.

I've been using a +5 battle axe (I have 30 STR) but I'm doing awful damage. Anyone found a really good versatile str weapon? I have a couple greatswords but honestly they haven't been very good...

purg3

slept with Malkin
Quick question, what does it mean when you are being summoned as a grey phantom? It happened to me a few times right before fighting one of the bosses down the giant hole in Majula. I didn't put down a summon sign and I'm currently in the Sun Bro's.

purg3

slept with Malkin

I've been using a +5 battle axe (I have 30 STR) but I'm doing awful damage. Anyone found a really good versatile str weapon? I have a couple greatswords but honestly they haven't been very good...

Take advantage of the different resins. I was doing okay damage on a few bosses but kept dying. Used some lightning resin on my next try and was taking off big chunks of life quickly. Plus they look really cool, especially lightning.

AJLma

Try the Mace.

I'm a Dex build with minimal STR(16), I use one as one of my back up weapons and it wrecks damn near everything I come across at only +2.

Quick question, what does it mean when you are being summoned as a grey phantom? It happened to me a few times right before fighting one of the bosses down the giant hole in Majula. I didn't put down a summon sign and I'm currently in the Sun Bro's.

I think this happens in areas with lots of recepticles for Pharros Lockstones. If your invasion is successful you'll get a Pharros Lockstone. There have been two areas where I've been summoned so far, both contain a certain character.

is there some type of limit for the sopastone? I got summoned and helped someone out for the first time, died, came back, then it was greyed out and I couldnt use it anymore. is there a time limit or something? I tried a bunch of different areas but it wouldn't let me place the large or small anywhere again.

If you're being invaded it'll gray it out as well, so make sure especially if you're by the tower or other invasion friendly areas.

Got my Collectors Edition yesterday and wow that statue is huge :-D

not got very far yet just entered the forest stage which reminds me of the first area of Dark Souls.

Very nice so far although i miss the ragdoll physics of the previous 2 games :-(

The rat covenant down there essentially is the opposite of the forest/belltower ones. It grabs dudes to invade your game and the covenant member has to defend and can set up traps/use the rats.

There's two.

Ah. Interesting. I'm still gonna leave him alive and see if it affects anything later. For science!

Invasions seem to be a little borked. Fighting PVP so far, I've been glitch-backstabbed once and just fought an invader who kept hitting me even though I swore I had dodged out of range of his attack. Then again as an invader I cleaned up so maybe the phantom invaded has some sort of advantage.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
If you enter and explore Lost Bastille from the Pursuer shortcut, is there a way to get back to the first bonfire without a homeward bone? I explored almost everything (except for that one locked door) and couldn't find another bonfire and couldn't get back to the first one. I was too much of a coward to take on the boss after trying it in summoned form and getting slaughtered.

theytookourjobz

Farming chunks in the belltower to upgrade my Heide sword. Added fire infusion to it and respeced to 50 faith and I'm at like 400 damage at +7. Fire and lightning scale with faith so it's pretty awesome.

If you enter and explore Lost Bastille from the Pursuer shortcut, is there a way to get back to the first bonfire without a homeward bone? I explored almost everything (except for that one locked door) and couldn't find another bonfire and couldn't get back to the first one. I was too much of a coward to take on the boss after trying it in summoned form and getting slaughtered.

As far as I know, no. I couldn't find one either.

EDIT:
There's a third bonfire location, though, if you're interested:
If you sneak up on the enemy at the top of the stairs that throws a barrel at you and kill him, you can roll the barrel down and blow up a wall to another bonfire that's a little closer.

Early boss help :
Old Dragonslayer is kicking my ass, shield is pointless because he cuts through it like butter and kills me in two hits. Didn't have much trouble with the giant, dragonrider, or pursuer (totally cheated on him though with that ballista thing, I feel dirty) I'm SL35ish, do I just need to come back at a higher level?

purg3

slept with Malkin
The rat covenant down there essentially is the opposite of the forest/belltower ones. It grabs dudes to invade your game and the covenant member has to defend and can set up traps/use the rats.

Ahh okay, that's pretty cool. Makes sense since most of the lockstone spots down there are all troll traps lol.

Early boss help :
Old Dragonslayer is kicking my ass, shield is pointless because he cuts through it like butter and kills me in two hits. Didn't have much trouble with the giant, dragonrider, or pursuer (totally cheated on him though with that ballista thing, I feel dirty) I'm SL35ish, do I just need to come back at a higher level?

I got him on my first try, your first instinct is to probably roll back on most of his attacks, but if you keep a medium distance roll forward towards him and he will go right past you leaving time for a few counter attack hits. Just be patient, roll forward on most of his spear attacks and choose your hits. Don't get greedy and you will take him down without much trouble.

Can't get back to it as far as I know.

There is a second bonfire behind a cracked wall down the stairs at the end of the walkway after the second tower. There is an explosive barrel at the top of the stairs you can push down and use to blow up the wall.

Go to where the Heide knight is, walk past him, there should be a bonfire in one of the prison cells.

That is, if you don't want to try doing the above posters methods

Footos22

Early boss help :

Hug him while circling round him to the right Piece of cake

LProtag

Man, last night I was just trying to push forward aimlessly and I think I missed out on a bunch of stuff.

Today's going to be some backtracking and exploring.

Audioboxer

Just picked up the Fire Longsword shortly after getting the Heide Knight Sword. Does Fire scale with Faith or should I stick to Heide if that's where I'm pumping my magic allowance?

Would be good to know before I upgrade either.

Footos22

Just picked up the Fire Longsword shortly after getting the Heide Knight Sword. Does Fire scale with Faith or should I stick to Heide if that's where I'm pumping my magic allowance?

Would be good to know before I upgrade either.

Int and faith scale fire

I'm at +10 fire longsword with 10 faith and Int and slicing through everything. Even pvp. I have like 40 titanite chunks lol

Audioboxer

Int and faith scale fire

I'm at +10 fire longsword with 10 faith and Int and slicing through everything. Even pvp. I have like 40 titanite chunks lol

Independently or do you need to invest in both stats? No interest in putting points in INT this playthrough.

Holy shit at the (boss spoiler)
Belfry Gargoyles. Just tried to do some jolly co-op and got murdered! How many of those freaking things are there?!

ironcreed

Banned
Nope. Was just about to ask the same thing. I figured they'd be sitting in a chest somewhere.

The PSN pre-order items are up now. You have to select the free version of the game on the store and then immediately cancel the download right as it's about to start. Then exit the store, go to your download history and the items will be there for you.

Gun Animal

I burned an effigy at a bonfire thinking it was the correct way to regain my humanity and now i can't summon anyone. Is there any way to reverse this effect?

purg3

slept with Malkin
Holy shit at the (boss spoiler)
Belfry Gargoyles. Just tried to do some jolly co-op and got murdered! How many of those freaking things are there?!

I think 5 total? yeah I tried it once early on and was like, nope. I've leveled up a bit since then so I need to go back. It's like the 4kings in that it's a damage race basically.

I got him on my first try, your first instinct is to probably roll back on most of his attacks, but if you keep a medium distance roll forward towards him and he will go right past you leaving time for a few counter attack hits. Just be patient, roll forward on most of his spear attacks and choose your hits. Don't get greedy and you will take him down without much trouble.

Hug him while circling round him to the right Piece of cake

Thanks guys just took him out. Also relating to that area, who makes a giant awesome tower like that and doesn't put a boss fight at the top of it, or even let you up there? Shameful!

Cizard

I have a lot of titanite chunks but I need large/small shards, is there a way to split them up and if not what is a good way to get shards?

Marbles

The PSN pre-order items are up now. You have to select the free version of the game on the store and then immediately cancel the download right as it's about to start. Then exit the store, go to your download history and the items will be there for you.

yip just got em, they were in my download queue.

Hupsel

Awesome game, but I expected a bit more variety of enemies at least in the starting areas. Holy shit at the
number of statue knights in the tower section
. gets really repetitive after a while since its almost always the same attack pattern.

ElFly

So I turned my Heide's Knight Sword (that already has lightning damage) into a Lightning version with even more Lightning (and thus faith-scaling) damage. Kinda weird, but it turned out to be quite a buff.

Holy shit I am so doing this when factible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom