• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

R.I.P

Wow, got a
Demon's great hammer
from the bird's nest today. Bastard requires 50 str stat to use properly though, so I won't be using it for a while yet :p

njean777

So I'm just fucking stuck in a loop going to the
dragonriders
boss fight, dying and losing my souls. I'm up to about 10k at the moment and I just can't beat him and I don't want to give up on the souls. Is there anything else at all I can do? Can I go back to marula after running through the area up to the boss fight, use the souls I have to upgrade stuff/buy stuff, and come back and still eventually pick up my souls that are left at the boss fight?

You can always run in and retrieve then Homeward bone out of there.

TheGrue

My cousin gets pissed off at one game only and it took less than a week to break his first controller. The first dark souls he kicked his ps3 across the room. It's fucking hilarious to watch him get so mad over a damn video game.....

It's weird, but this game, Spelunky, Super Meat boy and others like it don't get me mad at all. When I die, I'm usually thinking about what I did wrong and how I can correct. About the only exception was False King Allant, who I had to try to kill a bunch of times and the run back was pretty long. He started to bother me. But then you'll have a boss like
Caius
in Lightning Returns who just pisses me off to no end and it's because he feels cheap. Or maybe it's because I expect Souls games to punish me, but other games are not allowed.

Arjen

Pretty early area question.

In no Man's warf i unlocked a shortcut door, no, for the life of me i can't find it back anymore, anyone know where it was?

So, what does lighting the sconces with my torch do besides the added visibility? I find it somewhat addictive and satisfying to light them but would like to know if there is anything more to it.

Indignation

Neo Member
Finally got the game yesterday, good way to start the weekend. I headed to dragon rider and no mans wharf first, which I assume isn't a very good way to start? Wharf was really painful and I died enough that mobs stopped respawning on the beginning part :D After I finally beat the boss, I got the bonfire on the next area and then figured maybe I should scout around the beginning area and soon enough I found the forest of giants (or whatever it was) and it seemed a bit more start friendly area. Anyway, enjoying the game as much as the first one, love it!

How is he giving you trouble? He is so slow you can stay behind him the whole time. Get up in his face and just circle to the right. Easiest boss so far. By far.

Haha wow

Well what happened was the first time he just caught me off guard and since then I've been panicking because I was always focusing on getting my souls back

But now I just did what you said and beat him first try

Ghazi

I just went to light a torch and for some reason I exploded, killing me. What? That's kinda stupid, is it just completely random?

Ardenyal

I feel like I can't do anything with this lag in pvp. Is it the same for everyone or just me?

edit: ok fuck pvp.... i just got teleported across the map to get backstabbed. He was on the other side of one of the towers in the Belfry pvp area and suddenly i got teleported to the other side of the tower... fuck this shit.

Guevara

No Man's Wharf was a cakewalk. I'm a little disappointed.

The 'pirates' looked intimidating but were pushovers, in like 2 hits most of the time. The only place I had trouble was clearing out Gavlan's house, mostly because I got impatient. As soon as I drew one at at time out that was fine too. There were some ambushes, but these enemies are too easy even in groups. Easy easy boss fight.

One question:
what is that waterwheel near the sorcerer? I couldn't make anything happen.

The mace is an incredible weapon in this game!

Astral

I take it there's no Fog Ring in this game, or any other ring that makes it harder to be detected? Fog Ring + Slumbering Dragon Ring was a cool combination.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh man, I just realized Illusory walls are opened by hitting the confirm button...I missed so many.

So far I have been finding this a lot harder than the previous 2 games. In Dark Souls 1 I don't think I even had many deaths until Anor Londo, but here I struggled right at the first area. Game seems to throw a lot more enemies at once at you.

Also I fucking suck at backstabs now. Not really sure what changed but it feels weird.

No Man's Wharf was a cakewalk. I'm a little disappointed.

The 'pirates' looked intimidating but were pushovers, in like 2 hits most of the time. The only place I had trouble was clearing out Gavlan's house, mostly because I got impatient. As soon as I drew one at at time out that was fine too. There were some ambushes, but these enemies are too easy even in groups. Easy easy boss fight.

One question:
what is that waterwheel near the sorcerer? I couldn't make anything happen.

The mace is an incredible weapon in this game!

I handled this area a bit out of order and it made me realize a lot about the lighting.
I went through and found the shortcut back, but I didn't even realize there was a path to this locked door before. I found one of those stones with the face so I used the Pharro's stone and it lit up the entire area. I noticed those enemies that caused bleed were afraid of the light as I led one near a torch, but didn't see this until I was basically done with the area...I'm pretty sure this place was meant to be pitch black and that was going to be some massive helper, as going through with a torch + weapon would make it harder. As is, yeah, I found that place a breeze. Especially that boss, though my weapon broke and I realized the water was rising as I fiddled with the menu so I guess you would get more restricted as it goes on.

NeededSleep

Can anyon tell me what:
those dead trees in forest of giants are for? I can examine them but it does nothing. Spotted 3 of them so far

Thanks!

Also are there any swords to aim for like from ds1 the one you get from qualag*sp?

Was my fav weapon, so far nothing has been too exciting for me :(

halfbeast

Banned
I just went to light a torch and for some reason I exploded, killing me. What? That's kinda stupid, is it just completely random?

actually, I thought it was funny. you were probably soaked with oil. after getting soaked myself I killed the dudes and got ready for the boss fight, so I took out my pyro hand. put myself on fire. v_v

just wash it off in water.

So I've been running around blind and mostly enjoying it, lost my souls from the second boss I killed before spending them :(

Just wondering though.

Are the Last Giant and floating knight dude the "first" bosses?

Footos22

Thank you. What weapon should I have fir first boss? Fire arrows ok?

Anything. Just stay behind him and hack his ankles. Get ready to roll back when he lifts either of his legs. Firesword down tunnel with salamander looking thing does a good job (with pretty much everything so far)

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Is it me or are the first 5 or so bosses of this game ridiculously easy. Like... it's stupidly sad how easy it is.

BeeDog

Great game so far, but still doesn't hold a candle to Demon's Souls or even Dark Souls 1. The game world feels far more disjointed, and the various environments aren't nearly as elaborate as the ones in the older games. Also, the lack of proper lighting sucks the atmosphere of pretty much all areas except Majula; goddamn this is one fugly game.

I have a hard time speccing my character; I'm around lvl 60 and may have pumped a bit too much into Adaptability, though people say it's worth getting to 38 in Adaptability. I'm mainly playing as a simple Warrior with a strong sword in one hand and a good shield in the other. Can someone suggest how I should spend my souls?

NIN90

actually, I thought it was funny. you were probably soaked with oil. after getting soaked myself I killed the dudes and got ready for the boss fight, so I took out my pyro hand. put myself on fire. v_v

just wash it off in water.

Hahaha that's great.

For a STR based character, is it worth it to buy the Elite Knight Set, or can you find it/something better relatively early on?

So far I've beaten the
Giant tree guy in the forest area and the dragonrider in heide's castle

Also, how do I get to
no man's wharf to pick up a giant sword?

HEy guys, I dont understand the new upgrade system.

If I add an effect like fire/poison to a weapon does it drop the +5 I have on the weapon? Or does it keep the +5 and add the status effect? How does using boss souls work? Can someone sum up the weapon upgrade system? I'll be your best friend lol.

NeededSleep

Is it me or are the first 5 or so bosses of this game ridiculously easy. Like... it's stupidly sad how easy it is.

Circle strife. Over and over. It has been pretty bad. No originality in boss combats so far. Hope it changes later on. So far im at huntsmans copse.

So do I want to be lighting all of the fires for some greater goal? Or are they just there for aesthetic purpose? I got all of the ones in Betwixt and nothing special happened.

Footos22

For a STR based character, is it worth it to buy the Elite Knight Set, or can you find it/something better relatively early on?

So far I've beaten the
Giant tree guy in the forest area and the dragonrider in heide's castle

Also, how do I get to
no man's wharf to pick up a giant sword?

No man's wharf is under where you kill
dragonrider
I take it you pulled all the levers in the area

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Circle strife. Over and over. It has been pretty bad. No originality in boss combats so far. Hope it changes later on. So far im at huntsmans copse.

I am a bit further in and this didnt get much better so far. The designs are great, but its always the same approach.

kayos90

The first five or so bosses all share the same type of attacks and feel exactly the same. They are ridiculously easy to fight if you have some semblance of fighting normal enemies. The mobs are harder than the fucking boss for goodness sake. The only boss I had a problem was the
sentinels and that's only because there are fucking three of them.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So do I want to be lighting all of the fires for some greater goal? Or are they just there for aesthetic purpose? I got all of the ones in Betwixt and nothing special happened.

So you can see better.

... usually just aesthetics with one exception, but you notice when the time comes.

Footos22

The first five or so bosses all share the same type of attacks and feel exactly the same. They are ridiculously easy to fight if you have some semblance of fighting normal enemies. The mobs are harder than the fucking boss for goodness sake. The only boss I had a problem was the
sentinels and that's only because there are fucking three of them.

Even then same tactic works. Was same on demons and dark souls tbh

kayos90

At least for Dark Souls there were a variety of moves the bosses had that differentiated them. Here they all have the wide semi circle swing and slash. ALL of them. They are ALL the same attacks.

No man's wharf is under where you kill
dragonrider
I take it you pulled all the levers in the area

Oh, perfect, thanks

I pulled two levers so far, not sure if that is all of them, I'll go explore anyway

Also, I am definitely going STR, but was probably gonna do faith as well

Right now my stats are:

VGR 12
END 11
VIT 11
ATN 4
STR 20
DEX 8
ADP 11
INT 3
FTH 6

It seems to me like I'd need to be putting points into vgr, end, vit, atn, str, adp, and fth? I mean the only stats that don't seem useful are int and dex (but I'll prob need to put points in for weapon reqs). Am I spreading myself too thin if I do all that?

NeededSleep

Is invading not worth it? Dont really enjoy being envaded. But ive only been invaded once, was ecpecting thos far in the game to be invaded way more like I was in ds1

Toma

I cant put my finger on the reason, but the bosses in demons FELT more diverse, maybe because they also were quite different from the setup/arena these fights are in, like the vertical arena of the huge tower knight, or the dragon fight on the rooftop.

At least for Dark Souls there were a variety of moves the bosses had that differentiated them. Here they all have the wide semi circle swing and slash. ALL of them. They are ALL the same attacks.

Yeah this, Demons was way better at this as well.

Really not having fun with the Pursurers Greatsword in PvE, it does a ton of damage upgraded so far, but I think the moveset doesn't benefit from it being smaller than the greatsword.

Guess I'll switch back to the Dranglic Sword for now.

The Lamp

Is anyone else in the blue sentinels/way of the sentinels, whatever covenant where you punish invaders? I haven't been called once, and I've been playing for hours. I'm SL 63.

Astral

Does anyone know where the Slumbering Dragon Shield is? I know that Shield of the Insolent has the same stamina recovery effect but if I can get the Dragon shield sooner then that'd be a lot better. Also, do the effects stay active even if they're on your back?

Footos22

Oh, perfect, thanks

I pulled two levers so far, not sure if that is all of them, I'll go explore anyway

Also, I am definitely going STR, but was probably gonna do faith as well

Right now my stats are:

VGR 12
END 11
VIT 11
ATN 4
STR 20
DEX 8
ADP 11
INT 3
FTH 6

It seems to me like I'd need to be putting points into vgr, end, vit, atn, str, adp, and fth? I mean the only stats that don't seem useful are int and dex (but I'll prob need to put points in for weapon reqs). Am I spreading myself too thin if I do all that?

Just put stats into what you think you need at the time. There isn't really any penalty as you can respec once you find.soul vessels. I spread myself a bit and am still wrecking everything at the moment. I'll prob hit a wall eventually but there's no risk of messing up anymore tbh.

So I just picked up the PS3 version...popped it in and uh...wow.

Played for about 20 minutes and holy crap, this game runs like garbage. Excuse my French there, but even though people were saying it runs worse than the 360 version I wasn't expecting it to feel as bad as it did.

If that's what the beginning of the game runs like, even if that's the worst of it, I don't know man. I don't know if I trust later parts of the game not to run like this again.
Think I'm going to go exchange this for the 360 version this afternoon. I can deal with tearing if it means not running like this does.

Grisby

Is anyone else in the blue sentinels/way of the sentinels, whatever covenant where you punish invaders? I haven't been called once, and I've been playing for hours. I'm SL 63.
How do you get into that? Do I need to use a certain number of blue cracked orbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom