• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The more I play Dark Souls II, the more I believe it might be my absolute favorite game of all time. Just a phenomenal experience.

Finally on to New Game Plus. First play through logged in at about 32 hours and of course before I started NG+ I went on a murder spree and killed all of the NPCs. Always a fun part.

I wasn't sure if I was going to like it as much as I liekd DS1 at first but I ended up liking it more. What keeps the game going is that it doesn't fall off as hard as DS1 did after Anor Londo. Tomb of Giants, Lost Izalith, and Dukes Archives were kinda garbage.

Overall I have to say they did the series justice with this game and I'm excited for some NG+ action!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
The more I play Dark Souls II, the more I believe it might be my absolute favorite game of all time. Just a phenomenal experience.

Curious, why do you prefer it so much over Demons or DS1?

spliced

The thing I notice the most is these big hitches that happen when it seems to be loading the area ahead. It's not like regular slowdown where you have a period of time where several frames are slow, this is just one big single hitch. It's almost gotten me killed several times because if it happens when I'm turning it can cause huge under or over turns that can walk you right off a ledge.

Guevara

So many people to coop with. It's just great. I got summoned constantly in Heide
(for both bosses there)
. Barely have to wait 60 seconds. I could do this all night.

dubq

RE: Forest of Fallen Giants, does any one know if
there is another way to get the Eagle to fly you to Lost Bastille? Or is the only way post-Pursuer battle? I ran into him really early in the game and opted not to fight him and now I can't get him to come back and can't find the eagle's nest.
;(

Also: I got invaded last night for the first time.. and I whupped his ass! Not even his Rat Covenant powers could save him from the wrath of my broadsword! :p

The Lamp

I helped beat a boss and I didn't get a token of fidelity

the game is fun but can't touch DS1. level design has yet to wow me.

I really liked Bastille but I think I agree with you. Heide was also overwhelmingly disappointing. It is an extremely small and simple area for how grandiose it looks.

Sinner's Rise spoilers:
The poorer level design shows up in moments like after you beat the boss at Sinner's Rise. After beating him, it takes you to a closed off cubic room with a bonfire whose sole purpose is to warp you out of there.

In DS1, the game would have cleverly taken you back to somewhere familiar through an entrance/exit that wasn't available before and you would have thought to yourself "huh, wow, so this is where I was". In this instance in DS2, they didn't know what to do with you so they just warp you out of there

Prodigal

Banned
there is another way to get the Eagle to fly you to Lost Bastille? Or is the only way post-Pursuer battle? I ran into him really early in the game and opted not to fight him and now I can't get him to come back and can't find the eagle's nest.
;(

Also: I got invaded last night for the first time.. and I whupped his ass! Not even his Rat Covenant powers could save him from the wrath of my broadsword! :p

He's still there, but perhaps in a different location...he'll be behind a fog door.

Grisby

So many people to coop with. It's just great. I got summoned constantly in Heide
(for both bosses there)
. Barely have to wait 60 seconds. I could do this all night.
After trying to beat the first bosses in Lost Bastille for over an hour I decided to just help others try out. Not only did I get a few soul levels but I also summoned some help for me and beat the tar out of them.

Online is pretty great. Wish I would have done it more in Dark Souls/Demon's. Although, it seems like FROM nailed it with this one.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Curious, why do you prefer it so much over Demons or DS1?

So far I vastly prefer the areas, enemies and bosses from DSII over both of those. It's not like I think it's a million times better than Dark Souls. The whole series is a trilogy of masterpieces so far. But yeah, DSII's got my number.

arab

;(

git gud and fight the boss. it's the only way

Astral

;(

Once you get the Soldier's key, use it on a door near the Cardinal Tower bonfire. Go down the ladder from the bonfire, and go to your right, past the elevator and the lizard. You know, the area with the bigass stone sword and a few enemies. There's a door you open there with the key that leads you to the Pursuer boss fight. He's easy as hell because all you have to do is run to the mounted gun and shoot him. After that you'll find the nest.

Guevara

Forest of Fallen Giants question:

I bought the cat ring, can I drop down and fight the fire salamanders? Is that something worth doing at this point (Progress-wise I'm at Lost Bastille).
I would try it, but I'm human and hate to throw that away stupidly.

Otherwise this whole section feels like a dead end post-boss.

Nose Master

I'm officially out of things to do with my souls. I don't want to over level, and I have like 50k just sitting there. SL65 or so. :(

I bought the cat ring, can I drop down and fight the fire salamanders? Is that something worth doing at this point (Progress-wise I'm at Lost Bastille).

Use that key you got to open up some doors.

Is there anything else to find in the
extremely foggy area besides chests and that one NPC
?

There's a very nice ring that easily missed, you have to hug one of the walls and go up a hill to get to it.

Yuterald

I started over the other night and I still can't emotionally move on from the game's intro. It's like, Dark Souls II starts in Shadow Tower Abyss and within minutes you walk out into Forever Kingdom. One thing I love, love, love about From Software's "Dark" RPGs is all of the depressing NPCs/people that are just chilling up against walls/sitting on rocks. It's something they've been doing since the early King's Field days. Everyone you walk by/encounter is just so beyond hopeless. Hands in face and heads down, I love seeing it, as odd as that sounds. Majula is quite possibly one of my favorite places in gaming in a long time. The new "maiden in black" overlooking the sea, the troubled salesman from another land, etc. So good...
I could do without the cat-character though. It's too goofy feeling/looking for me. It's like the side of Shadow Tower I didn't like (talking animals/armadillo guy).

sappyday

I really liked Bastille but I think I agree with you. Heide was also overwhelmingly disappointing. It is an extremely small and simple area for how grandiose it looks.

Sinner's Rise spoilers:
The poorer level design shows up in moments like after you beat the boss at Sinner's Rise. After beating him, it takes you to a closed off cubic room with a bonfire whose sole purpose is to warp you out of there.

In DS1, the game would have cleverly taken you back to somewhere familiar through an entrance/exit that wasn't available before and you would have thought to yourself "huh, wow, so this is where I was". In this instance in DS2, they didn't know what to do with you so they just warp you out of there

What about all those bonfires that appear after defeating the major four?

TraBuch

Banned
I really liked Bastille but I think I agree with you. Heide was also overwhelmingly disappointing. It is an extremely small area for how grandiose it looks.

Sinner's Rise spoilers:

Lost Izalith, Crystal Caverns, Anor Londo, New Londo Ruins and Tomb of the Giants all say otherwise.

Feindflug

So I just picked up the PS3 version...popped it in and uh...wow.

Played for about 20 minutes and holy crap, this game runs like garbage. Excuse my French there, but even though people were saying it runs worse than the 360 version I wasn't expecting it to feel as bad as it did.

If that's what the beginning of the game runs like, even if that's the worst of it, I don't know man. I don't know if I trust later parts of the game not to run like this again.
Think I'm going to go exchange this for the 360 version this afternoon. I can deal with tearing if it means not running like this does.

Yeah performance is all over the place on the PS3 version. Today I started the 360 version and after playing the PS3 version for like 20hrs or so the difference is huge between the two versions, game is almost always over 30fps and the controls feel much much tighter and less laggy IMO. If you can deal with tearing (which is less noticeable than it was on the streams I saw) then go with the 360 version.

Also another strange thing that I noticed in the PS3 version is that the sound mix is weird with some effects not loud enough and sometimes the sound effect when you hit an enemy sounds distorted with a kinda "metallic" sound. Anyone else having similar problems with the PS3 version? 360 sound seems fine from what I've played. :/

sixghost

I'm officially out of things to do with my souls. I don't want to over level, and I have like 50k just sitting there. SL65 or so. :(

65 really isn't that high unless you are really, really early in the game.

Sinner's Rise spoilers:

You mean just like Nito, Seath, Bed of Chaos, and the Kings?

It's exactly the same.

As much as I'm enjoying the game, this is one thing that does disappoint me. Like you said, there were so many moments in Dark Souls 1 where I would finish an area and come out somewhere I knew, but from a different angle, and it was one of the best feelings in the world. "Oh neat!" That rarely, if ever, happens in Dark Souls II. Each level actually kind of feels like it's own thing similar to Demon's Souls.

ElFly

So I don't become human anymore after helping beat a boss.

Do I have to be part of a special covenant for that?

This is really fucking me up and making me use effigies when it should be free.

Guevara

Use that key you got to open up some doors.

Wait. What? I think I got everything I can from this area for now. I'm up to the
King's door or whatever.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

There's a very nice ring that easily missed, you have to hug one of the walls and go up a hill to get to it.

Overlevelling in what way? Equipment has a stronger impact on progress anyway, and the matchmaking in PvP is based on the gathered souls, not the actual soul level.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I've been rolling with the flame longsword (currently +3) since I found it with my melee build (20 str, 13 dex at the moment). I have the large titanite needed to bring it to +4. Should I do that or should I be saving those for a better weapon later? Basically, am I going to have trouble acquiring materials in the future? So far the game seems less generous with titanite than DS1.

LProtag

Are there 5 bonfires per area, or just anywhere up to 5? I can't for the life of me figure out how there would be 4 more bonfires in some areas where I only have one.

NeededSleep

I helped beat a boss and I didn't get a token of fidelity

the game is fun but can't touch DS1. level design has yet to wow me.

Yup, its quite an odd direction they went with the game. It almost feels like a different developer house all together tried to make a souls game.

....I kinda miss the bloom effects from dark souls, they added pretty good atmosphere of fantasy/mystety.

Toma

I've been rolling with the flame longsword (currently +3) since I found it with my melee build (20 str, 13 dex at the moment). I have the large titanite needed to bring it to +4. Should I do that or should I be saving those for a better weapon later? Basically, am I going to have trouble acquiring materials in the future? So far the game seems less generous with titanite than DS1.

Titanite is very rare, but my Flame Sword +9 did me good, even in PvP. Just from the stuff you find, you can upgrade at least 3 weapons fully just by the titanite you find as treasures.

Guevara

Here's what's really weird about lighting. Most of the sconces I'm finding are in small areas, and when you light them you get cool shadow and lighting effects... and nothing else. There's basically no reason to waste the precious seconds of your torch. Feels like something that was never really fleshed out.

Obviously there are some places where torches are essential, but not early.

ViciousDS

Banned
Titanite is very rare, but my Flame Sword +9 did me good, even in PvP. Just from the stuff you find, you can upgrade at least 3 weapons fully just by the titanite you find as treasures.

I'm running a big strength build would you recommend the drangeluc great sword for most of the game? Or should I hold onto my shards for another sword down the line

ironcreed

Banned

I'm kind of right there with you. It's not just the 'honeymoon' effect, either. It simply feels bigger and better in every way to me. I love the gear, the slightly tweaked gameplay, the variety of locations and enemies, the sense of exploration and danger, the resource management aspect, the music and just the overall vibe. It's quite glorious.

Toma

Here's what's really weird about lighting. Most of the sconces I'm finding are in small areas, and when you light them you get cool shadow and lighting effects... and nothing else. There's basically no reason to waste the precious seconds of your torch. Feels like something that was never really fleshed out.

Obviously there are some places where torches are essential, but not early.

The current theory is that these areas were fleshed out and the game had a higher focus on shadows light integrated in the game, say you walk into a dark area, and are attacked from a dark corner. After you light the torch, accessing that area will be easier because you see the enemy next time.

That all got lost after they decided to cut the lighting stuff though, which is unfortunate.

sappyday

Idk I haven't gotten to those yet.

I mean the major four in DkS1. After defeating Nito, Seath, Four Kings, and Bed of Chaos a bonfire would just appear. With Ornstien and Smough you get a bonfire waiting for you.

But I understand what you mean. However, I think the level design makes up for it in DkS2.

Toma

I'm running a big strength build would you recommend the drangeluc great sword for most of the game? Or should I hold onto my shards for another sword down the line

The Drangleic sword is probably among the strongest/most versatile weapons for most of the early/mid game, yeah, but you need twinkling titanite to upgrade it, making it inferior to many other weapons that you upgrade to +10 with normal titanite. I actually had a +9 Great Club (or whatever its called) for boses, the Drangleic Sword +0 for sweeping smaller/faster enemies and the Flame Sword +9 for PvP (burn effect + fast pummeling).

at huntsman corpse(?) the beta level basically

cooping and I'm laughing at how many people are falling through the bridge

It was so nice to stumble across an area that I was half acquainted with after the nightmare that was the Lost Bastille. I've watched so much beta footage leading up to release that it almost feels homey.

AngryMoth

Upgraded my scimitar which was my main weapon to have poison effect not realising this would make it now do terrible damage. Not enough chunks to get another decent weapon so I'm feeling a little underpowered :p. Need to find a palestone.

Also,
smelter demon
was really tough for me, took over an hour before I finally bested him. Ironically I'm finding it easier to solo bosses because my summons always die before the boss gets down to half health.

ViciousDS

Banned
The Drangleic sword is probably among the strongest/most versatile weapons for most of the early/mid game, yeah, but you need twinkling titanite to upgrade it, making it inferior to many other weapons that you upgrade to +10 with normal titanite.

Thanks, I was just wondering if the flame sword to +9or10 right now would serve me better

ironcreed

Banned
The Drangleic sword is probably among the strongest/most versatile weapons for most of the early/mid game, yeah, but you need twinkling titanite to upgrade it, making it inferior to many other weapons that you upgrade to +10 with normal titanite.

Kind of like the new Drake Sword in a way.

Something I've never really understood is why people stop leveling or worry about "over leveling". Is it a PVP thing where if you are too high, it's hard to find fights with people? As someone who never messed with PVP in the previous Souls games, I was never sure why people stopped leveling and had like 99999999 souls. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom