• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lamp

How do you get into that? Do I need to use a certain number of blue cracked orbs?

You need to successfully help someone else beat a boss in co-op by being summoned. Then you get a Token of Fidelity and then the knight in Blue Cathedral will let you join that covenant.

Footos22

I cant put my finger on the reason, but the bosses in demons FELT more diverse, maybe because they also were quite different from the setup/arena these fights are in, like the vertical arena of the huge tower knight, or the dragon fight on the rooftop.

Yeah this, Demons was way better at this as well.

Demons had the best boss fights. They all felt unique. But even then it was still the same tactics for most of them.

I love these games for the sense of adventure more then the actual fights. Only boss I've ever had trouble with so far in all 3 games was megazord ornstein. But got him eventually.

Is getting summoned as a Blue Sentinel a rare occurrence? I've had it equipped for awhile while being human and nobody has summoned me :( Does it depend on what area youre in or it doesnt matter?

Also how come I still cant use my cracked blue eye orbs?

Ghazi

actually, I thought it was funny. you were probably soaked with oil. after getting soaked myself I killed the dudes and got ready for the boss fight, so I took out my pyro hand. put myself on fire. v_v

just wash it off in water.

That is hilarious, I thought it was some RNG chance thing with the fire and thought that would be dumb. That's awesome, actually!

So I just picked up the PS3 version...popped it in and uh...wow.

Played for about 20 minutes and holy crap, this game runs like garbage. Excuse my French there, but even though people were saying it runs worse than the 360 version I wasn't expecting it to feel as bad as it did.

If that's what the beginning of the game runs like, even if that's the worst of it, I don't know man. I don't know if I trust later parts of the game not to run like this again.
Think I'm going to go exchange this for the 360 version this afternoon. I can deal with tearing if it means not running like this does.

?? Something is wrong with your ps3...mine runs flawless, the fps issues of DS1 are gone, evenr reviewes commented on it

ViciousDS

Banned
I just beat
the guy at the blue cathedral is the drangelic sword and shield combo the best thing so far? Because it looks like it's going to be awhile before I can even upgrade these two items.

Pics_nao

So I uploaded my save using PS+ last night while at my cousins since I was going home for the first time all week. I knew I couldn't download the save more than once in 24 hours but when I tried it on my PS3, it said I'd have to wait until tonight until I can download it. I haven't downloaded it even once and the wait is killing me. Any way around this so I can get my save?

The Lamp

I walked into the (belfry spoiler)
gargoyles'
fight with a phantom buddy that I summoned to help me. Moments after I walk into the mist, someone invades me and my phantom buddy and I become separated by the fog wall.

I take on the first 30 seconds of the boss-fight on my own, meanwhile phantom buddy slays the living shit out of the invader like it's no big deal, walks through the mist and successfully helps me slay the rest of the boss fight. What a badass lol.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Might as well ask this again: Does anyone know how many successful invasions I have to do to max out devotion to the bell tower covenant?

?? Something is wrong with your ps3...mine runs flawless, the fps issues of DS1 are gone, evenr reviewes commented on it

Nah, nothing is wrong. I tested Dark Souls 1 and some other games to be sure.

You're telling me that opening area ran well for you? I'd love to see that. (Really, that's not a sarcastic quip) Ran awfully for me.

I walked into the (belfry spoiler)
gargoyles'
fight with a phantom buddy that I summoned to help me. Moments before I walk into the mist, someone invades me and my phantom buddy and I are separated by the fog wall.

I take on the first 30 seconds of the boss-fight on my own, meanwhile phantom buddy slays the living shit out of the invader like it's no big deal, walks through the mist and successfully helps me slay the rest of the boss fight. What a badass lol.

HAHA awesome, one of those moments no other game can get you. Sousl is awesome.

Just spent an incredibly frustrating hour on this

-Ignore the bonfire when I have 12,000 souls in the bank to explore a side-avenue. Die twice, 5 soul levels down the drain
-Explore area to see if new key will unlock a door, die twice, lose 3,000 souls and the door remains locked anyway
-Go through fog gate thinking 'can't be another boss so close to the last one.' Get molested. Die on the way back by jumping off a drop, forgetting about the increased fall damage. Lose 2,000 souls

Fuck's sake.

No shortcut between Cardinal Tower and The Pursuer, right? Can tell this boss is gonna take me a while

Nah, nothing is wrong. I tested Dark Souls 1 and some other games to be sure.

You're telling me that opening area run well for you? I'd love to see that. (Really, that's not a sarcastic quip) Ran awfully for me.

The whole game runs smooth, even reviews of the ps3 version say this. Mine runs great.

Ghazi

The game runs great on the 360, but man the tearing hurts my eyes so much. I want them to patch vsync in, even if the framerate goes down.

T.O.P

Banned

-Ignore the bonfire when I have 12,000 souls in the bank to explore a side-avenue. Die twice, 5 soul levels down the drain
-Explore area to see if new key will unlock a door, die twice, lose 3,000 souls and the door remains locked anyway
-Go through fog gate thinking 'can't be another boss so close to the last one.' Get molested. Die on the way back by jumping off a drop, forgetting about the increased fall damage. Lose 2,000 souls

I just lost 40k bro

being cocky is my weak spot

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Fuck's sake.

No shortcut between Cardinal Tower and The Pursuer, right? Can tell this boss is gonna take me a while

Best way to earn back lost souls in an area I find is to just spam your white soapstone. A few co-op runs in an area nets you a lot of souls back. Did this often after losing ~20,000 souls on a failed corpse run in No Man's wharf. I earned back most of it after 3 or so summon runs, especially since I exhausted many of the enemies in my game and the place was half-empty.

Guevara

Damage type (Slash/Thrust/Strike/etc.) seems to matter so much more in this game. I feel bad for anyone trying to use Slash.

Strike is like the armor destroyer, and 50% of the serious mobs are wearing armor. The regular old mace just destroys.

The Lamp

Some of these bonfires are freaking stupid.

The one in Sinner's Rise is ridiculous because it's right next to some crossbow enemies that as soon as you spawn at that bonfire, they start firing at you and running toward you. I thought bonfires were supposed to be a safe location of rest? wtf

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I helped beat a boss and I didn't get a token of fidelity

the game is fun but can't touch DS1. level design has yet to wow me.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

The one in Sinner's Rise is ridiculous because it's right next to some crossbow enemies that as soon as you spawn at that bonfire, they start firing at you and running toward you. I thought bonfires were supposed to be a safe location of rest? wtf

Just make it a "safe" location. Takes like 5 minutes.

Guevara

I agree. If I had to sum up the game at this point I'd say it's a bunch of "b-side" levels left over from DaS (and maybe DeS), sort of stapled together. Many areas even have a sort of unfinished quality to them.

K.Sabot

Man parrying is absolutely useless in pvp and most of the game.

Can't parry people being dumb and mashing because you get caught in the blockstring.

Prodigal

Banned

Yeah I learned that the hard way when I warped back there and walked away while it was loading.

Leezard

Damage type (Slash/Thrust/Strike/etc.) seems to matter so much more in this game. I feel bad for anyone trying to use Slash.

Strike is like the armor destroyer, and 50% of the serious mobs are wearing armor. The regular old mace just destroys.

Yeah, I've used the starting mace (I'm a cleric) so much thanks to this. Strike seems really useful this time around.

Best way to earn back lost souls in an area I find is to just spam your white soapstone. A few co-op runs in an area nets you a lot of souls back. Did this often after losing ~20,000 souls on a failed corpse run in No Man's wharf. I earned back most of it after 3 or so summon runs, especially since I exhausted many of the enemies in my game and the place was half-empty.

Will try that later cheers. Been at 50% health for like 5 hours now, as I'm for some reason afraid of running out of Effigies at a bad time

Beating a boss should put you back at 100% health imo

Man, I somehow goofed up the Pate and Creighton side quest.

When I got to the den, they were fighting. I decided to kill Pate. I picked up Pate's loot (which I guess is where I messed up since Creighton apparently wants the ring from him. All he said after that was "You weren't friends with him were you? Then I have no use for you etc" and I didn't get the Den Key

So much for those awesome bracers, I'll have to make sure I get it right next character.

isual

later on.

Castle of eternal rain, the valley of wings, and a place that is reminiscent of a memory..

Man, I somehow goofed up the Pate and Creighton side quest.

When I got to the den, they were fighting. I decided to kill Pate. I picked up Pate's loot (which I guess is where I messed up since Creighton apparently wants the ring from him. All he said after that was "You weren't friends with him were you? Then I have no use for you etc" and I didn't get the Den Key

So much for those awesome bracers, I'll have to make sure I get it right next character.

where's the den ?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So I just picked up the PS3 version...popped it in and uh...wow.

Played for about 20 minutes and holy crap, this game runs like garbage. Excuse my French there, but even though people were saying it runs worse than the 360 version I wasn't expecting it to feel as bad as it did.

If that's what the beginning of the game runs like, even if that's the worst of it, I don't know man. I don't know if I trust later parts of the game not to run like this again.
Think I'm going to go exchange this for the 360 version this afternoon. I can deal with tearing if it means not running like this does.

PS3 is really rough in the first several starter areas. Even panning the camera feels laggy. I'm a bit deeper and some of the later zones feel much smoother in terms of performance, noticeable when I revisit Majula and the sluggishness returns. :/

I did pop in DS1 on 360 last night and ran through Undead Burg and Parish again to compare on a new char., also loading up some random later areas on past saves. Outside of the new torch effect in DS2 being stronger, DS1 is a LOT sharper in terms of visual quality and even art direction I still find. Enemies just look more detailed and impressive(the massive black knight with the greatshield in the Parish church alone is far more impressive than anything I've seen in DS2 so far), and the general environment layout and design is still stronger. Reaching the top of the first bell tower and soaking in the view again, noticing Anor Lando, Undead Burg, and the sun rays through the clouds...DS2 just hasn't been so gorgeous yet. Even the most bland looking rooms with middling textures at least have some nice normal maps that don't seem to exist in the cement corridors of DS2. Hell, comparing the "knight armor" and its buckles and gleaming steel in DS1 to the same armor in DS2, the detail downgrade is so apparent. :( Not sure how the 360 version compares of DS2 since I went PS3 this time.

Then again, so many late game areas of DS1 are really rough looking. Lost Izaleth, Tomb of Giants, for example. DS2 so far feels more on par with those locations in terms of detail and visual quality. Framerate is better overall in DS1 360 than DS2 PS3 with the exception of Blight Town. But whatever, I am having a great time with DS2 considering the 15-ish hours I've logged this week.

Toma

When you start at the bonfire near McDuff, walk up the stairs, and then take the first path to the right (with the dog and the treasure). From there you can jump down to the side, right into the door, making it a shortcut for boss runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom