• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ended up getting the Zwei and the Claymore later in the game then I expected and had already upgraded a few other weapons. Not sure If I want to make the switch back now... i'm sure the number crunchers will figure out which weapons are "best" in a few weeks. That said, I'm having a blast with my Greatsword +10
Yeah I got my Greatsword up to +9, and a Mastodon Greatsword to. Both have really good STR scaling so I don't know if I want to go back. Plus the ATK on the Greatsword is ridiculous! We'll see though.

Prototype

So... I'm just a few hours in, but the first impression is that this is much worse than Dark Souls. Game looks like shit, the areas are so fucking boring and the loading times are drafted straight from hell. What is consensus of this game?

i'm playing on ps3 and the game doesn't look an worse then DS1 and while I've read reports of people claiming 30sec+ load times, I've yet to experience anything like that. It's definitely a Souls game. If you like the first 2, you will more then likely enjoy this one as well.

Yeah I got my Greatsword up to +9, and a Mastodon Greatsword to. Both have really good STR scaling so I don't know if I want to go back. Plus the ATK on the Greatsword is ridiculous! We'll see though.

for whatever reason those mastadon guys love dropping my their boots over and over lol. Never got the sword drop, I may have to go back and farm just to have it in the collection.

In the (early game)
Forest of Lost Giants, there is loot on a platform just above the place where 2 Hollow Soldiers throw firebombs at you, near one of those turtle enemies

When I try jumping to it, I fall short even when I unequip everything. Do I just have to get the timing right, or is there another way to get there?

Deitus

I'm waiting for the PC version, but I have a few questions I'd like to ask. Please keep any answers as un-spoilery as you can, and if an answer really requires serious spoilers, just let me know. I haven't been reading this thread, so if some of these questions have obvious answers, please bear with me.

1. Is playing the base Deprived without any equipment viable for the entire game (I know the answer has to be no, but I can dream)?
2. Is a level 1 run viable in general?
3. Do fists have a power stance?
4. Can you parry while in the power stance, or with any weapon in the off hand while not in the power stance?
5. Can you parry while two-handing a weapon (I read you could somewhere, just want to confirm)?
6. Is dodging without high Adaptibility seriously compromised?
7. Since you're not invincible during ripostes/backstabs anymore, can they be interrupted by enemy attacks?
8. I read that guard breaks can lead into ripostes now too. Is this true?
9. How does the Bonfire Ascetic work, does it remix enemy positions or just buff them a la the other games' new game plus? If not, is there any enemy position/quantity remixing in general, similar to black world tendency or gravelord infection?
10. For how many NG+ rounds does difficulty increase, and does that increase include things other than enemy buffs?
11. Are upgrade paths more accessible now in general, and easier to understand?
12. Can rings be upgraded now? How does that work?
13. Does enemy extinction apply to all enemies? What causes it to happen?
14. Is there much music performed by a live orchestra? All the boss music I've heard is synth, and it's really disappointing.

1. I think so, as fists scale now. It would probably still be tedious though.
2. Can't speak from experience, but I imagine it would still be possible. Though rolling ability being tied to the adaptability stat is going to make it harder (or more annoying) in this game.
3. I'm pretty sure they don't.
4. You cannot parry in power stance. You can parry with certain weapons in your offhand, as long as you are not in power stance. Curved swords for instance, and I imagine parrying dagger as well. Most weapons do not allow you to parry with them in your off hand though.
5. Yes you can parry while 2 handing in this game.
6. Yes it is seriously compromised. You can still get the faster roll animation, and a long ranged dodge if your equip load is low, but there is a bit more of a delay, and much less invincibility with low adaptability.
7. I haven't been interrupted during a backstab. I think this would only happen if you got hit with an attack that had knockback. But the damage you take during the animation is seriously reduced, so I think they toned down this "feature" from the beta.
8. I have heard this as well, but haven't seen it first hand.
9. Basically, it respawns all of the enemies in an area, and puts them in NG+ difficulty. If you have depleted an enemy, they will be returned until you kill them enough times to deplete them again. It also revives bosses, and certain treasures.
10. I read that it tops out on NG+7. But I'm nowhere near that myself, so I can't say much more about that.
11. Don't know
12. I don't think so, but maybe I'm not far enough.
13. I'm pretty sure it does. It is caused by killing that enemy a certain number of times (15?)
14. I haven't really gotten far enough to answer this. I've only encountered two bosses so far. I don't remember any synth though, unless I'm mistaking your meaning here.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
GAF...
3of3ny.jpg

Finally beated the game, ending was kind of 'meh' but holy fuck this was one hell of a ride. Killed almost all bosses except for
Darklurker
and the
Ancient Dragon
. Can't wait for the Lore thread, lots of fun speculation to have.

Here are my stats:

SL 142
Time Played: 28 hours

Now on to NG+ \[-]/

Now since you finished it you could work on part of the lore thread afterall I think it would be better if its a cooperative work with the gaf community.

AngryMoth

So this game is pretty long huh? 45 hours in and don't seem to be too close to the end yet. Just made it to
drangleic castle
. Can someone explain to me how opening the door to that place works, I was stood around trying to figure it out for ages and then it just opened for some reason.
I thought those soldiers were spawning infinitely but my guess is you just have to kill like 20 of them to active the door
? Anyway, was super tense as I was carrying a bunch of souls around but didn't want to bone and have to run back all the way from shaded woods, man did it feel like a long way to that bonfire.

Phatmac

Wow I fucking summoned a guy to help fight the smelter demon and he fucking fought with his fists doing no damage. I'm seriously about to stop playing this game. Nothing that I do is working and I have to kill the archer or else he kills me and I'm almost out of arrows. Fuck this.

summon her for 3/4 available boss fights and she has to survive when you defeat the boss

only she's pretty much useless

Wait, what questline are you talking about? I don't remember summoning anyone for help on
Old Sinner
. Didn't know there was an option for help on that one from a NPC. I did use one NPC for the Sentinels, though.

Got my first large soul or whatever they're called. The boss battle to get it was fucking intense, man. I summoned two phantoms to help and pelted the boss with magic while they attacked it melee, and as I ran out of spells both the phantoms died and the boss still had about 1/8 of his health bar yet, so it went down to a one-on-one melee duel between the two of us that I won by a squeaker. Damn exhilarating.

On another note, I wish it was easier to find arrows. As much as I want to use my bow, the fact that I have so few arrows makes it easier to rely on spells since they replenish. Also, I'm a little sick of every basic enemy I come across having a 4-hit combo move set they always use. Not so much because of it hitting, but it takes so long to wait for them to move through the combo so I can kill them.

Just gonna throw this out there as a question: I'm SL 81 right now, am I overleveled for the following locations? (lots of mid-ish?-game location spoilers)
I think the only places open to me right now are the Shaded Wood and the Earthen Peak or whatever. I tried doing the Shaded Wood before Sinner's Rise but all the enemies were kicking my ass on top of all the cursing. Earthen Peak seems like it's more reasonable, but all those giant enemies in Harvest Valley were making me wonder if I needed to be a higher level or not. Also is there a boss in Harvest Valley that I missed? Or is it like a Valley of the Drakes location?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
fuck i'm fucking stucked hopelessly in the
3 sentinels boss fight
, i wasted all of my fucking effigies on random assholes who got themselves killed straight away or the NPC helper. I now have to farm souls to get a single effigy which btw they have a limited stock of. The worst part is that i can handle one just fine is when the two fuckers come up to the ledge i get blown up instantly there or on the floor. Help me guys! T_T

2AdEPT

i saw a bonfire hidden between walls in
lost bastille

how can i get there? :D

is there anything in your environment that might help get you behind it?

I am now cursed....got really hard set on doing Pursuer solo and despite getting close to killing him, he cursed me now. Is it like dark1 and only way to reverse is to find a curse stone, or can I just co-op to get the health levels back? If I need a stone, how far do I gotta go to get one?

mellow

what happen if you do or you dont do that?

it's a trophy related to inheriting her equipment, and I think you maybe don't get to the end of her questline if so

Wait, what questline are you talking about? I don't remember summoning anyone for help on
Old Sinner
. Didn't know there was an option for help on that one from a NPC. I did use one NPC for the Sentinels, though.

lucatiel

anyone know if there are any 100% flame resistant shields besides the gyrm greatshield thing? you need 32 str to use it properly :/

d00d3n

The limited-respawn enemy design is starting to grow on me. When you are struggling with a boss battle it is kind of great that getting there gets easier after five or so attempts. I still think it would have been nice to be able to repopulate areas in some way, but I guess the main point of the system is to prevent grinding.

T.O.P

Banned
Capped at 75 today and joined the Blood Covenant

This game is absolutely glorious

Actually, i'm having much more fun with this then with DkS, no idea why (probably because i played it to death and it makes me sick just to think about it lol)

But really, the exploration is much more satisfing and interesting here

Only thing i thought it was bad were the boss fights, but after the fourth boss, shits actually goes down and things start to get interesting

love it love it love it :)

Wow I fucking summoned a guy to help fight the smelter demon and he fucking fought with his fists doing no damage. I'm seriously about to stop playing this game. Nothing that I do is working and I have to kill the archer or else he kills me and I'm almost out of arrows. Fuck this.

I would seriously consider purchasing some arrows

skynidas

Banned
Is it? Getting hit in general will often bring you near death. You can't go Four Kings in this game.

i already beat the game and blocking with good poise and a good shield was not hard. of course i rolled to evade some stuff but i blocked a lot of things with my shield and with my armor with big poise.

Prototype

Yay lore thread

the further I get into the game the more I want to read this.

I felt that in Demons and Dark1 I knew what was generally going on and what my purpose was. It feels a little less clear in this game. I'm not sure why my character is doing what he's doing for the most part lol.

Deitus

just realized you can now effectively go lefty. equip shield in right hand, weapon in left hand, lefty all day.

Yeah, and when you 2 hand your left handed weapon, the guard/parry buttons are on R1 and R2.

It's a nice touch, but it has thrown me off a couple of times when I went to attack and parried instead.

for whatever reason those mastadon guys love dropping my their boots over and over lol. Never got the sword drop, I may have to go back and farm just to have it in the collection.

I got one by killing spiders at the Chapel Threshold in Upper Earthen Peak. They drop all kinds of weapons. It also helped that I had a Traveling Merchant Hat too. Yeah I know it's weird.

Erekiddo

Near the second bonfire in the Forest of the Last Giant, there's a door on a bridge blocked by tons of boulders. Anyone know how to blow these up?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
fuck i'm fucking stucked hopelessly in the
3 sentinels boss fight
, i wasted all of my fucking effigies on random assholes who got themselves killed straight away or the NPC helper. I now have to farm souls to get a single effigy which btw they have a limited stock of. The worst part is that i can handle one just fine is when the two fuckers come up to the ledge i get blown up instantly there or on the floor. Help me guys! T_T

Things to note about that fight:

One on one they are very easy. Just do a few runs to learn the pattern of the attacks. They are all blockable if you have decent endurance (say, 10-15) and also easily dodgeable (which is what I mostly did).

Two on one is more difficult. Always have the two on screen so that one doesn't surprise you while you're locked into an animation, but the name of the game is basically to wait till there's an opening and attack. Patience is key. Also that big spinning attack is pretty easy to block, though give yourself a bit more room to prevent less hits from connecting, as each hit will drain your stamina more.

Honestly I have the most trouble when I tried to summon for him. I became to focused on my summons instead of focusing entirely on the sentinels. Plus summoning means you do less damage unless it's the NPC summon.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
the further I get into the game the more I want to read this.

I felt that in Demons and Dark1 I knew what was generally going on and what my purpose was. It feels a little less clear in this game. I'm not sure why my character is doing what he's doing for the most part lol.

Agreed, the backstory here is a little more 'hidden' than in Dark Souls.

Randam

the game is getting uglier and uglier. and the world design more boring and boring.

and all 9 bosses I beat so far were soo lame.

design and combat.

convo

10. For how many NG+ rounds does difficulty increase, and does that increase include things other than enemy buffs?

Enemy positions and types are changed, enemies that are exclusive to ng+ are added.Items you can pick up are either different and/ or of higher tier.
Merchant sell different items.And some armor you can only get in ng+

And a shit ton of other surprises that you would not have expected.
It's enough to make it feel like a different game. People are going to get crushed to dust, and i believe sl1-gimmick into ng+ runs are going to be next to impossible now.

Donuts

I bought all 50 from the blacksmith dunno where else to get some. No I'm running out of humanity..

Learn the smelter demon's pattern. You can dodge 100% of his attacks. I 2 handed my scimitar + 3 to kill him. You can also run straight to the boss and skip all mobs. Should probably also use a blunt weapon against him (I didn't consider it at the time)

Hypron

You don't need to kill the archer. Running past him and entering the door works quite well, it takes him a lot of time to swap weapons and start attacking you.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Yay lore thread
Lol we need to work in cooperation in order to make it work. My grammar is messy so the less involvement from me the better. I could work the OT cause it wasnt too much text but the lore thread I will work with others in order to bring the best for it.

Only thing i thought it was bad were the boss fights, but after the fourth boss, shits actually goes down and things start to get interesting

love it love it love it :)

I think the only bad design decision on From's part is that they grouped similar style boss fights together in the game. Like you use a lot of the same tactics against the first early bosses, then there's another group of bosses after that which are different, but they're similar tactic wise to each other. If they'd done the same bosses, but kind of shuffled them around a bit so the styles varied, I think people would have had less of an issue.

Like...Dark Souls the first four bosses (usually) are Taurus Demon -> Bell Gargoyles -> Capra Demon -> Gaping Dragon. All four of those require different tactics based on the battle arena and attack style. Comparatively in Dark Souls II you generally have as the first four
Last Giant -> Pursuer -> Dragonrider -> Old Dragonslayer and all of them are basically the same: one-on-one melee in a medium-sized arena. It doesn't help that you fight them all in very quick succession if you explore Forest of the Giants first.

I greatly appreciate the bonfire placements now. They could be pretty unforgiving in Dark Souls 1.

I'm about 7 or 8 bosses in, I'd say this is on par with the DS1. Really solid so far

The crazy thing about this game is that avoiding a lot of pain hinges on finding the cling ring. I have over 20 effigies just sitting here not being used as I murder bosses with no compelling reasons to restore my humanity yet, over half way through the game. It's not the best design.

I killed the Smelter Demon first attempt. The mace from the first blacksmith just wrecks shit.

Hypron

I think the only bad design decision on From's part is that they grouped similar style boss fights together in the game. Like you use a lot of the same tactics against the first early bosses, then there's another group of bosses after that which are different, but they're similar tactic wise to each other. If they'd done the same bosses, but kind of shuffled them around a bit so the styles varied, I think people would have had less of an issue.

Like...Dark Souls the first four bosses (usually) are Taurus Demon -> Bell Gargoyles -> Capra Demon -> Gaping Dragon. All four of those require different tactics based on the battle arena and attack style. Comparatively in Dark Souls II you generally have as the first four
Last Giant -> Pursuer -> Dragonrider -> Old Dragonslayer and all of them are basically the same: one-on-one melee in a medium-sized arena. It doesn't help that you fight them all in very quick succession if you explore Forest of the Giants first.

The first four bosses will change drastically depending on where you go. I also find it weird that someone would go for the
dragonrider
instead of the
sentinels
after beating the
pursuer
, since you'd have to backtrack to do that. It just seemed like going forward once I reached bastille was the thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom