• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
Guys, remember the Gargoyles in Dark Souls?

Those were the good old days.

there is a similar fight in this game with more gargoyles that look cooler. (they keep spawning until you kill through their collective life bar) also the roof is similar.

sixghost

Man, I thought we were sorcerers, not sword and shield weilding dudes.

Fine, I guess I'm getting my ass kicked 'cause I focused too much on magic anyways. Guess I'll do co-op a bunch to gain souls.
Keep in mind that you need stamina to do mage stuff too. Casting spells costs stamina, dodging and running away costs stamina. Even if you're just standing there spamming soul arrows you need stamina. Likewise for health and adaptability. Even if you want to be a pure mage, you're going to need to dodge attacks.
Ok I'm changing my mind about sorcery. After about 15
Bell Covenant
summons, I can say it's pretty great. Especially after mixing it up with fast normal soul arrows and the slow homing soul arrows. Once I get stuff like Homing Soulmass and Soul Spear (if they're in the game), I'll be rockin' this game.

Some people have been pretty down on magic in this thread, but stick to it and you'll be a god by the end of the game. Some of these bosses are dying in 4 soul spears, and the last couple PvP fights I've had were over in seconds.

Donuts

Take them on one at a time. Don't rush in and let them gang up on you. After that they have an easy attack pattern to recognize.

A question to you about your Smelter Demon fight.
Did you see that NPC after the fight at all? She died during my fight and i haven't seen her since. I enjoyed her backstory :(

Redd

Having a problem with summoning my friend. We both have the name engraved ring, both have the same god. Problem is I can summon him all day everyday but he can't summon me because he never sees my summon sign. We both can easily summon other people though. Even tried going to new areas we haven't killed the boss. I can't figure it out and was hoping anyone here has a solution.

TraBuch

Banned
If anyone's looking for a good Quality straight sword,
turn in 20 Sunlight Mdals at the sunbros altar. You get the Sun Sword, which has A/A Str/Dex scaling at +10 with a 1hR1 slash attack and a 1hR2 thrust attack. Fantastic weapon.

Dresden

Having a problem with summoning my friend. We both have the name engraved ring, both have the same god. Problem is I can summon him all day everyday but he can't summon me because he never sees my summon sign. We both can easily summon other people though. Even tried going to new areas we haven't killed the boss. I can't figure it out and was hoping anyone here has a solution.

What's his soul memory compared to yours? Just curious.

Shinta

Banned
I'm probably 25% through the game at this point. I'm enjoying it a lot less than I expected. Rating it on its own, it's still a fine game and I'm glad I got it. But so far it's my least favorite of the 3.

It's starting to finally feel pretty stale. So many areas that are virtually the same as past games. Same old woman droning on every time you try to level up.

They need to go back to the drawing board on the next one.

A lot of the combat feels sloppier. Estoc and spear miss constantly. Dual wield enemies are awkward. Enemies spin around you, constantly tracking in weird ways when you circle them.

And the voice acting is so bad it takes me out of the game.

Phatmac

A question to you about your Smelter Demon fight.
Did you see that NPC after the fight at all? She died during my fight and i haven't seen her since. I enjoyed her backstory :(
I think she lived during it. I didn't see her sigh during the sinner battle. I met her after the sinner fight and she mentioned that she was sick. I believe she lived during the smelter fight.

void666

Banned
LOL

Since Demon's Souls I've been so afraid of hitting NPCs that I even go as far as taking my fingers off of the controller triggers any time I'm near them.

I loaded up my DS2 save the other day and accidentally hit the Estus/Leveling chick. I just quit out through the XMB immediately and re-loaded.

Some trigger discipline. Lol
I accidentally hit 2 npcs so far.
But none got upset. Happens sometimes when i rest the controller on my lap.

FluxWaveZ

Keep in mind that you need stamina to do mage stuff too. Casting spells costs stamina, dodging and running away costs stamina. Even if you're just standing there spamming soul arrows you need stamina. Likewise for health and adaptability. Even if you want to be a pure mage, you're going to need to dodge attacks.

Yeah, guess I could think of the stamina bar as an MP bar... which also depletes while running and dodging.

Got two effigies on my quest for the carpenter and had a party of 3 going against the boss, but I got him aggro'd first and cut me down in two swings.

Baliis

I'm sure this will be explained eventually, but when can I start dropping a sign to be summoned by other players for bosses? I assume I need a soapstone like in the first one but no idea where to get it.

skynidas

Banned
I'm sure this will be explained eventually, but when can I start dropping a sign to be summoned by other players for bosses? I assume I need a soapstone like in the first one but no idea where to get it.

you need a soapstone that you get from Pate, a guy in the forest ruins

Soooo, went ahead and exchanged the PS3 version for the 360 version after being disappointed with the PS3 version's performance.

Yeah, even with the tearing this is way better in my opinion. The large framerate difference is abundantly clear. The tearing is noticeable but not that bad really. I've seen worse, this isn't pre-patch Darksiders or anything.

If anyone is on the fence about which version to get...yeah I'd strongly recommend the 360 version.

Redd

thanks dudes.

upper right on the status page, it's your accumulated souls through the entire game. Supposedly that's what determines online matching, not your soul level.

Hmmmmm, so if I can summon him but he can't summon me it's because were so far apart in soul gathering?

Bedlam

Just beat the Shaded Woods boss. Man, the art style in this game is extremely inconsistent. That area didn't look good at all (I did like the foggy part though). If I was a producer at From, I would've just cut that whole part from the game.

You can't finish this game as a sorcerer without help from online players. It's fucking impossible. Patch this asap FROM. So much bullshit.
At first (late game spoiler)
the smelter demon
and now
the old iron king

Ridiculous.

Dresden

Hmmmmm, so if I can summon him but he can't summon me it's because were so far apart in soul gathering?

Well, that's what I want to know. Is he higher or lower than you, etc. If he's higher and he can't summon you, but you can summon him, that might say something.

Phatmac

Uhhh.. Just fought the ghost of the pursuer or a mimic pursuer in the boss stage of the smelter demon... Wtf is going on!?!?!?!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Uhhh.. Just fought the ghost of the pursuer or a mimic pursuer in the boss stage of the smelter demon... Wtf is going on!?!?!?!

Fuckisms
KuGsj.gif

Endgame Boss(?) Question:

Do all the random Giants have this dream thing? Or just the one behind the king's door? Because I tried fighting that dude... it did not end well. Without going into too much detail, is there some kinda gimmick to that fight?

skynidas

Banned
Endgame Boss(?) Question:

Do all the random Giants have this dream thing? Or just the one behind the king's door? Because I tried fighting that dude... it did not end well. Without going into too much detail, is there some kinda gimmick to that fight?

nope, no gimmick, and yes, there are other giants with dreams, two more of them, i would do those first

skynidas

Banned
When does he give it to you? I've met him once already but don't remember him giving me anything.
you have to talk to him, then clear the area with the ballistas, and talk to him again and he will give you the normal - sized soapstone. you can also get a small soapstone after you fight the last giant boss

Farooq

Banned
Going back to this, I don't see how they can hit 500+ atk with it with 50 faith, unless their strength is incredibly high or the scaling picks up in the next twenty level ups. At 30 faith my sword is at 363 ATK (12str/10dex/30fth), and the last level gave me only a point increase in atk.

Yeah, it looks like they had high strength as well. With just Faith you get an AR around 400.

Is there a feel for a soft level limit yet? I'm at level 120, and I feel it's not enough. (Obviously, fist time through I don't have an optimal build.)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What in the fuck at this Sinners' Rise enemy that is destroying me.

Are there any other areas I could go to? So far:
I've been to Forest of Fallen Giants, Heide's Tower of Flame, No-man's Wharf, and the Lost Bastille.

NIN90

How'd you get it? Didn't seem to drop if I give crowley the silky stones

It was a crow reward, yeah.

What in the fuck at this Sinners' Rise enemy that is destroying me.

Are there any other areas I could go to? So far:
I've been to Forest of Fallen Giants, Heide's Tower of Flame, No-man's Wharf, and the Lost Bastille.

The miracle lady from Heide's should be in the tunnel between Majula and Heide's. You can pay her 2k to get access to a new area.
Or drop down the pit in Majula.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom