• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferr986

Where can I find large titanite shards?. I feel like I need to upgrade both my fire longsword+3 and my bastard sword+3 to continue, but I have 0 of the items needed.

SharkJAW

Where can I find large titanite shards?. I feel like I need to upgrade both my fire longsword+3 and my bastard sword+3 to continue, but I have 0 of the items needed.
You can buy them off McDuff if you've found the dull ember. Otherwise, I've gotten drops for them from mobs in Tsetlora (sp?) and a few other places I can't remember. I remember that there is one in the tower you find Lucatiel in on the second floor.

ElFly

What's a good element to enchant a large club.

I am a faith/str oriented guy. Should I go with Lightning, and risk that enemies resist all my stuff?

Also got the Heide Sword.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
GAF...
3of3ny.jpg

Finally beated the game, ending was kind of 'meh' but holy fuck this was one hell of a ride. Killed almost all bosses except for
Darklurker
and the
Ancient Dragon
. Can't wait for the Lore thread, lots of fun speculation to have.

Here are my stats:

SL 142
Time Played: 28 hours

Now on to NG+ \[-]/

2AdEPT

I started getting them when I killed Pursuer and moved on to the Bastille. I assume once you see the blacksmith there that you will have a couple...hope that blacksmith sells them?!?!?!!?!?

putarorex

I played about 7 hours yesterday. It seems easier to level this time around, but I am not sure how to spend my points so I am kind of a jack of all trades at SL 38, with no stat over 20. In DS 1 I was a pyromander with a spear and really enjoyed that, but this time I am using the Knight's starting broadsword and an estus, which seem to be working pretty well.

I've kind of ruined every boss fight so far by summoning two people before I go in and letting them do most of the damage. Is there any downside to summoning people (fewer souls or something)? I don't really mind getting help because I enjoy exploring more than figuring out the boss fights.

Hypron

I do have the ring on, at least, but it doesn't matter much when he literally one-shots my guy depending on the kind of attack the boss lands.

I really need a shield for this? Man, I never wanted to put any points into STR and grinding for that's gonna take forever. What a pain.

The ring is only good for when you have shield that doesn't have 100% physical defense. Every time you block with one of those you lose a little bit of health, and having the ring helps to prevent those little bits of health to accumulate to a point where you have to heal yourself.

You probably don't need a shield but it's always useful to have a good one. There are a lot of bosses (and even normal enemies) in this game that have attacks that are hard to avoid but that can easily be tanked.

Ferr986

You can buy them off McDuff if you've found the dull ember. Otherwise, I've gotten drops for them from mobs in Tsetlora (sp?) and a few other places I can't remember. I remember that there is one in the tower you find Lucatiel in on the second floor.

Didnt find that McDuff dude... didnt get to Tsetlrora ... guess I still have a long way to go yet

I started getting them when I killed Pursuer and moved on to the Bastille. I assume once you see the blacksmith there that you will have a couple...hope that blacksmith sells them?!?!?!!?!?

Ah, Lost Batille? I found the boss fog door but I was to scared to enter lol. I heard that battle was hard so I went to Huntsman forest

Lucent

GAF...
3of3ny.jpg

Finally beated the game, ending was kind of 'meh' but holy fuck this was one hell of a ride. Killed almost all bosses except for
Darklurker
and the
Ancient Dragon

Here are my stats:

SL 142

Now on to NG+ \[-]/

Wow you're fast...I've probably got at least 20 hours and am only maybe half that level and I think I've only defeated 9 bosses so far.

sixghost

Dammit, as a magic user I can't take down the
Sinner's Rise boss who weilds that big sword in the darkness.
Even with a torch, the lock-on gets messed up. Haven't had any success even with
Lucatiel assisting me
and now I'm out of effigies.

I ran into that same problem. I just left him and went to do other areas like the well in Majula, then crushed him later on. He's just a really bad matchup for a magic user early on.

GAF...

Darklurker
and the
Ancient Dragon

Here are my stats:

SL 142

Now on to NG+ \[-]/

Congratualtions and wow that's fast. I think I have the same time and I'm only in
Iron Keep

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It was probably changed because the durability mechanic is so much pronounced this time around. Going around clanging your weapon on every wall will damage your weapon in short order.

So what you're saying is I should roll through stuff instead of attacking it more, hah. I have had my weapon warn me/break on the last two bosses I've fought.

It does make sense but it would be nice if the tutorial stuff had some mandatory illusory wall to show the change. I thought I was just being trolled by all the messages.

2AdEPT

GAF...

Darklurker
and the
Ancient Dragon

Here are my stats:

SL 142

Now on to NG+ \[-]/

Wow, I know I'm laggin behind as I started over to record my playthrough 'let's play style', but geesh! I thought is was going to take people a little longer! How long do you think it will take to do a speed run? Took Lobos Jr. 21 hours to do it all in one sitting. But not a speed run obviously.

FluxWaveZ

The ring is only good for when you have shield that doesn't have 100% physical defense. Every time you block with one of those you lose a little bit of health, and having the ring helps to prevent those little bits of health to accumulate to a point where you have to heal yourself.

You probably don't need a shield but it's always useful to have a good one. There are a lot of bosses (and even normal enemies) in this game that have attacks that are hard to avoid but that can easily be tanked.

Guess I'm going to have to find another strategy, 'cause I'm seriously thinking of just giving up. Is it more possible than impossible to beat this boss with 665 total HP? I have about half that right now since I've kept dying in undead form. Using a shield with a min. 6 STR requirement despite my 3 STR and the boss takes out but a sliver of my health in a single swing anyways.

I ran into that same problem. I just left him and went to do other areas like the well in Majula, then crushed him later on. He's just a really bad matchup for a magic user early on.

Alright, thanks. Might have to just give this area in particular up and do other things.

Chuck

Still without luck
are there some illusory walls that can't be discovered unless you're hollowed or something?

nvm, just saw.

so wait, to open up hidden passages you now hit A next to the wall instead of hitting it? Do I need to go back to all the suspect walls I swatted at and hit A instead?

wtf...

Zeliard

I've kind of ruined every boss fight so far by summoning two people before I go in and letting them do most of the damage. Is there any downside to summoning people (fewer souls or something)? I don't really mind getting help because I enjoy exploring more than figuring out the boss fights.

There shouldn't be any difference in Souls gained. The downside would be what you've noted - that the people you summon can end up doing most of the damage and your sense of accomplishment may be lessened.

Personally when I'm summoned, I try to be reasonable about the damage I do, mostly focusing on taking the boss' aggro if I can and letting the host wail on them. I also usually try to let the host get the killing blow in, though sometimes the other phantom takes it.

Hypron

So what you're saying is I should roll through stuff instead of attacking it more, hah. I have had my weapon warn me/break on the last two bosses I've fought.

It does make sense but it would be nice if the tutorial stuff had some mandatory illusory wall to show the change. I thought I was just being trolled by all the messages.

Haha same. Before reading this thread I thought the only way to go through illusory walls was to get use a pharros lockstone, because when you put one of those in a pharros contraption you can make walls disappear by hitting them.

So the ladder
how many souls should I give him.

Oh and also what did the pharros stone in the medusa lady lair do? It made a puddle of water in front of it.

I played about 7 hours yesterday. It seems easier to level this time around, but I am not sure how to spend my points so I am kind of a jack of all trades at SL 38, with no stat over 20. In DS 1 I was a pyromander with a spear and really enjoyed that, but this time I am using the Knight's starting broadsword and an estus, which seem to be working pretty well.

You don't have to feel bad. The bosses are all garbage and there's no fun in watching them do the same fucking animation 1000 times before they eventually die. I've just started summing like you because otherwise every fight is just drawn out and boring.

Dresden

So the ladder
how many souls should I give him.

500 souls gets you a safer jump down to the first platform

middle one is useless

12k ladder is only needed if you're a sorceror or a cleric, since it leads to a door that you can unlock, containing the spells
Soul Vortex and Great Lightning Spear

The Lamp

Blue Sentinels covenant is horseshit. What was From thinking? You can't help people unless they're in the WotB covenant + theyre wearing the ring + they're being invaded? I can't connect to anyone's world! If the traffic for this covenant is so low at launch its going to be nonexistent in a few weeks. What a waste!

sixghost

I need advice, or I might be screwed (concerning boss at about a SL 74 game point):

I'm at Sinner's Rise and I can't defeat The Lost Sinner; I've lost about 30k souls to this guy. I'm a SL 74 mage with no health, but cool magic business if I get the opportunity to cast it. But he doesn't give me that opportunity and practically one-shots me upon entering the arena. Dodging this guy's attacks 100% of the time is extremely hard and Yearn doesn't do shit against bosses.

I'm also undead and out of effigies because of this boss, so I have no choice but to do it alone. I don't have anymore Smooth and Silky Stones to get anymore effigies from the trade, either, if that's how it works.

I'm afraid I've reached a wall I won't be able to climb over.

Here's how I did it. First of all, you absolutely need <70% equip load. If you're actually getting one shotted by all of his attacks, just take everything off to get the really quick roll. You have to treat this fight like you're a melee character. You aren't just going to circle strafe him and spam arrows like some of the bigger bosses. This entire fight is about learning his patterns. You really need to learn which of his attacks will be followed up with another attack, and which ones are the enders. The key is to dodge backwards on the last attack in a series and get a soul arrow in. You really don't want to stay too far from him, because then you run into trouble with the lock on dropping.

Just keep trying and you'll learn his patterns well enough. The run I beat him on I barely got hit.

If you really can't beat him, just go do other areas. Magic only gets stronger and stronger as the game goes. Beating him once you have spells like Homing Soulmass and Soul Spear would probably be pretty easy. Also, if you only have 650 hp, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put some points into vigor. Even mages needs points in vigor, endurance, and adaptability.

Raxus

Blue Sentinels covenant is horseshit. What was From thinking? You can't help people unless they're in the WotB covenant + theyre wearing the ring + they're being invaded? I can't connect to anyone's world! If the traffic for this covenant is so low at launch its going to be nonexistent in a few weeks. What a waste!

Yeah, I wore my blue sentinel ring for a while before I realized it would never ever be used.

I'm looking for the
Archdrake Robes.
I'm in the Lost Bastille, and I just used the Pharros Lockstone. I know it's somewhere around here. Help please???

Also, how do you burst through walls?

Hyoukokun

Yeah, I wore my blue sentinel ring for a while before I realized it would never ever be used.

I've been summoned while wearing it twice. Both times, the fight was over before the game finished loading. Maybe it'll work better on the PC with lower load times? I guess I ought to switch it out for something actually useful.

(The sparring arena for that covenant is pretty fun, though)

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I have a feeling way of the blue might see more action once the game has been out for a bit and people are doing more lower level invading.

Edit: or blue sentinels or whatever the fuck it's called

Wanchan

+ this shit :

Total amount of souls collected and levels - A character's total number of souls is factored in during summonings/invasions (generally you must be within 50,000 souls of the person you're invading/co-opping with and your level must be within +/- 10 levels).

10 SL is already total bullshit, but 50,000 souls??? no wonder i can't co-op with my 3M souls collected already.

TraBuch

Banned
Is there a place you can get a bonfire ascetic? I didn't pick one up as a starting gift and I don't think I've found any in the game.

I wanna say I've gotten two. Found one in a chest, got another from a merchant. Can't be more specific because I don't remember where I got em.

FluxWaveZ

Here's how I did it. First of all, you absolutely need <70% equip load. If you're actually getting one shotted by all of his attacks, just take everything off to get the really quick roll. You have to treat this fight like you're a melee character. You aren't just going to circle strafe him and spam arrows like some of the bigger bosses. This entire fight is about learning his patterns. You really need to learn which of his attacks will be followed up with another attack, and which ones are the enders. The key is to dodge backwards on the last attack in a series and get a soul arrow in. You really don't want to stay too far from him, because then you run into trouble with the lock on dropping.

Just keep trying and you'll learn his patterns well enough. The run I beat him on I barely got hit.

If you really can't beat him, just go do other areas. Magic only gets stronger and stronger as the game goes. Beating him once you have spells like Homing Soulmass and Soul Spear would probably be pretty easy. Also, if you only have 650 hp, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put some points into vigor. Even mages needs points in vigor, endurance, and adaptability.

Thanks. So I guess it's either I continue to confront him and get killed until I can adapt 100% perfectly to his patterns or I leave to do something else. Not the best of situations, but nothing can be done. Tried rolling around naked a minute ago and died there too, so it'll take a while if I go with the former option (at least I discovered my character was gender swapped). I wish I could find an effigy.

And I've literally just been putting points into ATN and INT the whole game, so my ATN is at 40 and my INT is at 49 with my SL being 74. VGR is at 5, END is at 6 and ADP is at 8. Really wanted to avoid putting points into anything else but magic, but if this continues to be a problem...

Raxus

+ this shit :

Total amount of souls collected and levels - A character's total number of souls is factored in during summonings/invasions (generally you must be within 50,000 souls of the person you're invading/co-opping with and your level must be within +/- 10 levels).

One thing you realize very quickly in the game is that you have to exhaust all dialogue options with all NPC's in order to advance.

FaintDeftone

Man those Turtle Knights don't fuck around. I went through an area full of them and grabbed a bonfire that literally led to nowhere but a dead end. What a waste of a struggle! I thought I was heading to the Pursuer boss but NOPE.

I took down three bosses so far.
The Last Giant
was easy and downed him on my first attempt. The
Pursuer
was a giant pain in the ass but I summoned some help for him (wasted about 3 human effigies doing it...). The
Dragonrider
got me on the first attempt but I went back in and took him out with ease the second attempt.

The game definitely feels harder to me. In the original game, keeping your items upgraded carried you far, but that isn't the case here.

Hypron

Wow now I really feel dumb. XD

Thanks.

Don't worry it also took me forever to figure out how to do it haha.

shrine of amana or whatever is the worstttttt

I ended up upgrading my bow and sniping all these casters from afar. It made the area a lot more bearable although still a pain in the ass. I feel like this area is going to be the New Londo Ruins of this game for me: the area I'm dreading to go through on replays because you actually have to be very careful about what you're doing and can't just run past every enemy.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Congratualtions and wow that's fast. I think I have the same time and I'm only in
Iron Keep

Wow you're fast...I've probably got at least 20 hours and am only maybe half that level and I think I've only defeated 9 bosses so far.

Yeah i spoiled myself watching streams of the later levels so i already knew where to go. It took me 32-35 hours to beat the first Dark Souls without guides.

Wow, I know I'm laggin behind as I started over to record my playthrough 'let's play style', but geesh! I thought is was going to take people a little longer! How long do you think it will take to do a speed run? Took Lobos Jr. 21 hours to do it all in one sitting. But not a speed run obviously.

In Lobos second run it only took 6 hours to complete, i would say speedruns can beat the game half that time, since this time most bosses are completly optional, AFAIK the bosses that are obligatory are:

Last Giant
Pursuer or Dragonrider and Twisted Sentry (depends which path you take to Lost Bastille)
Ruin Sentinels (aka Powerpuff girls)
Lost Sinner
Skeleton Lords
Covetous Demon
Mytha Baneful Queen
Old Iron King
The Rotten
Duke's Freja
Looking Glass Knight
Demon of Song
Royal Aegis
Throne Watcher and Defender
Guardian Dragon
Giant Lord
Nashandra

Ferr986

I seriously dont get summoning in this game. I've been jolly cooping the 2nd boss from Heide tower for like 30 levels, and still getting summoned. Not like Im complaining...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom