• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
So power stancing two ultra greatswords is a pain due to the load requirement. Might have ot revisit it when I'm 100+

Also doesnt' do much damage for the amount of stats to do it.

Prototype

The crazy thing about this game is that avoiding a lot of pain hinges on finding the cling ring. I have over 20 effigies just sitting here not being used as I murder bosses with no compelling reasons to restore my humanity yet, over half way through the game. It's not the best design.

I killed the Smelter Demon first attempt. The mace from the first blacksmith just wrecks shit.

I'm in the opposite boat. I use my effigies regularly when my total health gets too low and I've always had some, finding more as I go along, haven't been without them either. I never used the ring because I'd rather have other rings on lol, just seems like a waste of a slot.

Guevara

Lost Bastille stuff:

The "shortcut" to the boss is idiotic. Can anyone do that jump reliably? I tried like 4 times for fun and it never worked.

Bonfire I can't get to, right before the Ruined Sentinels. What's up with that?

In fact there are a bunch of doors I wish I could open but can't.

I'm afraid to enter the next area, looks really unpleasant.

Randam

The first four bosses will change drastically depending on where you go. I also find it weird that someone would go for the
dragonrider
instead of the
sentinels
after beating the
pursuer
, since you'd have to backtrack to do that. It just seemed like going forward once I reached bastille was the thing to do.

the
sentinels
are bad designed bosses too.

so are all 9 I beat so far.

Jobbs

Banned
Wow I fucking summoned a guy to help fight the smelter demon and he fucking fought with his fists doing no damage. I'm seriously about to stop playing this game. Nothing that I do is working and I have to kill the archer or else he kills me and I'm almost out of arrows. Fuck this.

having 32 strength or not having it is the difference between this boss being easy or insanely hard.
if you have 32 str, use the dwarf shield that commonly drops in the pharros doors area. 100% fire 100% physical. just tank and spank.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Things to note about that fight:

One on one they are very easy. Just do a few runs to learn the pattern of the attacks. They are all blockable if you have decent endurance (say, 10-15) and also easily dodgeable (which is what I mostly did).

Two on one is more difficult. Always have the two on screen so that one doesn't surprise you while you're locked into an animation, but the name of the game is basically to wait till there's an opening and attack. Patience is key. Also that big spinning attack is pretty easy to block, though give yourself a bit more room to prevent less hits from connecting, as each hit will drain your stamina more.

Honestly I have the most trouble when I tried to summon for him. I became to focused on my summons instead of focusing entirely on the sentinels. Plus summoning means you do less damage unless it's the NPC summon.

Thanks for the tips! Its just they can close the distance so damn fast with their attacks i guess i'll try to be patient a little and attack when i can.

See if you need people to tell you where things are when you can just find it by exploring, you're sorta killing the experience for yourself.

Right outside the cathedral of blue. Now start actually exploring the game/stop jobbing.

Lol i dunno where that is anyway fuck lol.

LuchaShaq

Banned
So mad I finally found a way to
sell my extra crap
but half of it was in my item box to uncluttered my inventory. Was still good for like four levelups!

Hypron

Lost Bastille stuff:

The "shortcut" to the boss is idiotic. Can anyone do that jump reliably? I tried like 4 times for fun and it never worked.

Bonfire I can't get to, right before the Ruined Sentinels. What's up with that?

In fact there are a bunch of doors I wish I could open but can't.

I'm afraid to enter the next area, looks really unpleasant.

It's quite simple to start from the first bonfire, run past everything in that area, take the ladder and go fight the
sentinels
. The bonfire can be accessed by
blowing up the wall using an explosive barrel
. It's not really a useful bonfire though due to
the dogs

Bleh, wanted to get a Bloodied Whip for one of my characters and I killed the guys in Huntsman's Copse until they don't respawn anymore, nothing.

If anyone doesn't want their Bloodied Whip and is around SL 46, send me a PM or something.

TheContact

ugh just lost 20k souls at the tower of heide because I didn't spend them after the Dragonrider boss fight and I died twice =( so depressing

I have a new title for this game

it's

Circle Strafe Boss Fight Souls!

Dragonrider was super easy doing this

Guevara

It's quite simple to start from the first bonfire, run past everything in that area, take the ladder and go fight the
sentinels
. The bonfire can be accessed by
blowing up the wall using an explosive barrel
. It's not really a useful bonfire though due to
the dogs

Damn, but thanks. There are three bonfires almost on top of each other. Seems weird.

Grinchy

Banned
HOLY FUCK MY CONTROLLER HIT THE FLOOR and pressed R2 and I sliced the shit out of the Emerald Herald. I hope she doesn't hate me forever or something... She was like "wait... What are you...??"

LOL

Since Demon's Souls I've been so afraid of hitting NPCs that I even go as far as taking my fingers off of the controller triggers any time I'm near them.

I loaded up my DS2 save the other day and accidentally hit the Estus/Leveling chick. I just quit out through the XMB immediately and re-loaded.

I keep on forgetting you can two hand weapons.

Right now I'm on the Smelter Demon. He has incredibly high defense that seems to go even further once he goes super saiyan.

If you guys were wondering how to get permanent humanity here's how to do it.

Get the Ring of Life Protection in No Man's Wharf. When you get to the section where there's a large staircase that goes upwards, take the first left that you can take after going up a bit then go into the house that's there. You should be able to find two bookcases in there that are blocking a wall. Smash the bookcases and loot the body behind them for the ring.

It breaks after each use but since you're at a bonfire you can just teleport back and repair it for 3000 souls. It's a pretty good price per death imo. 3000 vs losing all your souls if you mess up getting back to the bloodstain. This way I don't have to burn effigies if I want to summon. Also I make back the 3000 souls usually just by getting back to the boss room. You can also put down a summon sign to easily cover the cost multiple times over too.

Phatmac

I DID IT!!! I FiNALLY BEAT THE SMELTER DEMON AFTER LOSING ALL MY HUMANITY AND ALL MY ARROWS!!!!! IALSO KEPT MIRRAH ALIVE DURING THE FIGHT!!!! I HAVE WON!!!!!!'

Ferrio

Banned
Lost Bastille stuff:

Just run fullspeed don't roll or jump, always works.

And ya... the Duel wielding Ultra Greatswords in powerstance is going to be shelved for now. Now I'm stuck with a stat build that's pretty crappy just cause I wanted to try it out.

Grinchy

Banned
Is there a place you can get a bonfire ascetic? I didn't pick one up as a starting gift and I don't think I've found any in the game.

Yep, there is. I wish I remembered where I got mine, but I don't seem to. It might have been from trading with the birds in the tutorial area ("Snuggly the crows"). I had a big stack of smooth silky stones and I just traded them all and got a bunch of cool stuff.

I'm in the opposite boat. I use my effigies regularly when my total health gets too low and I've always had some, finding more as I go along, haven't been without them either. I never used the ring because I'd rather have other rings on lol, just seems like a waste of a slot.

I should probably be popping the effigies as I need them too but I'm holding onto them for when I finally hit a wall.

The point is if you don't care about summoning people it's pretty easy to ignore the whole humanity mechanic with one easily found item from the early game

Jobbs

Banned
just noticed
elite knight armor
can be bought from the armor/shield npc in majula -- on one of my characters and not the other. I think his stock must expand either at progress points in the game or if you buy from him a lot, not sure. either way,
the elite knight armor looks pretty badass this time. looks similar as before but it seems a bit more fitted and slinky looking which I like.

also, faith users, a loading screen told me about crescent axe, which was a cool faith scaling long range axe in the previous game. never noticed that before, or maybe more loading screens are unlocked as you play. not sure.

Guevara

just noticed elite knight armor can be bought from the armor/shield npc in majula -- on one of my characters and not the other. I think his stock must expand either at progress points in the game or if you buy from him a lot, not sure. either way, the elite knight armor looks pretty badass this time. looks similar as before but it seems a bit more fitted and slinky looking which I like.
It's weird that it has less poise than the regular knights armor. I agree though, it's the classic Dark Souls look in my opinion.

I keep banging my head against the
boss trio
in the
Bastille
Dodging and countering the first guy is doable, but once the other two aggro I get pasted. I learned from a message they're supposed to be weak to lightning, but I don't want to waste my gold pine resins until I feel more confident in the boss battle.

Also, can somebody give me a hint on where to find
the ember the Bastille blacksmith keeps muttering about? So far I've completed the Forest of Giants (except the fire pit) and the Heide Tower of Flame. I've not yet gone down the hole in Majula or solved the statue blocking the way. Am I close? Have I already passed it? I could really use some new gear...

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I DID IT!!! I FiNALLY BEAT THE SMELTER DEMON AFTER LOSING ALL MY HUMANITY AND ALL MY ARROWS!!!!! IALSO KEPT MIRRAH ALIVE DURING THE FIGHT!!!! I HAVE WON!!!!!!'
For the record, summoning phantoms gives the boss a lot more health. Smelter is one of the ones it's easier to go in alone on for that reason.

The first four bosses will change drastically depending on where you go. I also find it weird that someone would go for the
dragonrider
instead of the
sentinels
after beating the
pursuer
, since you'd have to backtrack to do that. It just seemed like going forward once I reached bastille was the thing to do.

In all honesty, I don't think
The Pursuer
is intended to be the second boss battle, just based on his strength. If you don't use the environment he's really hard at early levels, and on top of that the area unlocked after him is really the back way into said area. I think the order of locations was probably intended to be
Forest -> Heide's -> Wharf -> Bastille
and at some point in there you go back to explore and find him.

LProtag

20 hours in and
the Pursuer comes back for more out of nowhere. I was heading back through the Smelter Demon boss room to put my sign up outside to help people and BAM there he is. I got caught off guard and he destroyed me and cursed me because I forgot how to fight him

This game.

Jobbs

Banned
It's weird that it has less poise than the regular knights armor. I agree though, it's the classic Dark Souls look in my opinion.

makes sense themeatically, an "elite knight" might have more movement needs with his advanced skills, the regular GI knight armor is less specialized and more of a big hunk of metal.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I should probably be popping the effigies as I need them too but I'm holding onto them for when I finally hit a wall.

The point is if you don't care about summoning people it's pretty easy to ignore the whole humanity mechanic with one easily found item from the early game

It's pretty much the same for me in dark souls. I only use humanity when I want to light a bonfire or go farming for... humanities. Otherwise they don't really factor into my game that much.

It loads for like 20 secs everytime I die and it's chugging away during gameplay too. Sounds like it's eating the disc. It has to be something wrong with my PS3, right?

Booties

Banned
this is the 1st guy who broke me. after about 15-20 tries I summoned help.

I don't want to summon unless it's a friend of mine. I did break and summon, but the random killed me with the friggin mounted crossbow. He kills the boss and me at the same time. That's how I know they are even there though :).

I guess I'll keep going for the dodge and peck routine. I hate that though. It's so boring.

What's the best way to tackle those guys in (area)
Huntsman's Copse
with the pole weapons? They have these circular blades at the top and they're a real pain in the ass. I can take them, just not very efficiently. What's the best strategy to take them down without needing to waste estus?

Jobbs

Banned
Summon a buddy, one of you distracts him and the other shoots from the big ol' crossbows in the area

or, more commonly, one person shoots everyone else with the crossbows. I died to these so many times when I was signing here that I learned to stand behind them if anyone else goes back there.

re. the pursuer, once you leanr his attacks he's pretty doable, especially if you have a decent shield and some endurance. the trick with him, as is the case with amny other bosses, is to be patient and don't be greedy. block or avoid his attacks, hit him one or two times, and wait for him to attack again.

It loads for like 20 secs everytime I die and it's chugging away during gameplay too. Sounds like it's eating the disc. It has to be something wrong with my PS3, right?

I don't know, I've heard people say the loading times are 20-30-40 seconds, but for me they're all like 8 or 9 seconds. I think this is a case where going digital pays off. I just have an ordinary PS3, no special SSD or anything.

NIN90

Huntsman's Copse
with the pole weapons? They have these circular blades at the top and they're a real pain in the ass. I can take them, just not very efficiently. What's the best strategy to take them down without needing to waste estus?

Bait their attack, dodge backwards and then punish.

Phatmac

Huntsman's Copse
Take them on one at a time. Don't rush in and let them gang up on you. After that they have an easy attack pattern to recognize.

Prototype

I don't want to summon unless it's a friend of mine. I did break and summon, but the random killed me with the friggin mounted crossbow. He kills the boss and me at the same time. That's how I know they are even there though :).

I guess I'll keep going for the dodge and peck routine. I hate that though. It's so boring.

lol! that happened to me once. some one shot the arrow and it killed the boss but hit me as well. Didn't count as a victory. I did have a good laugh about it tho

edit: to expand a little, I think this fight is so hard because it comes so early in the game, I know from my expereience, I had hardly leveled up at all by the time I got to him. On subsequent play through I don't think it will be as bad since I'll have decent gear and stats.

I just got to the Pursuer. Any tips? Having trouble doing damage to this guy.

Try to bait him into doing his combo, then run away or dodge it. Once he's finished, get in a couple of strikes and be ready for his next attacks. Stamina management is important in this fight. Also, if his sword starts glowing blue, dodge sideways, not backwards. The reach of his 'grab' is surprisingly long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom