• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypron

I seriously dont get summoning in this game. I've been jolly cooping the 2nd boss from Heide tower for like 30 levels, and still getting summoned. Not like Im complaining...

Well people are tackling the game in different orders so you'll get people from vastly different levels going through this area, which would explain why you have no problem summoning people regardless of your level.

sixghost

Thanks. So I guess it's either I continue to confront him and get killed until I can adapt 100% perfectly to his patterns or I leave to do something else. Not the best of situations, but nothing can be done. Tried rolling around naked a minute ago and died there too, so it'll take a while if I go with the former option (at least I discovered my character was gender swapped). I wish I could find an effigy.

And I've literally just been putting points into ATN and INT the whole game, so my ATN is at 40 and my INT is at 49 with my SL being 74. VGR is at 5, END is at 6 and ADP is at 8. Really wanted to avoid putting points into anything else but magic, but if this continues to be a problem...

jesus christ

You really, really need some points in vig, end, and adp. No wonder that guy is crushing you.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Found that the stupid
chariot boss
is this game's equivalent of capra demon. it's so obscenely obnoxious when the actual plan is so easy that I'm absolutely infuriated.

Zeliard

+ this shit :

Total amount of souls collected and levels - A character's total number of souls is factored in during summonings/invasions (generally you must be within 50,000 souls of the person you're invading/co-opping with and your level must be within +/- 10 levels).

10 SL is already total bullshit, but 50,000 souls??? no wonder i can't co-op with my 3M souls collected already.

This is such a clumsy design decision for co-op, given that you get souls off of it. It essentially means that the more you co-op, the less you can co-op. People are going to find ways to amass souls. They shouldn't neuter one of the series' core attractions in an effort to stop grinding.

Dresden

Soul memory needs to go, but by the time they get around to patching it out (if they ever do), I probably won't be playing the game . . .

Huntsman's Copse->Harvest Valley->Earthen Rise->IRON KEEP

Goddamn. Really going out of the way.

Oh well, I just beat
Skeleton Lord
so I'm on the right track anyway.

As an aside,
Skeleton Lord
was a pretty clever boss fight. It's takes what Bed of Chaos wanted to do with the whole "you're dead stupid, try the other thing next time" concept and actually made it work.

i saw a bonfire hidden between walls in
lost bastille

how can i get there? :D
Near the bonfire there's a staircase with a mummy guard on top and an explosive barrel. Kill the guard and roll the barrel down the stairs. It should explode and reveal the bonfire. This might take a couple tries.

Ruin sentinels are kicking my butt, is there another path I can take?
I've beaten 2 bosses in the forest and 2 in Heides.

Solo or co-op?

Either way, kill the first one on the ledge you fall on to with it.
Bait the second to join you on the ledge.
Finish the third on the ground floor.

I had a funky experiance with the Ruin Sentinels. I could beat them if I was summoned into another player's game, but couldn't best them if I summoned for help.

lost bastille

See the big old crack in the wall? Face away from it and take note of the big guy that kicks an explosive barrel down the stairs at you.

I'm waiting for the PC version, but I have a few questions I'd like to ask. Please keep any answers as un-spoilery as you can, and if an answer really requires serious spoilers, just let me know. I haven't been reading this thread, so if some of these questions have obvious answers, please bear with me.

1. Is playing the base Deprived without any equipment viable for the entire game (I know the answer has to be no, but I can dream)?
2. Is a level 1 run viable in general?
3. Do fists have a power stance?
4. Can you parry while in the power stance, or with any weapon in the off hand while not in the power stance?
5. Can you parry while two-handing a weapon (I read you could somewhere, just want to confirm)?
6. Is dodging without high Adaptibility seriously compromised?
7. Since you're not invincible during ripostes/backstabs anymore, can they be interrupted by enemy attacks?
8. I read that guard breaks can lead into ripostes now too. Is this true?
9. How does the Bonfire Ascetic work, does it remix enemy positions or just buff them a la the other games' new game plus? If not, is there any enemy position/quantity remixing in general, similar to black world tendency or gravelord infection?
10. For how many NG+ rounds does difficulty increase, and does that increase include things other than enemy buffs?
11. Are upgrade paths more accessible now in general, and easier to understand?
12. Can rings be upgraded now? How does that work?
13. Does enemy extinction apply to all enemies? What causes it to happen?
14. Is there much music performed by a live orchestra? All the boss music I've heard is synth, and it's really disappointing.

FluxWaveZ

jesus christ

You really, really need some points in vig, end, and adp. No wonder that guy is crushing you.

Man, I thought we were sorcerers, not sword and shield weilding dudes.

Fine, I guess I'm getting my ass kicked 'cause I focused too much on magic anyways. Guess I'll do co-op a bunch to gain souls.

RoeBear

Close to endgame question-
Is the key of emoluation or whatever only used to open the cell in the highest point of the castle?

halfbeast

Banned
lost bastille

if you mean the one down
that bridge-path with the dogs next to it and a closed gate? you just have to roll the explosive barrel towards that wall. if it rolls slightly to the side, just hit it (you'll take damage too, make sure you're healed).

Ok I'm changing my mind about sorcery. After about 15
Bell Covenant
summons, I can say it's pretty great. Especially after mixing it up with fast normal soul arrows and the slow homing soul arrows. Once I get stuff like Homing Soulmass and Soul Spear (if they're in the game), I'll be rockin' this game.

I'm about to do the gutter, damn this looks like shit. I knew it's gonna be shit just by judging how I went down there. Those raggedy ass btown-esque ladders.

Man, I thought we were sorcerers, not sword and shield weilding dudes.

Fine, I guess I'm getting my ass kicked 'cause I focused too much on magic anyways. Guess I'll do co-op a bunch to gain souls.
Or respec lol. Love being able to respec here.

I'm about to do the gutter, damn this looks like shit. I knew it's gonna be shit just by judging how I went down there. Those raggedy ass btown-esque ladders.

Or respec lol. Love being able to respec here.

YOU CAN RESPEC?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Oh mylanta

images

Phatmac

Any tips for the smelter demon? My sword kills most enemies in two hits yet it does little damage against him. Think I need a new weapon or something..

Leezard

Ok I'm changing my mind about sorcery. After about 15
Bell Covenant
summons, I can say it's pretty great. Especially after mixing it up with fast normal soul arrows and the slow homing soul arrows. Once I get stuff like Homing Soulmass and Soul Spear (if they're in the game), I'll be rockin' this game.

The Soul Spear is in, I don't know about the other one.

So... I'm just a few hours in, but the first impression is that this is much worse than Dark Souls. Game looks like shit, the areas are so fucking boring and the loading times are drafted straight from hell. What is consensus of this game?

Ok, something "strange" happened, or, just something I am not familiar with ...
After defeating
The Pursuer
, instead of going to
The Lost Bastille
which seems to be the linear path, I went back to the central hub, bought the
Cat Ring, or whatever it is called, that allows you to take less damage from falling
and went through
the hole
I ended in the
Grave of the Saint, and after exploring a bit, I got summoned as a grey phantom (the strange thing is that I don't remember putting a summon sign in that area... When I got there, i started looking for the host, and, found him, but then he wasn't human and attacked me (he killed me)
. What happened ??

You have to have the mark you get from killing someone in an invasion first.

I think you have to have a certain item in your inventory. It's a PvP covenant. Pretty awesome arguably. Pray at one of the statutes and you get transported to an arena to battle another member of the covenant.

You have to invade someone and kill them in order to join his covenant.

Ah, thanks everyone! :)

New question.

In
Earthen Peak
, there was a chest up some stairs very close to the entrance (like, just a room over basically) where there were a lot of those little black poison creatures, and one big guy with a mace or hammer or something. Anyways, there was a chest in that room. Unfortunately, the enemy swung at me and hit the chest, shattering it, and I was only left with "Rubbish". :( Any idea what was in that chest? Not that it matters now really.

Also question about the Poison Clouds or whatever in
Harvest Valley
. Is it possible to remove them? I saw someone mention something about a
windmill
?

Yes. I haven't done it, but I think I will. You need
soul vessel
and return to
the old ladies in things betwixt

Ah thanks for the clarification. That's great, now I don't have to wait for Jumi's builds before I start playing if I want a respectable PVP build. This is great. Is it a one-use item?

I advise faith build users to speak to Licia again after your faith is 30 (possibly as low as 25).

She'll give you her outfit and a special chime that greatly increase miracle damage and casting time. Her hood increases miracle charges!

FluxWaveZ

You are able to find the required item quite early in the game.
It's in Majula, you need to have found the cartographer in the Forest of Giants (or whatever it is called)

Had a feeling I had missed something concerning the respec. Thanks, guess I've got something concrete to do now.

I didn't have too much trouble in the previous Souls games going magic only. Sucks that that isn't the case this time.

Prototype

at the three ruin soldiers boss fight.. really from ? really? :(

i got stuck there for a bit too, wanted to do it on my own so I just left and explored other areas, beat another boss and came back later and eventually won. You can get it, looking back this fight seems fair in comparison to some of the later stuff.... lol

YES! Found my Zweihander! :D

I ended up getting the Zwei and the Claymore later in the game then I expected and had already upgraded a few other weapons. Not sure If I want to make the switch back now... i'm sure the number crunchers will figure out which weapons are "best" in a few weeks. That said, I'm having a blast with my Greatsword +10

Any tips for the smelter demon? My sword kills most enemies in two hits yet it does little damage against him. Think I need a new weapon or something..

If you have the materials you should go and buy a club and upgrade it.

Strike damage is great against Smelter Demon.

HeelPower

I just played dark souls 1 on ps3 again today.

Man the game is graphically so much more polished its crazy.

Also the combat feels almost completely different.They completely changed recovery times for every single thing.Movement is different as well.

I can't quite describe it ,but the combat is more different than I thought it would be from one game to the next.

mellow

wow smeltering demon is kicking my ass
mainly because i'm trying to do the lucatiel questline and I HAVE to summon her and have her survive this fight since she was useless against the lost sinner..she gets wrecked in this one too sigh
any tips?

So... I'm just a few hours in, but the first impression is that this is much worse than Dark Souls. Game looks like shit, the areas are so fucking boring and the loading times are drafted straight from hell. What is consensus of this game?

Consensus is that it's a good (amazing) game.

Take your time to tune in with this one. I'm not saying it's DkS-level yet but it certainly took me some time to adjust and now I'm really enjoying myself.

Shinjica

wow smeltering demon is kicking my ass
mainly because i'm trying to do the lucatiel questline and I HAVE to summon her and have her survive this fight since she was useless against the lost sinner..she gets wrecked in this one too sigh
any tips?

what you have to do for her quest line?

brb

Ok, something "strange" happened, or, just something I am not familiar with ...
After defeating
The Pursuer
, instead of going to
The Lost Bastille
which seems to be the linear path, I went back to the central hub, bought the
Cat Ring, or whatever it is called, that allows you to take less damage from falling
and went through
the hole
I ended in the
Grave of the Saint, and after exploring a bit, I got summoned as a grey phantom (the strange thing is that I don't remember putting a summon sign in that area... When I got there, i started looking for the host, and, found him, but then he wasn't human and attacked me (he killed me)
. What happened ??

You came across the
Rat King
Covenant, members summon you until their world to kill you for trespassing. Kinda the opposite of the
Bell Tower
Covenant. lol

I wasn't that impressed upon starting the game, but as I got more into it, I'm having a blast. I think it's on par with Dark Souls 1. There are a few things I prefer about the original, but this one is still really good.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Here are my impressions

Pros

+Combat was refined, both in PvE and PvP.
+Game is as harder as the first game.
+Some areas are way more beautiful then the first game.
+Intriguing story, still told in a minimalistic way like a puzzle the player has to decifer.
+Dedicated servers make jolly cooperation and PvP invasion much more fun.
+The soundtrack is the best of the Souls franchise.

Cons

-The lightning downgrade makes some areas lifeless and flat, specially Aldia's Keep and Shaded Woods.
-The torch mechanic is useless other than one or two areas of the entire game.
-Too many reused assets, from regular enemies to bosses.

I think DaS 2 is as good as Dark Souls and better than Demon's Souls, if the PC version contains the missing lightning effects, that plus increaased resolution and high textures, DaS 2 could very well surpass the first game.

9/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom