• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixghost

Me summoning two phantoms to assist me and running the hell away/strategically evading the boss at the very start of the battle and then staying somewhat behind, showering the boss with magic while the two combatants did their thing. I tried to do the same before, but bad luck (mummy explosion, two rapid swings at the start of the battle...) always stopped me.

Ran out of humanity so I had to buy one from the shopkeeper at
Cardinal Tower
. I fear that going forward, I might have to rely on partners to beat bosses just like I've had to in my two previous fights, but I'll see.

Edit: I did put 6 points into END, at least, but I can't get myself to put anything else into something that isn't INT or ATN. If that mindset comes back to bit me more often than not as the game goes on, well, at least I have the respeccing option now.

Ah, shit.

You are going to destroy quite a few bosses with a build like that, but I can think of a couple that are going give you just as much trouble as that guy. Stats start giving diminishing returns once you get past 40, so it's 100% worth it to level up vigor and end to 20 at least.

Sinner's Rise. I've gone straight from the Forest, to the Bastille to Sinner's Rise. I hate this place and I hate the boss. I want to go somewhere else.

If you've only been to those places then try heading to Heide's Tower of Flame (go through the passageway to the right hand side of the cat house in Majula; look for a lever on the wall at the end to open the gate).

How do unstone the chick at the beginning of the tower or whatever. What item do I need?
The quickest way to get the item needed would be to
defeat the Lost Sinner, since there's one in the chest immediately after that fight.
Obviously adds some extra salt to the wound. For reference, the item's name is
Fragrant Branch of Yore

I beat the
Ruin Sentinels
in Lost Bastille and supposedly there's
a bunch of illusory walls in the room. I even watched a Youtube video showing exactly where they are, but for me there's just nothing. I hit the wall and my weapon just reflects off it. Anyone know what the deal is?
I believe you need to press the interact button (X/A), not attack.

I beat the
Ruin Sentinels
in Lost Bastille and supposedly there's
a bunch of illusory walls in the room. I even watched a Youtube video showing exactly where they are, but for me there's just nothing. I hit the wall and my weapon just reflects off it. Anyone know what the deal is?
on 360, press A to reveal hidden walls

Bell Guardian
covenant is hilariously ridiculous. Get summoned, target was destroyed before the spawning in animation is done, immediately get summoned again. Rinse and repeat.

LordCanti

Bell Guardian
covenant is hilariously ridiculous. Get summoned, target was destroyed before the spawning in animation is done, immediately get summoned again. Rinse and repeat.

Yup, lovin it. Getting dem chunks. Prostrating myself and begging for forgiveness once the deed is done.

creyas

Blue Sentinels covenant is horseshit. What was From thinking? You can't help people unless they're in the WotB covenant + theyre wearing the ring + they're being invaded? I can't connect to anyone's world! If the traffic for this covenant is so low at launch its going to be nonexistent in a few weeks. What a waste!

Joined WoB in the beginning, have played for 20 hours and haven't got invaded once. Maybe it'll pick up.

Jobbs

Banned
Decision time. Here's the sitch.

Level 76 cleric

VGR 13
END 20
VIT 10
ATN 20
STR 26
DEX 7
ADP 4
INT 4
FTH 30

I've been getting along using a regular mace which I generally like, although the range is a bit short.

I recently found a Dragonslayer's Crescent Axe, which has C str and faith scaliing and E dex scaling, but requires 12 dex to use. It has nice looks and moveset. I really would like to use it, but it'd mean cranking 5 points into dex which is a pretty big investment for a cleric who generally doesn't use dex.

Decisions...

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Decision time. Here's the sitch.

Level 76 cleric

VGR 13
END 20
VIT 10
ATN 20
STR 26
DEX 7
ADP 4
INT 4
FTH 30

I've been getting along using a regular mace which I generally like, although the range is a bit short.

I recently found a Dragonslayer's Crescent Axe, which has C str and faith scaliing and E dex scaling, but requires 12 dex to use. It has nice looks and moveset. I really would like to use it, but it'd mean cranking 5 points into dex which is a pretty big investment for a cleric who generally doesn't use dex.

Decisions...

IMO you really need to level up ADP

Alebelly

Just wandered into the
Bell Tower
with 33k souls from the last boss I fought. I had no idea about the invasions. Goddamnit.

I was just there, what a lovely place. I was like wtf is going on!?
I managed to get out of there and not lose my 37,000 souls.

I haven't seen a single sign to summon anyone so far and no matter how many times I try I can't put down my own sign with the white soapstone. I know I'm online... what am I missing?

If you joined that pvp covanet, the one on the hilll you can't be summoned or see summon signs. Maybe that's your issue.

Also ADP is the new resistance, pretty worthless imo. Unless you're into PVP*

Are the Embers for forging the same in this game? (Divine, Magic, Lightning?). I haven't found any yet

Id like to get a weapon to scale with my faith.
I'm on ps4. I've revealed plenty of hidden walls before by attacking them, why would this one be any different? I guess I'll try it later though.
X on PS3.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on ps4. I've revealed plenty of hidden walls before by attacking them, why would this one be any different? I guess I'll try it later though.
Because there's 2 kinds, ones that require attacking and ones that require the X button. This isn't including the pharros ones

Are the Embers for forging the same in this game? (Divine, Magic, Lightning?). I haven't found any yet

Id like to get a weapon to scale with my faith.

No, they're stones now. Instead of upgrading a weapon liek you used to with different titanite shards for each variety, you infuse a stone into a weapon to give it a type, and just upgrade the same for everything (basic titanite).

They essentially streamlined the process.

Also does soul memory affect summoning? Me and a friend are using the name-engraving ring and and are only 5 soul levels away from each other. (Him 45 and me 50) Summon sign won't appear at all. I'm at 300k soul memory and he is at 150k

No, they're stones now. Instead of upgrading a weapon liek you used to with different titanite shards for each variety, you infuse a stone into a weapon to give it a type, and just upgrade the same for everything (basic titanite).

They essentially streamlined the process.
oh wow, I'm dense! I've had this boltstone sitting in my inventory this whole time

So is going Faith along with Strength still good? Are there good miracles to use? Good weapons that scale with both?

Also, where can you find good rings early on? Because I've literally only found one out in the world (health regen)

Jobbs

Banned
So is going Faith along with Strength still good? Are there good miracles to use? Good weapons that scale with both?

yeah, the game tends to push faith users towards STR much of the time. there are also some quality + faith weapons which are surprisingly good, like the hiede knight's sword you can get at the starting.

personally, I've used the regular mace on my cleric for most of the game, upgraded and with some str it really outputs a ton of damage, and strike damage seems to generally be better than slashing damage in this game, from what I can tell.

You will get more
Branches of Yore
in a new area. Here's what you have to do in order to keep making progress:

You need to recruit the lady that's sitting close to the bonfire you light upon defeating The Lancer. Talk to her continuously until she has nothing else to say. When you warp to Majula she'll be sitting inside the branching path which you can enter next to the cat-lady's house. She'll ask for 2000 souls in order to proceed to a new area (where you will find 2 more Branches of Yore)

I can't find a woman in the cathedral of blue... Only the civenant dude.

I've that much and more on several occasions way before SL90 :D as a souls vet I just laugh it off when I lose 50k. I have my callouses from the first game.

Just annoying, because I ended up actually finding another boss and doing well against him, but couldn't find a bonfire in the area!

Dresden

Just went through this grueling fucking room with
12 stone soldiers and 5 ruin sentinels.
Shit like this makes me want to toss something through the tv.

Audioboxer

Also, where can you find good rings early on? Because I've literally only found one out in the world (health regen)

Yeah Strength and Faith are good together.

As for rings, for a quick and easy one go back to the starting area before the witches house, and look around. You'll find an enemy there with a ring ;)

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Woooooooooooooooooooow, NG+ is totally a different thing in this game. In Things Betwixt there is new enemies i never saw on the normal game.

Farooq

Banned
I get around fine, I think people are exaggerating the importance of this stat. My other char has 20 in it and I can't tell a major difference.

I am starting to think a high Agility is not really required. ENB worked on the official guide and he said he couldn't get a straight answer from FROM about Agility. ENB speculates there maybe more invincibility frames when you roll, but he does not have real proof.

He does claim it decreases the time to heal with a flask. Something like .44 seconds from base agility to the highest agility. It does not make you roll further, that is governed by equip load. Does it make you roll faster? Doesn't feel like it. Why is FROM so hush hush about agility?

ENB talks about agility: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qR_XkXEWbJw#t=570

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom