• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its great to know that I can still get those heart pounding, forget to breath and swear at the tv moments.

Not many other games have me quiting out shutting down and walking away only to do a lap of the house and jump straight back into it.

God i love it.

the smelting demon of whatever he's called was the bane of my existence, died to at least ten times. all the enemies leading up to his fog door were "permanently" dead. i finally had two phantoms help me beat him yesterday. felt good.

wow...mimic attack range is dumb.
that's why you don't even let it get up.

Stoze

Uh where's the key to all the locked doors around Lost Sinner and the jail cells right before it? I feel like I'm missing a shortcut, going all the way from the bridge bonfire to here kinda sucks.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Ah crap I must have skipped a line of dialogue, I knew that was supposed to be the case, well except for the
Manus
part. When I saw the
lady in the castle I thought that was her, and figured something else was going on
. Cool, thanks for clarifying that.

It's unclear whether
that's her human form or just an illusion

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Its great to know that I can still get those heart pounding, forget to breath and swear at the tv moments.

Not many other games have me quiting out shutting down and walking away only to do a lap of the house and jump straight back into it.

God i love it.

Done the exact same thing so many times with these games lol

LordCanti

(Endgame Lore/Boss Spoilers in this entire post)

That's
Nashandra the Queen of Drangleic. Not 100% sure but apparently she's actually a reincarnation of Manus, Father of the Abyss from Dark Souls 1. She used Vendrick to conquer Drangleic and usher a new Age of Dark.

This is the lore as I understand it. Obviously huge spoilers. Seriously. I can't warn you any more than this.

Yeah, she's a piece of Manus that formed after the chosen undead (the player from DS) defeated him in the past. She went across the sea sometime after the events of Dark Souls, met King Vendrick, seduced him, had a kid with him, and ultimately persuaded him to wage war against "The Giants" otherwise known as Anor Londo's deities (long since fled from Anor Londo itself). After the war was done and Vendrick returned, he slowly got turned by Nashandra, but was either unwilling or unable to become the new Dark Lord (the Chosen Undead from Dark Souls having relinked the bonfires in the canon, even though the player was given both choices in the actual game). She did her best to spread darkness, but as only a piece of Manus, she seemed unable to completely do so herself. What she needed was another chosen undead to take up the mantle, and the player fits the bill. She was terrified of losing her position, so she guarded the "Throne of Want" (which looks to be another kiln) while waiting for the Dark Lord to arrive. You, hers and Vendrick's child (male or female), long since having forgotten who you were, show up and defeat her. The choice made by you (relink the fires/start a new age of fire or become the new Dark Lord) is left ambiguous as the credits roll.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Uh where's the key to all the locked doors around Lost Sinner and the jail cells right before it? I feel like I'm missing a shortcut, going all the way from the bridge bonfire to here kinda sucks.

You get it after you kill the
gargoyles in Belfry Luna. Bastille key.

popyea

Is there any way to become Human after running out of effigies? I swear I became human once after helping someone beat a boss, but it didn't happen the last time I tried.

sorry if this is old, but i just
managed to cut off the bare handed arm of The Rotten, and it dropped a lockstone. My guess is you can do this with his other arm with the huge club/blade thing to make the fight easier.

Mana Sin

Speak to Magerold of Lanter in the Iron Keep and bring him the
Petrified Egg from the Dragon Shrine.

I don't know where either of those things are, unfortunately. I seem to have missed them entirely, unless it's all in an area I've yet to visit.

I still need to tackle the
Shaded Woods
and
Sinner's
. I've done
VoD 3.0
and
Iron Keep
so far.

Stoze

You get it after you kill the
gargoyles in Belfry Luna. Bastille key.

Balls, I knew it. Think I'm gonna take a break from Lost Sinner then, I got him down to like 2 hits left on my first two fights, and ever since then I've been doing worse and worse.

It'd be better if soul memory didn't exist at all. I like how FROM came close to a good online experience after the mistakes made with DkS1, but kneecapped themselves like this with a horrible decision.

It does seem really shortsighted.The problems it was created to fix (Low level invaders/phantoms with overpowered equipment ) feel so minor compared to the ones it has introduced.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
the Chosen Undead from Dark Souls having relinked the bonfires in the canon, even though the player was given both choices in the actual game. She did her best to spread

I don't really agree with that. Here's why:
It said that several kingdoms rose and fell before in the spot of land that is now Drangleic and its heavily implied one of them was Lordran. Assuming this cycle theory, every kingdom rise in its Age of Fire and fell in its Age of Dark. It is said the Flame was linked before, but it doesn't necessarly mean it was the Flame from the Lordran era, it could be as easily from another era before Drangleic.

I don't know where either of those things are, unfortunately. I seem to have missed them entirely, unless it's all in an area I've yet to visit.

I still need to tackle the
Shaded Woods
and
Sinner's
. I've done
VoD 3.0
and
Iron Keep
so far.

Yeah, that's a late-game area, don't worry just play the game normally and eventually you will find it.

Maybesew

Question about the iron keep. I just suicide grabbed the item near the entrance that is in fire but I was hammering the X button so much that I didn't even seen what it was.

Any help?

Ken

the smelting demon of whatever he's called was the bane of my existence, died to at least ten times. all the enemies leading up to his fog door were "permanently" dead. i finally had two phantoms help me beat him yesterday. felt good.

that's why you don't even let it get up.

no no, i hit a mimic from behind while it was still in chest form, and its grab attack hit me even though i was behind him.

Scher

Question about the iron keep. I just suicide grabbed the item near the entrance that is in fire but I was hammering the X button so much that I didn't even seen what it was.

Any help?

Is that the item that's pretty much next to the bonfire? If so, it was a human effigy.

Okay, late (?) game spoilers concerning where to go next. Here's what I've done:

I have the three big souls and the greater soul from the spider (I'm guessing that one is the fourth big one, even though it doesn't look like the rest) and I've kindled four primal bonfires. The only places I think I can go are the two doors that ask me to produce the symbol of the king, only I don't have it.

Which direction should I go next?

Garcia

Hey guys, I have already vanquished
3 of the Great Four. Lost Sinner, Spider and Iron Keep Boss
. Right now I've found the
Drangelic Castle
but it seems I can't enter yet, I've entered the
Grave of Saints
buy only had 4 Pharros Lockstones with me. . . I need an extra 3 to place next to the rat statues and I can't enter the door that (I assume) leads to
The Gutter
because it's locked.

Any ideas of where should I be going now?

Bumped for new page.

ElFly

So in Iron Keep
is it worth it to use this Pharros stone?

I am gonna guess it will dose some water on the floor and that'd be it? what for?

OH MY GOD. Ive died like 20 times to
The Snake Bitch
in Upper Earthen Peak. I have to be missing something how am I supposed to fight and keep track of my health all while not getting hit?? Thank god for the ring of binding

LordCanti

I don't really agree with that. Here's why:
It said that several kingdoms rose and fell before in the spot of land that is now Drangleic and its heavily implied one of them was Lordran. Assuming this cycle theory, every kingdom rise in its Age of Fire and fell in its Age of Dark. It is said the Flame was linked before, but it doesn't necessarly mean it was the Flame from the Lordran era, it could be as easily from another era before Drangleic.

Endgame lore discussion

Time being in flux, I guess it doesn't matter much in the end. I like the idea of the cycle actually ending when a chosen undead decides to become the Dark Lord though. Drangleic could be Lordran, or the area "across the sea" where the deities of Anor Londo are currently residing could be instead. I guess we don't know (or I can't remember if we do) where they all fled when they abandoned Anor Londo. I'm kind of bummed that Gwyndolin doesn't make an appearance as the only one that we know of that was still trying to find a chosen undead to relink the flames.

Okay, late (?) game spoilers concerning where to go next. Here's what I've done:

I have the three big souls and the greater soul from the spider (I'm guessing that one is the fourth big one, even though it doesn't look like the rest) and I've kindled four primal bonfires. The only places I think I can go are the two doors that ask me to produce the symbol of the king, only I don't have it.

Which direction should I go next?

Remember the fog gate with the three paths, one of which leads to a completely fogged out area with nearly invisible dudes? Go to that bonfire. As you're looking at the bonfire, you want the door on the far left. You should come to a pillar in the road/dead end. Look around and there is a foot path you can take that will bring you to the Shrine of Winter, which those souls should open.

When you say spider soul, you mean the one that you pick up off the ground after the fight, right?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I have no idea how this rat covenant works, but I assume
me getting summoned as a grey spirit against my will is the doing of that covenant? so it's pve + pve and I cant do anything to stop it?

Dresden

OH MY GOD. Ive died like 20 times to
The Snake Bitch
in Upper Earthen Peak. I have to be missing something how am I supposed to fight and keep track of my health all while not getting hit?? Thank god for the ring of binding

Did you
drain the poison from the arena?
You have to
light the windmill on fire.

sixghost

It'd be better if soul memory didn't exist at all. I like how FROM came close to a good online experience after the mistakes made with DkS1, but kneecapped themselves like this with a horrible decision.

I think it's a really good idea that they just didn't implement well. I don't think you can argue that there needs to be a better way to determine character strength than SL. We saw the kind of stupid stuff that happens because of that in Dark Souls. Maybe they just need to widen the range. 50,000 souls, or whatever it is, is way to small of a range in the late game.

ElFly

He's talking about the one before Smelter, I think, and yes, it releases a healing water.

No.

After
Smelter, there's a room with some catwalks over lava.

You can go upstair there by using a lever. Then go upstair again, and there there is a Pharros switch.

e: the_batman: oic

2AdEPT

If anyone else wanted to know how to get rid of curse, you can just beat a boss and get human.....I tried three times, first two times I helped beat the boss nothing happened and my health bar did not budge. Third time lucky, host dies but I shot ballista and got Pursuer before load screen and got 8k souls! Moreover I got no curse and full humanity back.

Help me :(

I can't get anywhere near beating The Pursuer on my own, but I can't put a Soapstone down, the icon is crossed out in the status bar

How does cursing work this time?

So I am having a problem seeing summon signs. I am definitely online, see messages and bloodstains and was even able to be summoned when I put down a sign. I haven't seen a single summon sign since I started nor have I been invaded at all. I am playing on PS3

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
So I am having a problem seeing summon signs. I am definitely online, see messages and bloodstains and was even able to be summoned when I put down a sign. I haven't seen a single summon sign since I started nor have I been invaded at all. I am playing on PS3

Do you have full humanity while looking for them?

sixghost

Help me :(

I can't get anywhere near beating The Pursuer on my own, but I can't put a Soapstone down, the icon is crossed out in the status bar

How does cursing work this time?

You know how each time you die, your max health shrinks a bit? Getting cursed has the same effect. It's not nearly as bad as Dark Souls.

emb

Did you
drain the poison from the arena?
You have to
light the windmill on fire.
Lol I'm mad now. I just finished this fight earlier
without draining anything. I was surprised I got so few souls, since
it was one of the hardest fights in the game for me so far.

ironcreed

Banned
I found my new weapon for awhile and will be retiring my trusty mace. The Dragonslayer's Crescent Axe. Scales with Strength and does lightning damage that scales with faith. Fast and light and stacks damage like a champ.

sixghost

I was kind of disappointed when I found this out as well. Fighting a boss on a timer like that was extremely tense and unique in the series.

LordCanti

I've got over a thousand ratings on my message that I left at the spot where you do it. I like to imagine that each person shouted "BLESS YOU KIND SIR" when they were clicking the rate button.

Before doing it, that fight suuuuuuckssssssssssss. I mean, it's more difficult for sure, and more interesting in a lot of ways, but it still kicked my ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom