• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayah

Impressions so far:

-The early areas feel like Blighttown (especially Manjula)
-Enemies stop respawning after they're killed a certain number of times.
-This one area was open for me. But then I died, went back and it was closed out with a gate. WTF?
-Graphics downgrade a big disappointment but I already knew about that going in.

+More difficult than before
+Great open world/expansive areas

I really hope there is a big patch to fix all of the crap going on. I'm wondering if I should hold out on playing this further until they do that. Or just buy it again on PC.

Bell tower is the worst area in the fucking game. It takes only seconds before some asshole invades you, I've been stuck on Gargoyle for hours now because of the non-stop invades.

UnrealEck

PvP in Souls games still sucks so bad. Laggy, glitchy, unbalanced.

Level design is the worst of the series in DS2. Loads of areas that just look bad or are badly designed and look silly. Lots of square rooms lots of right angles and a lot of the game in general just seems random. Like they stuck NPCs and enemies at random that don't really seem to fit their surroundings. Bosses are dissapointing too. Very.
The level design in some places reminds me of old games like PS1 and N64 era. It just looks lazy most of the time. I've even seen fairly large but completely square rooms (no geometry at all) with the walls and roof using one single texture.

Worst Souls game out of the 3 so far.

fedexpeon

Banned
So going to NG is basically using a Bonfire Ascetic on all the bonfires.
If you have already used an Ascetic in your past game, it will just +1 on top of it.
NG will drop some new stuffs from other bosses.
BUT NG++++(4th playthroughs) is where all the items ie: Ring of Blades +3 will drop from bosses.
So...Who wants to burn 3 Ascetic and test it out =p.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I'm stupid: How do I bring out the torch? I must've passed 100 sconces by now...

Grinchy

Banned
I think it depends on the armor of your enemies. Curved weapons seem to degrade faster vs heavy armored enemies. A weapon with piercing attack will fair much better vs heavy armor. I started carrying around sword with my halberd for this reason.

Nice tip. I actually have 2 falchions, 2 rapiers, 2 spears, 2 longswords, ect. My falchions and rapiers are leveled up a little bit. I should have noticed that falchions were doing shit damage against armored bosses/enemies but I feel like I do shit damage to every boss compared to people I co-op with no matter what I use.

stupei

-This one area was open for me. But then I died, went back and it was closed out with a gate. WTF?

Assuming you're talking about what I think you are, there's a guy sitting right there who tells you that will happen.

Also a ladder close by. You can use that.

Grinchy

Banned
Just go offline if you're not making any progress.

I tried that earlier and then you get invaded by an offline NPC lol. The invader stays up on the roof, at least. So that would be a good method for someone trying to go right to the boss fight.

Ferrio

Banned
you know that power stance move set does a good deal more damage also, right? opinions on move sets can vary as well.

Except for the falcions so far, the added damage didn't see enough to justify it.

Question for stone upgrades

Does the blacksmiths daughter ever sell more than just shards? I'd like some poison stones...

sixghost

So what are katana users picking to upgrade and how. I see uchigatana is nice but it has a B scale with dex while a crappier katana scales A. In DS1 you just infuse a katana with fire or lightning and you become unstoppable, is that the same here?

The blacksteel katana seems like the one you want. It scales with dex at S when upgraded, and it has the better moveset. It's a really rare drop from the swordsman outside Iron Keep.

mujun

So I was told to go right of the cat vendor earlier but can't find what people are referring to.

I'll restate my position,
killed Flexile Sentry, The Last Giant boss, The Pursuer, Old Dragonslayer and Dragonrider

Can't get past
petrified woman on handle door, the door in the Forest where you need to present something, the device at the bottom of the stairs on the way to the Anor Londo looking area and also don't want to take on the three at once boss fight or drop down the hole in Majula as I think it will kill me

Where can I go?

Few questions :

Is defense as useless as it seems? Ive got this maSsive armor set and enemies still smack the crap out of me.

What stats should i be pumping as a warrior?

What's the best 1h weapon around lost bastille time? Im still using a mace i got early on, +4

Jobbs

Banned
The blacksteel katana seems like the one you want. It scales with dex at S when upgraded, and it has the better moveset. It's a really rare drop from the swordsman outside Iron Keep.

somehow I have three of them, can't be THAT rare. I did run through this area a zillion times trying to do smelting demon, though.

sixghost

somehow I have three of them, can't be THAT rare. I did run through this area a zillion times trying to do smelting demon, though.

Maybe I was just unlucky. I cleared that area 5 or 6 times with +itemfind gear looking for one and never found it.
I got like 3 of them from them. It just seems to have such low base damage. But again i just discovered the scaling damage so maybe I was looking wrong. So at max its an S?

At 40 DEX, which is the point where you get diminishing returns from most stats, the blacksteel katana does 10 or 20 more damage than the uchigatana, and it has the better moveset imo. The cons are that it's 3 units heavier, and has slightly higher min reqs. There are maybe 4 or 5 other katanas in the game though. I've only found 3, and I'm just about done.

I got like 3 of them from them. It just seems to have such low base damage. But again i just discovered the scaling damage so maybe I was looking wrong. So at max its an S?

Still there has to be a better kantana than that one right?
I put lightning on the uchi cause that smelting boss is driving me nuts and lightning destroys it.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
So I was told to go right of the cat vendor earlier but can't find what people are referring to.

killed Flexile Sentry, The Last Giant boss, The Pursuer, Old Dragonslayer and Dragonrider

Can't get past
petrified woman on handle door, the door in the Forest where you need to present something, the device at the bottom of the stairs on the way to the Anor Londo looking area and also don't want to take on the three at once boss fight or drop down the hole in Majula as I think it will kill me

Where can I go?

The cat is in Majula, in the closed door house to the right of the hole when approaching the mansion.

She sells a ring that will help you survive the falls if you don't want to take on your current area boss

Alternatively, if you've talked to the woman above the
Dragonrider
until you've exhausted her conversation, you'll find her
in the cave that leads to Heide's tower. For 2k souls, she'll swap where you can go and let you access the huntsmans copse.

Grabbed the ng+ ring that increases casting speed by 50% or so, and now I'm machine gunning 900 damage lightning bolts. Feels good.

Did you use a bonfire astetic? If so how does it work, everytime I try using one it says to defeat the lord of the area. Will the bosses respawn if I use it?

Maybe I was just unlucky. I cleared that area 5 or 6 times with +itemfind gear looking for one and never found it.

At 40 DEX, which is the point where you get diminishing returns from most stats, the blacksteel katana does 10 or 20 more damage than the uchigatana, and it has the better moveset imo. The cons are that it's 3 units heavier, and has slightly higher min reqs. There are maybe 4 or 5 other katanas in the game though. I've only found 3, and I'm just about done.

Sounds good. Dual katanas didnt seem to work well, they dont have a joint attack and just feels slow compared to other sword combos.

Can't power stance for most non matching types, think rapier+other small sword is one of the few.

I've tried combinations of axe/sword/club and they all worked together with power stance. Daggers only worked with swords though. Not really sure what's supposed to dictate what you can use other than the 150% stat requirement

stupei

Got invaded for the first time. In the wharf of all the crappy places.

Guy danced around me for a while with a shield that appeared to be 100% damage reduction. I got him down to just about another hit, but lost. Ah well.

What sucks is I just switched out of way of the blue about a half hour ago.

SharkJAW

Sounds good. Dual katanas didnt seem to work well, they dont have a joint attack and just feels slow compared to other sword combos.
I used +10 Uchi and +10 Blacksteel together and I thought they did well. If they consumed just a bit less stamina with power stance moves, I'd use them over the BKH. Their speed can really help, though, especially if you're able to break your enemies" poise mid-attack.

Can't get past

Where can I go?

Looks like you never beat
the three assholes in lost bastille, that is where you need to go. You can get there using the boat or the eagle nest after the pursuer.

Ferrio

Banned
I've tried combinations of axe/sword/club and they all worked together with power stance. Daggers only worked with swords though. Not really sure what's supposed to dictate what you can use other than the 150% stat requirement

I really liked the heavy attack for the falcions. Nice big arc, lots of damage.

Biggest disappointment was whips.. I was hoping for something really cool...

I used +10 Uchi and +10 Blacksteel together and I thought they did well. If they consumed just a bit less stamina with power stance moves, I'd use them over the BKH. Their speed can really help, though, especially if you're able to break your enemies" poise mid-attack.

LOL Black Knight Halbred I assume, looks like we dex guys are all using the same weapons. Yeah I am going to give it a shot.

lol, absolutely shocked by how poor this game is.

"Hey, remember the gargoyles from DS1? Let's copy and paste that and add 3 more of them!".

"What do we put here to guard this crappy treasure? Hmm, 15 dogs and a forced invasion sounds like good game design!".

SharkJAW

LOL Black Knight Halbred I assume, looks like we dex guys are all using the same weapons. Yeah I am going to give it a shot.
Lol pretty much. I really think From could've done a little bit more tweaking when it comes to dual-wielding. Hopefully, it'll be slightly more viable in another game.

rando14

"Hey, remember the gargoyles from DS1? Let's copy and paste that and add 3 more of them!".

"What do we put here to guard this crappy treasure? Hmm, 15 dogs and a forced invasion sounds like good game design!".

Gargoyles are an ongoing souls tradition!! They were in demons souls too...

Is it best to create boss soul weapons and accessories or just use them for experience? I just started and have 2 boos souls, but I am not sure if I want to hold on to them or pour them into my warrior and I think I have some great weapons so far. Also, does ADP really help the character roll, swing and move faster or is that a big misconception?

SharkJAW

A good amount of the game almost seems as if From received all the praise for Dark Souls, tried to replicate the things that people liked about it, but it didn't come as we'll together as the first. I still think this is a relatively good game, but it feels like it's missing something.

Ya, I started a dual wield playthrough and I just find all the dual wielding stuff to be meh at best. It looks badass...but I mean, who are you really showing off for?

Lol. Ya, the Gargoyle fight was pure lameass. It's incredibly difficult as melee (I pretty much gave up on my melee char). Sorcerer was infinitely easier. Just ran in the rectangle of the roof and shot as they came up one by one.

Are you serious? 2 of them were bad enough.......There are even more? You don't fight them all simultaneously, do you? @_@

Impressions so far:

-The early areas feel like Blighttown (especially Manjula)
-Enemies stop respawning after they're killed a certain number of times.
-Graphics downgrade a big disappointment but I already knew about that going in.

+More difficult than before
+Great open world/expansive areas

I really hope there is a big patch to fix all of the crap going on. I'm wondering if I should hold out on playing this further until they do that. Or just buy it again on PC.
Forget all that, the audio is ass. Lack of music in areas is stupid. Demon Souls has the best audio out of all them. So much is happening and is well mix. A good example is Tower of Latria. Were you hear crickets, fire crackling, bells with a nice reverb effect while prisoners are moaning. So much is going on without clipping in the audio. Nothing in Dark Souls II comes close in the audio department to the previous Soul games.

Ya, I started a dual wield playthrough and I just find all the dual wielding stuff to be meh at best. It looks badass...but I mean, who are you really showing off for?

Lol. Ya, the Gargoyle fight was pure lameass. It's incredibly difficult as melee (I pretty much gave up on my melee char). Sorcerer was infinitely easier. Just ran in the rectangle of the roof and shot as they came up one by one.

Can you block with dual wielding?

Ferrio

Banned
A good amount of the game almost seems as if From received all the praise for Dark Souls, tried to replicate the things that people liked about it, but it didn't come as we'll together as the first. I still think this is a relatively good game, but it feels like it's missing something.

More nonhumanoid enemies would be nice. Granted I might be like halfway through the game... but other than those arm creatures in wharf I haven't seen much that's creepy.

Can you block with dual wielding?

Nope. Lot of negatives with duel wielding really.

-No blocking
-Attacks usually lot longer startup
-Higher stat requirements
-You need 2 of a weapon.. which means upgrading both.

so far I've found two katanas:

1) bladesteel katana drop from the ninjas in iron fort, which you get to from the huntsman's corpse path

2) uchi can be bought from the blacksmith in bastille, but only after you get the ember from iron fort

might want to rush that path if you want to be a ninja asap. not easy but doable.

incidentally, I keep seeing a berskerker katana description in my loading screens. I want it.
How do you get there so early?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom