• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arveene

Neo Member
Since you're asking and I'm assuming you want to know. You start with 2...and if you don't kill em fast enough you get up to 5.

The next one spawns based off of total damage dealt to them as a whole. 90%, 70%, and 50% I believe. If you split your damage you can get all 5 up at once. If you focus just one at a time, the most you'll ever have up is 3.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
the fact that big weapon str build users are having a much easier time than me in pve makes destroying them in pvp with my rapier so much more satisfying.

Mana Sin

I see boss spoilers, but no spoiler tags.

Say, can you clear out the
foggy area
in the
Shaded Woods
? What's the deal with the
moaning trees
?

The channelers trident is a pretty cool weapon, whats the deal with the morale ability it has when you 2 hand it? Is that something you can use in boss fights when you're playing coop to increase damage?

Remember the fog gate with the three paths, one of which leads to a completely fogged out area with nearly invisible dudes? Go to that bonfire. As you're looking at the bonfire, you want the door on the far left. You should come to a pillar in the road/dead end. Look around and there is a foot path you can take that will bring you to the Shrine of Winter, which those souls should open.

When you say spider soul, you mean the one that you pick up off the ground after the fight, right?

In response to the second part, yes. And thank you! Made a bunch of progress now.

Is there any better tank weapon than the
Black Knight Halberd
?

I loved it in DS I, and I love it again. Do any of the boss weapons compare? From peaking at the wiki, looks like no . . .

Also, the
Rusted Mastadon Armor/Shield combo
is so freaking cool! Finally feel like a true tank again.

Eusis

God dammit, the boss of the Iron Keep
Old Iron King has a bullshit LASER BEAM that pierces through concrete, knocks out my stamina, and keeps on going so it can knock me into the lava and die. I suspect this is actually meant to be an anti-camping maneuver, but I moved into that position to fucking watch what he does then act, not just spam arrows or some such shit. And right at the start of the battle too, not when I stayed there forever.
the game is fun but can't touch DS1. level design has yet to wow me.
Yeah, it's way better than a lot of games out there still, but DS1 had the Metroid world design that DSII just goes "eh, whatever" too, which I suspect is partially a casualty of the fast travel (more specifically to the extent they did it) and makes it feel more like Demon's Souls II with recycled assets from Dark Souls. With the lack of good Metroid-style design in many 3D games it's a disappointment, albeit a relatively minor one all things considered. I'd think for the next game they need to meet half way between Dark Souls and Dark Souls II: A few select warp points throughout the game, but not making every single bonfire one. Something to encourage weaving the world together better, but not make it unreasonably monotonous traversing the world.

More nonhumanoid enemies would be nice. Granted I might be like halfway through the game... but other than those arm creatures in wharf I haven't seen much that's creepy.

Nope. Lot of negatives with duel wielding really.

-No blocking
-Attacks usually lot longer startup
-Higher stat requirements
-You need 2 of a weapon.. which means upgrading both.

That what I thought. Thanks.

Stoze

Just finished killing my 8th boss in No Man's Warf. Easiest boss I've faced hands down, though I'm definitely over-leveled for this area. Still, it had ridiculously easy to dodge attack patterns. Is there something I missed in the Warf? I only got one bonfire at the start, found a couple good items, and then fought the boss and left.

Also, how do I get the item on the hanging corpse above the bonfire/blacksmith area in Lost Bastille? I would look around more now that I've gotten the Bastille key but I'm kinda sick of that place.

bender

What time is it?
A good amount of the game almost seems as if From received all the praise for Dark Souls, tried to replicate the things that people liked about it, but it didn't come as we'll together as the first. I still think this is a relatively good game, but it feels like it's missing something.

I think it would be hard for From to recapture the sense of wonder from the first two Souls games for anyone who has experienced them. You know their bag of tricks and there is a bunch of recycled content. They typical craft wonderful worlds but this doesn't seem up to snuff with the previous two games. It just seems more linear this time around but maybe that has more to do with knowing how From likes to use every nook and cranny.

If you've played Dark Souls more than once the fight will be quite simple though. They are way weaker than the ones in DS1 and they have a similar moveset so they're not hard to beat.

Edit: Added spoiler tags. Sorry about that guys.

Ok, that's good to know. I think I handled them fairly well in DS, so I think(hope) I will be fine.

BigDug13

More nonhumanoid enemies would be nice. Granted I might be like halfway through the game... but other than those arm creatures in wharf I haven't seen much that's creepy.

Nope. Lot of negatives with duel wielding really.

-No blocking
-Attacks usually lot longer startup
-Higher stat requirements
-You need 2 of a weapon.. which means upgrading both.

There's probably a good reason why it wasn't something most people did. The guys in 300 definitely wouldn't have lasted as long replacing their shield with another weapon. Even a 2h user can press the block button to shave off 50ish% damage. It seems like an impractical weapon setup in general as the offense gained doesn't equal the defense lost.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I just finished this game totally blind by basically ignoring everything even tangentially associated with video games on the internet for the past week.

Now that I am looking at the internet again I can see that I missed a lot of things. A lot of a lot of things. On the flipside I do not feel the least bit embarrassed about never finding the
Moonlight Greatsword
, 'cause man alive I ain't never woulda thought of doing that all by my lonesome.

It's pretty swell. Kinda fond of it.

Yeah I loved that bossfight. I also loved the old dragonslayer boss fight. Nice throwbacks.

Throwback? Even the the environment in which you fight them was a shameless copy/paste job. Mechanically, they didn't bother to change anything either. Is this what I paid full RRP for?

I've heard of recycled boss battles within one game before, but across two games!?

Mutombo

Bastille question:

I just uncertified that stone bloke at the upper level of the tower, in the prison. There is a bonfire in the room after in.

The fucker just laughs at me.
Does anyone know what his use is, or should I just kill him?

Hypron

Throwback? Even the the environment in which you fight them was a shameless copy/paste job. Mechanically, they didn't bother to change anything either. Is this what I paid full RRP for?

I've heard of recycled boss battles within one game before, but across two games!?

The game has a shitton of bosses and enemies (more than Dark Souls 1 did) and you're going to cry over 2 bosses? Come on.

Ferrio

Banned
Bastille question:

I just uncertified that stone bloke at the upper level of the tower, in the prison. There is a bonfire in the room after in.

Not sure why he's laughing... but he's the one you trade boss souls to...

Think you need 3 int or something to talk to him?

Mutombo

Not sure why he's laughing... but he's the one you trade boss souls to...

Think you need 3 int or something to talk to him?

Alright, he says something like that now you mention it.
There's another guy at the wharf
also harrumphing that I'm not 'wise'(?) enough. What do I get out of him?

Zukuu

Banned
Spears suck this time around. The one with the longest reach (
Pate's Spear
) has a crap move set. The one with the best move set, lacks the range, tho it's still usable. No all-rounder like Silver Knight Spear this time :( At least not a pure Dex scaling one. Lances are flat out TERRIBLE.

I do like the Black Knight Hellbarde tho. The damage is just ridiculous.

Best medium Shield and best armor seems to be
Drangleic
. The sword might be the best Quality weapon along with the BKH.

However, Twinkle Titanite. Twinkle Titanite requirements EVERYWHERE. I'm close to finishing the game and have so far seen 4(!) Twinkle Titanetes, including all Crystal Lizards. Just a bad pacing imo.

What are other good Dex (with ~20ish strength) weapons? Katana's seem so fotm. I'm upgrading a Shotel tho, for the lols in PvP.

Is there any sign of agreed pvp level yet?

Mana Sin

Bastille question:

He's a magic vendor. You probably just need a couple of points more in INT. I had 3 and he talked to me. He even gives you an armor set.

cheezcake

The blacksteel katana seems like the one you want. It scales with dex at S when upgraded, and it has the better moveset. It's a really rare drop from the swordsman outside Iron Keep.

Personally I prefer the uchi because I find the 1H heavy attack really useful. Whereas i'm not a fan of either the 1 or 2h heavy attacks on the BSK.

With 40 DEX/14 STR blacksteel has 392dmg, uchi has 332 dmg

But Uchi has better counter strength and weighs quite a bit less, 5 instead of 8.

Personally I prefer the Uchis heavy attacks as well

Prototype

K, have an interesting question about Skeptic's Spice.

So the item description says that it lowers the faith requirement for a miracle by 1.
I already had 4, and used a bonfire asectic in an area and ended up getting 2 more, which got me to thinking.... how far can you lower the cost of a spell? Could I lower the cost of spell enough that I wouldn't need to put any stats in Faith at all?

Hypron

Lobos just beat the game in sub 3 hours....:/ Fucking Club having A rank scaling for STR so early on...

How's that bad? I find it pretty cool to see people speedrun games. Especially with all the route planning that goes into speedrunning Dark Souls. I wonder how fast people will manage to finish the game in a years time.

Prototype

How's that bad? I find it pretty cool to see people speedrun games. Especially with all the route planning that goes into speedrunning Dark Souls. I wonder how fast people will manage to finish the game in a years time.

I agree 100%. Sometimes I think people just want to use this --> :/

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Best medium Shield and best armor seems to be
Drangleic
. The sword might be the best Quality weapon along with the BKH.

I used that shield for about 90% of the game, but there's basically a straight improvement across the board made with the soul of a late-game boss:
the shield made from the soul of the Throne Defender.
It's superior to the
Drangleic Shield
in every stat.

I actually felt a bit bad when I traded up in the shield department. That bad boy had been taking hits for me for practically the entire game when I dropped him in the run-up to the penultimate boss.

Chuck

Still without luck
why do i see messages around
blue crab dude
that say you need a ring? what ring are they talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom