• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zukuu

Banned
I used that shield for about 90% of the game, but there's basically a straight improvement across the board made with the soul of a late-game boss:
the shield made from the soul of the Throne Defender.
It's superior to the
Drangleic Shield
in every stat.

I actually felt a bit bad when I traded up in the shield department. That bad boy had been taking hits for me for practically the entire game when I dropped him in the run-up to the penultimate boss.

nice to know. I found the shield quite late actually. I got my first 100% shield when I bought it from McDuff lol. Shields in DS II kinda suck and you don't got a lot viable ones to choose from.

Soul weapon seem lacklaster tho. Not unique enough for my taste apart from a few weapons.

D. set + the Head you get from
the headless npc in the woods
look bad ass together. Unless I find a ring that boosts my equip load, I can't use them together tho, when I want to use my weapon + shield + bow.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
late game name spoiler -
I giggled at 'Milfanito.'

thanos.gif

Is there something of a miracle that buffs you? Like gold pine resin, or power within?

The miracle
Sunlight Blade
is in this game, I believe.

There is also a miracle called
Sacred Oath
buffs attack and defense to self and all allies, but requires 4 slots and needs
Soul of Velstadt
to acquire.

Still have no clue where this cracked eye orb is. If anybody knows please tell me. Need it for the miracle trophy.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
PvP is pretty fucked up right now imo. There's just not enough incentive to do certain things because of the finite nature of human effigies. I'd really enjoy sitting outside of the blue cathedral to PvP with blue guys but that feels really scary knowing how effigies will eventually run out, and I can't do invading of my own unless I'm human.

It feels like there too much incentive to PvP within specialized covenant stuff like brotherhood of blood duels, ratbros, etc. PvP right now just feels too controlled, and the crazy, uncontrolled nature of PvP is part of what made it so fun in Dark Souls 1.

Mana Sin

Interested in this as well, since I want to be heading to iron keep and I think this is the way?

The room with the "contraption" on the way to Heide's Tower should be the new home of the female miracle merchant. She'll open the way to the Copse for something like 2000 souls.

fedexpeon

Banned
There is also a miracle called
Sacred Oath
buffs attack and defense to self and all allies, but requires 4 slots and needs
Soul of Velstadt
to acquire.

Still have no clue where this cracked eye orb is. If anybody knows please tell me. Need it for the miracle trophy.

I think I found one by killing the fire lizards under the Last Giant locked door.

Shinta

Banned
PvP is pretty fucked up right now imo. There's just not enough incentive to do certain things because of the finite nature of human effigies. I'd really enjoy sitting outside of the blue cathedral to PvP with blue guys but that feels really scary knowing how effigies will eventually run out, and I can't do invading of my own unless I'm human.

It feels like there too much incentive to PvP within specialized covenant stuff like brotherhood of blood duels, ratbros, etc. PvP right now just feels too controlled, and the crazy, uncontrolled nature of PvP is part of what made it so fun in Dark Souls 1.

I haven't used an effigy yet, and I'm constantly getting turned back to human. I've been doing co-op, helping people and it turns me human sometimes even if we fail.

Zukuu

Banned

Yeah. I was farming
Iron Keep
when I got invaded. I was standing in the middle of the floating "arena" where the
2 turtle knights are, where one is bashing on the ground
. I must have looked like a fucking epic boss for him when he entered. I also owned his ass. Good moment. Bell pvp is meh at best. Rat is disgustingly cheap and has no honor.

Foffy

Banned
Lobos just beat the game in sub 3 hours....:/ Fucking Club having A rank scaling for STR so early on...

When you know what you're doing, it's pretty easy to progress...as with any game. And whatever way you want to slice it, a game like this does ask more from you, though still prone to that reality. :p

I've realized that the incredible amount of enjoyment and satisfaction I get out of these games had nothing to do with the challenge. It's the incredible amount of secrets, shortcuts, builds, and cool constructed world that keeps me playing for 50+ hours.

Are there any other games that do something similar?

Foffy

Banned
I've realized that the incredible amount of enjoyment and satisfaction I get out of these games had nothing to do with the challenge. It's the incredible amount of secrets, shortcuts, builds, and cool constructed world that keeps me playing for 50+ hours.

Are there any other games that do something similar?

From..From, there are a couple. By and large, the King's Field series is a perfect example of this. In fact, the Souls series is a successor to King's Field in many ways, so if you dig the Souls games, you have about 4.1 games to play! The .1 is because a demo of the third game is actually a prologue to the game. There's also Shadow Tower and Eternal Ring, spin-offs to those with the same core gameplay elements.

Littlebigbenny

Neo Member
So I am looking for a way to play this game...

I neither have a Playstation 3 nor an Xbox 360.

I also don't have a gaming PC at the moment.

I could borrow an Asus G70 gaming notebook from 2009 with an Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 and a Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTS. Do you think, the game will run on that?

Otherwise, I would have to buy a cheap used PS3 or Xbox.

Prototype

I sure wish I had a good bow right about now.
Fuck Amana.

this game has been a bit different for me, I use a bow in conjunction with my weapons in both DeS and DS, but this game I've largely gone without one. I have one, but haven't upgraded it or really used it that much. Not sure why, in the other games I felt like I needed it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Y/N answer:

(Earthen Peak spoilers)

Is there a trick to the Queen fight?

Interested in this as well, since I want to be heading to iron keep and I think this is the way?
Just found out, in a very complicated way...

After fighting the dragon rider, speak to the priestess then go back to majula and go down to path that goes to heide's tower.

After a rocky start, I finally found my bearings and am starting to really enjoy myself with this game.
However, one thing I keep coming back to, is, the boss battles suck.
Well, maybe thats going a little too far, but they feel like such a letdown after Dark Souls, and especially after the artorias dlc. I'm up to
that blind swordman guy right now
, and not one of the bosses I've fought seemed worth remembering.
And I just remember, Dark Souls: The Asylum Demon, the Tauras Demon, 2 great bosses fought within like an hour or two of starting the game... Dark 2 just doesn't have that strong a start by comparison.
However, I'm hopeful the second half of the game kicks it into high gear.
Let's cut out the human like opponents and throw in some giant monsters already!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
nice to know. I found the shield quite late actually. I got my first 100% shield when I bought it from McDuff lol. Shields in DS II kinda suck and you don't got a lot viable ones to choose from.

Soul weapon seem lacklaster tho. Not unique enough for my taste apart from a few weapons.

D. set + the Head you get from
the headless npc in the woods
look bad ass together. Unless I find a ring that boosts my equip load, I can't use them together tho, when I want to use my weapon + shield + bow.

Most of the boss soul weapons seem to start out really naff but scale up very aggressively with upgrades. Makes it kinda hard to get a grasp on how well they stack up without burning the upgrade items to see them in their final forms.

The one boss weapon that I made and fully upgraded was amazeballs, though. We're talking instantly doubling my melee damage compared to the maxed-out Twinkling Titanite weapon I was using before switching.

I have absolutely no idea how representative that example is (probably not very, frankly) of boss weapons in general, but in my one test case the boss weapon really found its footing once I'd paid a king's ransom to bring it to +5.

Zukuu

Banned
can someone tell me what in the chest on
the lava pits
is in,
iron keep
? (the one in the 3rd area, not first). I don't seem to get get it no matter what I try.

fedexpeon

Banned
However, I'm hopeful the second half of the game kicks it into high gear.
Let's cut out the human like opponents and throw in some giant monsters already!

The midpoint bosses are either decent to great...then the two endgame bosse are just plain crap(basically miniboss design)
Overall, not as great as the PTD DLC or to original DS but still good enough bosses in the midpoint that make this game a Souls series.

Mana Sin

Wait, that's what it does? I jumped in it a couple of times (probably an even number of times because my character is still a guy) and couldn't figure out what it did.

It swaps your gender for some reason.

No idea if there's anything else to it.

Are there any boss soul shields with guard break reductions higher than 75% (what the rusted mastodon shield has. Might be done looking for gear know that I have my black knight halberd and this shield.

Chuck

Still without luck
speaking of worth, worth using the
root thing
on the
lion dude
near the
chest
in the
shaded ruins
?

Asked earlier but no answer so ill try again.

Is defense as useless as it seems? Ive got this maSsive armor set and enemies still smack the crap out of me.

What stats should i be pumping as a warrior?

What's the best 1h weapon around lost bastille time? Im still using a mace i got early on, +4

Zukuu

Banned
speaking of worth, worth using the
root thing
on the
lion dude
near the
chest
in the
shaded ruins
?

both are worth it. One nets you a
bonedust
(i think) AND
another branch on top (so you get it basically for free)
and the other one
is needed to unlock the last black smith that soul trades with you boss souls. The other one being Straid in the Bastilion.

Nose Master

Man. Iron Keep has been the first legitimately decent dungeon after about 30 hours. The rest has been so mediocre, right down to the bosses.

Also, do Jester Hat and Gold Serpent ring stack? I'm missing the item discovery stat pretty hard right now.

Arcayne

Just beat the grave of king
rat vanguard
boss. Wasn't too bad. Rocked the Bastard Sword for sweep damage and lightning arrowed everything down. I sympathize with the pure melee builds though, this fight would seem like hell.

Chuck

Still without luck
both are worth it. One nets you a
bonedust
(i think) AND
another branch on top (so you get it basically for free)
and the other one
is needed to unlock the last black smith that soul trades with you boss souls. The other one being Straid in the Bastilion.

thanks!

Asked earlier but no answer so ill try again.

Is defense as useless as it seems? Ive got this maSsive armor set and enemies still smack the crap out of me.

What stats should i be pumping as a warrior?

What's the best 1h weapon around lost bastille time? Im still using a mace i got early on, +4

If your looking for max dmg, quality builds are the way to go so DEX and STR. There are only 3 swords in this game that have a A/B scaling with STR and no C scaling in DEX.

I've never done much co-op on any souls game before for whatever reason, but I just did about 2 hours on DS2 tonight (more than DeS or DS1 combined from me) and boy does it change the game into easy mode. We just blew through every area like it was nothing, it completely changes the game. Can't decide if I like it or not. I did have fun though...

Mana Sin

Do crystal lizards respawn if you quit load over and over like in Dark? Or are you shit out of luck like you were in Demon's.

They respawn when you rest at the bonfire until you kill them. Then they're out of the game until NG+ or you use an Ascetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom