• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoze

Oh god, the shaded ruins area is hell on earth. Bunch of my equipment broke, ran into like 4 different things I had no idea what to do with, and constant cursing pots. Fuck that place, coming back later I guess.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Oh god, the shaded ruins area is hell on earth. Bunch of my equipment broke, ran into like 4 different things I had no idea what to do with, and constant cursing pots. Fuck that place, coming back later I guess.

You are going to LOVE
Shrine of Amana

Persona7

Banned

yeah, that area is really annoying. I might have been there too early though.

MilkBeard

Damn this thread really put a dampen on my intention of purchasing this on PS3... planning to make this my first serious entry to Souls game (only played Demon's and Dark Souls for like, 10 minute each) and this game seems... or I guess seemed... cool, but...

Damn. Really mood-dampening stuff in there :(

I have no other venue to enjoy this game other than PS3 too :(

I would suggest stop reading that shit and just play the game and have fun. It's a great game. You haven't played previous Souls games so you don't really have anything to compare it to either.

Arcayne

Gah, the invasions in rat covenant are abysmal compared to belfry. :( I haven't bothered to progress in-game much due to these pvp areas, darn it allll

Booshka

how do you quality in DS2? DS1 was 40/27, is it 40/20 in DS2 because STR is doubled by 2handing now?

40/40 is always my favorite Quality build, 1 handed movesets are underrated.

Not sure what it will be for Strength, because your damage output consistently goes up both 1 handed and 2 handed and doesn't fall off a cliff at 20 or 27 as you might expect.

For min/maxing though, probably 40 dex, then whatever amount of STR you need to 2 hand ultras and giant hammers

Where? Just to pick a few random examples, example,
there's a door right outside the gate to first boss, and a pair of doors right in front of gate to Lost Sinner. Where are those keys?

first one
you have to beat the main boss in Iron Keep

ones before
Sinner, you have to beat the gargoyles in Belfry Luna.

those doors aren't even worth opening, from my experience.

how do you quality in DS2? DS1 was 40/27, is it 40/20 in DS2 because STR is doubled by 2handing now?

Someone told STR doesn't scale when 2h anymore. So a 40/40 weapon 2h won't have the same AR as a 40/20 2h weapon.

Thats what I've been trying to find out but it seems not many people know yet.

You can buy repair powder from the blacksmith but it's expensive. Like 2500 souls. I don't remember if his stock is infinite.

No bonfire run (you get a reward for no deaths either FYI) seems best left for a NG+ really.

I think you're gonna have to run around with many weapons. There's a ring called Ring of Bracing Knuckles that increases durability btw.

Would it still work in NG+? Seems kind of cheating since you can stock on items before doing it.

Since I'm doing a quality build there will be plenty of weapons but later on I can only level a few. I think that ring is my best bet.

Ferr986

Sorry because it has been probably asked before, but is the endurance softcap still 40? Because I remember reading it was lower now that theres more stats to increase.

In DS1 leveling END was the way to go for me, so I need to plan to continue leveling it now that im at 20 END

Soriku

Would it still work in NG+? Seems kind of cheating since you can stock on items before doing it.

Since I'm doing a quality build there will be plenty of weapons but later on I can only level a few. I think that ring is my best bet.

I don't know the specifics, but I'd be surprised if it didn't work in NG+...

Sorry because it has been probably asked before, but is the endurance softcap still 40? Because I remember reading it was lower now that theres more stats to increase.

In DS1 leveling END was the way to go for me, so I need to plan to continue leveling it now that im at 20 END

Soft cap is 20.

Made some good progress today. Joined the
Sunbro
Covenant, then killed the
Covetous
Demon. Made my up the windmill tower and found some loot and a new merchant. Now I'm rocking the Black Armor Set and (helm drop)
a Mannikin Mask

Now for that
Medusa
boss, how do I burn the
windmills
? Do I throw firebombs at a certain place?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Way of Blue WTF! Finally had my first invasion at SL 70 in Hunter's Copse. Kited the invader for awhile hoping for some damn reinforcements that never showed. Is no one in the Blue Defender covenant to help out? So let down after waiting all this time for it to happen too.

MYE

Damn this thread really put a dampen on my intention of purchasing this on PS3... planning to make this my first serious entry to Souls game (only played Demon's and Dark Souls for like, 10 minute each) and this game seems... or I guess seemed... cool, but...

Get Demon's instead

Has anyone had items vanish from their inventory? I picked up an Estus Flask Shard from the Mansion in Manjula, and when I went to the Bonfire it said I hadn't got any. Weird!

Baliis

Somehow managed to kill the
Ruin Sents
on my first try after a super long fight and a lot of healing. What a rush, my Falchion even broke on the last hit.

Stoze

yeah, that area is really annoying. I might have been there too early though.

I think I actually cleared nearly all of it except the boss out, but it was pretty tedious.
Went back to a different route and found The Gutter, which also looks awful ><.

chunk3rvd

Don't let that thread affect your decision. Just give it a try. I got the platinum on Demon's and have over 1000 hours on Dark split across PS3 and PC. I went on full media blackout for this game but stupidly let myself pay attention to these threads on performance issues at the last minute and let it get into my head

I spent the firsts hour or so of the game over analysing everything and admittedly the first 2 areas felt a bit off frame rate wise but as soon as I hit the first proper area none of that was registering and I felt back at home in the cradling arms of a Souls game. Loving it so far so I say go for it. Unless you're one of those people that can count pixels and tell the difference between 53 and 60fps with your naked eye I think you should be fine. I'm not pretending there aren't performance issues and the whole issue of the bait and switch with the lighting is a shitty practice but if you ignore all that and enjoy the game for what it is you should have a great time

steven28

can someone answer this question? if i want to quit the game and it asks me to save and quit will it save the exact place i am? or will it save the last time i was at a bonfire?

MilkBeard

Don't think so, where is she? Why would that make a difference?

That's how you increase your Estus flask amount. She's standing by the bonfire in Majula.

EDIT: Ah, I see. Well then, not sure what happened then. Maybe you picked up the bone that you burn in the fire instead? No, you'd probably notice the difference...

I'm going for a Sorcerer build. I have played the game a bit - currently busy getting lost around that second Foresf of Giants bonfire.

I've only pumped souls into INT, ATN and FTH so far. Anything else I should focus on?
Hell, Faith was probably a mistake, I pumped it to 18 to see how that bonus staff performed.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

It's a shame that this happened, but this hasn't severely impacted my enjoyment of the game. I guess the same can be said for many others. I'm really looking forward to the pc version, but it's not like DS II on consoles is unplayable or a total mess. Some areas look great imo.

can someone answer this question? if i want to quit the game and it asks me to save and quit will it save the exact place i am? or will it save the last time i was at a bonfire?

Like the other games, it starts you off at the point you quit.

Majmun

The former.

You'll load at the exact same location where you quit the game. And enemies won't respawn either.

MilkBeard

The former.

You'll load at the exact same location where you quit the game. And enemies won't respawn either.

There is one time where I reloaded and it put me at a different location. I'll give an example, but I'm not sure if it will happen a lot or just in some places: I saved on the
ghost ship, near the boss fog
but when I reloaded it put me right outside of it on the dock. The enemies didn't respawn though.

Arjen

16 hours in, just beat
Old Sinner?

I'm enjoying it so far, but it's really not as good as Dark souls, i really really needed to adjust to the sluggish movement and combat. And I miss the connection between stages and unlocking shortcuts leading to previous areas. Don't get me wrong, i'm having tons of fun but it's missing that magical feeling from the first game. I think i have plenty content to go though, maybe it gets better.

Stoze

Before I forget, I think I'm running into a glitch with the crystal lizards. The last two I saw I did a jump leap and killed them right as they were about to dissapear, and I get their souls but no items drop. Then the lizard body stays there and I can still hear the twinkling sound, but I can't attack them, and the body and sound stays there until I hit up a bonfire. This last happened
near the bottom of the well at Majula, it was on the bridge to a chest.

I went back to check if they were there after hitting a bonfire, but they're gone. So has anyone else run into this glitch? Because I think I got fucked out of some twinkling titanite.

Cronen

I'm currently using the Large Leather Shield which gives me 90% physical reduction, but ideally I want to have a shield that can give me 100%.

Does anyone have any recommendations at all? For where I am in the game, I am at Heide's Tower of Flame and have
just beaten The Dragorider. However Old Dragonslayer is now kicking my ass!

Mana Sin

There is one time where I reloaded and it put me at a different location. I'll give an example, but I'm not sure if it will happen a lot or just in some places: I saved on the
ghost ship, near the boss fog
but when I reloaded it put me right outside of it on the dock. The enemies didn't respawn though.

I think that might be because the
ship can move (you had to ring a bell for it to come)

I think the game just doesn't want you to spawn in mid-air, on the off-chance that what you were standing on moved for some reason. Not that something like that is likely, but that's my best guess.

Cronen said:
I'm currently using the Large Leather Shield which gives me 90% physical reduction, but ideally I want to have a shield that can give me 100%.

Does anyone have any recommendations at all? For where I am in the game, I am at Heide's Tower of Flame and have just beaten The Dragorider. However Old Dragonslayer is now kicking my ass!

Have you beaten
Pursuer
? There's a
nice pile of items hidden in the room after him, including a shield I've been using for most of the game so far.

16 hours in, just beat
Old Sinner?

I'm enjoying it so far, but it's really not as good as Dark souls, i really really needed to adjust to the sluggish movement and combat. And I miss the connection between stages and unlocking shortcuts leading to previous areas. Don't get me wrong, i'm having tons of fun but it's missing that magical feeling from the first game. I think i have plenty content to go though, maybe it gets better.

Do the different areas in the game really seem like separate zones linked by corridors?

Just how elegantly interconnected the world of Lordran was in DS1 never ceased to amaze me. if that's missing from DS2 then it's a big strike against it for me.

Cronen

Have you beaten
Pursuer
? There's a
nice pile of items hidden in the room after him, including a shield I've been using for most of the game so far.

Yeah I have beaten him and have the shield that was found there, but equipping it causes me to fat roll, so I had been holding off using it. I guess I should just look at leveling up my Vitality so that I can have my speedy roll back! :)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom