• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcayne

Mm... I'm hoping its because its late since I haven't gotten a single invader in the rat covenant in 10ish minutes. I miss the belfry tower already!

Aaaand as soon as I said that, got an invader, lols.

Spent some time doing some Jolly cooperation in the Forest of Fallen Giants and in Heide's Tower of Flame. So
I finally beaten the Last Giant, I need to head to Heide's Tower of Flame right? And where do I finally get some new armor :/

Jobbs

Banned
Spent some time doing some Jolly cooperation in the Forest of Fallen Giants and in Heide's Tower of Flame. So
I finally beaten the Last Giant, I need to head to Heide's Tower of Flame right? And where do I finally get some new armor :/

you can go to tower of flame if you want and it's often the second place to go. You can get a
free set of knight's armor if yo beat the dragonrider boss and then go up on top of the tower and into the passageway. Explore that transitional area (before you get to the wharf, which is the next area) and you'll find the knight set.

Randam

Srsly, this game is lightyears below demon's and dark souls 1.

Lightyears!!

9 bosses and all war huge disappointment.

And shaded woods?
People say lost izalith looks bad. Wait till you get there.

And lol at the boss.

Game looks and feels like the arabian that made the Uncharted-clone Unearthed now made a dark souls clone.

Mana Sin

Holy crap. I nearly killed
Orifex
. I should have known better than to
blindly attack weirdly placed enemies after Eingyi.

Luckily, I stopped attacking before it was too late and she doesn't even want to kill me (as far as I know).

you can go to tower of flame if you want and it's often the second place to go. You can get a
free set of knight's armor if yo beat the dragonrider boss and then go up on top of the tower and into the passageway. Explore that transitional area (before you get to the wharf, which is the next area) and you'll find the knight set.

Thanks! and I am assuming
its to the right? and not left, across the bridge, into the blue something?

Why do i need Dex? Are there weapons later that have both a high strength and dex requirement?

As I said, apart from 3-4 swords, all greatswords and even Ultra greatswords have C or similar scaling to STR meaning you will be missing that extra dmg bonus if you did not have high dex.

Full STR is still viable as I suspect eh strongest weapon in the game, only requires STR and scales A with STR.

Maximum dex you need to wield 99% of the swords (greatswords and ultra greatswords is 16)

The hate this game is getting is unreal and so hyperbolic. I think many here played themself dead on Dark Souls 1 and now every little change is drama. I enjoy it as much as Demon's or Dark Souls. For me it still is Demon = Dark1 = Dark2 (so far).

I think this is pretty much the Uncharted 3 effect. People held up Dark Souls 1 as the Jesus of games and now the second game is still very good but not another coming of Christ and it is getting trashed.

MilkBeard

The hate this game is getting is unreal and so hyperbolic. I think many here played themself dead on Dark Souls 1 and now every little change is drama. I enjoy it as much as Demon's or Dark Souls. For me it still is Demon = Dark1 = Dark2 (so far).

I think this is pretty much the Uncharted 3 effect. People held up Dark Souls 1 as the Jesus of games and now the second game is still very good but not another coming of Christ and it is getting trashed.

Agreed.

Stillmatic

Did you step into a coffin by any chance? :3

Oh man, really? I thought I was buzzing out last night. When my character was getting hit he'd sound like a woman, I ignored it for a while thinking it was a bug. After a couple of hours it kept happening so I took off all my characters clothes and yep, cloth wrapped around titties. I was just sitting there thinking what the fuck happened, did I accidentally change gender before saving my character and I didn't notice before? I'm sure my character was a man last time I played. Was it just bugging? I reloaded my game and it was still the same. I had to accept the fact my man was now a woman. Fucking FROM! You got me!

Arcayne

As I said, apart from 3-4 swords, all greatswords and even Ultra greatswords have C or similar scaling to STR meaning you will be missing that extra dmg bonus if you did not have high dex.

Full STR is still viable as I suspect eh strongest weapon in the game, only requires STR and scales A with STR.

Maximum dex you need to wield 99% of the swords (greatswords and ultra greatswords is 16)

You're making me feel really bad about going with a strength and faith build :( Perhaps I'll respec to dex and faith soon, I like me fast weapons!

koryuken

PvP is pretty fucked up right now imo. There's just not enough incentive to do certain things because of the finite nature of human effigies. I'd really enjoy sitting outside of the blue cathedral to PvP with blue guys but that feels really scary knowing how effigies will eventually run out, and I can't do invading of my own unless I'm human.

It feels like there too much incentive to PvP within specialized covenant stuff like brotherhood of blood duels, ratbros, etc. PvP right now just feels too controlled, and the crazy, uncontrolled nature of PvP is part of what made it so fun in Dark Souls 1.

1) There is a way to become human indefinitely without effigies. It is later in the game but a bit hidden. Search online if you want to know.

2) If you are scared of dying, wear the life ring. You keep your souls and humanity, and just pay 3000 souls to repair the ring. (this makes the game waaay easy)

Despera

Banned

Not the biggest Uncharted fan, but 3 was pretty damn mediocre compared to 2.

koryuken

You're making me feel really bad about going with a strength and faith build :( Perhaps I'll respec to dex and faith soon, I like me fast weapons!

I played DEX builds in DS and decided to try a STR build in this one. Rocking the Ultra Greatsword on a STR build in DS2 and have something like 7 wins 0 losses against invaders. I think STR builds are fine, they stunlock you like hell and then you die. The thing is no one ever blocks and all they do is roll -- armor is basically pointless in PVP.

HeelPower

smelter demon was absolutely aggravating.

Honestly thank god for the extinction mechanic...the damn samurais before him are extremely frustrating to have to go through more than 10-15 times...ugh

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Damn this thread really put a dampen on my intention of purchasing this on PS3... planning to make this my first serious entry to Souls game (only played Demon's and Dark Souls for like, 10 minute each) and this game seems... or I guess seemed... cool, but...

Damn. Really mood-dampening stuff in there :(

I have no other venue to enjoy this game other than PS3 too :(

Mana Sin

Are
the corpses with no items on them things you'll only find on NG+
? Or are they just placed there to annoy us?

Also, should I
revive the second lion guy past the giant Basilisk
?

Jobbs

Banned

I'd say Dark 2 is awesome but not quite on par with the first one. It's made quantitative improvements in some areas, like with higher highs in the graphics department, and improved animation and nice cloth physics. There's also "more" in a lot of regards -- more areas, more items, more features (dual wield stance, more stat types). But it's missing some of the "X factor" from Dark 1. That special something. That special unity of vision.

Imagine you're a band making your first big album, and you put everything you've learned into it, and you have all kinds of ideas you've been working on and nurturing and everything goes into that great album. Then you're asked to follow it up. And for some reason the lead songwriter is bailing and some new dudes are coming in.

You've got a great follow up album, but yeah, it just doesn't have the same "special something" that the previous one had. IMO.

Eusis

Well, it's a bit give and take, and it's kind of the opposite in regards to volume of content at least.

I would put Dark Souls II as possibly lowest, or between two of the games anyway. But given the pros/cons of each of them it can be hard to pick a favorite, at most I'd err on the first two for really establishing the formula and DSII feeling something like an encore (and given how rare games like this are it's not so bad, even if it didn't do the Metroid world design angle quite right.)

cheezcake

Any strategy for freya? Some weakness?

You find charcoal pine resin somewhere before in that area iirc, fire in general recks her

I would put Dark Souls II as possibly lowest, or between two of the games anyway. But given the pros/cons of each of them it can be hard to pick a favorite, at most I'd err on the first two for really establishing the formula and DSII feeling something like an encore (and given how rare games like this are it's not so bad, even if it didn't do the Metroid world design angle quite right.)

See with the first Dark Souls I didn't particularly care for the areas themselves until I started understanding more of the lore, and with the lore even more subtly told in this game I feel like it'll be a while before the Drangleic really makes 'sense' to me, and many others

Toxi

Banned
Damn this thread really put a dampen on my intention of purchasing this on PS3... planning to make this my first serious entry to Souls game (only played Demon's and Dark Souls for like, 10 minute each) and this game seems... or I guess seemed... cool, but...

You should try playing more Demon's Souls and Dark Souls if you're unsure. This is very similar, so you can make a decision without having to spend more money.

That said, a lot of the opinions getting thrown about recently on this game are approaching hyperbole. "This game looks uglier than the previews" or "I think this game looks uglier than Dark Souls" or "This game doesn't run at steady 30 fps" morphed into "This game looks ugly! IT LOOKS LIKE SHIT AND IT RUNS AT BLIGHTTOWN SUB-10 FPS" for some people, and I honestly feel they're getting too caught up in the flow of that thread.

Prototype

some one want to point me in the right direction?

just beat
the rotten
and got this soul, I really the thought there would be more to do
down in the hole, is it really just grave of saints, gutter and black glutch? each area was rather small and there were only 2 bosses

I'm running out of ideas on where to go, I feel like I've explored everything.

edit: Never mind. ><

Arcayne

I played DEX builds in DS and decided to try a STR build in this one. Rocking the Ultra Greatsword on a STR build in DS2 and have something like 7 wins 0 losses against invaders. I think STR builds are fine, they stunlock you like hell and then you die. The thing is no one ever blocks and all they do is roll -- armor is basically pointless in PVP.

I went full strength (and 1 point of dex to use a shortbow) and have been having an incredible time.

Strength redeemed, lol. I played only DEX builds in DS1 and never bothered with strength and magic before. I liked hitting fast and being floaty, but wanted to try something new for a change. Figured the new game would be fitting, but I am concerned with the reported lack of weapons available. I hope its just hyperbolized, but I suppose it doesn't matter... the soul vessel is there for a reason :)

Just go play Demons and Dark then? They're the two best games on PS3.

Soriku

How would you repair a weapon if you don't have a bonfire?

Are repair powders cheap and can you buy them early in the game (limitless stock?)?

The blacksmith in Majula repairs broken weapons for souls.

That is pretty much what I think. Some things are better im Demon's, some are better in DS1, some are better in DS2. Overall they are all equal enjoyable experiences for me.

I agree, the quality between the games is rather similar IMO.

Randam

sorry but I don't get people like you. :D

You played the games for 10 (!!) minutes and are now hyped for the 3rd one?

But oh well.

Play dark souls 1.

BeeDog

In the Doors of Pharros area, is there any hole you should use Lockstones in? I wasted two lockstones and got shit for it, so don't wanna continue opening crap unless I'm sure I'll get something back for it :p

Soriku

I'm planning on doing a no bonfire run so how would I repair without constantly back tracking.

You can buy repair powder from the blacksmith but it's expensive. Like 2500 souls. I don't remember if his stock is infinite.

No bonfire run (you get a reward for no deaths either FYI) seems best left for a NG+ really.

I think you're gonna have to run around with many weapons. There's a ring called Ring of Bracing Knuckles that increases durability btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom