• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qvoth

so... what's the verdict on the best theme on this game?
i really liked gwyn's theme from the 1st, anything even remotely similar?

Alrighty so I still don't know how player matching works but I've been farming the NPC Belfry Sol invader to rank up in the covenant and all the human bell defenders the game is throwing at me are dying in no more than three hits from my Curved Dragon Greatsword +5 (400 ATK +150 from scaling :O). I'm endgame at SL128 if that matters. Seems like these guys are way under my level.

Stoze

Hmmm. Do you guys think it would be wiser to get Demon's instead...?

Kinda want to join in all the talk here, however :(

Honestly I would say get Dark Souls 2 and start with it then, because I'm also enjoying the feeling of being caught up with everyone for once with this series. I also think it helps in experimenting with low level pvp and coop, maybe it's just me but it feels like 20x easier to connect and play with others right now than it did when I played Dark Souls last year.

MYE

Then get Dark Souls 2. And after you finished and loved it get Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls for cheap. You are in for ~200 hours of awesomeness.
Why pay full price for DS2 when he can buy it for cheap by the time he is done with the first two?

Arjen

Do the different areas in the game really seem like separate zones linked by corridors?

Just how elegantly interconnected the world of Lordran was in DS1 never ceased to amaze me. if that's missing from DS2 then it's a big strike against it for me.

Remember after getting the lord vessels, area's like Duke's and tomb of the giant feel like a dead end? That's pretty much the whole game now i feel. Maybe it gets better though.

MilkBeard

Then get Dark Souls 2. And after you finished and loved it get Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls for cheap. You are in for ~200 hours of awesomeness.

Agreed. They made the beginning of Dark Souls 2 a little bit more understandable so that people could get into it easier. Although, I find that Demon's Souls as well has a suitable intro for beginners. It's Dark Souls that kind of doesn't explain certain crucial mechanics and expects you to figure it out.

Either way, I'd say start Dark Souls 2 because it's a fun game. Then go back to the others if you like the style.

I am in Drangleic Castle and think I have gone everywhere... I need a hint! Here's what I've done:

I've found four bonfires and have killed the two dragonriders, the only thing I can think to do is fire an arrow at the queen... Something about that area makes me think she's not real or something weird.

cheezcake

I am in Drangleic Castle and think I have gone everywhere... I need a hint! Here's what I've done:

I've found four bonfires and have killed the two dragonriders, the only thing I can think to do is fire an arrow at the queen... Something about that area makes me think she's not real or something weird.

Four!?

At that central castle bonfire, head down the descending passage and up the ladder to the room with the stone soldiers, kill them gradually but make sure you kill one right next to the petrified stone giant with the chalice in front of him at the back of the room, killing one of the soldiers close to him will activate the elevator near the bonfire, from there you can get a key which unlocks the door near said elevator.

Edit: Woops double post

Four!?

At that central castle bonfire, head down the descending passage and up the ladder to the room with the stone soldiers, kill them gradually but make sure you kill one right next to the petrified stone giant with the chalice in front of him at the back of the room, killing one of the soldiers close to him will activate the elevator near the bonfire, from there you can get a key which unlocks the door near said elevator.

Edit: Woops double post

Oh, totally forgot about that door. Thanks!

And yes, four!
It's behind a illusory wall and not really necessary imo.

Also, my game suddenly started showing me all the warpable locations... The ones I haven't been to yet are marked as "???" and have a black clouded image of the location. Did that happen to anyone else?

cheezcake

Oh, totally forgot about that door. Thanks!

And yes, four!
It's behind a illusory wall and not really necessary imo.

Also, my game suddenly started showing me all the warpable locations... The ones I haven't been to yet are marked as "???" and have a black clouded image of the location. Did that happen to anyone else?

Yep happened to me after I opened the
Shrine of Winter

MilkBeard

Ha ha. I was sitting here thinking: Wow, Hunstman's Copse is really cool, and looks better than what I remember from watching those videos of the beta. Too bad it's easy--
Oh shit, oh shit! Where did those 4 fucking crazy ass dudes with the Tridents and whips come from???

Ha ha. They chased me all the way back to the bonfire and cornered me in there and took me out of my misery. I spoke too soon!

Arcayne

Why pay full price for DS2 when he can buy it for cheap by the time he is done with the first two?

Because:

-he wants to be a part of the convo
-launch week hype still stirring
-online components of DS1 and DeS are probably absent
-everyones interested in Souls series probably playing DS2
-collective community help & confusion; learning new things from fellow gaffers and sharing findings with each other
-by the time he finishes the previous games, people will by then know what to do i.e. twinks invading OR no summoning help early on for him, and he'll be even further behind the general community

For the 300+ (and thats under-exaggerated, I can sink in way more) hours I will spend in just one game. 60$ is not a big deal. At all. It all boils down to whether LaughingBanana cares about a sense of community. All power to ya. I recommend DS1 if you're going that route.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ha ha. I was sitting here thinking: Wow, Hunstman's Copse is really cool, and looks better than what I remember from watching those videos of the beta. Too bad it's easy--
Oh shit, oh shit! Where did those 4 fucking crazy ass dudes with the Tridents and whips come from???

Ha ha. They chased me all the way back to the bonfire and cornered me in there and took me out of my misery. I spoke too soon!

Those are the worst. Evading them when beelining to
the chariot
was a challenge in itself.

Ken

here's my interpretation of shrine of amana as a melee

ibhWn66hNJuosT.png

Ferr986

Fuck those guys. I left that part for latter.

MilkBeard

Because:

-collective community help & confusion; learning new things from fellow gaffers and sharing findings with each other
-by the time he finishes the previous games, people will by then know what to do i.e. twinks invading OR no summoning help early on for him, and he'll be even further behind the general community

For the 300+ (and thats under-exaggerated, I can sink in way more) hours I will spend in just one game. 60$ is not a big deal. At all. It all boils down to whether LaughingBanana cares about a sense of community. All power to ya. I recommend DS1 if you're going that route.

I agree, taking part of the discovery of a new Souls game while the game is still fresh is an experience you only get when a game is released. And yes, $60 is nothing compared to the hours you can put into it. It is worth the full price.

So Estus Shards. As I have lost one to a bug (has to be a bug!), as they quite rare in the game? Would be nice to have 4 or 5 on the go. Stuck on 3 right now.

MilkBeard

So I'm not that familiar with PvP in Dark Souls, so I have a question. In Huntsman's Copse, there is a red summon sign by the bonfire, and I summoned him and we fought. It acted like it was connecting to the server so I don't think it was an NPC. Can people put down duel summon signs?

BeeDog

Nope, feels like I've hit a complete roadblock, can't seem to progress anywhere :( Stuck on the following bosses:

- Smelter Demon in Iron Keep
- Gargoyles in Belfry Luna
- Royal Rat Authority in Doors of Pharros (by far what seems to be the hardest boss so far)
- Executioner's Chariot

I've died countless times on these bosses... Can anyone suggest some other path I might take instead?

anddo0

So Estus Shards. As I have lost one to a bug (has to be a bug!), as they quite rare in the game? Would be nice to have 4 or 5 on the go. Stuck on 3 right now.

Sorry to hear about the bug. I'd be pretty upset.

They're not all that rare. I'm running around with 8..It's a good thing there a other healing items.

Corpekata

Banned
Nope, feels like I've hit a complete roadblock, can't seem to progress anywhere :( Stuck on the following bosses:

- Royal Rat Authority in Doors of Pharros (by far what seems to be the hardest boss so far)
- Executioner's Chariot

I've died countless times on these bosses... Can anyone suggest some other path I might take instead?

Literally all of those are optional bosses, so you'd need to provide some context as to what you've cleared. You can fight the 2nd boss in Iron Keep without fighting smelter, if you haven't yet. Pharros has another path that takes you to the required story path.

Estus Shards.

If there are 12 total and you have 11 20+ hours in, does that mean there are more locations, but the max you can have is 12? That would be good if true, as I don't mind that I've bugged out on one.

Arcayne

guys, any song as good as gwyn's theme?

I'm very partial to Majula's ominous-but-welcoming theme. I believe I'm still fairly early in the game, so I don't know what the later areas sound like.

Edit: Is durabilty degradation a problem later on? Just got the knuckle ring but don't know why I would ever need to use it. Bonfires restore durabilty don't they?

Ken

Estus Shards.

If there are 12 total and you have 11 20+ hours in, does that mean there are more locations, but the max you can have is 12? That would be good if true, as I don't mind that I've bugged out on one.

well, i just checked back in game and i have 12 flasks at +4, 29 hours in by the second to last location i discovered called
dragon aerie
. i don't know what the max is.

oh, hell ya. gonna be farming then

checking my inventory at the moment there's a alonne captain helm and a regular alonne helm, but doesn't seem to be a special captain's version of the rest of the armor, if there even is a difference. i have 6 gauntlets and no legs haha.

Did anyone figure out why Soapstone use is crossed out in some areas, along with other people's summoning signs disappearing?

I haven't beat (relatively early game
The Pursuer
myself, but helped someone else beat him, and died after summoning someone else to beat him in my own game, with curse to boot

Can I not summon at all in this area now? Am I still cursed? Even when I went human, my hollow appearance remained. If so, how do you break the curse?

Because:

lol people are still playing demons souls and dark souls. So no, not everyone interested in the Souls series is playing DS2, many more people will buy the game in the months coming.

Mana Sin

checking my inventory at the moment there's a alonne captain helm and a regular alonne helm, but doesn't seem to be a special captain's version of the rest of the armor, if there even is a difference. i have 6 gauntlets and no legs haha.

There is both. The captain armor looks kind of silly imo.

Question about Bell Tower area:
Can I keep invading after killing the Gargoyles? It's a surprisingly easy way of stocking up Titanite Chunks

Facism

Bell Keeper PVP can be hilarious. Have to deal with a greatsword-weilding guy who had a DUAL greatsword-weilding partner, both sitting at the top of belltower, clearly looking to gank.

This present problems for my STR/INT build, considering how growth with that sort of character is slower than these gooners. Lower hp and Endurance are my achille's heel.

Thankfully another guy invaded and we took it to em. Dealt with the phantom with a backstab, then chased the scared host down the ladder with a falling attack. He recovered, ran down the stairs, fell down one of the holes and took 330 dmg and died.

I was quivering with the giggles like Pique having his hands touched by Ibrahamovic.

Otherwise, been helping people with the Skeleton Lords. Super easy fight. Because they concentrate on the host you can backstab them and 1hk their arses.

Good tip for when the minions arise from the souls of the lords. Use an alluring skull. Pretty much all dem skellies will ignore you for it making it an easy mop-up

Dreaver

In Dark Souls I there was one class that was advised for beginners (I can't remember which).Sorry if it has been asked a billion times, but what's a easier class to start with (does it matter)? I don't want to end up hating my class halfway the game. Melee-orientated

Holy shit! Killed The Pursuer in co-op, sweet! Then saw a birds nest and got whisked away somewhere! :D So awesome. Travelled back though as I want to go somewhere else first.

Zukuu

Banned

- Executioner's Chariot

All are optional if I remember correctly.

Go LEFT where the Smelter Demon is or the different path where the executioner is.

Arcayne

In Dark Souls I there was one class that was advised for beginners (I can't remember which).Sorry if it has been asked a billion times, but what's a easier class to start with (does it matter)? I don't want to end up hating my class halfway the game. Melee-orientated

Pyromancer? Doesn't matter much, but pyromancer makes beginning easier. Melee-fire-combusting oriented class :)

Arjen

I'd say knight, high HP and adaptibilty and the starting weapon is pretty decent.

Yep, bell tower matching is fucked. Killed close to 10 invaders/defenders in the past hour and not one of them could take more than three hits from my sword. They weren't doing much damage, either. No way these guys are near my SL/SH.

Oh, great. Magic snipers in an area filled with water.

Probably my least favorite area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom