• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
And of course, the minute I post I'm having trouble with a boss I kill it on the next try!

As always with Souls, the key is patience. Baited the Pursuers attack chains and shot off soul arrows, rather than trying to dodge his attacks I just blocked everything. Feels weird not rolling around through attacks though.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yay, finally cleared the game!
Took me around 38 hours and I died 198 times.

As I'm not a person who enjoys NG+, this is the end of my fun with DS2. What a great game. Different from both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 to feel fresh and yet having enough changes so that you don't feel too much at home.

If someone wants to complain about the locations, it would be great if that person did that near the end of the game as opposed to 5-10 hours in. I've finally cleared DS1 about a month ago and while the ways various areas were connected felt a lot more natural there, the scope is way bigger in DS2.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm watching Elajjaz now on twitch, he's at the iron keep and it's entertaining as hell. Definitely one of my favorite areas of the game

So adaptability isn't that good.

e: not that it's conclusive or anything, but yeah, time to respec all the adp points into int for my hexer without feeling guilty~

Reading that GameFAQS thread, I found these replies:

It would help if the TC knew what agility actually did, rather than test things that aren't affected by it. No one ever said Roll distance was affected by it. The shield raise animation never ever changes, but the way it functions does. Your "block status" is put into effect sooner than the animation suggests at high ADP. iframes are only a small part of the equation.

Learn what ADP/AGI does before testing the WRONG EFFECTS. Here, let me test how much falling damage I take when I increase my Attunement.

I've explained AGI a few times, but maybe I need to make a topic and request a sticky. ADP/AGI is a godmode stat. But people keep HEARING things like "it increases your roll speed, your roll distance, your estus animation, your shield blocking animation" NONE of those things are affected by it.

Animations don't change one bit, ever. What changes is how quickly your character recovers and regains control AFTER said actions. You can dodge after an estus quicker. You can pop your shield up quicker after a roll. Etc. The difference is night and day.

You might as well test your item discovery when you raise strength, because that makes just about as much sense as your "test". You are testing effects that don't happen from ADP/AGI.

ADP cuts down the recovery time, or delay, after using any action, be it healing, dodging (maybe even spells, haven't tested as I don't have a sorc yet). People who say it doesn't do anything aren't testing it correctly, and they are receiving false negatives. They hear that it speeds up your animations, and it doesn't. It simply lets you regain control of your character much sooner after an action.

You know how you chug an estus, and you just sit there like a duck for like 2 seconds afterwards and you end up just getting hit again anyways? ADP fixes that. At 39 ADP (the agility cap) I can chug an estus almost twice as fast as my dks1 character and dodge out of the way of the next incoming attack. I actually feel very safe healing in boss fights and such. Lifegems become even faster as well. Not only that, but ADP increases your dodge iFrames. At max ADP like I have, I'd say I actually have more iFrames than my dks1 ninja flip ring character.

This is great for casters. This is great for speedy characters. This is great for dual wielders since they can't block. This is great for Strength builds, because you can invest into ADP, invest in less Strength, twohand your weapon and safely roll around, not needing to block. This is great for Shield Turtle players, because you can bring your shield back up much quicker after healing or rolling. It also lets you be a little riskier with your shield since you can lower your shield to regain some stamina, and then snap it back up in a pinch when it's needed.

This is the Godmode stat, and it makes me laugh every time I hear that it's the "new resistance stat" lol.

Also, Attunement increases your agility as well (though not NEARLY as much), but as a caster, if you have both Attunement and Adaptability, you're going to max out Agility and become a god.

I'm happy to see the poll is favoring ADP. There was a stigma against it when this game came out, but I think people are finally coming around and understanding its use. ADP single-handedly removed that "clunky, slow, frustrating" feeling that this game first gave me. I started a new character, killed a couple bosses and pumped a point into dex to wield the Fire Longsword, and then the rest into ADP until the late 20s. I couldn't believe how easy this made the game. I started wearing light armor and got the Chloranthy ring, and my stamina was shooting up the bar like a rocket. I could dish out a ton of 2h attacks, and safely roll away easily, and be back to full stamina in 2 seconds.

I hope more people experiment with Adaptability so we know more about it.

MilkBeard

First playthrough - DONE.

66 hours well spent, the best Soul game so far in my honest opinion.

NOW TO DO IT ALL AGAIN!

F0j8LrD.gif

Can't wait to hear impressions on NG +. I hear it's quite a bit different?

DryvBy

Is this game coming out on Vita eventually?

I'm on my Vita in my download list and it shows my Dark Souls 2 pre-order weapons as a download. The reason I'm asking is because if a game isn't coming out on Vita or isn't out, it will say "Cannot download using a PS Vita system.".

dralla

Anyone know how how attunement you need for a magic slot? I only want 1 slot but don't feel like upgrading unless I know I only need 1 or 2 more levels. I'm also not sure where to go next, dead ends everywhere, grrrr

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Can't wait to hear impressions on NG +. I hear it's quite a bit different?
Yes it is. I've started NG+ just for kicks and since I've remembered that I wanted to check my deaths I had to get to the starting town again. So many new enemies (completely new, placement aside) just on the road to the hut, lol.

Anyone know how how attunement you need for a magic slot? I only want 1 slot but don't feel like upgrading unless I know I only need 1 or 2 more levels. I'm also not sure where to go next, dead ends everywhere, grrrr

10 for one slot, 13 for 2. I don't remember the rest.

Reading that GameFAQS thread, I found these replies:

I hope more people experiment with Adaptability so we know more about it.

It is definitely not worthless, and that thread doesn't test nearly enough. I will wait for some more in-depth and conclusive analysis but I think I'll stick with 20 ADP for now.

Maybesew

Maxed out my first weapon last night. Felt good to see the Trophy pop up. I wasn't sure if I wanted to commit the Slab to the falchion but I figured that's what other playthroughs are for.

Now if I could just finish iron keep

Can I get some build help?

SL89

VGR 21
END 21
VIT 12
ATN 2
STR 16
DEX 34
ADP 21
INT 1
FTH 14

Not sure where to go next, I know I should probably continue DEX to 40, and that i've hit soft caps on VGR, END, and ADP, but I still find myself always wanting more health and stamina. And drinking faster estus is could be the difference between life and death. Any thoughts?

lewisc29

Neo Member
Just a question, I've never played Dark Souls as it has never looked like a game that I'd enjoy. However, I'm intrigued by the hype around the second. Should I get Dark Souls first or just get straight in to Dark Souls 2?

Ill Saint

I figured I should mention this here, in case you guys want to give it a go and see for yourselved if the look of the game improves. Based on a post by Sickbean in that other thread, in the display settings of my PS3, I changed the RGB Full Range to full and then set the in-game gamma. The difference was astounding.

The gamma in the game generally still seems to be way off and needs to be patched, but at least I could get proper blacks and more contrast. I found the lighting so much more effective visually, and it makes the torch mechanic far, far more rewarding to use.

It's a bit of a hack workaround but if your TV supports it, give it a try and see if it improves the visual experience.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure where to go next, I know I should probably continue DEX to 40, and that i've hit soft caps on VGR, END, and ADP, but I still find myself always wanting more health and stamina. And drinking faster estus is could be the difference between life and death. Any thoughts?
Try upping VIT to 20, you'll be able to wear better armor and have faster rolls

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Jobbs

Banned
Maxed out my first weapon last night. Felt good to see the Trophy pop up. I wasn't sure if I wanted to commit the Slab to the falchion but I figured that's what other playthroughs are for.

Now if I could just finish iron keep

Can I get some build help?

SL89

VGR 21
END 21
VIT 12
ATN 2
STR 16
DEX 34
ADP 21
INT 1
FTH 14

get dex to 40 then work on your endurance. endurance is everything. offense and defense. need more than that IMO. don't get caught up in the adaptability nonsense, I raised it to 20 on one character and left it at 4 on another, and dont' really tell any difference.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Just a question, I've never played Dark Souls as it has never looked like a game that I'd enjoy. However, I'm intrigued by the hype around the second. Should I get Dark Souls first or just get straight in to Dark Souls 2?

A lot of the Souls fun, is getting to learn the game alongside the community. DSII. Jump in!

Okay okay so 2 questions for you guys. Tell me some good places to use the pharos lockstone? i have already used one to access the
belfry luna
and where do i get more Large titanite shards ?

Booties

Banned
Now that I've beated a few bosses I can say that this game is awesome. The combat feels so good, the weapons swing nicely, the flow is great. The difficulty is still outrageous, even for an experienced player, but the item discovery and balancing is very well done. I feel like I'm stuggling at times, but not drowning. More roads opening up soon.

ironcreed

Banned
Iron Keep is pretty cool. Those Alonne Knights don't stand a chance against my new Dragonslayer's Crescent Axe. Keep dropping pieces of that badass armor for me, boys.

Donuts

Okay okay so 2 questions for you guys. Tell me some good places to use the pharos lockstone? i have already used one to access the
belfry luna
and where do i get more Large titanite shards ?
Don't know about super useful places but beware the
rat place. A few useless there I believe

So the door to (I presume) the
Grave of Saints (down that hole in Majula, at the bottom of the ladder that Laddersmith Gilligan sets up for you)
is apparently locked, anyone know where the key for it is?

MilkBeard

I agree with F0rneus, just jump in with us in Dark Souls 2!

I haven't played often but I first ventured to Heilde's Tower (or something) and started spamming that initial knight for souls. Please tell me that I won't trigger a 'no respawn' if I rest at the bonfire too often. It's a good place to farm for souls in the wee beginning of the game.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Before the game released, I spent...a bit of time arguing with people about how FROM was seemingly watering it down...and one of the reasons I believed that they were, is actually the thing I ended up loving the most from the game.

The limited respawns. Just lost shittons of souls that I'll never, ever get back. Sure I can replace them, but the enemies aren't going to be there forever. It makes exploration far more intense and rewarding for me. I mean, I died some dumb deaths in DeS and DkS, yoloing it up with the possibility of never truly losing them souls...But now, it's a real goddamn threat.

Donuts

When you respec does it reset all the stats to zero or back to the original stats for your starting class?
Youre forced to place all the points you've obtained back into your stats. You can cancel during the screen where you put back in the points and it doesn't use up the vessel

njean777

Where do I get Soul Vessels? I put 33 points into adaptability :/ would rather have put some of those into VIT if it is useless after 15 or so.

Will leveling up adaptibility ever get you to DS1 levels of manouverability? Right now my biggest cause of death is the robotic movement and overall lack of responsiveness of the controls.

The Persuer is giving me a real headache because, well it seems to me they changed the way button presses are queued. In DS1, say you block a hit, if you hit roll whilst blocking, as soon as the block animation finishes you roll. Likewise if I roll and press attack through the roll, I find myself having to mash R1 to fire off a soul arrow after the roll because the attack wasn't queued up. This will definately take some getting used to, my muscle memory of playing Souls is so built around this type of action without thinking about it.

You hit the nail in the head. Attacks not queying up is the number one issue giving me trouble.

After hundreds of hours in Dark Souls my muscle memory is not easily reprogrammed.

njean777

You hit the nail in the head. Attacks not queying up is the number one issue giving me trouble.

After thousand hours in Dark Souls my muscle memory is not easily reprogrammed.

Just have to get use to it. It took me a couple of hours, but after the first day of hating it I warmed up to it and now I have no problem with it.

njean777

You pay him to. He's in the
Earthen Peak
and eventually moves to Majula once you do the usual talk, buy, etc.

My question is if he moves to majula if you beat the main boss in Earthen Peaks? I did and tried to go back to talk to him because I missed him and he isn't there now...

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Sounds like a plan, any tips for a complete novice? Except for expecting to die a lot!

1) Death is a learning tool. Welcome it.

2) When you meet someone, talk to them and go through their whole dialogue. This is required.

3) Nothing is impossible. It will feel like it. It will hurt and make you rage at the game, at the devs. But when you win...Nothing can top that.

4) Don't go the Jack-of-all-trades way. Pick a build, a role to fill and pour your points into that.

Mana Sin

My question is if he moves to majula if you beat the main boss in Earthen Peaks? I did and tried to go back to talk to him because I missed him and he isn't there now...

He's supposed to move there if you
buy his ladder while he's there or when you defeat the boss
. At least, that's what the guide says (wanted to see if you could lock yourself out of him)

He stands around the pit/hole/well, near the armorer's shop. I'm not sure why he wouldn't be there for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom