• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattp

Before the game released, I spent...a bit of time arguing with people about how FROM was seemingly watering it down...and one of the reasons I believed that they were, is actually the thing I ended up loving the most from the game.

The limited respawns. Just lost shittons of souls that I'll never, ever get back. Sure I can replace them, but the enemies aren't going to be there forever. It makes exploration far more intense and rewarding for me. I mean, I died some dumb deaths in DeS and DkS, yoloing it up with the possibility of never truly losing them souls...But now, it's a real goddamn threat.

i though the same thing as you...but then i remembered i can just drop a summon sign and help people as a way to farm souls

Nintyb

Banned
How on Earth are people beating this so fast? I am over 30 hours in and feel like I am only scratching the surface, having only completed:

Forest of Fallen Giants
No Man's Wharf
Heide's Tower Of Flame & Cathedral of Blue
The Lost Bastille
Huntsman's Copse and Undead Purgatory
Harvest Valley and Earthen Peak

So much stuff to find and so many more locations to go. I am taking my time and combing the hell out of each area, and were it not for the guide, I would have already missed a ton just in the areas I have been to. And I am not even at the half-way point.

Some people are using the guide and others are just really good at the game I suppose. I'm only Sl55 at around 24 hours played and have beaten five bosses.:p

FFS, I still can't summon or put down I sign. I don't think it's the glitch as I have restarted several times.

There has to be something I've missed. IS there any point in the game where you have to summon as a tutorial before you can do it on your own? Do you have to finish dialog with someone? It's just not working at all. I did get invaded once on Tuesday but no hints that the online works since then.

Raxus

I was just hanging out at Lost Bastille's Tower Apart bonfire and getting summoned to another world literally every 1-5 seconds.

I've stopped now though. Just wanted enough to upgrade my Blacksteel Katana (sweet DEX weapon btw). :p I also tried not to be too much of a jerk about it, like attacking people when they're fighting A.I., etc.

I did the prostration emote to beg forgiveness.

Aw, mean. :>
I must be doing something wrong because I waited and waited and waited and never got summoned.

ironcreed

Banned
Some people are using the guide and others are just really good at the game I suppose. I'm only Sl55 at around 24 hours played and have beaten five bosses.:p

I have the guide as well and that is why I am taking my time to comb each area. I have beat 10 bosses in just the areas I have been to and I am not even half-way in. This game is huge.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
How on Earth are people beating this so fast? I am over 30 hours in and feel like I am only scratching the surface, having only completed:

Forest of Fallen Giants
No Man's Wharf
Heide's Tower Of Flame & Cathedral of Blue
The Lost Bastille
Huntsman's Copse and Undead Purgatory
Harvest Valley and Earthen Peak

So much stuff to find and so many more locations to go. I am taking my time and combing the hell out of each area, and were it not for the guide, I would have already missed a ton just in the areas I have been to. And I am not even at the half-way point.

43 hours here and I just started Huntsman. And not because I died so much.

Mindlog

I meant as a member of the covenant. I want to invade and earn chunks.
Yeah that's what I was answering :]
You don't need to be in the tower. Just put the ring on. Don't put the ring on while venturing trying to get something done because you will be called constantly. There was a stretch where every time I was returning to my world I was immediately being summoned again.

Zeliard

Yep. I thought it was because I was 'overleveled' but I cannot be sure. Getting chunks is a pain.

Hm, not sure then. Could be something with soul level/soul history range, or a server issue.

If everything is going right you should be getting summoned very quickly. I was actually quite surprised how quickly I was being summoned. It really was just a couple of seconds wait each time.

Ill Saint

Are you sure that's an in-game gamma and not just another brightness setting? You might have more luck tweaking your TV brightness, contrast, and gamma first.

I could problably tweak my TV settings, but it's properly calibrated. So I'd rather not mess with my TV settings when I can just change an option quickly on the PS3. I have never had issues with black levels in a game before, but this game has definite problems with black levels. The in-game adjustment, even at the lowest setting is inadequate to get proper blacks. This makes the game look more washed out, lacking in contrast, and dampens the impact of the lighting. Anyway, all I know is that I wish I had done this earlier. It has made the game more atmospheric and rewarding. Loving the lighting and torch so much more.

So current build - lvl 29.

Highest stats - 10 str, 14 dex, and 14 adp. Is there a recommended weapon apart from the Longsword? I've killed the
last giant
and would like to try
the pursuer
again, after he destroyed me earlier.

Also - where the heck can you buy items to restore humanity once the shopkeeper decides to move?
She moves to majula

kollapse

Neo Member
The game is brilliant and a lot of fun, but I'm working through it slowly because of a busy work and home life, like I'm sure many others. Like others have expressed, I feel I've been ruining the experience a bit, however, by using phantoms for boss fights. I'm going to stop that going forward (at least until my enjoyment is diminished by lack of progress).

Couple questions I would appreciate help with:

1. Armor: I realize there are at times conflicting opinions on this, but I'm going with a strength build and would like some guidance. I really want to avoid fat roll, but with my current weapon (greatsword) it seems inevitable unless I go with armor that greatly reduces my defense, and I'm just not skilled enough to be able to rely on rolling constantly to avoid damage. Given this is the case, what is the general consensus on armor? Fat roll with beefy armor and rely on shield, or suck less with rolling and be more fragile?

2. I'm currently in (about 6 hours in spoiler)
No-man's Wharf and encountered the enemies that cower from the torch. Having beaten them, I went into a 'house' and found a couple more who appeared unaffected by the torch, killed them and went upstairs. I found two chests there and a fat guy, but I got killed before being able to properly talk to him. When I returned, he was gone. Is he gone forever?

3. I hear a lot of talk here about ultra greatsword; have I missed this already (given where I am in #2 above)? Or, is it a class of weapon?

Thanks in advance everyone and sorry if these are repeats; haven't been able to keep up with the thread.

is there any type of cling ring in this one? If so, where do you get it?

Also, I have Sublime Bone Dust, should I just use this to upgrade my flasks, or does it serve another purpose?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hm, not sure then. Could be something with soul level/soul history range, or a server issue.

If everything is going right you should be getting summoned very quickly. I was actually quite surprised how quickly I was being summoned. It really was just a couple of seconds wait each time.

Yeah, I am level 87 and still get summoned rather quickly.

Marbles

Just beat a boss, got the message saying I'd revived but im stil hollow. What gives?
Also noticed that you no longer become human once you help someone beat a boss.

Toma

So current build - lvl 29.

Highest stats - 10 str, 14 dex, and 14 adp. Is there a recommended weapon apart from the Longsword? I've killed the
last giant
and would like to try
the pursuer
again, after he destroyed me earlier.

Try forcing through the fight
by evading him once, then running back to a ballista and shooting him. Takes off 95% health.
. Directly after that
you find one of the best swords in the early/mid game that you will want to use.

Try forcing through the fight
by evading him once, then running back to a ballista and shooting him. Takes off 95% health.
. Directly after that
you find one of the best swords in the early/mid game that you will want to use.

Excellent. Cheers my friend - I know my task for the next few hours.

Bah, I opened up the wall to find McDuff, but I don't have any embers. I just unlocked the Shadow Forest last night. Should I have found an ember yet? I cant interact with him because he keeps asking for an ember.

Also, in forest of giants, above the first bonfire, is an item on a ledge. Can I get to that yet? You can clearly see it when you climb the tower close by, but I have not been able to figure out how to get there.

Also, wow, Lost Sinner was super easy for a "main boss". Easily got it on my first try. Its probably do to me having the tower shield. I love that thing.

ironcreed

Banned
How do you move the contraption on the way to
Heide's Tower
? I've killed the
Sinner
, not sure where to go now

Got talk to
Licia above where you beat Dragonrider until you exhaust her dialogue. She will then move to the room and you can pay her 2000 souls to open the way, or kill her and take the key for yourself. It leads to Huntsman's Copse.

Toma

Bah, I opened up the wall to find McDuff, but I don't have any embers. I just unlocked the Shadow Forest last night. Should I have found an ember yet? I cant interact with him because he keeps asking for an ember.

Also, in forest of giants, above the first bonfire, is an item on a ledge. Can I get to that yet? You can clearly see it when you climb the tower close by, but I have not been able to figure out how to get there.

Also, wow, Lost Sinner was super easy for a "main boss". Easily got it on my first try. Its probably do to me having the tower shield. I love that thing.

The ember is
waaaaaaay later.

I'd love to know how to get that item in the forest of giants as well though. Any ideas anyone?

How do you move the contraption on the way to
Heide's Tower
? I've killed the
Sinner
, not sure where to go now

Miracle seller after Heide's tower (after beating Dragonrider) will open the way for 2k souls. You need to exhaust all her talking options and she should be there afterwards.

I didn't find an ember until nearly 30 hours in (although now knowing where it is - I could probably get there much faster).
Huntman's Corpse->Harvest Valley->Earthen Temple->Iron Keep --- there is a dull ember near one of the snipers

nOoblet16

Man fuck the three
ruin sentinels !!

I've managed to defeat everyone possible and my progression is being blocked by this fight. Worst part is that if my phantoms die then that's pretty much it for me since I can't escape the battle using a Homeward bone in this fight since they have this massive lunge attack that can get to you and kill you from the other side of the arena.

Also so many guys online are idiots who just run in and then die even before getting to that fight. I keep hearing that there's a shortcut to this fight using which you can avoid clearing out the room with Royal Guards, where is this shortcut?

MegalonJJ

Banned
Can this can be played without an online connection? (360 vers.)

(When playing the original, if my connection dropped I would be booted back to the start screen).

Toma

Man fuck the three
ruin sentinels !!

I've managed to defeat everyone possible and my progression is being blocked by this fight. Worst part is that if my phantoms die then that's pretty much it for me since I can't escape the battle using a Homeward bone in this fight since they have this massive lunge attack that can get to you and kill you from the other side of the arena.

Also so many guys online are idiots who just run in and then die even before getting to that fight. I keep hearing that there's a shortcut to this fight using which you can avoid clearing out the room with Royal Guards, where is this shortcut?

The "door" that leads to nowhere. Open it, and you can jump in the building from above.

Also, if you are stuck
go do some shit elsewhere. I stopped fighting those bosses for 30 level or so and cleared 2 other areas in the meantime.

If you need a hint where to go:
Buy the 14k ring from the cat and jump down the well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom