• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeDog

Thanks guys for the replies. Figured I'd push through the Congregation boss (which caused some issues as well)... Damn, the area afterwards is fucking annoying (the part with the sandhole and those homing magic-tossing idiots).

Anyway, does anyone know what those red crystal lizards do? I killed one of those in the above-mentioned area, but I didn't seem to get anything for it.

purg3

slept with Malkin
co-op is so much better in this game I think. I spent a few hours just sun bro'ing it up and helping people with a few bosses. I went up almost 10 levels helping with the chariot boss alone as he's pretty damn easy. Its much easier now to just do that instead of farming souls due to the way respawns work, plus right now on most bosses I get summoned within a minute of putting my sign down.

don't know where to go next ,
should be something new in majula's pit and the path with the fire lizard, but i can't go there, http://i.minus.com/iWsgbXio4AHLF.jpg

]The gutter/black gulch down in the Majula pit, or the Iron Keep. Harvest Valley and Earthen Peak as well

Soriku

Yeah I read that Adap thread earlier and felt confused lol. Mine's at 20 and I'll keep it there for now.

I don't know whether I should raise Vigor anymore and how much. Mine is at 20 but it still gives me 20 HP per raise and it seems like it could be helpful to raise it some more, but I don't know for sure.

Note that this is just i frames. What about how quick you recover after being stunlocked, how quick you can raise your shield and run speed increase.

Nevertheless if your looking for fast rolling, low equip load is what you should be looking at not high ADP and so VIT is more important.

I wonder...

So far I've found Vitality rather useless. There's no midroll anymore, and you only do a heavy roll at 70% weight. However, by keeping your weight down, it seems like your roll distance also gets longer. The specifics haven't been ironed out, but I've heard that it makes a difference per every 10% thrown out. So far I've only put up my Vitality up by one (from 11 to 12) so I can keep my weight under 50% while wearing the Alva Set.

Also, I swear armor isn't doing much for defense, and I've seen people on GameFAQs reiterate the same. So I really don't know if bumping Vitality is really worth it over just rolling with some random lower weight armor, and investing points into other stats.

derwalde

when you respec, do you have to use all your level ups or can you respec to a lower level. im at 108 right now and i have the feeling this is a bit to high for coop?!

atm its really hard to tell at what you should cap.

on another topic: even with massive armor you get massive dmg. so yeah armor seems kind of useless, even more considering you could spare a few points in VIT if you dont have any advantage from heavy armor.

It's definitely possible. I killed him right after
The Last Giant
, failed a bunch of times solo, then decided to burn an Effigy and summoned two guys - one of them immediately
impaled me with the ballista so I said fuck it, went back in alone and beat him in one go. There's no point in even trying to block due to the stamina burn, but dodging his attacks is actually not that hard. He only has about four patterns which are slow and decently telegraphed. Never try to get in more than three hits, two if you want to play it safe, and only after he used one of his slower attacks. If you need to heal do it after dodging his three hit attack while he's still swinging.

Apparently you can also parry his attacks but I didn't try that.

Cheers bro, beat him solo second time just now. Tried your method but made a mess of it and didn't feel comfortable not having the option to block at all effectively as a fallback.

Went 90% shield and Fire Longsword+3. You were right, his attacks are very easy to dodge, rolling either side and backwards. One heavy attack at a time, keeping an eye on the stamina, waiting for the window to attack tomake sure he'd finished his combo, managing the environement to keep him at the edge, and myself in a position where I could dodge in any direction without getting pinned to a wall. Also used him to destroy the crossbow things as I kept running into them when trying to avoid his attacks

This is motherfucking Dark Souls

Ostinatto

co-op is so much better in this game I think. I spent a few hours just sun bro'ing it up and helping people with a few bosses. I went up almost 10 levels helping with the chariot boss alone as he's pretty damn easy. Its much easier now to just do that instead of farming souls due to the way respawns work, plus right now on most bosses I get summoned within a minute of putting my sign down.

The gutter/black gulch down in the Majula pit, or the Iron Keep

where is the
Iron Keep?

Crossposting this from the GRAFIX thread because I wanted to know if anyone else felt this way.

Part of me wonders if
Shaded Ruins/Shaded Woods/Brightstone Cove
were really last minute additions to the game or had pitch black lighting changed to full brightness at the very last second. Not only do the repeating textures look amateurish and bad, they cover absurd amounts of geometry - hell,
Shaded Ruins
basically has one texture on everything. It's really bad. There's no reason for that chapel in the distance to look so terrible in
Brightstone
or the ground textures in
Shaded Woods
to be so, uh... yeah.

But then after those areas it's
Iron Keep
and
Drangleic Castle
and a bunch of other stuff that, while still not as good as the reveals, at least look like they were made with some degree of love and care and look relatively great. I don't get it. There are a bunch more areas that are Lost Izalith levels of lazy looking, but the rest is at least artistically sound.

Raxus

You have to go to harvest valley then to earthen peak.

To get to Harvest Valley
talk to the miracle vendor you met after the dragonrider (?) boss and then she will appear in majula. She will switch the paths for 2k souls

I just got ganked by two invaders in Belfry. I had a good strategy at first, I backed up to a corner with my shield up and let the first guy burn his stamina up, then I had half stamina myself and took a couple swings.
He backed off long enough for me to regen my stamina so I tried it again, only this time he two-handed his weapon.
His attacks left me with less than half stamina that time, when I attempted my second attack I got gassed and the other invader rushed in to finish me off.

no no, i hit a mimic from behind while it was still in chest form, and its grab attack hit me even though i was behind him.

Happened to me too! I think if you're too close the little bite they do on wakeup after taking damage will still trigger the eating animation and then you're dead.

deim0s

Reached the bonfires near the entrance to the belfry. If I'm not ganked by invaders/protectors the boss does me in. I want to join the winning team! :p

So Bastille, there are ton of locked doors there, seems I'm missing a key, any tips? What SL you guys went in with the goyles?

Soriku

Reached the bonfires near the entrance to the belfry. If I'm not ganked by invaders/protectors the boss does me in. I want to join the winning team! :p

So Bastille, there are ton of locked doors there, seems I'm missing a key, any tips? What SL you guys went in with the goyles?

After the Gargoyle boss you can get the Bastille Key.

For gargoyles I was around SL90 with a +10 Mastodon Greatsword. Made short work of them :)

Doran902

I'm having no luck with weapons, 6 bosses down and I'm still using the fire long sword : / Where is all this cool shit that others have lol I feel like I have explored everything I can so far.

Prototype

when you respec, do you have to use all your level ups or can you respec to a lower level. im at 108 right now and i have the feeling this is a bit to high for coop?!

atm its really hard to tell at what you should cap.

on another topic: even with massive armor you get massive dmg. so yeah armor seems kind of useless, even more considering you could spare a few points in VIT if you dont have any advantage from heavy armor.

I don't think you can de-level, tho I didn't try to quit until I spent all my points lol. Maybe you can. I'm sl121 right now.

J4g3r

First playthrough - DONE.

66 hours well spent, the best Soul game so far in my honest opinion.

NOW TO DO IT ALL AGAIN!

F0j8LrD.gif

I'm having no luck with weapons, 6 bosses down and I'm still using the fire long sword : / Where is all this cool shit that others have lol I feel like I have explored everything I can so far.

I've been using the Dragleic sword. Go past the Pursuer's boss room and drop down the whole where there's a body and item on it. You'll get the sword and some armour.

It's a greatsword so you might not have the build for it.

Edit: The halberd is fantastic too. I can't remember where I got it though. You have to be direct with your attacks but it's very versatile.

mellow

anyone got the trophy related to inheriting equipment from
steady hand mcduff I heard you had to spend 14000 souls at his shop but I've spent way more than that and nothing

Will leveling up adaptibility ever get you to DS1 levels of manouverability? Right now my biggest cause of death is the robotic movement and overall lack of responsiveness of the controls.

The Persuer is giving me a real headache because, well it seems to me they changed the way button presses are queued. In DS1, say you block a hit, if you hit roll whilst blocking, as soon as the block animation finishes you roll. Likewise if I roll and press attack through the roll, I find myself having to mash R1 to fire off a soul arrow after the roll because the attack wasn't queued up. This will definately take some getting used to, my muscle memory of playing Souls is so built around this type of action without thinking about it.

Really? I have quite a few weapons, 3 bosses down, but not got the stats to use them just yet

Especially:

Drangleic sword, Halberd and Old Knight Halberd. Would like to see how good the Heide Knight Sword is when upgraded, but haven;t got the resources to try it out
:p

I wish elemental weapons had a visual effect on them, like fireswords being enshrouded in thin flame, lightning swords in lightning etc

deim0s

For gargoyles I was around SL90 with a +10 Mastodon Greatsword. Made short work of them :)

Hmmm.. At SL67, maybe I need to help out some people more.

Haven't seen any zweihanders or larger than my +5 bastard sword, have the fire and heide sword as backup but at +3 they're not much use.

AngryMoth

Fucking boss
gargoyles
seriously is it possible to solo it?
I did :D. Probably the most satisfying victory for me so far. Was pretty under leveled too in retrospect. Key is to only fight one at a time as when the next ones spawns is based off the total damage you've done to all of them I believe.

derwalde

Seems like those are mostly PvP consideration. I'm very happy with my estus speed at 20 ADP. At first it felt worse than dark souls and adp seemed to help that a lot, hard to imagine it's just a placebo stat :p

but if its only real advantage is the consuming items speed, then it is worthless imo. every boss gives you plenty of openings to heal. i have it sitting at 20 aswell atm. guess ill respec and try it out.

Truant

I've been doing okay with the bastard sword, just upgraded it to +3 and beat both the Heide bosses in one go. Those 4 estus were just enough for both fights!

When will I find a better strength/dex sword? Also, where can I get a Large titanite shard? ENB got one in his walkthrough but I can't remember where.

Doran902

I've been using the Dragleic sword. Go past the Pursuer's boss room and drop down the whole where there's a body and item on it. You'll get the sword and some armour.

It's a greatsword so you might not have the build for it.

Edit: The halberd is fantastic too. I can't remember where I got it though. You have to be direct with your attacks but it's very versatile.

Thank you! I can't believe I had missed that haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom