• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixlexic

Banned
Man fuck the three
ruin sentinels !!

I've managed to defeat everyone possible and my progression is being blocked by this fight. Worst part is that if my phantoms die then that's pretty much it for me since I can't escape the battle using a Homeward bone in this fight since they have this massive lunge attack that can get to you and kill you from the other side of the arena.

Also so many guys online are idiots who just run in and then die even before getting to that fight. I keep hearing that there's a shortcut to this fight using which you can avoid clearing out the room with Royal Guards, where is this shortcut?

the short cut is you have to clear out the guards at least once and in that room and go down .. there is a door that opens to nothing but with it open you can roll form a ledge outside and skip that guards all together.

Copenap

Man fuck the three
ruin sentinels !!

I've managed to defeat everyone possible and my progression is being blocked by this fight. Worst part is that if my phantoms die then that's pretty much it for me since I can't escape the battle using a Homeward bone in this fight since they have this massive lunge attack that can get to you and kill you from the other side of the arena.

Also so many guys online are idiots who just run in and then die even before getting to that fight. I keep hearing that there's a shortcut to this fight using which you can avoid clearing out the room with Royal Guards, where is this shortcut?
Shortcut is comming from the McDuff bonfire and then at the second dog around the corner you can roll from the ledge into the door which you have to open first from the inside.

Sentinels are rough at first but if you have two competwnt summons they become quite easy as they are no problem 1on1 but as soon as they outnumber you it's game over.

nOoblet16

The "door" that leads to nowhere. Open it, and you can jump in the building from above.

Also, if you are stuck
go do some shit elsewhere. I stopped fighting those bosses for 30 level or so and cleared 2 other areas in the meantime.

If you need a hint where to go:
Buy the 14k ring from the cat and jump down the well.

That well is the only place I can go seeing how I've cleared all the other areas available so far. I am soul level 54 and still have trouble with this fight.

dralla

Damn, this is strange. I started the game as a male but now by character is female, wtf. Not that I care, I actually like the look of her, but strange!

I just killed 2 more bosses on my first try, so far at majority of the bosses are predictable and it's easy to avoid their attacks. Hopefully they'll get harder but that's 7? down I think and only 1 of them was somewhat challenging.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Damn, this is strange. I started the game as a male but now by character is female, wtf. Not that I care, I actually like the look of her, but strange!

I just killed 2 more bosses on my first try, so far at majority of the bosses are predictable and it's easy to avoid their attacks. Hopefully they'll get harder but that's 7? down I think and only 1 of them was somewhat challenging.

You
shouldnt sleep in just any comfy looking casket you come across.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
That well is the only place I can go seeing how I've cleared all the other areas available so far. I am soul level 54 and still have trouble with this fight.

I think I did that fight at level 72. I just ignored it for 10 hours or so, doing other stuff.

It's not 'die in an area 15 times' is it, it's 'kill an enemy 15 times then that one particular enemy disappears'. I see enemies not respawn, but others do in the same area. This isn't as bad, but I still find it flawed and hope it's one of things they tweak in a patch.

I find losing souls now seems like a huge deal because I know I've now lost X number of times for those enemies I got the souls from to respawn, and if you die again before reaching your bloodstain, you can never regain the chance to earn those souls back. Basically it feels like you're always fighting an increasing deficit of souls. In the back of my mind I'm always thinking "well I could've leveled up a few times or bought that spell I wanted - am I always going to be underleveled now because I can never get them back?" Rather than thinking "Damn, well now I have to grind a bit to get those things I wanted". It's a different mindset and I'm still undecided if it works or not.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Have to say, I'm loving the new gestures. Seeing a sunbro in full
mirror knight
getup doing the 'this one's me', then firestorming before teleporting out, made me laugh so hard. I love how there are a few seconds to goof around after you beat the boss now.

There are a lot more bosses. And some are pretty tough. Are you soloing them all or calling in help? Difficulty certainly spikes solo on certain fights, depending on character build.

nOoblet16

I think I did that fight at level 72. I just ignored it for 10 hours or so, doing other stuff.
Also I don't understand what you are referring to when you say the door that leads nowhere, there's only one such place before going into the tower that leads to the royal guards, which would be the door to the left right outside the first bonfire in that area. And it has a cracked floor and if I jump in there I'll die.

It's not 'die in an area 15 times' is it, it's 'kill an enemy 15 times then that one particular enemy disappears'. I see enemies not respawn, but others do in the same area. This isn't as bad, but I still find it flawed and hope it's one of things they tweak in a patch.

I find losing souls now seems like a huge deal because I know I've now lost X number of times for those enemies I got the souls from to respawn, and if you die again before reaching your bloodstain, you can never regain the chance to earn those souls back. Basically it feels like you're always fighting an increasing deficit of souls. In the back of my mind I'm always thinking "well I could've leveled up a few times or bought that spell I wanted - am I always going to be underleveled now because I can never get them back?" Rather than thinking "Damn, well now I have to grind a bit to get those things I wanted". It's a different mindset and I'm still undecided if it works or not.

But the focus actually pushes you towards the Dark Souls II community - the only way you might recover some of those lost souls is to be summoned. I agreed with you initially, but now I'm leaning towards preferring this method. It makes an area safer for me once I've mastered it (faster traveling, getting things done, etc.), but I can also easily jump into another person's game and receive souls for multiple players instead of just what I earn. It's a brilliant move that makes this game distinct from DS.

How rare are human effigies? I haven't used a single one yet because it seems they're not something that is going to be farmable (is anything farmable any more? lol!) and I'm a horder not a waster.

Just discovered this one - apart from the shopkeeper in Giants selling them,
the skeleton in the mansion drops them.
I actually killed him three times, and he dropped one each time.

How rare are human effigies? I haven't used a single one yet because it seems they're not something that is going to be farmable (is anything farmable any more? lol!) and I'm a horder not a waster.

But the focus actually pushes you towards the Dark Souls II community - the only way you might recover some of those lost souls is to be summoned.
Yeah that's great, but my first playthrough is offline. So basically they're saying "don't play offline!"

I didn't find them that rare. They're drops, treasure and a limited amount can be bought from vendors. I wouldn't turn human after every time you die or you'll run out quick. Just save them for bosses or really tough areas where you know you'll need the extra health.

nOoblet16

I didn't find them that rare. They're drops, treasure and a limited amount can be bought from vendors. I wouldn't turn human after every time you die or you'll run out quick. Just save them for bosses or really tough areas where you know you'll need the extra health.

Plus there's a glitch which causes players to turn human after being summoned in someone else's game.

Yeah that's great, but my first playthrough is offline. So basically they're saying "don't play offline!"

I'm not sure they're saying that so much as they're making the game more difficult for people like yourself who choose not to play online. I mean, you're contributing on this thread, so the communal help is already somewhat relevant. If you choose not to play online, totally fine - just know that your decisions will reverberate even further than they might if you were able to play cooperatively. Playing offline might be the game's true hard mode. :-D

those Bells man.

That's all I'm gonna say.

I thought the area was fine until I reached the bells...

I was doing fine until I accidentally struck one of the bells. Suddenly five ghost spellsword guys swarm me and roast me with a crazy amount of fire and soul spears.

AngryMoth

Huh? Not sure if this counts as a spoiler but best to be safe since I'm not sure what I did to trigger this.
I can now see locations and bonfires I haven't been to greyed out in the travel menu.
Whats up with that?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

There are some endlessly farmable enemies, for what it's worth. If you're willing to grind for 'em even an offline character can get infinite souls. There's also always the Bonfire Ascetics to replenish your respawn counter.

I kinda like the mechanic they came up with. I've got sort of a romantic vision of completely depopulating the world and being able to wander around completely alone.

I'll never do it. But I like that the possibility exists.

I'm gonna keep this vague, but far enough into the game turning human becomes trivially easy. You don't need to hoard them at all.

Have to say, I'm loving the new gestures. Seeing a sunbro in full
mirror knight
getup doing the 'this one's me', then firestorming before teleporting out, made me laugh so hard. I love how there are a few seconds to goof around after you beat the boss now.

Hot damn, I am stealing this idea.

Are there illusion walls? Cuz I keep seeing messages alluding to walls being illusions but hitting them does nothing. I don't know if they are just jokes or if there is another method for breaking illusion walls

ironcreed

Banned
I have been getting some extra souls and armor drops from the Alonne Knights at Iron Keep, but I intend to come back here later and take on The Pit for now. Sounds like a really nice place, lol.

LVL130 and still have not completed the game!

I beat Dark Souls1 in NG+ at a lower lvl than this! There is just so much to do!!

I seem to have reached the final area though.

Grudy

The worst is not even the boss, is the long tedious path to it. The boss still sucks.
Just run through them all. I only killed them the first time for the items. You can also step again on the elevator thing when you reach the bottom so you can easily take it the next time you go through.

If I have to kill them I will have to use 2 or so estus flasks which I really need for sinner :l

Man I've been playing for about 20-25 hours or so and I havent been invaded once. Also haven't been summoned as a blue sentinel yet either. Though the PVP thing in Belfry Luna is hopping with summons.

Are there illusion walls? Cuz I keep seeing messages alluding to walls being illusions but hitting them does nothing. I don't know if they are just jokes or if there is another method for breaking illusion walls

In DaS 2 you have to press the X (PS3) or A (360) button to open illusory walls. Hitting them does nothing.

Gotta hit X(or A on xbox) to activate them now. Glad they changed that seeing durability gets lowered when you hit walls too.

Finally found the Crushed Eye Orb. It was in the Undead Crypt. Now I just need to find the remaining spells Whisper of Despair, Great Fireball, and Hush.

Press the circle button.

The only ones you melee to open are the ones with a face on it

Gotta hit X(or A on xbox) to activate them now. Glad they changed that seeing durability gets lowered when you hit walls too.

Wat. That is not mentioned anywhere! Anyway, I've only opened one, which had explosive barrels next to it, and I used a firebomb! :)

Links the Bonfire to right near the giant crossbows room in Giants.

Would like an answer to this too. Is there anything like the Grass Crest Shield in this game?

There is two different ones, but the stats are a lot worse than Glass Crest. Still good if you are going 2 handed, but wouldn't recommend blocking with them. I use the
Watcher's Shield
from one of the later bosses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom