• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soriku

I don't know what's wrong with me. After beating
The Old One
, I went straight for
The Pursuer
. I was still a very low-level character (below 25 SL) and he kicked my ass at least 20 times! I had to use 2 human effigies finally.
Two because during the first battle one of the summoned phantoms shot the ballista at me and insta-killed me.
I may have to farm a lot more to get my SL up high, otherwise I'm going to have a hard time with this game. I was going to go to
The Lost Bastille, but I think I'll go to Heide's Tower of Flame
. Doing a Dex/Int character FYI (I really want to try Hex, but don't want to waste a lot of stats on FAI).

Use the ballista yourself and you'll take off nearly all his health lol.

The Pursuer feels like he's too tough for the point you can access him, but you can trivialize the battle if you want.

so are you guys having as much fun with this as with the first game?

Yup. They're all fun games.

Okay so I'm in
Deadman's Wharf
and I kind of have no idea what to do now.
I got to the end with like 2 piers, one with an old man who I guess teaches spells and another with just nothing at the end. Am I missing something?

Try to get to a higher point earlier in the area. Run past the monsters with the long arms, run past the first building, and a switch is situated around the area past it.

About 6 hours in so far, game seems like a mesh of Demons and Dark souls with interesting results.

Got my ass handed to me for the 1st hour or so but now I've comfortably beat the last giant, pursuer and Dragonrider so far and heading into no mans wharf.

What route did you all take from the forest?

Carcetti

I've just killed about 20 people as a red phantom, wonder if there's a reward at some point... My tactics are totally dastardly. Poison, poison, poison.

Haha just noticed you could climb faster by holding up and circle. Don't recall that from DS1 or DeS, but maybe I wasn't paying attention. But seeing how many ladders this game has I think this is a good thing to know.

Also, does anyone else mess up their lunging attacks (up+R2) constantly? Don't recall messing up my inputs so much in the first DS. Feel like an idiot doing R2 attacks that end up not hitting a boss distance-wise when I meant to lunge at at him which would have hit.

Also, I feel like a tool using Drangelic gear for so much of the game. It works great, but I feel like I am missing out on so much other armor because of it. Reading this thread it seems like I'm not alone in gravitating towards that set.

Czigga

Is it beneficial in some way for a non-mage character to raise int to 10 in order to be able to talk to the mage in
No-mans Wharf
(earlty game area)? Does the character move to Manjula? (would be a small reward for me, I like filling up the town with npcs ...) Any quests that require starting to talk to him?

(I am about level 60, and int is only 5, so it will be expensive to raise the stat)

I too would like to know this!

Ravager61

Most of the boss battles have been pissing me off a lot. Seems like every boss has either multiple bosses to fight at once or throws a bunch of trash at you while you try to fight the boss. Leads to a lot of dumb deaths.

At least for 1 on 1 bosses I feel like if I die, it is mostly my fault. Not true for a lot of DS2 bosses.

Does anybody know where the sorcery Hush is? Its supposedly in Lost Bastille, but I can't find it, I see items all the way up on some of these walls and I bet its up there, just don't know how to get there.

Soriku

About 6 hours in so far, game seems like a mesh of Demons and Dark souls with interesting results.

Got my ass handed to me for the 1st hour or so but now I've comfortably beat the last giant, pursuer and Dragonrider so far and heading into no mans wharf.

What route did you all take from the forest?

This was pretty much my exact progression. Now I'm near the end of Lost Bastille, and I did Sinner's Rise along the way (boss would've been too tough without two phantoms helping me though). After LB, there are several areas I can go so I'll have to see where I want to go next...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I too would like to know this!

Getting your int to 10, then talking to him, might be something you want to do yes...

Does anybody know where the sorcery Hush is? Its supposedly in Lost Bastille, but I can't find it, I see items all the way up on some of these walls and I bet its up there, just don't know how to get there.

You can find the spell in the room where you fight the ruin sentinel boss. there are 3 hidden doors at the bottom of the room.

zashga

Okay so I'm in
Deadman's Wharf
and I kind of have no idea what to do now.
I got to the end with like 2 piers, one with an old man who I guess teaches spells and another with just nothing at the end. Am I missing something?

You need to
use a lever to ring a bell, which makes the g-g-ghost ship cruise in. Then it'll dock at one of the piers near the sorcery guy.

So It looks like maybe I can't summon because I'm in the champions covenant.....
I just joined it because I came across that stone. How was I supposed to know : p

I'm being told that's why the game has been so damned hard until now, because I joined it right away and have been getting my ass kicked.

fuuuuuuuck

I definitely agree. A few seemed designed to have three players. I'm helping people with
the Skeleton Lords
. With one person only it's a really tough fight. With two, sometimes it goes sideways. With three it's pretty easy unless the players are stupid.

Similar with
the Ruined Sentinels
. Beating them solo is really hard.
Skeleton lords is really easy solo if you take out one of them at a time and then focus on the minions. If y opp u try to take them all out one after the other it just becomes a giant clusterfuck.

MrDaravon

Was stupid and decided to go in and fight what was obviously going to be a boss inside
the pirate(?) ship at No-Man's Wharf
with a bunch of souls. On my first attempt I got him literally down to one hit from dying and then he went apeshit on me and killed me.

Then I got killed by random trash mobs on my way back. fuuuuuuuuuuu

Still can't decide how I feel about enemies not respawning forever. I haven't hit a wall yet or anything, but I have completely cleared several zones of enemies, and I have a constant fear in the back of my mind of hitting a wall because of that and it makes me nervous.

d00d3n

I don't know what's wrong with me. After beating
The Old One
, I went straight for
The Pursuer
. I was still a very low-level character (below 25 SL) and he kicked my ass at least 20 times! I had to use 2 human effigies finally.
Two because during the first battle one of the summoned phantoms shot the ballista at me and insta-killed me.
I may have to farm a lot more to get my SL up high, otherwise I'm going to have a hard time with this game. I was going to go to
The Lost Bastille, but I think I'll go to Heide's Tower of Flame
. Doing a Dex/Int character FYI (I really want to try Hex, but don't want to waste a lot of stats on FAI).

I had a lot of trouble with the boss that you mention. Tried to beat him at 50% health, which meant that just a couple of blows took me down. I finally decided to try the ballista (assumed it was very random and near impossible), and killed him on the first attempt. Stand in the path of the ballista when you enter the area and then let him charge you. Dodge the charge and run to the ballista. Shoot with x. One additional blow finishes him off. I might have been lucky, but it honestly happened the first time I tried it.

LProtag

So It looks like maybe I can't summon because I'm in the champions covenant.....
I just joined it because I came across that stone. How was I supposed to know : p

I'm being told that's why the game has been so damned hard until now, because I joined it right away and have been getting my ass kicked.

fuuuuuuuck

Yeah, dude, it makes everything harder.

Abandon the covenant if you want to do co-op and want the game to be regular difficulty. There's no penalty for it.

In
Earthen Peak
, is it possible to get up the stairs in the same room as the first boss (the big fat creature)? You can run and jump up midway, but I'm like 2 inches from getting on the actual stairs. Not sure if I'm wasting time here or not, lol.

Ultrabum

I just finished the game.

I loved the game, it was great in many ways.

I did not enjoy the lack of direction. I spent like 25% of my play through just looking for the next place to go... Maybe there were hints that I missed, but hiding required areas just seems silly to me.

Also, (second to last area/boss spoiler)
I think it is dumb that you have to join the ancient dragons to progress the game, I spent like 5 hours clearing and dieing to the ancient dragon, usually within 30 second of entering the area, so I looked up a guide and saw it friendly... stupid.

Nose Master

Got a really weird glitch last night. Was farting around in Iron Keep, and got surprised by a
mimic
. Did the standard walking backwards to avoid the attacks and swinging, and I ended up blocking one of the strikes. It sent me propelling back like I was running full speed backwards for about 200 feet, facing the mob the entire time. I just kept flying backwards until I went up and out of a door clear across a few hallways and doors and fell to my death.

Anybody know what the item is
laying on the tree trunk in the scorpion bossfight, i missed it.

It was something not great, like one of those firefly matches for your torch or something.

Yeah, dude, it makes everything harder.

Abandon the covenant if you want to do co-op and want the game to be regular difficulty. There's no penalty for it.

Had no idea : (
I'm in the way of blue now.

I still can't seem to leave a soul sign or find someone to summon. I've been getting beaten down by the by the 'triple' boss fight

edit: THERE we go!
Damn, I 've been wondering what's wrong. Game ws too hard and I could onnly play alone :p

In
Earthen Peak
, is it possible to get up the stairs in the same room as the first boss (the big fat creature)? You can run and jump up midway, but I'm like 2 inches from getting on the actual stairs. Not sure if I'm wasting time here or not, lol.

I haven't managed it. I'm sure it's just there to tease us. Saw a few messages around it saying "impossible".

Kusagari

I definitely agree. A few seemed designed to have three players. I'm helping people with
the Skeleton Lords
. With one person only it's a really tough fight. With two, sometimes it goes sideways. With three it's pretty easy unless the players are stupid.

Similar with
the Ruined Sentinels
. Beating them solo is really hard.

The Skeleton Lords
really? I thought they were one of the easiest in the game. The main three go down fast as hell melee and you can easily run around the large area to recover health if needed

So do I have to be really careful about using titanite shards? Even the low level ones? Or can I mess around leveling up a couple of weapons early on?

Ghazi

Just beat
The Lost Sinner and the Old Dragonslayer
. I wasted
My Fragment Branch of Yore
at that bonfire in
Lost Bastille
when I wanted to use it on
the lady at Majula.

I can't figure out where to go now.

Sullichin

I did not enjoy the lack of direction. I spent like 25% of my play through just looking for the next place to go... Maybe there were hints that I missed, but hiding required areas just seems silly to me.

I think it is dumb that you have to join the ancient dragons to progress the game, I spent like 5 hours clearing and dieing to the ancient dragon, usually within 30 second of entering the area, so I looked up a guide and saw it friendly... stupid.

what do you mean join the ancient dragons? I didn't do that. He just started talking when I walked into that room and I got an item. I didn't try fighting him.
I didn't use a guide, and I was really confused as to where to go sometimes. The end game seems to last forever. I figured it out eventually, but I feel like I stumbled upon some later bosses by accident. I'm not even sure what I did to progress in the last parts of the game to recreate it on my next character.

Had no idea : (
I'm in the way of blue now.

I still can't seem to leave a soul sign or find someone to summon. I've been getting beaten down by the by the 'triple' boss fight

edit: THERE we go!
Damn, I 've been wondering what's wrong. Game ws too hard and I could onnly play alone :p

Welcome to the club. I leveld so much just because everything was too hard. Then I left and boom, progress!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

you don't need to do that... at all

Mentok

Banned
I had a lot of trouble with the boss that you mention. Tried to beat him at 50% health, which meant that just a couple of blows took me down. I finally decided to try the ballista (assumed it was very random and near impossible), and killed him on the first attempt. Stand in the path of the ballista when you enter the area and then let him charge you. Dodge the charge and run to the ballista. Shoot with x. One additional blow finishes him off. I might have been lucky, but it honestly happened the first time I tried it.

Hmm, never considered dodging towards the ballista. I just assumed I wouldn't have enough time. Either way, I hated having to summon (I always try to solo bosses), but I just wanted to move on hahaha. From what I gather, I'm in for a lot tougher bosses....oh boy.

Mutombo

Just found out, in a very complicated way...

After fighting the dragon rider, speak to the priestess then go back to majula and go down to path that goes to heide's tower.

I still have no idea. I'm talking to the priestess but I don't really have to give 2000 souls? How do I get her to open shit, and where do I go?

Jeb

Guys, I'm avoiding adaptability because leveling up dexterity made me look like a fool in Dark Souls 1, when people showed me it was better to buff up all the other stats and get better armor.
Am I making a mistake here?

Soriku

OK I must be dumb because I've explored Lost Bastille from various ways now and I can't find the Ruin Sentinels at all.

Edit: Nvm I'm blind lol.

Welcome to the club. I leveld so much just because everything was too hard. Then I left and boom, progress!
Seriously, it's night and day. I thought this was just the hardest souls game. I summoned help and killed that boss easy and I'm killing everything fine. I would have leveled more I've been losing too many souls

the Skeleton Lords

Found this fight super daunting at first, but once you figure out the trick it becomes trivial.

Kill one Lord at a time, deal with their offspring, then kill another Lord, rinse and repeat while saving the middle Lord for last as he spawns Bonewheel Skeletons.

Incidentally I feel Bonewheel skeletons are severely nerfed in this game, or perhaps just for that fight.

Fhtagn

Agility is def worthwhile for the speed increase to drinking your flask and consuming life gems. I have ADP at 30 after respeccing down from 38 and even that's been noticeably slower. Luckily it also scales up with Attunement so I'm getting some more there now that I care about spells.

spliced

I was in Doors of Pharos and I got summoned without putting a summon sign down and I'm thinking wth is going on. When I spawn I look around for the host but can't find him but I do have enemies trying to attack me so I figure oh I guess I'm supposed to help the host. So I go about looking for the host and killing enemies along the way into areas I hadn't even been to in my game. Then suddenly something attacks and kills me from behind, it was the host. Apparently I wasn't there to help the host after all lol.

Then a bit later it happens again only this time I'm thinking I'll try to use the enemies to my advantage, unfortunately for me the enemies only go after me I soon realized. It was a good old fashioned forest ganking, only this time with enemies.

Ah the joys of a blind playthrough.

Riddler

How are you guys beating the game so fast! Does it speed up after SL75?

About the bolded I think that is one of the Souls series strengths. It's a adventure of exploration so getting lost and tring new paths maybe not continuing the story but a fun side adventure is part of the experience.

After being abused by them, I've joined the asshole bellbro covenant

The reward is too good >_<

It really is about the reward but maybe send each kill a "gg" msg

Mentok

Banned
OK I must be dumb because I've explored Lost Bastille from various ways now and I can't find the Ruin Sentinels at all.

From Steady Hand McDuff's bonfire, run up the path. Before you reach the tower (where you meet Lucetiel) you'll see some ruined stone that you can walk up that takes you onto a platform. Go through the door and you'll face a ton of two-handed sword soldiers, from this room you really can't miss the path to the Ruin Sentinels.

Woah woah woah what was that?!?!? Iron Keep...

I beat the smelter boss, went back to do a few things in the game, then came back to that bonfire. I decided I wanted to help people with the boss so I ran through the boss area and when I did some black smoke appeared in the center. A black pursuer emerged and started to fight me. He had a ton of health. But then after some time he disappeared before I could kill him. WTF!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom