• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigal

Banned
On the bridge to Sinner's Rise from Lost Bastille, there are items below on the left and right that I cannot figure out how to get to. They're right below where you walk out onto the bridge coming from Bastille on ledges on both sides. Anyone wanna help a brother out?

Ahasverus

Just run through them all. I only killed them the first time for the items. You can also step again on the elevator thing when you reach the bottom so you can easily take it the next time you go through.

If I have to kill them I will have to use 2 or so estus flasks which I really need for sinner :l
It's kinda tedious the 12th time :S And the sinner doesn't let me take any item, it's kinda cheap.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Watching the Ela stream and apparently the game has already been speedran at about 2h ish? That's insane that they managed this so quick. He's at everyone's favorite part now, getting rekt

So if I want to be summoned for a particular boss fight, that boss must be alive in my game? I know it was like this in DS1, I have not yet used the white soapstone in DS2.

Also, what's the difference between the large and small white soapstone? Thanks.

I'm not sure they're saying that so much as they're making the game more difficult for people like yourself who choose not to play online. I mean, you're contributing on this thread, so the communal help is already somewhat relevant. If you choose not to play online, totally fine - just know that your decisions will reverberate even further than they might if you were able to play cooperatively. Playing offline might be the game's true hard mode. :-D
I'd play online but the #1 thing I enjoy about Souls is the exploration. I don't want every single secret in the game ruined by a floor of orange messages left by people who think they're the first person to have thought of "amazing chest ahead". Maybe I'll just login for the bosses if I need help.

Fhtagn

so, I respec'ed to be a str/int spellsword... or spellmace as it may be, and I have a couple questions.

I'm still leaning heavily on my fire long sword +10 and magic mace +8, but before I waste a bunch of large shards upgrading the basic staff I bought from the first sorcery dealer, I want to know if there's a staff that scales better with INT that I should be looking for at what I think is mid game:
I have two of the special souls so far, and am currently in the Iron Keep

Also does the INT gained from
the int boosting ring
act like your INT was naturally that high or is it just for meeting the requirement to cast? Because
adding 5 int to my character with the ring only made my great soul arrow do 1 more point of damage when cast with the basic staff+3.
My natural INT is 20, I think.

So if I want to be summoned for a particular boss fight, that boss must be alive in my game? I know it was like this in DS1, I have not yet used the white soapstone in DS2.

Also, what's the difference between the large and small white soapstone? Thanks.

No, it uses the mechanics of the host world. The larger stone allows you to stay summoned longer.

Nope. You can still be summoned to fight a boss you've already defeated.

I think the small soap stone gives the phantom less time to help you. There really is no reason to use the small soapstone.

Fhtagn

It wasn't like that in DS1. The boss had to be alive for you to summon but I def returned the favor to people who helped me by then being summoned by them. It's the same here.

Small soapstone allows you to assist for a shorter time and gives you a different reward than the large one. Both rewards are useful so you might still choose the smaller soapstone later in the game.

Garcia

Had to abandon the dual wielding path once I found my glorious Zweihander. I often switch between dual and single. The new Zwei animations are great.

Fhtagn

oh yeah, and if you've already cleared out the bottom of the well by careful jumping, is there a reason to
buy the ladders? each, or just the most expensive?
? Yes/No only please. thanks.

Fhtagn

so are you guys having as much fun with this as with the first game?

it's different, because I have 400+ hours of souls under my belt so I play differently now, but yes, absolutely. It seems like this game isn't as front loaded with the good stuff; the deeper I get in, the more I like it, and I liked the start plenty.

oh yeah, and if you've already cleared out the bottom of the well by careful jumping, is there a reason to
buy the ladders? each, or just the most expensive?
? Yes/No only please. thanks.

Yes.

Buy the most expensive one then talk to Gilligan. You'll get a trophy/achievement then he'll give you a special scimitar/rapier (can't remember which).

Apdiddy

Just got past the
Pursuer
and I'm amazed how effective
using the ballistas are in the battle when you have three people total. It's almost unfair to fight against him. The ballistas take a good 300+ HP from him while he's busy attacking another guy.

Now onto
Heide's Tower of Flame.

I don't like the combat as much as Dark Souls, but the world design is a lot better.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
it's different, because I have 400+ hours of souls under my belt so I play differently now, but yes, absolutely. It seems like this game isn't as front loaded with the good stuff; the deeper I get in, the more I like it, and I liked the start plenty.

Yep, this is my impression as well. I'd say that most of the late game areas are just as good as the early ones, sometimes even better. There's no post Anor Londo drop off in this game... and it's bigger than DkS I as well. So that's impressive.

All this talk about adaptability not mattering is really making me wonder. As the game progressed I got much better at dodging attacks but was absolutely horrible at it in the beginning. I'm now wondering if this is due to experience or my 38 ADP.

Clevinger

Just got past the
Pursuer
using the ballistas are in the battle when you have three people total. It's almost unfair to fight against him. The ballistas take a good 300+ HP from him while he's busy attacking another guy.

I helped people in co-op three times with that fight and
hilariously every time either the host or the other phantom would use a ballista they'd kill the other person.

Mentok

Banned
I don't know what's wrong with me. After beating
The Old One
, I went straight for
The Pursuer
. I was still a very low-level character (below 25 SL) and he kicked my ass at least 20 times! I had to use 2 human effigies finally.
Two because during the first battle one of the summoned phantoms shot the ballista at me and insta-killed me.
I may have to farm a lot more to get my SL up high, otherwise I'm going to have a hard time with this game. I was going to go to
The Lost Bastille, but I think I'll go to Heide's Tower of Flame
. Doing a Dex/Int character FYI (I really want to try Hex, but don't want to waste a lot of stats on FAI).

Okay so I'm in
Deadman's Wharf
and I kind of have no idea what to do now.
I got to the end with like 2 piers, one with an old man who I guess teaches spells and another with just nothing at the end. Am I missing something?

Maybesew

Just got past the
Pursuer

Now onto
Heide's Tower of Flame.

I don't like the combat as much as Dark Souls, but the world design is a lot better.

It's easy solo too
parry him in front of the ballista and you can one shot him

Ferr986

I felt like bumping ADP helped me block earlier after I attack. When I started the game I was eating hits while raising my shield, and after putting some levels on ADP it got better. But maybe its just a "placebo" effect and I just sucked lol

Guevara

It seems like bosses are now harder to solo than DS1 hmm...

I definitely agree. A few seemed designed to have three players. I'm helping people with
the Skeleton Lords
. With one person only it's a really tough fight. With two, sometimes it goes sideways. With three it's pretty easy unless the players are stupid.

Similar with
the Ruined Sentinels
. Beating them solo is really hard.

RyanDG

Okay so I'm in
Deadman's Wharf
I got to the end with like 2 piers, one with an old man who I guess teaches spells and another with just nothing at the end. Am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing something. Look around a bit. If you want more...

There's a bell on the top level that will bring the ship in.

d00d3n

Is it beneficial in some way for a non-mage character to raise int to 10 in order to be able to talk to the mage in
No-mans Wharf
(earlty game area)? Does the character move to Manjula? (would be a small reward for me, I like filling up the town with npcs ...) Any quests that require starting to talk to him?

(I am about level 60, and int is only 5, so it will be expensive to raise the stat)

Okay so I'm in
Deadman's Wharf

There is a switch you are missing that summons a ship.

Its all the way up top right

Mentok

Banned
It's easy solo too
parry him in front of the ballista and you can one shot him

I tried that, but
I just couldn't get the timing of the parry down. I feel like they changed it from DS because I'd never have a problem parrying. It's like there's a little delay? Or is it just me?

Randam

Okay so I'm in
Deadman's Wharf

at the highest point somewhere, there is a device you can use.
missed it the first time too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom