• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in Doors of Pharos and I got summoned without putting a summon sign down and I'm thinking wth is going on. When I spawn I look around for the host but can't find him but I do have enemies trying to attack me so I figure oh I guess I'm supposed to help the host. So I go about looking for the host and killing enemies along the way into areas I hadn't even been to in my game. Then suddenly something attacks and kills me from behind, it was the host. Apparently I wasn't there to help the host after all lol.

Then a bit later it happens again only this time I'm thinking I'll try to use the enemies to my advantage, unfortunately for me the enemies only go after me I soon realized. It was a good old fashioned forest ganking, only this time with enemies.

Ah the joys of a blind playthrough.

Yup. I got 35 easy player kills in that area.

It was funny seeing some of the players reactions when they realized what was going on. I could tell the ones that were stumbling in for thier first time.

I think I only got killed 5 times in there. It's heavily stacked against the grey summon.

Woah woah woah what was that?!?!? Iron Keep...

I beat the smelter boss, went back to do a few things in the game, then came back to that bonfire. I decided I wanted to help people with the boss so I ran through the boss area and when I did some black smoke appeared in the center. A black pursuer emerged and started to fight me. He had a ton of health. But then after some time he disappeared before I could kill him. WTF!?

I killed him. Got a +1 ring of blades out of it.

Does anybody know how to get the two statues next to the first Drangliec Castle bonfire to light up, and what do they do? (The one in the room with the doors and the sentinels)

Ultrabum

How are you guys beating the game so fast! Does it speed up after SL75?

About the bolded I think that is one of the Souls series strengths. It's a adventure of exploration so getting lost and trying new paths maybe not continuing the story but a fun side adventure is part of the experience.

My play-through took
59 hours

I love exploring new areas. Its going to back to literally every single area and checking every nook and cranny to find something that is now open that I disliked. Especially with no hints to go back to said areas.

I mean, the stuff was not that hidden, it was just tedious to re-run through every level, kinda dulled down the epic conclusion for me.

I also disliked (early-mid game spoilers)
Having to talk to the miracle NPC a bunch of times to open Huntsman's corpse, I talked to her and thought I had exhausted her dialog, and left. So I was stuck looking for that forever.

I dunno, its like in dark souls 1, you ring both bells, then u see sens fortress open up to you. That is an awesome scene the first time around. Here in dark souls 2 you (endgame game spoilers)
get a ring that opens doors, you don't know how many, it doesn't remind you where they are. Then you get some white shit from the dragon and it doesn't tell you where to go either.

I have lit three primal bonfires.
The Lost Sinner, Duke's Dear Freja and The Rotten
Where the heck do I go now? Out of ideas.

I got stuck at the exact same point for a long time!

You have to go back and talk to the npc that sells miricales. It's the only way to advance the world any further.

Look at the second spoiler in the post above me. He is complaining about the exact same thing.

so whats a good strength weapon that isnt slow as shit? Im tired of using the ultra greatsword, the recovery is too slow. I want to use the claymore but the scaling is only c for strength.

traveler

Not Wario
Exhausting dialogue options for npcs in the Souls series is pretty much always a good idea.

so whats a good strength weapon that isnt slow as shit? Im tired of using the ultra greatsword, the recovery is too slow. I want to use the claymore but the scaling is only c for strength.

Mace is what I've been using pretty much all game. (Non-great) axes are also fairly quick.

Damn it I missed another NPC phantom help. These are hard to find and some effect storylines. I feel like I need a damn guide just to not miss them.

void666

Banned
Pvp is such bullshit. Got invaded. I was kicking his ass. Another player invaded. I got killed. So far every pvp fight was like this. Unfair.
I wish i could stop all kinds of invasion without playing offline.

So I got the
greatsword, which looks awesome, in no mans wharf
, is this a worthy "main" weapon, or are there better ones that look similar that are much better?

Pvp is such bullshit. Got invaded. I was kicking his ass. Another player invaded. I got killed. So far every pvp fight was like this. Unfair.

PvP for me has been fantastic. There are so many ways to simply set up a duel that the fights are usually fair.

traveler

Not Wario

Burning a human effigy will drop your priority, but I'm not sure how strong the effect is. You can also use seeds of giants (I think that's what they're called?) to repel invaders. (small spoiler related to acquiring the seeds)
Every time you get invaded, the giant tree near the dead end bonfire in the Forest of the Fallen Giants has a small chance to produce a seed
Lastly, joining the way of blue by talking to the crestfallen guy at Majula can help even the odds by giving you a chance to summon allies each time you get invaded.

Early game, but... in forest of giants
how to I get to the bottom of the fire pit where we can see the basilisk
?

There's a few ways but the easiest would be to get the silver cat ring and jump down from one of the far ends of the walkway on to a pile of debris in the pit. Those llzards are pretty tough though but there's two rings down there! ;)

PvP for me has been fantastic. There are so many ways to simply set up a duel that the fights are usually fair.

Agree this is BY FAR the best souls game for pvp.

Also maybe its just because it is new. But I see far more interesting builds and strategies being used by players in this version.

Prototype

Things have been fine for me since I've lowered my adp from 30 to 15. No real difference that I can notice. Went through
Drangleic Castle
no problem, boss and all.

@Ultrabum, I agree with you, I've spent a fair bit of my play time figuring out where to go and what to do. Never had that problem in DS. There is definitely less direction in this game then the 1st one. Felt like the 1st game guided you more. That said, I'm not sure it's a bad thing. It's like, you're in a new land, shit is fucked, survive. lol. I kind of like it.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
what do you mean join the ancient dragons? I didn't do that. He just started talking when I walked into that room and I got an item. I didn't try fighting him.
I didn't use a guide, and I was really confused as to where to go sometimes. The end game seems to last forever. I figured it out eventually, but I feel like I stumbled upon some later bosses by accident. I'm not even sure what I did to progress in the last parts of the game to recreate it on my next character.

I had more than a few "... huh?" moments while stumbling blindly through the game's final act. Luckily
I'd made sure to remember all the big doors I'd seen throughout the game since I had a strong suspicion I'd need to come back to them eventually. Also got lucky that I'd found all three over the course of the game so I just doubled back to them.

It is structured a bit oddly.
The setup seemed to be identical to the end of Dark Souls with the multiple areas opening up, but unlike the first game it actually matters what order you tackle them in. I ended up hitting them in entirely the wrong order, going to the Throne of Want and fighting the Throne Watcher and Throne Defender first and getting confused, then going and finding the dead giant tree and getting the "Alas, nothing happens" dialogue box, and only then opening the door that would lead to the Dragon Shrine.

I'm really curious about a couple of the bosses near the end, though.
I wonder what happens if you do the Dragon Shrine and the fight with the Giant Lord before ever going to the Throne of Want first. Do you just fight Nashandra there, or do you still have to fight the Throne Watcher and Throne Defender first? I'm pretty much wondering if the Watcher and Defender are optional.

ow that thing... thanks

There's another thing, too.
In the Shrine of Amana there's an altar that will restore your humanity if you're hollow and don't have any Human Effigies. You need to encounter the three Milfanitos then go through a door above the final Amana bonfire while hollowed. You'll find the final Milfanito and the shrine through there. It's an endlessly reusable way to become human.

Truant

So if you think you're doing bad, consider this:

I spent all my early effigies at a bonfire because I thought that was the way to turn human. I figured you had to use a lot of them to gradually reverse the hollowing. I did the first two bosses with 50% health because of this. The agony :(

I feel dumb.

traveler

Not Wario
Need some help getting somewhere midgameish. Where's the entrance to the
Undead Purgatory?

Go to the second bonfire in Huntsman's Copse, then turn right out the door. Look for an upper bridge on the right as you cross into the glade with the poison bugs above. If you run into a bunch of those executioner type enemies carrying either a polearm with a circular end or a whip, you know you're going the right way. Follow it across the big bridge above where the second bonfire was. You'll see a coliseum like structure ahead- that's the purgatory.

Enjoy. The fight there is maybe my favorite in the game thus far.

Agree this is BY FAR the best souls game for pvp.

Also maybe its just because it is new. But I see far more interesting builds and strategies being used by players in this version.

Yes! There are so many interesting tactics, the magic makes for some crazy battles. People can set mines, there are posion clouds, all sorts of ranged attacks and of course the usual melee tactics. No stupid glitches ruining every fight. Its been fantastic.

E92 M3

So if you think you're doing bad, consider this:

I spent all my early effigies at a bonfire because I thought that was the way to turn human. I figured you had to use a lot of them to gradually reverse the hollowing. I did the first two bosses with 50% health because of this. The agony :(

I feel dumb.

I thought they do turn you human?

Anyone else feel like the controls are clunky. The first one felt smooth and I had full control. Now, it seems laggy. Something a little off.

Is it just me or are boss soul weapons really underwhelming compared to previous games? I'll still end up getting them for the completionist in me, but so far they seem really mediocre.

KorrZ

Wow the (Weapon/Covenant)
Sun Sword is the real fucking deal! So happy I grinded out those 20 co-op sessions to get this thing. It has the 1H R2 thrust attack! and A scaling in both Str and Dex at +10..literally the perfect weapon for me

LProtag

Should I not be
trying to kill the Old Iron Lord second out of all the great soul owners? Everyone seems to do him last, so should I take off somewhere else?

Persona7

Banned
I thought they do turn you human?

Anyone else feel like the controls are clunky. The first one felt smooth and I had full control. Now, it seems laggy. Something a little off.

If you burn them at a bonfire it just turns on offline mode so you can't be invaded.

Prototype

Is it just me or are boss soul weapons really underwhelming compared to previous games? I'll still end up getting them for the completionist in me, but so far they seem really mediocre.

so far ya, I made the
pursuers great sword
and so far it doesn't compare to the great sword I have. Also the fact that it needs
petrified dragon bone
to upgrade it and those have been pretty rare thus far.

Filth

Question: I'm a great sword user and I basically have my sword +10 with dark magic imbued in it. I'm saving my souls cause I want to be able to buff my weapon with some magic. My question is where can I find that scroll to buy and will it stack with my dark weapon?

Covenant question:
How do you rank up in the Brotherhood of Blood? I have like 20 tokens of spite now but can't seem to do anything with them but duel. They're also not consumed when I go to the duel arena, so what is their use?

Alucrid

Banned
Go to the second bonfire in Huntsman's Copse, then turn right out the door. Look for an upper bridge on the right as you cross into the glade with the poison bugs above. If you run into a bunch of those executioner type enemies carrying either a polearm with a circular end or a whip, you know you're going the right way. Follow it across the big bridge above where the second bonfire was. You'll see a coliseum like structure ahead- that's the purgatory.

Enjoy. The fight there is maybe my favorite in the game thus far.

Ahh, thanks. Not sure how I missed that my first time through

Feeling the same way so far. I'm basically saving my boss souls to crunch later.

Covenant question:
How do you rank up in the Brotherhood of Blood? I have like 20 tokens of spite now but can't seem to do anything with them but duel. They're also not consumed when I go to the duel arena, so what is their use?
I have the same question about Blue Sentinels. I see the covenant has a rank but I see no way to raise it.

squadr0n

Question about summoning and being summoned. When does a player get their humanity restored in Dark Souls II during coop? Ive helped with bosses that I havent done yet and bosses that ive already done and neither times was my humanity restored. What am i doing wrong and how do I restore humanity without human effigy? Ive heard you can get human effigies by dueling other players but what method of invading do you do to get the human effigy?

Question about summoning and being summoned. When does a player get their humanity restored in Dark Souls II during coop? Ive helped with bosses that I havent done yet and bosses that ive already done and neither times was my humanity restored. What am i doing wrong and how do I restore humanity without human effigy? Ive heard you can get human effigies by dueling other players but what method of invading do you do to get the human effigy?

It's a random bug, by all accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom