• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feeling the same way so far. I'm basically saving my boss souls to crunch later.

I have the same question about Blue Sentinels. I see the covenant has a rank but I see no way to raise it.

Its based on number if kills. I know for blue sentinel it it stupidity high. Like 50 for rank 1 and 500 kills for max rank

Sullichin

I had more than a few "... huh?" moments while stumbling blindly through the game's final act. Luckily
I'd made sure to remember all the big doors I'd seen throughout the game since I had a strong suspicion I'd need to come back to them eventually. Also got lucky that I'd found all three over the course of the game so I just doubled back to them.

It is structured a bit oddly.
The setup seemed to be identical to the end of Dark Souls with the multiple areas opening up, but unlike the first game it actually matters what order you tackle them in. I ended up hitting them in entirely the wrong order, going to the Throne of Want and fighting the Throne Watcher and Throne Defender first and getting confused, then going and finding the dead giant tree and getting the "Alas, nothing happens" dialogue box, and only then opening the door that would lead to the Dragon Shrine.

I'm really curious about a couple of the bosses near the end, though.
I wonder what happens if you do the Dragon Shrine and the fight with the Giant Lord before ever going to the Throne of Want first. Do you just fight Nashandra there, or do you still have to fight the Throne Watcher and Throne Defender first? I'm pretty much wondering if the Watcher and Defender are optional.

There's another thing, too.
In the Shrine of Amana there's an altar that will restore your humanity if you're hollow and don't have any Human Effigies. You need to encounter the three Milfanitos then go through a door above the final Amana bonfire while hollowed. You'll find the final Milfanito and the shrine through there. It's an endlessly reusable way to become human.

So this only works if you don't have any effigies in your inventory? Cause it doesn't do anything for me.

And the same thing happened to me with that boss fight.

Nose Master

Pvp is such bullshit. Got invaded. I was kicking his ass. Another player invaded. I got killed. So far every pvp fight was like this. Unfair.
I wish i could stop all kinds of invasion without playing offline.

The invaders are such wimps, too. 99% of them will immediately run off to mobs / run around until another invader spawns, and then try to fight you.

Needham

Does anybody know how to get the two statues next to the first Drangliec Castle bonfire to light up, and what do they do? (The one in the room with the doors and the sentinels)

draw the enemies toward the statues and kill them in front of the statue. Their souls will go to the statue instead of you and activate them. They'll open the door for you.

Ghazi

I'm so tired of
Luna's Belfry
, what a stupid place.

I get invaded by two people every time I go there, along with the
OP gnome things
that don't flinch at all and have tons of health. Not to mention, you can summon people to help you, so broken.

Birathen

I hate that
Chariot
.. So.. Effin.. Much. Not coz its hard.. No, I have carried 3 or 4 people through that area. But when I try it myself, I die. Horribly. For the stupidest reasons. Haste, careless, falling of a bridge. Im so angry right now! Aaauuugha!

I hate that
Chariot
.. So.. Effin.. Much. Not coz its hard.. No, I have carried 3 or 4 people through that area. But when I try it myself, I die. Horribly. For the stupidest reasons. Haste, careless, falling of a bridge. Im so angry right now! Aaauuugha!

Wouldn't think summoning would help terribly much for that fight.

Booshka

Found a pretty good early-mid game Large Shard farming run.
Black Gulch
has a pretty quick and reliable farm. Start at the
Hidden Chamber
bonfire and run your way back up the level killing the enemies that pop out of the ground. The
poison statues
don't hit you as much because you are going through the level backwards.

With the Traveling Merchant hat I would say the Large shard drop is about 25%. I've also gotten a couple Titanite Chunks as well in about 7 or so runs.

Sullichin

I'm so tired of
Luna's Belfry
, what a stupid place.

OP gnome things
that don't flinch at all and have tons of health. Not to mention, you can summon people to help you, so broken.
Totally optional for what it's worth, I've beaten the game and I've only been to that bell tower as a phantom.

I'm so tired of
Luna's Belfry
, what a stupid place.

OP gnome things

You realize you can just run past them all right? If a some one invades you can still pass through the white mist to exit.

I basiclly only pvp there when I want to be pvped.

I'm so tired of
Luna's Belfry
, what a stupid place.

OP gnome things
Does burning an effigy work there??

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm so tired of
Luna's Belfry
, what a stupid place.

OP gnome things

I am right now waiting for you.

Come.

Ghazi

Totally optional for what it's worth, I've beaten the game and I've only been to that bell tower as a phantom.

An optional place that has you outnumbered 15 to 1... who thought this was a good idea?

I just killed an invader, and as I bow someone else invades me. Seriously, they need to tone it down, it's impossible to do anything there without just getting ganked by everyone. I even
joined the covenant there, hoping for it to stop, but no. You get invaded by your own covenant.

You realize you can just run past them all right? If a some one invades you can still pass through the white mist to exit.

I basiclly only pvp there when I want to be pvped.

I haven't fought the boss there yet, but after what I've dealt with the normal and invader enemies, I'm not going in there until I've summoned someone, and you can't even do that without getting killed.

Does burning an effigy work there??
That's my last resort, but I'm sure the boss there (whatever it is) is going to be super hard, so I want to summon someone.

Also, I may have wasted all my human effegies trying to get to the top and summon people.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
An optional place that has you outnumbered 15 to 1... who thought this was a good idea?

I just killed an invader, and as I bow someone else invades me. Seriously, they need to tone it down, it's impossible to do anything there without just getting ganked by everyone. I even
joined the covenant there, hoping for it to stop, but no. You get invaded by your own covenant.
Just exhaust the 10 time spawn limit on the gnomes, once you opened the boss door, you can just run through to the door, not bothering with the phantoms.

Its really not a big deal because the area is really short.

Ghazi

Just exhaust the 10 time spawn limit on the gnomes, once you opened the boss door, you can just run through to the door, not bothering with the phantoms.

Its really not a big deal because the area is really short.

I guess I'll just go try the boss, then. *sigh*

Toma

I guess I'll just go try the boss, then. *sigh*

Good luck, I did the boss on my 2nd or 3rd try, its not THAT hard, just dont wait around too much :)
If its any consolation to you, I am soon done with the bellkeeper covenant at least :p One less invading phantom!

Jeb

I apologize if I'm being an annoyance by repeating myself,but I really want to know.
Is adaptability more useful in here than Dexterity was in Dark Souls?
If so, by how much compared to other skills?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Should I do the boss of Belfrey Luna or Sinner's Rise first? I am stuck on both, but the Belfrey Luna seems way harder.

so far ya, I made the
pursuers great sword
and so far it doesn't compare to the great sword I have. Also the fact that it needs
petrified dragon bone
to upgrade it and those have been pretty rare thus far.

only good thing is the bow and maybe the greatshield.

Feeling the same way so far. I'm basically saving my boss souls to crunch later.

I have the same question about Blue Sentinels. I see the covenant has a rank but I see no way to raise it.

Bummer, the ornstein's spear was one of my favorite weapons in the first dark souls. Man I love the sunlight covenant, hurling lightning and praising the sun, so much fun.

zashga

Should I not be
trying to kill the Old Iron Lord second out of all the great soul owners? Everyone seems to do him last, so should I take off somewhere else?

I beat him second.
He's kinda like Iron Golem in that you shouldn't use lock on and the primary challenge is the tiny death trap platform you fight him on. He's harder than Iron Golem, though, since pretty much any hit has a pretty good chance of knocking you off. Coop also seems counterproductive since your phantom(s) are unlikely to survive long enough to offset his extra HP and defense.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Wouldn't think summoning would help terribly much for that fight.

Help much? No. Amuse much? Yes.
Only two people can fit into a single alcove to avoid the chariot. If you summon two phantoms and all three of you try to take shelter in the same place one of you is getting run over.

Just try to have the presence of mind to use the wave emote to say goodbye to the poor third wheel when that happens.

Or the begging emote if the poor sod is you.

So this only works if you don't have any effigies in your inventory? Cause it doesn't do anything for me.

And the same thing happened to me with that boss fight.

Yeah, it's more of an option of last resort. But it's an endlessly reusable way to become human. Handy.

Ghazi

Good luck, I did the boss on my 2nd or 3rd try, its not THAT hard, just dont wait around too much :)

A) I got invaded again and lost a ton of health before I even made it to the boss fight.

B) LOL
A 3v1 against the gargoyle's? 2 was good enough, with three they're all just swinging and shooting fire at different times.
I see what you meant though, haha. I just don't do enough damage to not waste time.

Yeah, I've been stuck here the past 2 days, I'm done with this section.

edit: wut
You start off facing two at the same time, and then the third spawns not even 30 seconds afterwards?[/SPOILER}

How did you even pull that off Toma?

Sullichin

I'm really curious about a couple of the bosses near the end, though.
I wonder what happens if you do the Dragon Shrine and the fight with the Giant Lord before ever going to the Throne of Want first. Do you just fight Nashandra there, or do you still have to fight the Throne Watcher and Throne Defender first? I'm pretty much wondering if the Watcher and Defender are optional.

Just found out the answer to this after doing co-op at
Throne of Want
for a while. Got summoned and we fought
The Throne Watcher / Defender, and then afterwards Nashandra. So if you don't fight them separately, you have to fight them back to back!
That's kinda cool.

Toma

Should I do the boss of Belfrey Luna or Sinner's Rise first? I am stuck on both, but the Belfrey Luna seems way harder.

You having issues with the Belfry level or the bosses? I found the Belfry boss relatively easy, and as I just said, you can just run through to the door instead of dealing with the enemies.

Toma

A) I got invaded again and lost a ton of health before I even made it to the boss fight.

B) LOL
A 3v1 against the gargoyle's? 2 was good enough, with three they're all just swinging and shooting fire at different times.
I see what you meant though, haha. I just don't do enough damage to not waste time.

Dont worry, the section is super optional anyway. You dont get terribly much from it.

Ghazi

Dont worry, the section is super optional anyway. You dont get terribly much from it.

Oh well, I only went back to
Luna's Belfry
because I couldn't figure out where to go after
The Lost Sinner
. Guess it's back to looking.

Toma

Oh well, I only went back to
Luna's Belfry
because I couldn't figure out where to go after
The Lost Sinner
. Guess it's back to looking.

If you want to know where you can progress, get
the 14k ring from the cat merchant in Majula and jump down the well with full health.

Mupod

Had a lot of fun on Iron Keep bridge last night, tons of duel signs there.

I one shotted someone who didn't roll when I threw a sunlight spear, which probably surprised the hell out of him as much as me. That damage goddamn.

Luna's boss is all about keeping your distance and doing some burst damage. If you have ranged attacks or a fully upgraded weapon it makes it a lot easier. It's also 100% optional as far as I know.

Sinner's Rise is a requirement so if story progress is your primary goal then go for that, but I haven't fought the boss yet. On my way there once I get tired of this bridge, I think.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but do I get less souls when I beat a boss in co-op (with me as summoner/host)?

As host? No. But the boss will have much higher defense with more players.

Ghazi

Get
the 14k ring from the cat merchant in Majula and jump down the well with full health.

Thanks, will do, I was meaning to do just that at some point, but thought it would be optional. I feel stupid now for using all those souls to level up.

B) LOL

You start off facing two at the same time, and then the third spawns not even 30 seconds afterwards?[/SPOILER}

there are more than 3 lol!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Just found out the answer to this after doing co-op at
Throne of Want
for a while. Got summoned and we fought
The Throne Watcher / Defender, and then afterwards Nashandra. So if you don't fight them separately, you have to fight them back to back!
That's kinda cool.

Well that's pretty wild.
So the Nashandra cutscene just starts instantly when you beat the Watcher and Defender then? And you keep the same phantoms for two consecutive fights?

Ghazi

there are more than 3 lol!

Michael-scott-no-god-no.gif

Toma

You start off facing two at the same time, and then the third spawns not even 30 seconds afterwards?

Two hits for each with my Club+9. I managed to pick them off one by one.

Sullichin

Well that's pretty wild.
So the Nashandra cutscene just starts instantly when you beat the Watcher and Defender then? And you keep the same phantoms for two consecutive fights?
Same phantoms.
The cutscene seemed the same, not sure if the beginning was different because I had stepped out of the room expecting to be sent back to my world.

sixghost

Same phantoms.
The cutscene seemed the same, not sure if the beginning was different because I had stepped out of the room expecting to be sent back to my world.

It's kind of disappointing that they don't guide you towards doing it in that order then. Fighting
watcher/defender and then Nashandra
would have been a really cool way to end the game.
Nashandra
was underwhelming from a challenge standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom