• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

2AdEPT

The amount of people saying this is starting to worry me. Still waiting for my copy to arrive

Its impossible to re-create the intrigue, mystery, slow progression of mastering the controls and new concepts which allow YOU DEFEATED/VICTORY ACHIEVED within a virgin playthrough of a souls game...it only happens once....that said ....no one stops having sex just because the first time was special! ;)

This game is easily the best yet for me so far (because its new content that I have been waiting the longest for)....Demon's was unmatchable...but over to fast.....Dark was great, lots to do, so far, I like a lot of the changes this one has made, lots o f improvements, but some will say poor decision. C'est le vie.

Nintyb

Banned
The amount of people saying this is starting to worry me. Still waiting for my copy to arrive

It's only because the luster has worn off a bit with the series. Ds2 is treading on "more of the same" territory. Still, it's a really good entry into the best series running.

Raxious

Its impossible to re-create the intrigue, mystery, slow progression of mastering the controls and new concepts which allow YOU DEFEATED/VICTORY ACHIEVED within a virgin playthrough of a souls game...it only happens once....that said ....no one stops having sex just because the first time was special! ;)

It's only because the luster has worn off a bit with the series. Ds2 is treading on "more of the same" territory. Still, it's a really good entry into the best series running.

The problem I had was some area's were just horrible, and there are some bosses which are exactly same, just different names and a slightly different model.

todd360

smelter demon
has wrecked me with 2 players to help twice now. The help dies and I'm left alone with him at low health and he eventually gets me.

Dresden

smelter demon
has wrecked me with 2 players to help twice now. The help dies and I'm left alone with him at low health and he eventually gets me.

Try soloing it - might be intimidating, but he'll have less health and you'll have more room to maneuver in that small area.

sixghost

The problem I had was some area's were just horrible, and there are some bosses which are exactly same, just different names and a slightly different model.

One of the reasons I liked 2 so much was that I thought the areas were more consistent. I don't think there were any areas as bad as Lost Izalith or Blighttown. Dark Souls had higher highs and lower lows.

bigol

I think it's just as good, if that counts for anything.

This game is easily the best yet for me so far (because its new content that I have been waiting the longest for)....Demon's was unmatchable...but over to fast.....Dark was great, lots to do, so far, I like a lot of the changes this one has made, lots o f improvements, but some will say poor decision. C'est le vie.

If it's just more of the same then it's not a problem for me. Never expected anything else.
I just want a core Souls experience, even if slightly flawed. Dark Souls had its faults too but many seem to forget that.

2AdEPT

I haven't got very far yet....but all the games have had poor, sometimes rehashed bosses, how can you say one iteration is better than the other using this criteria?:

Demon's: Dragon God - Leechmonger (cool name though) and the 5.2 ??forgets name so unmemorable.....plague instead of poison ...big difference.

Dark : Firesage, BEd of Chaos, Pinwheel.

Dark 2: ???
Ornstein
? But he is fun to see in the new game...just a cameo you would think.

Clevinger

I haven't got very far yet....but all the games have had poor, sometimes rehashed bosses, how can you say one iteration is better than the other using this criteria?:

Demon's: Dragon God - Leechmonger (cool name though) and the 5.2 ??forgets name so unmemorable.....plague instead of poison ...big difference.

Dark : Firesage, BEd of Chaos, Pinwheel.

Dark 2: ???
Ornstein
? But he is fun to see in the new game...just a cameo you would think.

gargoyles/maneaters

tower knight/iron golem

king allant/artorias

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I killed the ghost ship Siamese twin boss. But I didn't get the treasure in the chest before the ship took me to Lost Bastille. Is it something I need or just a consumable?

ironcreed

Banned
That's it, break time. I'll deal with this
Rat Vanguard
bullshit later. All of the baddass ancient knights and monsters I have vanquished and yet here I am getting my ass handed to me by a pack of
rats.
Only in Dark Souls.

So I beat the iron keep boss I never found anything that helps you
walk on fire like in DS1, so how do you get all those items. and holy shit was that boss easy.

hertog

The best thing about this game, is that it's the first souls game I've ever played. I got DeS and DS waiting after this game :)

Is DeS a lot different than the DS series?

Randam

If it's just more of the same then it's not a problem for me. Never expected anything else.
I just want a core Souls experience, even if slightly flawed. Dark Souls had its faults too but many seem to forget that.
Don't listen to them. This game isn't as good as the first too.

Can anyone please tell me what the treasure is for completing a really hard jump right at the end of Harvest Valley before Earthen Ruins? I keep dying and want to know if it's worth it . . .

TY!

Also, still wondering about Ornifex's boss soul weapons and great shields.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Anyone know how to get to the treasure on the platform in the Forest of Giants. The area located next to the 2nd bonfire and the lizard. I thought you could jump from the tree to the spot to the right of the treasure, but it turns out that seems to be where you need to end up.

test_account

XP-39C²
What you should do is
teleport to one of the bonfires in earthen keep and light the watermill on fire. This drains the poison from the boss fight.
Poison is pretty OP. In that fight specifically
you have to do something to drain the poison from the boss fight before you get there. If you want me to tell you let me know.
Great, thanks! :) Now i made it with no big problem. How do you know that this is what you're suppose to do by the way? I know there is a small ledge up there, but it doesnt seem to be any clear path there. Or do you get an "examine" prompt when you go all the way up there?

Hmm, is there a shortcut to the Duke's Freja boss? Or is there a bonfire close by?
There is a bonfire at the bottom, near the
sandpit
. Have you activated that one?

I killed the ghost ship Siamese twin boss. But I didn't get the treasure in the chest before the ship took me to Lost Bastille. Is it something I need or just a consumable?
Pretty sure it's the
Pyromancy Flame.
Despite the ship leaving in the cinematic, you can always go back to that area. It'll still be there.

soldat7

I figured I should mention this here, in case you guys want to give it a go and see for yourselved if the look of the game improves. Based on a post by Sickbean in that other thread, in the display settings of my PS3, I changed the RGB Full Range to full and then set the in-game gamma. The difference was astounding.

The gamma in the game generally still seems to be way off and needs to be patched, but at least I could get proper blacks and more contrast. I found the lighting so much more effective visually, and it makes the torch mechanic far, far more rewarding to use.

It's a bit of a hack workaround but if your TV supports it, give it a try and see if it improves the visual experience.

Confirmed. This makes a world of difference (with some black crush, unfortunately.)

Looks much , much better.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I just can't stop thinking about (area spoiler)
Huntsman's Copse. It's like Castlevania III's forest stages had a baby with RE4's village area. Just incredibly creepy, and yet insanely beautiful.

Majmun

WTF, I just rolled into some containers that broke everything I had equipped.

In The Gutter, right? lol Happened to me as well. That was a very expensive roll.

Just finished the game. Took me almost 43 hours to beat it. Beat the last boss on my second try.

I think I liked Demon's Souls and Dark Souls more. Those games had more memorable bossfights, better environments, better art and better level design. Level design with amazing shortcuts>>>>bonfire teleportation.

This was still a great game, though. I'm going to beat the rest of the bossess now. I think I've missed two or three.

HAHAHA I found the 3rd Bonfire in Land of the Giants. Holy shit those turtles are fuckers! :D Much going on in that area? I found a Bastard Sword (will do until I come across my Claymore!) and a Leather set, but not much else?

I keep getting "Failed to log in to DARK SOULS II game server" anyone else getting this? It was working fine for me yesterday night.

Edit: I kept retrying, after a couple of tries it finally connected.

Chorazin

Damn, I'm feeling so disappointed by this. I loved DS1, spent 80 hours on it. Never felt dead ended, never felt like I couldn't just do something else or find new armor/weapons/materials or just farm souls for hours. I'm 12 hours into DS2 and am still wearing the starting armor, barely upgraded my sword and chest armor, and feel like I'm stuck between the bosses that two shot me.

I hate the changes to combat, I hate the health reduction death penalty, hate that every enemy I kill is potentially gone forever after that. and I just feel like this is some cheap knock off of the game I fucking loved.

Sorry for the rant, I just needed to blow off steam.

RE: Comparing Dark Souls II to Demon's/Dark Souls.

Personally, I'm holding off on making that decision until I've at least started my NG+ play through. I just have so many hours clocked into both Demon's Souls and original Dark Souls that there's no way I can make an accurate call on which of the three is the best after having played like 30 hours of Dark Souls II.

With that said, I've been loving every second of it and absolutely dig the bosses and environments so far and I'm only at Lost Bastille. Can't wait to see what else is in store.

BeeDog

Whine time:

I've explored most of the branches available to me, but can't seem to finish off any of the bosses despite me being somewhat decently levelled, ugh.

Bosses that are available to me:

- The Lost Sinner
- The Rotten (the closest I've been to winning thus far)
- Duke's Freja
(- Royal Rat Authority)
(- Smelter Demon)

I even managed to solo the Belfry Gargoyles, but the above ones slaughter me. :(

Anyway, got a question; killing that passive, enormous bug in the Gutter, what does it do?

Managed to take out the
three sentinels
on my own on my first try, and I normally hate having to manage multiple opponents.

Although I've kind of hit a brick wall, last boss I killed was
The Lost Sinner
and I've got no idea where to go. I got all the way to the
Chariot
but I'm getting really frustrated by the long walk to him and the fight itself. Any idea where I should go?

Farooq

Banned
This my own observation only, and own opinion entirely, but my guess is adaptability governs speed of the roll, equip burden the weightedness and therefore ability to extend the distance of rolls.

See my last post above for an easy test. Here were my stats:
VGR - 14
END - 9
VIT - 14
ATN - 7
STR - 8
DEX - 12
ADP - 18
INT/FTH - 5

Equip load % determines your roll speed. ADP helps reduce time of consumables(healing with a flask) and adds invincibility frames to your roll. Some people also speculate you can chain commands faster with high agility, but there is no confirmation.

A high ADP does not make your roll faster, people have counted frames and determined that the frames with the a high agility and low agility are the same. Which is why people speculate that you can use a command faster out of a roll with high agility. A low equip load % does reduce the frames of your roll.

Equip Load% also determines how fast your stamina recharges and walk speed. Equipment Load and Weight Breakdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwSNzUD0lms (Video is about 3 minutes long)

The video does not count the frames of a roll, I got that information from another forum. The community probably needs to do more research because everything is very much speculation.

Edit: There is also a possibility that the individuals that tested the frames of a roll with a high agility and low agility, were testing incorrectly. But I tried rolls with a high agility and low agility, they seemed the same to my naked eye. I can notice a difference with my rolls when changing equip load %, that much is obvious.

Noob Fu

84 hours, lvl 165 mostly STR build. Beat it. I could see myself playing this for the next couple years. From Software has made 3 of the best games ever made period. Nothing else comes close to these games, NOTHING! I found a couple secret levels, optional bosses (one that had me glad that the enemies didn't respawn after a ton of tries). So much variety of weapons, armor, spells. I could go on forever. Keep up the great work From Software.

Only gripe I had is I went Dex build on past 2 games and found nothing to suit my fancy this time around. Is there a Baldurs Sword or Blueblood Sword in this one? If so, where?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom