• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einbroch

Banned
Early game boss spoilers:

The two bosses in the Flame Tower place (Dragonrider and Old whatever) were a joke. Literally just walk around in circle hugging them, auto attack, circle, auto...

I hope the rest aren't like this. I want SOME challenge from the bosses.

BeeDog

The two bosses in the Flame Tower place (Dragonrider and Old whatever) were a joke. Literally just walk around in circle hugging them, auto attack, circle, auto...

Don't worry, you'll get some decent, decent challenge from the later bosses.

Afrodium

Banned
Is there any penalty for ringing the bell while in the Bell Keepers Covenant? Is ringing the bell something hats even nescesary to beat the game, or is it only for PvP?

Footos22

Is there any penalty for ringing the bell while in the Bell Keepers Covenant? Is ringing the bell something hats even nescesary to beat the game, or is it only for PvP?

No penalty
Opens the boss gate underneath. The bastille key is after them. Is all optional.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So I just noticed something kinda crazy for anybody running a sorcery build.

There's a cute little sword that doubles as a sorcery catalyst. It's like the Dark Souls 2 version of the Tin Banishment Catalyst from the first game. Basically instead of having a strong attack it casts your currently-equipped spell. It's kinda neat, but not all that useful.

Or so I thought.

Thing is, it's enchantable. And any enchantment you put on it provides its damage bonus to the spells you cast from it. So you put it in your right hand, a regular catalyst in your left, cast one of the Magic Weapon line of spells on it, then start firing off whatever spells you want. With a damage increase of between 50% and 100%.

Fun fact.

Very late game spoilers:

I went and got 4 souls of giants so I've been trying to beat Vendrick. Man, if I screw up once in that fight, it is over!

sixghost

So I just noticed something kinda crazy for anybody running a sorcery build.

There's a cute little sword that doubles as a sorcery catalyst. It's like the Dark Souls 2 version of the Tin Banishment Catalyst from the first game. Basically instead of having a strong attack it casts your currently-equipped spell. It's kinda neat, but not all that useful.

Or so I thought.

Thing is, it's enchantable. And any enchantment you put on it provides its damage bonus to the spells you cast from it. So you put it in your right hand, a regular catalyst in your left, cast one of the Magic Weapon line of spells on it, then start firing off whatever spells you want. With a damage increase of between 50% and 100%.

Fun fact.

Which sword is it? I saw someone use that against me in PvP, but he wouldn't tell me where he got it.

Corpekata

Banned

The first 4 or 5ish bosses most people will fight are pretty weaksauce but there's a definite step up after them.

How did you do this? I'm stuck on these guys right now. I can get the first one down but once the other two show up I'm toast.

Once the first one is down just chill up top until the first one jumps up, smack him around a bit but keep an eye on the other, then when he jumps up (and you have enough health) roll down to the floor.

Then it's a matter of keeping the both in frame and waiting for an opportunity to attack, concentrate on the one with the lowest health.

I didn't really find the fight too difficult, I nearly died once though. I was using a +3 or 4 mace that was taking about 500-200 damage a shot so it was making (fairly) short work of each of them.

Damn, I'm feeling so disappointed by this. I loved DS1, spent 80 hours on it. Never felt dead ended, never felt like I couldn't just do something else or find new armor/weapons/materials or just farm souls for hours. I'm 12 hours into DS2 and am still wearing the starting armor, barely upgraded my sword and chest armor, and feel like I'm stuck between the bosses that two shot me.

I hate the changes to combat, I hate the health reduction death penalty, hate that every enemy I kill is potentially gone forever after that. and I just feel like this is some cheap knock off of the game I fucking loved.

Sorry for the rant, I just needed to blow off steam.
I felt like that (still do a little) but I'm coming around. It's funny about the non-respawning enemies because for whatever reason they did it - so people couldn't farm? I've found myself purposefully killing enemies in an area 15 times so that I didn't lose their souls in a boss fight. So I'm actually grinding more than I would because they did this. Usually I'd just let souls go if I lost them in a boss fight, but now I know I can never get them back, so I want to make sure I get them, use them - then do the boss.

The movement is a downgrade though, does anyone think the new motion captures are as fluid as graceful to use as DS1? It feels like a really tight and restrictive version of DeS to me, and this can't all be down to Adaptibility surely? The motion captures are just really stiff and robotic. I'm in adjustment, and I'll be interested to see what I feel about it once I've been through the whole thing once or twice and if by the end of it I prefer combat in DS2 over 1 - right now, I doubt it.

Ken

Any opinions on Soul Vesseling a knight into a cleric/melee with miracles? Would really like to give something other than bashing people with a big stick a go in NG+.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Which sword is it? I saw someone use that against me in PvP, but he wouldn't tell me where he got it.

It's called
Blue Flame

To get it you
need to kill the sword-and-shield ghosts in the Undead Crypt. The guys who float around and who spawn endlessly from their little gravestones or when the bell rings in the area in front of the boss door. It's a random drop, so just put on your Gold Serpent Ring and your lucky hat of choice and just start killing them.

It's served me well in PvP, since people never expect you to suddenly bust out a Soul Spear or something from a sword.

Though I guess that surprise factor won't last much longer.

Once the first one is down just chill up top until the first one jumps up, smack him around a bit but keep an eye on the other, then when he jumps up (and you have enough health) roll down to the floor.

Then it's a matter of keeping the both in frame and waiting for an opportunity to attack, concentrate on the one with the lowest health.

I didn't really find the fight too difficult, I nearly died once though. I was using a +3 or 4 mace that was taking about 500-200 damage a shot so it was making (fairly) short work of each of them.
Cool, thanks for the tips. I've been grinding quite a bit and I'm using a similar weapon/level now as you, so hopefully I'll be in a much better position than I was last time I tried.

I'm playing a mainly strength build but I recently re-explored the Bastille and found
Twinblade
is it worth re-speccing to mainly dex for it? I love the moveset and the look of it. I'm just wondering if it scales well.

sixghost

It's called
Blue Flame

To get it you
need to kill the sword-and-shield ghosts in the Undead Crypt. The guys who float around and who spawn endlessly from their little gravestones or when the bell rings in the area in front of the boss door. It's a random drop, so just put on your Gold Serpent Ring and your lucky hat of choice and just start killing them.

It's served me well in PvP, since people never expect you to suddenly bust out a Soul Spear or something from a sword.

Though I guess that surprise factor won't last much longer.

Oh, I've already got that. Thanks for the tip.

Chake

Banned
So which boss should i tackle first?

The three skeleton bros, old dragon slayer, the ghost ship boss, and the persuer

And how far am i?

Whine time:

I've explored most of the branches available to me, but can't seem to finish off any of the bosses despite me being somewhat decently levelled, ugh.

Bosses that are available to me:

- The Lost Sinner
- The Rotten (the closest I've been to winning thus far)
- Duke's Freja
(- Royal Rat Authority)
(- Smelter Demon)

I even managed to solo the Belfry Gargoyles, but the above ones slaughter me. :(

Anyway, got a question; killing that passive, enormous bug in the Gutter, what does it do?

RRA is completely optional. The rest are all the "Prime Demons" or whatever they're called in this game, to continue the progression to the Castle.
Well Smelter isn't, but he's what leads to the last one, the Old Iron King.

What level are you?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
it's a shame the game doesn't have the world cohesion of Dark Souls.

At least it doesn't have shit levels like Tomb of Giants, Lost Izalith and Blighttown and not an annoying boss fight like Bed of Chaos. Im ok with not being cohesive but it is certainly more consistent on terms of quality.

fought the 2nd boss in the tower of flame area last night. i literally said "oh FUCK me!" out loud. then i proceeded to whomp his ass.
ornstein
gettin' soft in his old age.

hertog

I killed a few NPC's
Pate, the old merchant woman at the bonfire in the forest of giants and a few witched in those red robes in the beginning of the game

Was this a dumb thing to do?

Grisby

That's it, break time. I'll deal with this
Rat Vanguard
bullshit later. All of the baddass ancient knights and monsters I have vanquished and yet here I am getting my ass handed to me by a pack of
rats.
Only in Dark Souls.
It's not too bad if you have a giant sword.

Also, it's the only boss I've taken out in like, 3 hits.

Vazra

I killed a few NPC's
Pate, the old merchant woman at the bonfire in the forest of giants and a few witched in those red robes in the beginning of the game

Congrats sinner and yes it was a dumb thing to do.
(Kill everyone before doing the final boss)

SJRB

Gold Member
I could REALLY use some pro strats to take down the
Ruin Sentinels
, they're kicking my ass. I know about "frist one, then the rest", but still.

Ken

I killed a few NPC's

no way dude, kill em all

can't trust anyone after patches!

I laugh at people who claim you cannot farm in this game. it's entirely possible to replay bosses or sections of levels by laying a summon sign on the ground. I mean, there really is no need, but for those who want an "easier" game it's there.

I laugh at people who claim you cannot farm in this game. it's entirely possible to replay bosses or sections of levels by laying a summon sign on the ground. I mean, there really is no need, but for those who want an "easier" game it's there.

I don't think souls are the only thing people are talking about.

ElFly

Wait, I am wrong. I only have 3 primordial bonfires.
Freya wasn't a primordial soul at all!

So, where do I find the fourth primordial bonfire? So far I have

Lost Sinner
Old Iron King
Soul of the Rotten

Where should I go now?

Vazra

Wait, I am wrong. I only have 3 primordial bonfires.
Freya wasn't a primordial soul at all!

So, where do I find the fourth primordial bonfire? So far I have

Lost Sinner
Old Iron King
Soul of the Rotten

Where should I go now?

Freja's bonfire was Primordial

BeeDog

RRA is completely optional. The rest are all the "Prime Demons" or whatever they're called in this game, to continue the progression to the Castle.
Well Smelter isn't, but he's what leads to the last one, the Old Iron King.

What level are you?

Yep, someone told me he's completely optional earlier, that's why I put it into parentheses. I also have the Executioner's Chariot fight to clear, keep forgetting it.

I am soul level 88 I think. I think I pumped too much into Adaptability (reached 38), and have unevenly spread my levels over the other stats... :/

embalm

It's
anor londo thousands of years later. The cannon ending to dark souls 1 was when the cursed lit the flame, thus a new age was born. You can read it off the item that boosts estus flasks healing power by 1 (not the shards). That is why the dragons have returned once more.

The lost sinner is the witch of izalith (if you have the guide, it explains everything)

The queen nashandra got jealous of the power, and thus cursed the land to what it is now.

You light the flame anew (the first flame) and thus a new age is born again.
Lore spoilers above and below.
There is no cannon ending. Both events happened. Many chosen undead from the first game lit the fires, the sublime dust is what became of them. One undead ushered in the age of dark and many kingdoms later is where the game takes place, in the age of dark. An age of dark, an age without gods ruling over the people. No one even remembers the names of the gods anymore, this is truly the age of men.

The sinner tried to relit the flame and end the current age but was locked away.

Nashandra is the abyss reborn, a piece of manus becoming corporeal anew. She wants to keep the world as it is as and let abyss grow stronger. The abyss is currently weak and separated. Manus thought that man would be weak, and he could usurp the throne, but the cursed continue to defeat him, in Oolicile, in New Londo, and now in Draeglic.

With gods gone, the dragons are still almost extinct, you only meet one true dragon in the game. He is pretty much all powerful and helps those who seek him out. He has no reason to hide now that the Gods are dead or missing.

hipgnosis

I'm loving this game although I'm just 3 bosses in. I love the fact that there is always a lot of shit to do. I'm also digging the world in this game. It's different enough from the first game to keep things fresh. The boat in No-mans wharf was awesome for example.

I also find this game harder than Dark Souls. Even though I know the first game fairly well and I'm on the endgame on NG+ in DS I still find this really challenging. Also now I'm terrfied as fuck to lose my souls since the amount is limited.

So I don't have Xbox Gold and I'm playing this game offline. Is the game still doable without it or is the online mode necessary? I'm reading people farming souls and materials online and i don't have that chance at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom