• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixghost

Is it worth it to consume the souls of the bosses? The tooltip implies it has another use, can someone tell me what that is?

Save them until you see what you can trade them for at the boss soul vendors, and if you don't see anything that looks useful, use them. They're worth quite a bit.

Brohan

isn't resin temporary?

they're both terrible but pate already gave me his armor so i saw no point in helping him

K thx, makes me feel a little bit better about myself XD
How are u certain that Pate really was a snake though? Other than Creighton's claim which doesn't mean alot.

Has anyone had success playing a nimble character with fast weapons? I find even with Adp 30, the... inherent "lag" build into your actions makes it impractical. Trying to dodge properly, particularly after an attack feels off compared to the prior two games. Formerly fast dex weapons like the falchion are slower and super brittle.

It seems you're much better off strapping on heavy armor and slinging big slow weapons.

Wow the
Pirate ship cove
area is fucking crazy. This feels so new for Souls, I love it. I thought I'd cleared the area out and
used a Pharro stone to light the area
and I made my way back to
the magic trainer, thank FUCK I finally found one!
and ended up the filling in a sandwich of two enemies that just bumrushed me from behind on the walkway!

Those non-human enemies are creepy as hell, the noises they make are horrible, and this area is DARK. In fact overall the game has been way darker than I was led to believe by all the #youlied stuff, I think some people are playing this with the brighness turned up or something.

Fhtagn

I may have screwed myself irrecoverably by choosing the explorer and the useless stat of adaptability, but even so I feel this game is kinda disappointing. Exploration gets cut off before it even starts, and then it's time to do bosses or grind the first level to get more souls. Frustration or boredom, what a choice!

I spent 40 hours and ~17 named places to visit before I was railroaded down a forced path to proceed. (And even then, I may have missed something.) There's almost always at least two places to explore at all times in the early game.

Clevinger

Now it says "Failed to create summon sign" when I try to put my sign down. Someone else is experiencing it here and it doesn't sound hopeful. If co-op/invasions for this character is broken, then fuck this game. I'm going to be too pissed to try a new character for a long time.

Co-op is working again! I don't know if waiting fixed it or not, but the last thing I tried (after a shitload of other stuff) was starting in offline mode and then going into online mode and everything was working again.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I wish I had a capture card...I really do

I'm cooping down here in blood gluch

1000px-Blood_gulch.jpg

I spent 40 hours and ~17 named places to visit before I was railroaded down a forced path to proceed. (And even then, I may have missed something.) There's almost always at least two places to explore at all times in the early game.

I just killed
the last giant
and now I can't find any other places to go except
Pursuer or Heide's
. Neither of which can happen without more souls, but there's nowhere to go get them, except the
Forest of Fallen Giants, picked clean of everything interesting

Scher

Has anyone had success playing a nimble character with fast weapons? I find even with Adp 30, the... inherent "lag" build into your actions makes it impractical. Trying to dodge properly, particularly after an attack feels off compared to the prior two games. Formerly fast dex weapons like the falchion are slower and super brittle.

It seems you're much better off strapping on heavy armor and slinging big slow weapons.

I did the whole game in the starter Swordsman armor 2-handing a curved blade. There was only one fight I used a shield for (
Belfry Gargoyles
). Other than that, I had 25 adaptability and felt I could get around just about anything as long as I was cautious.

Jobbs

Banned
I can't beat the sentinels. Tried summoning, being summoned, single, nothing works.

Any advice?

When you first drop down onto the platform, you get the opportunity to kill one of them alone. Then all you have to do is take on two at once in the open area below, which is much easier than three. There's a huge difference between two and three.

There's an NPC summon sign for a wizard who does pretty good damage. Check the jail cell.

Which enemy drops
blacksteel katana
?

Samurai robots in Iron Keep, which you end up at by following the Huntsman's Copse pathway.

Leezard

I just killed
the last giant
and now I can't find any other places to go except
Pursuer or Heide's
. Neither of which can happen without more souls, but there's nowhere to go get them, except the
Forest of Fallen Giants, picked clean of everything interesting

You should be able to handle Heide's, try
buying a mace. Strike damage hurts the old knights much.

I really enjoy the game progression in DS2. It's like a mixture of Demon's and Dark. Like Demon's, paths are generally linear once you get going, but like Dark the way you choose the path is organic unlike Demon's use of more-or-less a level select screen. And some of these paths fucking sprawl endlessly, it's insane. Some nice Demon's-style area-specific shortcuts to unlock as well.

This game.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Just beat
Dear Freja and now there is some giant rock/crystal thing in that room
.... What is it for?

Super vague answer:
you can do something with it late in the game when you get an item that you can't miss.

Genuinely spoiler-y answer:
after you get the Ashen Mist Heart near the end of the game come back and examine it again for something neat.

Scher

Late game spoiler question:

How do you hurt the King after the boss of Undead Crypt?

If you continue on with the game, you'll end up getting what you need, but to be specific,
at the end of Dragon's Aerie, you will get an item that let's you go into the memories of withered giants. There's 3 of them in the forest of giants (one of which is required in order to progress) and 1 in Black Gulch. At the end of the memories, you will get a giant's soul, each of which allows you to do additional damage to Vendrick.

I have no idea how anyone finds some of these secret doors without messages. Some people must be hitting a against every wall

Yea i'm so compulsive about finding secrets on my first playthrough that I always hit almost every single wall. You have to be a lot more selective in Dark Souls 2 though cuz the weapon durability is so low and walls/objects etc seems to deteriorate it much quicker than before.

Ferrio

Banned
Yea i'm so compulsive about finding secrets on my first playthrough that I always hit almost every single wall. You have to be a lot more selective in Dark Souls 2 though cuz the weapon durability is so low and walls/objects etc seems to deteriorate it much quicker than before.

I have bad news for you....

Secret walls are accessed by hitting X not clanging swords on them

I did the whole game in the starter Swordsman armor 2-handing a curved blade. There was only one fight I used a shield for (
Belfry Gargoyles
). Other than that, I had 25 adaptability and felt I could get around just about anything as long as I was cautious.

That's how I want to play, but DKII makes everything feel laggy and awkward to me.

Dresden

Finally beat the
Scorpioness Najka
with the bonfire intensity raised after two futile attempts. Lightning spear just couldn't hit it at all. The Southern Ritual Band +2 is mine.

How do I get behind the gate in Forest of Fallen Giants with the turtle guys behind it in the area with the tree branch you walk up? I beat the area and bosses but gate is still closed?

Con_Smith

Banned
After being dicked around in the belfry I finally killed the gargoyles all by myself with a plus four club! Exciting shit as I'd attempted a few times with a few players and got wiped.

Heart was pumping like a sledge hammer the whole time though no lie.

Facism

armour spoiler, but i saw some guy fat rolling in
Havel's Set
at the belfry. Just spammed heavy soul arrow at him whilst he tried to fat roll around with his giant club LOL.

Astral

So I think I've reached a possible level cap for everything except VGR. My stats are:

Lv 141
VGR 33
END 30
VIT 30
ATN 2
STR 10
DEX 40
ADP 40
INT 1
FTH 8

At this point everything but my health is increasing by 1 or less. Am I pretty much done with my character?

Jobbs

Banned
How do I get behind the gate in Forest of Fallen Giants with the turtle guys behind it in the area with the tree branch you walk up? I beat the area and bosses but gate is still closed?

after you kill the last giant, you get a soldier key. from the old lady merchant bonfire: *this is from memory so I may be wrong* go down the ladder, while facing the pit below turn left and go for the door, turn right and see a locked door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom