• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
has this been posted? Some spoilers but it addresses the limited pool of human effigies and titanite.

After seeing countless topics regarding this, it's time to clear the air once and for all regarding the "finite" about of upgrade materials and human effigies.
Let's start with titanite. We all know every step of titanite is farmable from enemies. "But /u/Sesstuna the enemies despawn after you kill them too much!" Yeah, we know. That's why there is a material vendor. The blacksmiths daughter, first found in Harvest Valley, moves to Majula after exhausting her dialogue options. As you reach certain milestones in the game, her stock of titanite becomes limitless, starting with Titanite after beating Iron Keep, ending with Titanite Chunks becoming limitless once the final boss is defeated. She also stocks several infusion stones/twinkling Titanites/petrified dragon bones.

Now with humanity. Outside of several mobs dropping humanity and Melentia's near constant restocking of humanity via progression, there is one last sure fire way to regain humanity. In the Shrine of Amana, above the last bonfire, there is a Shrine with a praying Milfinito. After you have "rescued" the two stray maidens (one outside the Demon of Song room, another behind the Embedded Door in Drangleic Castle) you can pray at this Shrine at any time to regain humanity. This is free of cost and can be done a limitless amount of times.

Facism

whilst i'm annoyed the removed the tiered casting, i'm happy that heavy spells cause stagger and contributes to poise-breaking.

Homing soul Arrow 3+ hit > stagger > Heavy Great Soul Arrows or MACE TO THE FACE.

Love it with beef.

Arjen

I just use the ring that let's you keep your souls and humanity when you die, only 3k to fix them. Dying is trivial now. Hell I even got two of them in case I forgot to fix one of them. I think I've got like 20 effigy's in stock.

Rerolled as a knight today at the advice of those watching my stream and beat four bosses -
Last Giant, Persuer, Ruin Guardians (nowhere near O&S in difficulty guys, come on) and Lost Sinner

So far with this game I hate:

1) Enemies despawning. It's lame as hell.
2) The visual cutbacks. Biggest example:
After beating the Sinner, you walk down some steps, open a chest and wander into a room with the Primal Bonfire. The room is a textured box, and the 360 version rubs it in by running it at a lovely 60fps.
3) The fast degrading of weaponry, which means I have to micromanage durability.

Two things I love:
1) The animations are great.
2) Weapon and drop spoiler:
I got the Channeler's Trident from giving the crows my petrified something. The rarest item in DS1, given to me at the start of the game by the glory of RNG. And it's amazing too, it still has its spinny 1H R2 and its powerup 2H R2!

I will say that playing this game and streaming it is a tonne of fun. From have a solid future ahead of them with the streaming features of next gen.

Ken

33ish hours later I finished the story. I don't really care for rankings or playing favorites among the titles but I'll say it was really fun and enjoyed it most of the way through except for a couple of locations.

So something happened to my character. They were somehow transformed
into a woman!

Don't spoil me on the solution or anything, I'm playing through blindly...I just want to be sure...

Is this a curse or a glitch?

Thanks.

Raxus

Rerolled as a knight today at the advice of those watching my stream and beat four bosses -
Last Giant, Persuer, Ruin Guardians (nowhere near O&S in difficulty guys, come on) and Lost Sinner

So far with this game I hate:

1) Enemies despawning. It's lame as hell.
2) The visual cutbacks. Biggest example:
After beating the Sinner, you walk down some steps, open a chest and wander into a room with the Primal Bonfire. The room is a textured box, and the 360 version rubs it in by running it at a lovely 60fps.
3) The fast degrading of weaponry, which means I have to micromanage durability.

Two things I love:
1) The animations are great.
2) Weapon and drop spoiler:
I got the Channeler's Trident from giving the crows my petrified something. The rarest item in DS1, given to me at the start of the game by the glory of RNG. And it's amazing too, it still has its spinny 1H R2 and its powerup 2H R2!
I'd like to point out that you can now wear FOUR rings and one of them allows you to basically never have to worry about durability ever again unless you run into corrosive.

Neither. You performed an action that changes your gender highlight if you want to know
sleeping in the coffin in the starting area changes sex.

Scher

There, finally finished the game!

The second to last boss was kind of annoying. The gimmick of the fight screwed me up the first time it happened, but then I was able to beat it without too much trouble on the next attempt. The last boss was surprisingly easy. I was expecting something a bit more difficult, but oh well. Now it's time to move on to other games I've been excited for. Maybe I'll bother with a NG+ run at some point.

fedexpeon

Banned
has this been posted? Some spoilers but it addresses the limited pool of human effigies and titanite.

After seeing countless topics regarding this, it's time to clear the air once and for all regarding the "finite" about of upgrade materials and human effigies.
Let's start with titanite. We all know every step of titanite is farmable from enemies. "But /u/Sesstuna the enemies despawn after you kill them too much!" Yeah, we know. That's why there is a material vendor. The blacksmiths daughter, first found in Harvest Valley, moves to Majula after exhausting her dialogue options. As you reach certain milestones in the game, her stock of titanite becomes limitless, starting with Titanite after beating Iron Keep, ending with Titanite Chunks becoming limitless once the final boss is defeated. She also stocks several infusion stones/twinkling Titanites/petrified dragon bones.

Now with humanity. Outside of several mobs dropping humanity and Melentia's near constant restocking of humanity via progression, there is one last sure fire way to regain humanity. In the Shrine of Amana, above the last bonfire, there is a Shrine with a praying Milfinito. After you have "rescued" the two stray maidens (one outside the Demon of Song room, another behind the Embedded Door in Drangleic Castle) you can pray at this Shrine at any time to regain humanity. This is free of cost and can be done a limitless amount of times.

Whoa at the prayer...game changer for me.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Why does my regular rapier seem to scale better than my ricards raper, when ricards has S in dex and regular has B with a d in strength? is dual scaling better, even if you have a really low stat for the second scaling?
I wonder about that too. I have 40 dex, and my uchi is stronger than my blacksteel katana, despite the uchi having A scaling and the other kat having S. But the uchi has some slight (D) scaling with str, and I have 16 str. Is that why?

I love the iaito/blacksteel moveset, but for PvE I think I'll keep the uchi anyway, since the r2 thrust is way too useful in narrow corridors.

Major props to anyone that resists the urge to heal during PVP.
I only heal if I'm being invaded. Invaders are just trying to impede my progress and I treat them like any other enemy. Are people healing after summoning a red sign? If so, that's lame.

Would anyone be so kind as to tell me where I can find a good bow for dex? Thanks.

Or like ... any bow.
I forgot where the shortbow is, but it's very early in the game. The longbow is sold by
McDuff after you bring him the Dull Ember.
, there's also a bow drop from the Bell tower but it's not that good, barely better than the shortbow.

So what are katana users picking to upgrade and how. I see uchigatana is nice but it has a B scale with dex while a crappier katana scales A. In DS1 you just infuse a katana with fire or lightning and you become unstoppable, is that the same here?
lol, good job on wasting all that dex. >_< Elemental katanas are stupid unless you stay at really low level.

At 40 DEX, which is the point where you get diminishing returns from most stats, the blacksteel katana does 10 or 20 more damage than the uchigatana, and it has the better moveset imo.
Really? My uchi has higher AR... what is your STR? Mine is at 16 to wield a good shield.

lol, absolutely shocked by how poor this game is.

"Hey, remember the gargoyles from DS1? Let's copy and paste that and add 3 more of them!".

"What do we put here to guard this crappy treasure? Hmm, 15 dogs and a forced invasion sounds like good game design!".
Yeah, what a crappy game, having these nice tributes to the original game like the Gargoyles among a plethora of other bosses, and this one ambush encounter clearly shows how bad the game is...! Are you for real?

I totally marked out when
I heard the Gargoyles music and then saw there were more than two
. I thought it was awesome. If the whole game recycled bosses from DkS1 it'd be lame, but used sparingly like that, it's a nice tribute to the original.
"Oh, you thought fighting two Gargoyles at the same time was too easy huh? Here you go then, here's eleventy of 'em, have fun!" XD

I see boss spoilers, but no spoiler tags.

Say, can you clear out the in the ? What's the deal with the ?
I see really badly tagged spoilers myself. Seriously, how will someone know whether to click your spoiler tags or not? Ugh.

okay, I just got it. #notworthit >_>
What was it? Spoiler-tagged of course. I'm not sure I want to bother trying to get that.

Do crystal lizards respawn if you quit load over and over like in Dark? Or are you shit out of luck like you were in Demon's.
You need to rest at a bonfire. Be careful, you don't get the loot automatically anymore (so like DkS1 pre-patch), so grab it quickly from the corpse.

Holy crap. I nearly killed
Orifex
Haha me too. Had total flashbacks of
the Painted World of Ariamis
and freaked out. Then I saw I couldn't lock on to her and relaxed.

Weren't there also black phantom versions of the tougher Copse enemies hanging out where those guys spawn in the beta test?
Yeah. They didn't respawn though, while those do. Fair trade off. They got rid of the BP dual sickle fatties too, and replaced them with
an NPC invader but he's a total pushover.

Those are the worst. Evading them when beelining to was a challenge in itself.
I died to the BP guarding the fog gate, and then the boss, so many times, that I drove them to extinction lol. I admit, for that one boss, the extinction mechanism was appreciated.

Just keep at it. Authority had me for awhile but Executioner's Chariot is really easy once you "figure it out". Not sure if you want a hint but here's one:
I thought he was hard even despite knowing what to do (from the network beta).
I rarely got to the lever in time. The hardest part is surviving the skeletons when you're taking cover. I always ran out of stamina either trying to slash at them (and getting the chariot to run over them) or blocking them, then I'd get murdered. One time, I did reach the switch, but had neglected to kill the archer skeleton after the necromancer, and he killed me right as the chariot crashed into the gate. Arrrrgh!

Soooo,
anyway to fight Vendrick? He's just walking around and I do 0 damage.
Another shitty spoiler tag. Ugh.

How fast does uchigatana break? The description implies it does so pretty fast. Also is it a good weapon to upgrade to +10?
Not that bad. Just keep a spare weapon. I've had it "at risk" maybe once or twice and then switched to my falchion+9. I have it at +10 and it's serving me nicely for now.

How on Earth are people beating this so fast? I am over 30 hours in and feel like I am only scratching the surface, having only completed:

So much stuff to find and so many more locations to go. I am taking my time and combing the hell out of each area, and were it not for the guide, I would have already missed a ton just in the areas I have been to. And I am not even at the half-way point.
I'm like you, going slow and exploring everything. Unlike you, I refuse to use a guide though. :p I don't care if I miss out on some stuff, because I'll play it again and again.

Haha I love the player messages in level (area in the deep pit in Majula)

"This place again?"
Haha, I saw that message right before the fog gate to the boss of Belfry Luna. I was all, "huh?", then I entered the fog and understood. One of those great moments that makes me disagree with MrCookiepants's post above. I think I saw it somewhere else too, in another place reminiscent of Dark Souls 1, but I forgot where...

So if I want to be summoned for a particular boss fight, that boss must be alive in my game? I know it was like this in DS1,
No it wasn't...

Help, where is the summon sign for Lucatiel at the
Lost Sinner
boss? I can't find it
At the bottom of the elevator, IIRC.

But now I'm rocking crazy-looking Gyrm armor with a huge Gyrm shield, and I feel like Sandor Clegane.
I marked out so hard when I found that helm. Totally gonna make a Hound cosplay toon now... :)

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
About ready to just stop trying with this game. Made a new character, got to the first boss and 3, THREE times now I've summoned people just to fucking have them stand there when its vulnerable to attack.

DONE.

Man.... if you're struggling on the first 3 bosses.... I can't imagine the later bosses for you.

What happens if I use bonfire ascetic in the first area (forest) and I want to summon other players?
The new enemies will be NG+ ..so....I will only be able to summon players who are in NG + ?

Scher

So something happened to my character. They were somehow transformed
into a woman!

Don't spoil me on the solution or anything, I'm playing through blindly...I just want to be sure...

Thanks.

Well, if you did what I think you did, it's neither.

Gorillaz

I wish I had a capture card...I really do

I'm cooping down here in blood gluch,
other coop dude got eaten alive by this monster hand and just disappeared into the darkness

I was dying haha

I am a billion years off this, but has anyone ventured into NG+ yet? Interested to know wjst they changed this time. There were rumors of enemies being different types and all sorts.

ironcreed

Banned
I decided to take Grisby's advice and try torches. I went ahead and traveled back to the first bonfire so I could light them and explore. Not such a useless addition after all. Looks really cool walking around in the dark with one as well.

Just gonna drive-by some quick 20-hours-in impressions as to not read anything spoilery:

• First and foremost, the game looks superb. How any CONSOLE GAMER can think DS1 is better looking is beyond me. Sure, From dogged us, but we've still got a visually delicious game on our hands. Dat Majula vista. Also, load times and frame-rate on 360 (installed) are very solid.

• Alva Armour. My lord. I think it's my favey across the entire Souls series; thus far, anyway. It's like Ezio took a wrong turn somewhere.

• Motoi Sakuraba. You magnificent bastard.

That's pretty much all I need to say.

Plissken

So where is the second blacksmith at? The only one I have is the one in the shop you unlock.

In Lost Bastille, at the staircase where the Quasimodo dude kicks a barrel at you, the wall at the bottom blows up and leads to a blacksmith. You need to find an Ember to get him to work though, so I assume he's the guy that imbues your weapons.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Welp i just got cursed

No visible difference on my status

What's going to happen to me? :(
Your save will delete itself randomly now. It could be in ten minutes, it could be in ten hours, or it could be never. Fun!

Only joking. It takes off a part of your HP, just like dying does. Except you don't necessarily die automatically when cursed now. Later on you see cursed traps and if your meter fills out, your HP bar drops.

Dresden

Wow, used the bonfire ascetic at the Shaded Ruins and
the lion guys are brutal now. So much hp, and so much resistance to lightning and magic.
Still slow and easy to handle 1v1, but their AI range is huge and the moment I step out of the safe zone I get mobbed by a few.

e: I think I'll have to upgrade a mace for enemies like these.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
First and foremost, the game looks superb. How any CONSOLE GAMER can think DS1 is better looking is beyond me. Sure, From dogged us, but we've still got a visually delicious game on our hands.
For the most part, I agree. I think the Shaded Ruins and the Harvest Valley are genuinely ugly though. Those bland grey textures are eh. :( I'm really not difficult to please graphics wise, but those parts made me notice. No other areas in Demon's or Dark 1 did that.

T.O.P

Banned
Your save will delete itself randomly now. It could be in ten minutes, it could be in ten hours, or it could be never. Fun!

Only joking. It takes off a part of your HP, just like dying does. Except you don't necessarily die automatically when cursed now. Later on you see cursed traps and if your meter fills out, your HP bar drops.

Umm.... you're going to use a human effigy, and then you're going to be fine. :p

oh lol

Majmun

The graphics in this game are definitely a mixed bag. Some area's look like Minecraft, while others look really good.

The game looks very unpolished in the graphics department.

So I'm at the E
arthen
P
eak
right now running around collecting treasures. Is there anything worth going out of my way for? The poison broadsword looks tempting. But other than that, I'm ready to go to the area boss.
Already torched the windmill and all that
. Are there any useful tricks for taking her down?

phierce

^ She's fairly simple without the poison in the room. If you're melee, just block and stay in the front'ish of her. Don't get greedy. She's cake.

The graphics in this game are definitely a mixed bag. Some area's look like Minecraft, while others look really good.

The game looks very unpolished in the graphics department.
Minecraft? Some parts might not be high quality, but Minecraft is a bit of a stretch, no?

So I don't know where to go now. So far, I've beaten:

The Last Sinner
The Pursuer
Last Giant
Skeleton Lord
Ruin Sentinels
Executioner's Chariot
Flexile Sentry
Old Dragonslayer
Dragonrider

I can't unpetrify the stone woman blocking the level because I used my 1 Fragrant Branch of Yore on
the sorcerer in the tower.

Ken

So I'm at the E
arthen
P
eak
right now running around collecting treasures. Is there anything worth going out of my way for? The poison broadsword looks tempting. But other than that, I'm ready to go to the area boss.
Already torched the windmill and all that
. Are there any useful tricks for taking her down?

i just used the almighty circle strafe

Neither. You performed an action that changes your gender highlight if you want to know
sleeping in the coffin in the starting area changes sex.

I totally did do that, and I just assumed nothing happened and I must need a special item to get a result from that particular action.

This is kind of a bummer. I thought it was cool and interesting that this had happened to me but since there isn't any logic leap that explains why doing that action would make THAT happen, now I think its kinda lame.

Plus I wanted to meet
Nito 2.0!

Grisby

I decided to take Grisby's advice and try torches. I went ahead and traveled back to the first bonfire so I could light them and explore. Not such a useless addition after all. Looks really cool walking around in the dark with one as well.
Praise the Sun my good chum. It's the only place I've used them so far.

It shows off the lighting really well like you say.

AngryMoth

Late game question.

Undead crypt. Should I light this sconce? The messages are telling me to but the npc made I sound like something bad is gonna happen...

So I don't know where to go now. So far, I've beaten:

Head to
Harvest Valley from Huntsman's Copse and keep progressing that way. You'll eventually find two more Fragrant Branches and another primal bonfire.

Late game question.

Undead crypt. Should I light this sconce? The messages are telling me to but the npc made I sound like something bad is gonna happen...

Only if you want
Agdayne and his buddies to kick your butt.

Ken

I totally did do that, and I just assumed nothing happened and I must need a special item to get a result from that particular action.

This is kind of a bummer. I thought it was cool and interesting that this had happened to me but since there isn't any logic leap that explains why doing that action would make THAT happen, now I think its kinda lame.

Plus I wanted to meet
Nito 2.0!

oh man
it all makes sense now...

If I want to enchant my weapons, is using resin a viable strategy? I don't know if you can buy them, and if not I'll probably pump some intelligence and attunement

Brohan

Sidequest spoilers:
The Creighton and Pate sidequest, who did you guys killl and which did you think the snake was? I helped Creighton in the end but afterwards he had a pretty maniacal laugh which made me think i might've helped the wrong guy. >.>;

Ken

If I want to enchant my weapons, is using resin a viable strategy? I don't know if you can buy them, and if not I'll probably pump some intelligence and attunement

isn't resin temporary?

Sidequest spoilers:
The Creighton and Pate sidequest, who did you guys killl and which did you think the snake was? I helped Creighton in the end but afterwards he had a pretty maniacal laugh which made me think i might've helped the wrong guy. >.>;

they're both terrible but pate already gave me his armor so i saw no point in helping him

I'm so stoked this game has turned out to be awesome, I had such high hopes for it and it has delivered! It's all back...the punishing difficulty (although it seems easier than before but that might because of my experience with the series), the awesome world design, the monsters (much scarier than previous games), abundance of weapons and play styles, the amazing lore which isn't in your face which makes it that much more mysterious and dark and of course the amazing atmosphere...it's all there. It's basically Dark Souls with more content and that's exactly what I wanted. Dark Souls and it's expansion were perfect and even though they built on the foundations of Demons Souls I preferred the open world layout of Dark Souls much more to the stage format in Demons Souls. It just makes the whole world feel more organic, thought out and cohesive.

I honestly cannot tell you how much fun i'm having, I don't want it to end. I've had a total of 11 hours sleep in just under 4 days but I cannot wait to finish work and go home for another brutal session!

Hopefully the game is as long if not longer than Dark Souls so that it lasts a while. I did 100% the original along with all the DLC so I did get a lot of value from the original game.

I may have screwed myself irrecoverably by choosing the explorer and the useless stat of adaptability, but even so I feel this game is kinda disappointing. Exploration gets cut off before it even starts, and then it's time to do bosses or grind the first level to get more souls. Frustration or boredom, what a choice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom