• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

PIRL0

Neo Member
i got all four
primal bonfires
and dont know where to go now i read somewhere
there is a door which requires magnificent souls
where can i find this door ?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Can't wait to get this and turn it into a Dark weapon.

I just pumped it up along the default path and have been using it to smash bosses in co-op with it by casting Crystal Magic Weapon on it with a Lingering Dragoncrest Ring on. Some of the Infuse options make its stats go kinda weird, so I've been avoiding really messing with it when I can smashy-smash peeps for 750 or so damage per swing.

I like to use the Blue Flame to buff it, so that I'm using a small sword to buff up a much bigger sword. Then I always make sure to use the special attack at least once per co-op session so everybody present knows that mine ain't no counterfeit.

same moveset as in dark souls? I never used it since I never bother with INT, but I loved the moveset..having PVP'd against it all the time

It's actually better. The special attack still has a wind-up, but the actual beam is stupid fast. And using a resin or a Magic Weapon spell on it increases the beam's power, which takes it to a whole 'nother level.

For the first time practically since I realized how nerfed sorcery was I do not regret pumping Int in the slightest. I am stupid strong all of a sudden.

dralla

Damn, I got invaded by 2 people at the same time and took them both out /feelsgoodman. I don't like PvP in these games though, so much lag. I'm in the bell tower covenant too, I'm thinking I should change since I'm not into the PvP.

Now if I cold only figure out where to go next. I don't remember having this problem in DS1. 8 or 9 nine bosses down and have no idea where to head. The world isn't as 'connected' as DS1 so it's easier to lose your way

Brakke

Banned
Kind of in a rut. I'm doing a faith build since I was desperate for heal miracle at the start, but I've only found one miracle seller and been using the same fire sword I found in the forest of giants.

I think I have access to Dark now but I've totally neglected Int...

AngryMoth

So I just beat
Ruin Sentinels
thanks to the help of 2 jolly friends. Took a few tries and even helping others through it many times I only saw success one other time. So far I've beat the following as it seemed like a natural progression:
Last Giant
Pursuer
and
Ruin Sentinels
. Should I check out Heide's Tower before proceeding further into the Bastille? That last boss seemed pretty tough!
Definitely check out heide's tower, it's probably where you're meant to go before that boss you just beat.
You can just run through it all. First time run to the secret bonfire after the worms, once you're there you can run to the fog gate without getting hit if you just stay far from the right wall.
I didn't even know there was a second bonfire there lol. After a couple of runs trying to destroy all the traps I just said fuck it, I want to be done with this area and brought out the speed run strats.

vilmer_

My OG phatty isn't coping with this game too well.

ibt9TqtbVnNdDP.bmp

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
i got all four
primal bonfires
and dont know where to go now i read somewhere
there is a door which requires magnificent souls
where can i find this door ?

Go to the ruined fork bonfire in the woods area. It's one of the 3 paths there.

Hyoukokun

Also, the path I mentioned is all I've explored. Are there any merchants early into the new areas I have available? I have 45,000 souls and really don't want to spend it all on leveling up right now
Definitely wouldn't recommend holding onto that many souls for long - at least bank a couple of them in levels or (if you have the Titanite) gear upgrades. Some of the existing vendors get new stuff as you go along, so check back in and see if any of them have anything you want. Assuming you've got the Hag in Majula, you could always pick up some healing items or a Pharros' lockstone. Another possible good buy: the silver cat ring that lets you fall long(er) distances.

As for new merchants, one that you could get to without a ton of difficulty is accessible
after you beat the Dragonrider in Heide's Tower of Flame
. She sells
miracles and miracle accessories

sixghost

I just pumped it up along the default path and have been using it to smash bosses in co-op with it by casting Crystal Magic Weapon on it with a Lingering Dragoncrest Ring on. Some of the Infuse options make its stats go kinda weird, so I've been avoiding really messing with it when I can smashy-smash peeps for 750 or so damage per swing.

I like to use the Blue Flame to buff it, so that I'm using a small sword to buff up a much bigger sword. Then I always make sure to use the special attack at least once per co-op session so everybody present knows that mine ain't no counterfeit.

It's actually better. The special attack still has a wind-up, but the actual beam is stupid fast. And using a resin or a Magic Weapon spell on it increases the beam's power, which takes it to a whole 'nother level.

For the first time practically since I realized how nerfed sorcery was I do not regret pumping Int in the slightest. I am stupid strong all of a sudden.

You don't think INT is that strong? By the end of the game I was convinced that it was just as broken as in Dark Souls. Once I started finding the Great tier of spells, I was crushing both PvP and PvE with DEX/INT. Souls Spear, Soulmass, Magic weapon, and Soul Geyser all seem really strong. Even Magic Greatsword is good for mixing things up in PvP and clearing big groups in PvE.

use resins, make sure to have to have two summoned phantoms. Take out the first while you're still on the platform, then drop down. Hopefully one of your phantoms should distract the one while you work on the other.

I can try that but another issue I'm facing is that I no longer see soap signs to summon people, played for like 2 hours straight without seeing a single one. I noticed a trend where they pop up more frequently after being summoned yourself but this doesn't seem effective anymore.

I currently have a +1 firesword fyi, seems stronger than bastard? Blah, my progress has been screeched to a halt.

Leezard

When you pick up additional torches do they just add to your torch timer or do you have more to use once your timer runs out? The timer on the only torch I've ever used just ran out and now I can't light one at a bonfire. The thing is, I KNOW I've picked up more torches throughout the game. I'm at a boss that looks like a torch would greatly help too. Where can I get some more? I'm at
Sinner's Rise
They just add to the timer.

I have bad news for you....

Secret walls are accessed by hitting X not clanging swords on them

Sorry man I can't read that cuz I don't want spoilers, but if the post is about finding secret walls/rooms another way then yea...I know of a couple of others. Items and x etc.

If the post is about a trap or some sort of monster appearing while i'm searching for the secret walls....well then I guess i'm in for a surprise....lol.

bronk

Banned
I never left messages in Dark Souls 1 well the few I did never got rated. In this game I LOVE to leave messages. I get all happy when people rate them the notification hasnt bugged me a bit.....maybe it will later :p . What really makes me laugh is the really obnoxious or rude ones I leave get a ton of ratings. Loving everything about this game

Also im gonna start another character a magic build as im pure strength right now. What are your guys opinion on a faith or int build? Which one is better or more fun in your opinion?

And everyone with all the helpful hints thank you.

SJRB

Gold Member
I never left messages in Dark Souls 1 well the few I did never get rated. In this game I LOVE to leave messages. I get all happy when people rate them the notification hasnt bugged me a bit.....maybe it will. What really makes me laugh is the really obnoxious or rude ones I leave get a ton of ratings. Loving everything about this game

Also im gonna start another character magic build. What are your guys opinion on a faith or int build? Which one is better or more fun in your opinion?

What even happens when someone rates your message? I get a popup every now and then and see some sparkles but.. does it do anything?

So I just beat
Ruin Sentinels
thanks to the help of 2 jolly friends. Took a few tries and even helping others through it many times I only saw success one other time. So far I've beat the following as it seemed like a natural progression:
Last Giant
Pursuer
and
Ruin Sentinels
. Should I check out Heide's Tower before proceeding further into the Bastille? That last boss seemed pretty tough!

Also, the path I mentioned is all I've explored. Are there any merchants early into the new areas I have available? I have 45,000 souls and really don't want to spend it all on leveling up right now

You actually fought the first boss and an optional one that opens up a shortcut to a later level. Ruin Sentinels are way above your level at that point.

Heide's Towers is the next official level after the forest so you should check out there. It should be a cakewalk.

Going to see if I have time this week to do a audio comparison with all the games in the series to show how the series went south in the audio department since Demon Souls. I mention last night how bad the audio is in this game compared to DS1. And DS1 was not that great to begin with anyway(but the audio was used well). Certain SFX clip. What speakers I use. Yamaha HS50, Genelecs and Lsi floor standing speakers over a pioneer elite receiver.

sixghost

I never left messages in Dark Souls 1 well the few I did never get rated. In this game I LOVE to leave messages. I get all happy when people rate them the notification hasnt bugged me a bit.....maybe it will. What really makes me laugh is the really obnoxious or rude ones I leave get a ton of ratings. Loving everything about this game

Also im gonna start another character magic build. What are your guys opinion on a faith or int build? Which one is better or more fun in your opinion?

INT is more attack-focused, Faith is more for tanking and healing. They both start out pretty slow, but you basically become a god of death later on with INT.

ironcreed

Banned
You can just run through it all. First time run to the secret bonfire after the worms, once you're there you can run to the fog gate without getting hit if you just stay far from the right wall.

Yeah, I'm done exploring and am going to try that. Think they put enough of those poison statues in the level? Jesus.

Im in the gutter with a million torches and platforms. Ive lit what i believe to be every single torch in the area, and the only path forward i can find is a locked door in a room with pouson traps. But i dont have a key. Did i miss the key, is there a different path forward, or should i come back to this area later?

I'm not enjoying the game that much anymore. I'm feeling rushed a lot now and the level design really is very ugly, the only areas I've liked so far have been your home base, the tomb of giants, and that's it. I'm in the hunters corpse area and I literally just want to leave. Other then the level design the game is great.

Questions about the symbol of the king:

I got the ring in the crypt and have found the three king's gates. The one in the Forest of Fallen Giants leads to another one of those tree giant things and alas, nothing happened... Anything I can do here? Then there's the one in the Shaded Forest that leads to Alida's Keep and the one in the Castle that goes to the Throne of Want. Can I do these in any order or will one of them trigger the end-game and leave me stuck?

Need help..
in Draglaeic Castle. Beat the twin dragonriders and progressed forward. cleared a room of alonne knight captain archers and a mastodon warrior + 2 syra knights or whatever. Exited, cleared another mastodon and a roof of alonne captain archers. opened a gate and a door. Cannot progress. theres a large blue door i cannot seem to open, and the spiral pole that hasn't come done. where to go?

Gorillaz

Im in the gutter with a million torches and platforms. Ive lit what i believe to be every single torch in the area, and the only path forward i can find is a locked door in a room with pouson traps. But i dont have a key. Did i miss the key, is there a different path forward, or should i come back to this area later?

make sure you equip the
silver cat ring for good measure
and keep heading "down". Follow the ladders

Astral

What's the deal with the Armor of Aurous? How do you make it visible? It looks awesome and I'm thinking of upgrading it, but not if it's gonna stay transparent forever.

Ken

Need help..
in Draglaeic Castle. Beat the twin dragonriders and progressed forward. cleared a room of alonne knight captain archers and a mastodon warrior + 2 syra knights or whatever. Exited, cleared another mastodon and a roof of alonne captain archers. opened a gate and a door. Cannot progress. theres a large blue door i cannot seem to open, and the spiral pole that hasn't come done. where to go?

IIRC you go up the ladder, pull a random lever you find up there to get the platform down, climb back down the ladder, and take the now lowered platform up.

What's the deal with the Armor of Aurous? How do you make it visible? It looks awesome and I'm thinking of upgrading it, but not if it's gonna stay transparent forever.

hey man, you know what they say about people who can't see the armor

Guevara

What's the best longsword or straight sword?
I still use my Fire Longsword +5 but it's not doing much anymore. I didn't love the Heide sword, but I could upgrade that I guess.

I'm at level 70, just beat
the Covetous Demon
and looking around for my next area.

Questions about the symbol of the king:

I got the ring in the crypt and have found the three king's gates. The one in the Forest of Fallen Giants leads to another one of those tree giant things and alas, nothing happened... Anything I can do here? Then there's the one in the Shaded Forest that leads to Alida's Keep and the one in the Castle that goes to the Throne of Want. Can I do these in any order or will one of them trigger the end-game and leave me stuck?

Go to the Keep first.

Astral

IIRC you go up the ladder, pull a random lever you find up there to get the platform down, climb back down the ladder, and take the now lowered platform up.

Cheesing through a chunk of the game with arrows isn't cowardly, it's strategy!

Fhtagn

I just killed
the last giant
and now I can't find any other places to go except
Pursuer or Heide's
. Neither of which can happen without more souls, but there's nowhere to go get them, except the
Forest of Fallen Giants, picked clean of everything interesting

Heide's
is way easier than it seems. I was intimidated at first but quickly got the hang of it at very low level.

ironcreed

Banned
Bullshit, running through there is a death sentence. You get blocked by the worms and the guys that pop out of the pools gang up on you.

I'm losing merchants. I haven't seen Melentia or the magic trainer from the
pirate area
in Majula yet, are they in some nook or cranny or should they be easy to spot? I found the miracles merchant.

I never killed all the stone lance guards in the first room. i left one in the corner. I've been in here for hours. lol thanks.

Fhtagn

Bullshit, running through there is a death sentence. You get blocked by the worms and the guys that pop out of the pools gang up on you.

use a secondary weapon that doesn't make you take too much of a step forward to break all of the statues, or most of them anyway, methodically, then methodically kill enemies, and when you find a boss door, look around extremely carefully to find another bonfire. The area is really short, so it's not as bad as it seems.

Gorillaz

brehs

how far along you guys think I am? like percentage wise how much is done?
Forest of Giant's cleared
No Man's Dwarf cleared
Huntsman cleared
Lost cleared
Sinner cleared
Heide tower cleared

I'm at the "valley" level

Ken

I never killed all the stone lance guards in the first room. i left one in the corner. I've been in here for hours. lol thanks.

wait are you talking about the big room directly right of the bonfire? the first room on the right has a path but i can't remember where it goes lol.

I think I'm done with this game. I dunno what happened, but now I have a fucking constant ringing in my left ear and it hasn't gone away in the last couple hours. Couple that with the frustration the game brings (and I've beaten Demon/Dark). Makes me sad too cause I feel like the game won. But, oh wells.

2AdEPT

I feel like am doing something wrong here. My character is the most generic warrior build ever (Health/Stamina/Strength) but most people are choosing a spellcaster for some reason. Am i missing something? is it most easier? Fun? Should i respec?

i think what is happening in "general" is people are gettting beat up with no VIT and ADP, the new near mandatory stats...all stats n crease VGR, END will help with poise but I left on starting explorer level and had more than enough stamina bar for soloing the first two bosses, I doubt many bosses will require as much as the Pursuer (could roll 3 times and swing once which is four actions!!! ADP and maybe even VIT causes you to burn LESS endurance is my guess!!!!), and I only put str/dex in to hold weapons so far as I am using the fire longsword or heide (lightning.)

Mages have always been the go to class if you are having problems, but FROM appeared to nerf them a bit.....best advice is to get your fast roll back with ADP and improve distance with VIT. END will balance poise. The rest is gravy for weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom