• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

GulAtiCa

Hmm, weird. I started my character out as female, or at least I thought I did. I think the character creation tool must be bugged. Feels a little weird to have a guy that has female features for the face + red hair. :lol Oh well, given the state of wearing all armor + undead, not like I noticed till now anyways. Would explain why my undead look had no chest.

Also, this game is both very long and awesome. 40 hours in, lv 90ish, and still really only near the beginning. I love it. Though I reckon I'm prob taking it a little slow to others. For example, the furthest boss I've beaten is Skeleton Lord, and I haven't even tried Sinner or the Gargoyles bosses yet. Either way, I'm really addicted.

P.S. If you summon a co-op for a boss/etc, and he/she dies, does that count as a death for you too? I don't mean as death count, but as far as becoming more hollow. I was facing the Pursuer with a co-op person for help, since the boss was kinda fast, and right before the boss died, my co-op partner hit the bucket. It was not until a little later that I noticed I was Hollow again. And I know I didn't die between then and when I noticed. Weird.

NIN90

Any tips for the sentinels in bastille? First boss fight giving me issues, not to mention just getting there can be a pain.

Dual wielding melee character.

Kill the first one on the platform.
Drop down on the second one which should deal a substantial amount of damage.
After that it's just a matter of patience. Try to let them bunch up and bait them so they both attack at the same time which should get you an opening for one or two attacks.
Most of their attacks are easily dodge-able, except maybe their spin attack.

Here's a shortcut to get there without fighting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej_LqccsuZY

Astral

Kill the first one on the platform.
Drop down on the second one which should deal a substantial amount of damage.
After that it's just a matter of patience. Try to let them bunch up and bait them so they both attack at the same time which should get you an opening for one or two attacks.

This is the best advice you can receive for this boss, really. Patience is key in this fight. Don't get reckless and attack them more than you have to.

Pikelet

I never left messages in Dark Souls 1 well the few I did never got rated. In this game I LOVE to leave messages. I get all happy when people rate them the notification hasnt bugged me a bit.....maybe it will later :p . What really makes me laugh is the really obnoxious or rude ones I leave get a ton of ratings. Loving everything about this game

Also im gonna start another character a magic build as im pure strength right now. What are your guys opinion on a faith or int build? Which one is better or more fun in your opinion?

And everyone with all the helpful hints thank you.
Im in the same boat, love dropping messages. Is there a way to tell which message you placed has been rated though?

Ghazi

after getting trolled by a pharros lock once, I pretty much am highly suspicious of any of them and think about it and look around at the surroundings and the signs before deciding if it's a good idea.

I was talking to someone for like 5 minutes during this area and wasn't paying attention, just pressing prompts. Took me my 3rd one to realize what I was using lol.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
You don't think INT is that strong? By the end of the game I was convinced that it was just as broken as in Dark Souls. Once I started finding the Great tier of spells, I was crushing both PvP and PvE with DEX/INT. Souls Spear, Soulmass, Magic weapon, and Soul Geyser all seem really strong. Even Magic Greatsword is good for mixing things up in PvP and clearing big groups in PvE.

I think it's a strong build now. I didn't think it was a strong build until I got From's signature sword. I don't think sorcery's that strong compared to the first Dark Souls in general, though. The number of casts you get per Attunement slot for most spells is way down which totally neuters a lot of them in terms of damage-per-slot and most spells are too heavily telegraphed to be useful in PvP against an opponent who's not a neophyte at dealing with sorc builds.

Getting bonus Pyromancy damage from Int is great, though. And the Pyro flame's still pretty easy to upgrade. I've mostly been using the Magic Weapon line of spells along with Pyromancy while sword-and-boarding through the game, which is really pretty effective but it's miles away from what I was expecting when I started the game.

That damage makes me pretty jelly - 50faith/+10 Lightning Heide's Knight Sword is giving me about 250~300 damage per swing, less if they're resistant to either slashing or lightning (and there have been a few of those). After going through some ng+ mobs with bonfire ascetic, I'm going to need a better weapon soon.

Hoping that the Dark upgrades help out here.

750 is what I'm doing with the sword at +5, buffed with Crystal Magic Weapon, 2-handed versus enemies that don't resist magic, so it's pretty much ideal conditions. Still utterly pantses what I was doing per hit with my previous, not-nearly-as-good Int-scaling, un-buffable boss soul weapon.

Love this baby. I been showboating in co-op with it for the past hour and a half.

Gorillaz

Where did you find it? I only have like 3 effigies left. I hate being hollow so I might have to resort to this...

no man wharf

From the start, go up the steps past where you first encounter
the monster afraid of the dark
go to the house on the left
2nd floor
hidden behind a bookcase, smash that shit

this ring is definitely a gamechanger

Any boss souls I should be keeping? I have about 4 bosses defeated
last giant, dragon rider, dragon slayer and flexile

I'm pretty much a STR/DEX tank sort of build

brinstar

I managed to summon 2 people for this stupid boss I'm on, and my controller fucking dies as soon as I walk through the mist. I'm so pissed right now, aaatrgghghghfinfifnmkfg

Gorillaz

Can I repair the life of protection ring ?

k2W8isL.png

Raw64life

Dead mans wharf. if you havent gotten there yet you should be able to. early area

Thanks just picked it up. Although I'd still like to know why I'm not regaining humanity after helping someone defeat a boss. I ventured too far into the Iron Keep and got wrecked by the boss but I dropped 30K souls there and I want it back so I need to get human somehow without dying before I give it another shot.

Stoze

So something happened to my character. They were somehow transformed
into a woman!

Don't spoil me on the solution or anything, I'm playing through blindly...I just want to be sure...

Is this a curse or a glitch?

Thanks.

It happened to me a while ago as well, I'm not sure.
My guy looks pretty hot as a girl.

Question: Is there only one bonfire and no boss in The Gutter (not the Gulch)?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
For those who already beat the game, what was your hardest boss fights? mine was:

1-
Darklurker
2-
Smelter Demon
3-
Velstadt the Royal Aegis
4-
Lost Sinner
5-
Nashandra

Grinchy

Banned
no man wharf

From the start, go up the steps past where you first encounter
the monster afraid of the dark
go to the house on the left
2nd floor
hidden behind a bookcase, smash that shit

this ring is definitely a gamechanger

Wow...I can't believe I've had this thing the whole time and never used it. I just assumed that when it broke, it was gone for good. I can't think of the name, but there were rings like that in DS1.

I just tried something new.

I started a new game as a warrior and went straight from Betwix to Majula to pick up the morning star and Estus flask then right to Heide's.
I beat the first boss with ease, with the souls from the boss I bought the Silvercat ring and a better shield and dropped down the hole.
I headed straight for the Rat Vanguard, but sadly got my shit #rekt.

At least I did what I set out to do, beat
Dragonrider
without leveling up. I need to work on my strategy for taking the Rat Vanguard out low level. I'm thinking alluring skulls but I don't know where to get them early in the game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wait, rings that break don't disappear from the game and need only be repaired??

Now that is a downgrade...

halfbeast

Banned
Thanks just picked it up. Although I'd still like to know why I'm not regaining humanity after helping someone defeat a boss. I ventured too far into the Iron Keep and got wrecked by the boss but I dropped 30K souls there and I want it back so I need to get human somehow without dying before I give it another shot.

getting revived for coop is a glitch. you could regain humanity if the host dies or he sends you back via black crystal, etc. - all those things happened to me.

until they fix it, I keep helping out and hoping to get revived.

I figured out how to get the
Covetous Gold Serpent Ring
on accident just because I
really wanted that dumb Jester armor set
. This made me think though....are there rare drops from normal enemies, and if so, how does farming work with the whole despawning enemies thing?

pixlexic

Banned
being a pure magic user is great for a lot of things except for the easy boss fight in the game. The rats is hard a shell with only magic!

Astral

OH GOD FUCK EVERYTHING ABOUT SHRINE
OF AMANA

Lolz. I just shot everything. I can't even imagine playing this game, or any souls game, without a bow. I'm at the final hours of the game and I've just been shooting bosses to death and poisoning every enemy. Come at me Dark Souls II.

Noob Fu

PSA for any interested, if you use those Bonfire Astetics, it carries over to NG+. I used them in a few zones for farming of souls and lizards and when I went to NG+ it showed as "3" while the ones I did not showed as "2". Those few zones I did use them act as NG++ now. So beware or enjoy according to your taste.

Stoze

life of protection ring is game changer. fuck you effigies

Is it? They break after use though (or so it says).

Honestly all the rings that people tout as over powered never really feel that way (like Ring of Binding). Maybe it's because I have 18 effigys stocked up, and only use them when I get to or near half health, which only happens when doing boss attempts. I've gotten invaded more as an undead than in human form so I don't see much of a difference.

My ring layout is usually: Ring of Blades, Ring of Restoration, Covetous Silver Ring, Chloranthy Ring. Switch them out for Silver Cat or Evil Eye Ring when needed.

Dresden

Is it? They break after use though (or so it says).

The thing is, in this game breaking doesn't mean it goes away. You can repair them so it's basically infinite human without effigies if you're not bothered by warping back to repair after each death.

Gorillaz

Guys

the ring breaks upon death
can be repaired back to new for 3000
you keep everything stat wise before the death
EVEN humanity

Idk if it's From giving us a breather or it's a loophole but I would just enjoy it for what it is now

Dresden

Pretty sure it's a loophole, but methods of going human is so limited that I'm not really bothered by people using it.

e: respecced to hex but I didn't realize that the Sunset Staff used twinkling titanite. Getting flashbacks to farming twinkling off clams to upgrade my BKGA back in the early days of Dark.

LordCanti

For those who already beat the game, what was your hardest boss fights? mine was:

1-
Darklurker
2-
Smelter Demon
3-
Velstadt the Royal Aegis
4-
Lost Sinner
5-
Nashandra

Smelter
Lost Sinner.
Nashandra.

Honestly the most trouble I had with any boss was the
Pursuer
. No one was around to be summoned yet when I did it and my gear/stats/etc were still early game junk. Almost everyone, without fail, can be
circle strafed or roll dodged. I was actually kind of bummed how many "big dude, big sword, small-ish room" fights there were in the game. Nash was only tough because getting close to her caused curse and I was melee.

The boss that pissed me off the most was the
Aegis, due to the incredibly long run back to the fog door (with a bunch of enemies in the way).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom