• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
Guide to Dark Souls NPCs:

1. Does the NPC have breasts?
2. Does the NPC look human?
3. If yes to 1 and 2, leave perverted messages.
4. If no to 1 or 2, leave "Wretch ahead" messages.

Guilty. When I found the girl in Harvest Valley, before even talking to her I set out to leave the most perverted message I could possibly concoct. settled on "try tongue and then try hole".

sixghost

I think it's a strong build now. I didn't think it was a strong build until I got From's signature sword. I don't think sorcery's that strong compared to the first Dark Souls in general, though. The number of casts you get per Attunement slot for most spells is way down which totally neuters a lot of them in terms of damage-per-slot and most spells are too heavily telegraphed to be useful in PvP against an opponent who's not a neophyte at dealing with sorc builds.

Getting bonus Pyromancy damage from Int is great, though. And the Pyro flame's still pretty easy to upgrade. I've mostly been using the Magic Weapon line of spells along with Pyromancy while sword-and-boarding through the game, which is really pretty effective but it's miles away from what I was expecting when I started the game.

750 is what I'm doing with the sword at +5, buffed with Crystal Magic Weapon, 2-handed versus enemies that don't resist magic, so it's pretty much ideal conditions. Still utterly pantses what I was doing per hit with my previous, not-nearly-as-good Int-scaling, un-buffable boss soul weapon.

Love this baby. I been showboating in co-op with it for the past hour and a half.

Are you in NG+, or did you do the Bonfire Ascetic trick to get the drop early? Also, does pyromancy only scale with INT, or does it require some Faith too? I need to try that.

Filth

Can someone tell me where I can get the lowest staff? I leveled int to 10 so I can buff my great sword. But I can't find a useable staff

This game is so much easier than the previous souls games so far. I'm pretty far I think,
doors of Pharos,
and there have been 2 difficult boss fights.
Sentries and the prisoner girl at the first primal bonfire
. Anyone else feeling this or have I just played too many souls games? Nothing here compares to the dark souls dlc in either quality or difficulty. I've never 1 or 2 shotted so many bosses...like the last 5 or 6 in a row and I don't feel I'm that good.

I basically just 2h, roll, and murder.

I did put 50 into Dex and 24 so far in adp so maybe that helps dish out the damage real quick? Using blacksteel katana +10.

It's not diminishing the game much for me though. I'm still having a blast. I just wish more of these fights were less dodge roll-->stab, And more of something else.

I'm finding it kinda easy too. I checked the statue in Majula while offline, I've died 39 times over 15 hours.

I put it down to experience mostly. Especially when it comes to boss fights. Block + Circle strafe then bait attack & punish will get you through most boss fights in the first 2 games and carries over in DSII.

Also I think the enemy placement is a little lazy. There's quite a few bodies on the ground that get up when you walk past and once you fall for it once, you never fall for it again.
The problem is they use that "trap" a lot and it doesn't work anymore.

The enemy placement in the previous games seemed more creative in ways it wanted to gank the player.

Goddamn, it is really bothering me how those big white troll things are so formidable the entire way through the game. I really didn't think the grab attack would still be a one hit death.

Stupid hallway in stupid Alida's Keep with its stupid crumbling walls and the stupid guys behind the paintings. It's stupid!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
it helps get you back to a more DS1 style of dodging and moving yes

Wait how?

I started socery but with the intent of building Str and Dex a bit so I could get decent weapons and armor, before turning to Int for spell damage... Neglecting Adaptability since I didn't really understand it... Rolling and speed is my preferred melee approach tho

fedexpeon

Banned
Can anyone help me with this? last pyromancy needed for the achievement :/

Reward from Navlaan in Aldia's Keep.
He will tell you to kill NPC, and will reward you for it.
So before you start a NG, be sure to murder all of them and come back to him.
Then murder him afterward too :p

The framerate in this game is really bad at times.

It's consistently bad all the time. Like 24-26FPS for the most part (PS3 version) and then dips lower depending on the area. I have had Blightown levels of drops yet at least.
Still not as bad as Dragon's Dogma at least.
I'm anxiously awaiting the PC version. Even if it comes without the bells and whistles, a solid frame rate and 1080p will more than do this game justice.

I'm surprised they upped the resolution from Dark Souls to 1280x720. I would have preferred blurrier image quality and a higher frame rate.

Fhtagn

Wait how?

I started socery but with the intent of building Str and Dex a bit so I could get decent weapons and armor, before turning to Int for spell damage... Neglecting Adaptability since I didn't really understand it... Rolling and speed is my preferred melee approach tho

agility is the stat that affects your speed at drinking flasks among other things (people are still figuring it all out), and agility is affected by ADP and ATT.

Wait how?

I'm a Sorcerer and physical melee hybrid (I got STR/DEX up enough to use the Flame and Heide Sword as well as a 100% block shield - the one after
Pursuer
). I do recommend leveling up ADP a bit if you intend to dodge a lot. I have leveled mine up a decent amount, and everything just feels better and more like Dark Souls 1 in general. I like the stat. The rest of my points have been in Attunement, INT, and some health/stamina.

Oh shit. The Smelter Demon just demolished me. Hardest fight yet for sure.

Definitely. I was caught off guard myself. Died a few times. A tip:
stay close to him and assuming you are fairly light, you can roll dodge most of his attacks. It's especially critical to dodge his attacks after his sword turns to flame.

So... I'm still using the starter Sorcerer staff (+5 version currently). No other staff I have come across seems as good or useful. Am I missing a really great staff somewhere? I don't want to keep leveling up the base one if there's something else out there that's better. Preferably one that doesn't require a lot of points in Faith.

ok, I have to ask...how do you do it?

Light the torch at the second bonfire in Earthen Peaks, walk outside of the bonfire room and go to the edge and you can walk up on the ledge. There should be a prompt to "Light" the windmill.

mr.beers

You can kill them mid jump which is very useful. Don't bother guarding just kill them as fast as you can and retreat if you get too many on you.

I took the route of killing them with throwing knives, 2 and they are done. Throwing knives are very effective in this game killed Wharf boss with them.

Darkrider

Can someone explain how being summoned into another person's game sometimes causes me to revive to human upon return to my own game, and sometimes does not?

I don't get it.

When will I find a weapon worthy of replacing the mace that I got near the beginning of the game? It's upgraded to +5, but all the weapons I find are either not very good compared to it, or way too heavy. I've gotten all the way to Black Gulch, and I still can't find any better weapons.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Just had a terrible thought... eventually i will have to beat
Shrine of Amana again, this time on NG+

ijkH5AnJEAf9y.gif

I seriously think I am the worst player in this game.There is no player worse then me. Every single time I invade or get invaded I'm killed instantly. Even the first boss was able to effortlessly kill me.

Artorias

Banned
I just finished the final boss. Fucking incredible game. I feel like I've been on edge for 5 days. I explored a lot and took my time. I'm just in awe. I've always loved coop in the Souls games but its never been so worthwhile and satisfying with randoms. I'm just getting started though. I'm gonna start playing with my cousins soon as we've done for all the other souls games. One of them is dual wielding whips he said. It's going to be awesome.

One question, I'll spoiler tag it in case its story based and I wasn't paying attention.

I got dropped back in Majula but I'm hollowed? I found that odd. I was alive for the fights.

Neiteio

Waiting for the PC version before I even consider diving into this game, but I'd like to know -- How do you guys think it stacks up to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1?

-MD-

Y'all saying shrine of amana is hard.

Alol casuls.

Bow snipe

Can't really trust anything anyone says about Soul's difficulty, I'd heard people talking for months about how "brutal" Capra demon in Dark Souls was and I literally walked into his room with no knowledge of the layout or how to fight him, walked up the stairs and stood there and shot at him until he died.

How is it even possible to successfully invade? The defenders are always so fucking OP. Am I just that shitty at this game? I can't heal, but, they spam flasks and it's a hopeless battle. Please someone tell me I'm not wrong and invasions are pointless.

sixghost

Pretty sure it's a loophole, but methods of going human is so limited that I'm not really bothered by people using it.

e: respecced to hex but I didn't realize that the Sunset Staff used twinkling titanite. Getting flashbacks to farming twinkling off clams to upgrade my BKGA back in the early days of Dark.
Did you clear
Dragon Aerie
(late game area) yet? There are tons and tons of crystal lizards near the big dragons. I think they even respawn.

For those who already beat the game, what was your hardest boss fights? mine was:

1-
Darklurker
2-
Smelter Demon
3-
Velstadt the Royal Aegis
4-
Lost Sinner
5-
Nashandra

Mine were:
1. Lost Sinner
2. Pursuer
3. Belfry Gargoyles
4. 3 Sentinels
5. Mytha, the Baneful Queen (without draining the poison)
I wasn't a very tanky character, so I really struggled with the smaller, faster bosses that wouldn't let me spam spells at them.

Waiting for the PC version before I even consider diving into this game, but I'd like to know -- How do you guys think it stacks up to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1?

I have a few minor gripes with the game, but I'm having a blast. It stacks up just fine with the other Souls games. I think it's on par with Dark Souls (better in some areas, worse in others). Better than Demon's Souls.

What staff did you guys use after the starting one? Was gonna buy the archdrake one but dat 15FTH requirement :(

I've been looking for a good one for a while. Where do you buy the Archdrake one? The Faith requirement is such a turn off, though. :/

sixghost

So... I'm still using the starter Sorcerer staff (+5 version currently). No other staff I have come across seems as good or useful. Am I missing a really great staff somewhere? I don't want to keep leveling up the base one if there's something else out there that's better. Preferably one that doesn't require a lot of points in Faith.

It takes a while to find a staff better than the starter. I'd say just upgrade that one as much as you can, then you'll find a couple that are much, much better in the back half of the game. The merchant on the way to Huntsman Copse sells a good staff, but he requires like 8 faith to unluck, and fuck that.

What staff did you guys use after the starting one? Was gonna buy the archdrake one but dat 15FTH requirement :(
I used the
Staff of Amana
, which is found in the
Shrine of Amana
, dropping from one of the white mages there. After that I used the
Staff of Wisdom
, which is in a chest in the
Dragon Shrine.
The second one is easily the best staff in the game, I think. It does such ridiculous damage at +10 and 50 INT.

Garland7G

Light the torch at the second bonfire in Earthen Peaks, walk outside of the bonfire room and go to the edge and you can walk up on the ledge. There should be a prompt to "Light" the windmill.

hah, so easy yet it eluded me, I should mention, I've never used the torch and have about an hour and a half of torch time lol.

Gorillaz

How is it even possible to successfully invade? The defenders are always so fucking OP. Am I just that shitty at this game? I can't heal, but, they spam flasks and it's a hopeless battle. Please someone tell me I'm not wrong and invasions are pointless.

they are pointless bro

Not as good because the hit boxes are random and most bosses are easy. Still better than 99% of non-Souls games tho.
It takes a while to find a staff better than the starter. I'd say just upgrade that one as much as you can, then you'll find a couple that are much, much better in the back half of the game. The merchant on the way to Huntsman Copse sells a good staff, but he requires like 8 faith to unluck, and fuck that.

I used the
Staff of Amana
, which is found in the
Shrine of Amana
, dropping from one of the white mages there. After that I used the
Staff of Wisdom
, which is in a chest in the
Dragon Shrine.
The second one is easily the best staff in the game, I think. It does such ridiculous damage at +10 and 50 INT.
Disappointing. Guess I'll upgrade this crap

Hmm, does the staff the merchant sells require 8 faith or just to get the npc to sell it? Which staff does she sell, anyways? What's the name if you remember? :x

hah, so easy yet it eluded me, I should mention, I've never used the torch and have about an hour and a half of torch time lol.

haha, it's okay. I probably wouldn't have known if not for the messages written on the floor at the ledge. I have over an hour of torch time as well and have yet to use mine except to light the windmill. I thought the game would have a lot more dark areas based on the previews.

kairu

I just got all the way to the bottom of
The Gutter
and found
The Black Gulch
. Was half way though the level before realizing that some of the things that looked like broken statues were actually torches. ;_;

Also, I didn't run into a boss room. Is there no boss in
The Gutter
? There was a door I found that I didn't have a key to. Not looking forward to going back there to open it once I get some more keys.

sixghost

Either stay on their ass so they can't get an estus off, or go be a real invader and use the level to your advantage. Make them fight you in areas with enemies, or if you're in the bell covenant, run away until someone else invades them too.
Hmm, does the staff the merchant sells require 8 faith or just to get the npc to sell it? Which staff does she sell, anyways? What's the name if you remember? :x

haha, it's okay. I probably wouldn't have known if not for the messages written on the floor at the ledge. I have over an hour of torch time as well and have yet to use mine except to light the windmill. I thought the game would have a lot more dark areas based on the previews.
It's the Archdrake Staff. stfuppercut above said that it has a 15 faith requirement, but I never ever unlocked the vendor, so I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom