• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

emb

I have a few minor gripes with the game, but I'm having a blast. It stacks up just fine with the other Souls games. I think it's on par with Dark Souls (better in some areas, worse in others). Better than Demon's Souls.
This is almost word for word my opinion. Only difference is that I'd say it's on par with Demon's, and Dark 1 is just slightly above the other two. All three are really close and really great though.

Ok I got so confused going through
lost bastille
I felt like I was going further and further down a rabbit hole

Also where do I get something to get passed
the petrified statues?

Waiting for the PC version before I even consider diving into this game, but I'd like to know -- How do you guys think it stacks up to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1?

It's... different.

The world doesn't feel as cohesive as Lordran did in Dark Souls, by that I mean the map layout doesn't seem to be physically plausible. It's just not as tightly weaved together.

I also think the controls aren't as tight. I've brought it up in the thread already, but I think the input buffer has definitely been downgraded in this game.

Overall, I think it still stacks up really well with DeS and DaS. It's still challenging, It still has great atmosphere, it still has cool boss fights, it's still a Souls game.

Ferrio

Banned
Well think I helped enough people in earthen today.
So many windmills were burnt

Also I'm liking power stancing Caestus. My dex/str is split down the middle due to the requirements to powerstance a ultragreatsword. Since the Caestus have an A/B by default they scale quite nicely. The light attack is nice too.

Really don't like how you don't gain humanity when helping people... that was my favorite thing of demon souls :(

Waiting for the PC version before I even consider diving into this game, but I'd like to know -- How do you guys think it stacks up to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1?

Best level design out of the series imo. Also the longest Souls game. Bosses are combat mechanics-focused humanoid enemies for the most part, which I enjoy. Fast travel is really nice. Also some really nice PvP opportunities with the bell keeper and rat covenants. Dedicated servers help a ton. World structure is a hybrid of Demon's and Dark, with multiple linear routes to take ala Demon's that are entered organically without a level select screen, like in Dark. Most of the routes are LONG though, so it doesn't feel like picking from a set of "levels" - most of the routes feel like they take you to the edge of the world. The game sprawls and sprawls with seemingly no end. I think you'll like it a lot :)

cheezcake

Soooooooooo

Is there a lightweight shield better than the large leather shield? Because I'm pretty damn late game and I've yet to find one

It's... different.

The world doesn't feel as cohesive as Lordran did in Dark Souls, by that I mean the map layout doesn't seem to be physically plausible. It's just not as tightly weaved together.

This is really my main complaint about the game. The world feels a lot more linear in the sense that once you start on one path from the hub, you keep going until you reach a dead-end and then return to the hub (via bonfire) to go another direction. Kind of reminds me of Demon's Souls in that way. The game lacks the cohesive and interconnected world that Dark Souls 1 had, imo. My mind was blown several times while playing DS1 when I would stumble upon a shortcut that wrapped back into Firelink Shrine or some other area. That rarely (if ever) happens in Dark Souls II. Most of the shortcuts in the game are inter-level shortcuts.

Soooooooooo

Is there a lightweight shield better than the large leather shield? Because I'm pretty damn late game and I've yet to find one

I just use the Drangleic Shield. It's not super light, but it's also not super heavy. It's the lightest 100% physical reduction shield I've found so far (requires 16 strength, though).

Robot Pants

This is really my main complaint about the game. The world feels a lot more linear in the sense that once you start on one path from the hub, you keep going until you reach a dead-end and then return to the hub (via bonfire) to go another direction. Kind of reminds me of Demon's Souls in that way. The game lacks the cohesive and interconnected world that Dark Souls 1 had, imo. My mind was blown several times while playing DS1 when I would stumble upon a shortcut that wrapped back into Firelink Shrine or some other area. That rarely (if ever) happens in Dark Souls II. Most of the shortcuts in the game are inter-level shortcuts.

Yup.
God damn I miss that feeling of finding a path back to Firelink. This game definitely lacks that.

Eusis

The
Crumbled Ruins
, oh how I hate thee.
Homing missiles and water and archdrake knights
. This section is bullshit.
Yeah, feels like when the game wants to be bullshit it's generally pretty unfair bullshit. It's just not an interesting area either, just a gauntlet. At least the drops are good.

... I wonder if there IS an equivalent to the thief's ring in this game or no. I'm guessing not, but if I just haven't found it that could make some of these areas less bullshit.

Chake

Banned
I was so close to beat the
three skeleton bros, then these random pinwheels came out of now where. The phantom i summoned did most of the work, and i died with the boss having 15% left

Feels bad, man.

Ghazi

Where can I go to sell items? The guy in
No Man's Wharf
isn't there anymore.

Also, damn, finally got the Elite Knight Set and it's much worse than what I already have, aside from weight. I want to wear it so bad, because it looks awesome :(

Personally, this game is even with Dark Souls if not better. It's way better than Demon's IMO. There are some flaws I hope get addressed with patching (I feel durability should be looked into, as well as the ability to regain human form/obtain Human Effigies from successful co-op like the old games) but overall I love it. I really like that this game feels more like King's Field than either of the other games.

njean777

I have a few minor gripes with the game, but I'm having a blast. It stacks up just fine with the other Souls games. I think it's on par with Dark Souls (better in some areas, worse in others). Better than Demon's Souls.

I've been looking for a good one for a while. Where do you buy the Archdrake one? The Faith requirement is such a turn off, though. :/

I feel the same exact way about the game.

One question I still have is: Where do I get soul vessels? I asked earlier but never got an answer...

NVM I found out where to get them.

I was so close to beat the
three skeleton bros, then these random pinwheels came out of now where. The phantom i summoned did most of the work, and i died with the boss having 15% left

Feels bad, man.

Just so you know,
don't kill the those bosses too quickly one after another. When one of the Skeleton bosses die, they spawn either skeleton soldiers or pinwheel enemies. Those enemies are actually part of the health bar. So kill one Skeleton boss, wait for enemies to spawn, kill the small enemies. Kill another Skeleton lord, kill small enemies that spawn, and repeat. If you kill the 3 skeleton lords too fast, you'll get overwhelmed with all the adds they spawn.

I was wondering where the spell vendor went myself. He is supposed to be in Majula but I have no clue where he went.

He goes to the edge of a cliff a little south of the tower in Majula. Basically on the other side of the rocks next to the blacksmith's shop.

Ferrio

Banned
Wish these wiki sites had the damn bonuses for the weapon upgrades... don't wanna spend stones on weapons until I know what bonuses they get.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

I've noticed this and have actually been talking about it with someone else playing through the game right now. I don't know if I can consider it a lack on the game's part though. It's very purposefully a callback to Demon's Souls - Majula is much more like the Nexus as a refugee camp. You've got the blind maiden stand-in. The way the health mechanic works, etc.

I don't necessarily mind a game series not just being iterative improvements - Dark Souls 1 can remain what it is, virtually Symphony of the Night in 3D, a dungeon delve into what is effectively a giant dungeon-city. This game is more spread out, a fusion of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I really hope keeping my equip load below 25% is the fastest roll threshold, because it is actually very tiresome and I would be upset if it was like..35% or something.

Persona7

Banned
Where can I go to sell items? The guy in
No Man's Wharf
isn't there anymore.

Also, damn, finally got the Elite Knight Set and it's much worse than what I already have, aside from weight. I want to wear it so bad, because it looks awesome :(

He moves to
Harvest Valley
after you talk to him enough times.

Raxus

I really hope keeping my equip load below 25% is the fastest roll threshold, because it is actually very tiresome and I would be upset if it was like..35% or something.

69.9% seems to be the limit now. unless you wear no armor you only get 1 more frame of invincibility. It is less of a headache if you wear better armor. Trust me.

void666

Banned
Ok, i give up. I'm tottaly lost. Explored everything many times but i can't figure out what to do next.

I have two fat souls:
rotten and sinner

Please help.

I've noticed this and have actually been talking about it with someone else playing through the game right now. I don't know if I can consider it a lack on the game's part though. It's very purposefully a callback to Demon's Souls - Majula is much more like the Nexus as a refugee camp. You've got the blind maiden stand-in. The way the health mechanic works, etc.

I don't necessarily mind a game series not just being iterative improvements - Dark Souls 1 can remain what it is, virtually Symphony of the Night in 3D, a dungeon delve into what is effectively a giant dungeon-city. This game is more spread out, a fusion of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1.

Oh I definitely think a lot of the design decisions were made to mirror Demon's Souls (especially the ones you listed in the first paragraph). I just prefer the way Dark Souls 1 had its world. *shrug*

I dunno, being completely nude and having 47% equip load didn't seem to make any big improvements. It was only after I went over 50% that my rolls felt a little slower. I'm probably wrong, though.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
69.9% seems to be the limit now. unless you wear no armor you only get 1 more frame of invincibility. It is less of a headache if you wear better armor. Trust me.

frames of invincibility =/= roll distance. there are a wide variety, whether you can see the difference or not. Getting out of range of attacks is very important to me.

Alebelly

I was watching a video from a dude who was one of the Future Press guide team on DS2, he said roll speed is the same from 0-69. The only change is roll distance.

Chake

Banned
Just so you know,
don't kill the those bosses too quickly one after another. When one of the Skeleton bosses die, they spawn either skeleton soldiers or pinwheel enemies. Those enemies are actually part of the health bar. So kill one Skeleton boss, wait for enemies to spawn, kill the small enemies. Kill another Skeleton lord, kill small enemies that spawn, and repeat. If you kill the 3 skeleton lords too fast, you'll get overwhelmed with all the adds they spawn.

Thanks! No wonder the other attacked the same one, and i (idiotically) went and backstabbed the other two, lol.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Oh I definitely think a lot of the design decisions were made to mirror Demon's Souls (especially the ones you listed in the first paragraph). I just prefer the way Dark Souls 1 had its world. *shrug*

Nothing wrong with preferences. It's a good thing these games are so replayable. I started a fresh character in Demon's Souls the other night in fact, feels like the game hasn't really aged a day.

Obscura

Twice now I've seen a red summon sign outside the second bonfire in Huntsman's Copse that allow me to summon a dark spirit. Is this some form of optional PVP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom