• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
So question about the red covenant.

Seems to join you need a token of spite.. which you get by invading and winning. So if you fuck up all your invades you're screwed? The total lack of red eye orbs is really fucking lame

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
You can do a test with those guidance stone. stand with your back to a wall, then roll, and place the stone. Do that with different equipment weights to test distance.

Good idea. I have been trying to memorize where in the environment I ended up and felt like 25% was the best, but that seems more conclusive, thanks!

Kusagari

This is really my main complaint about the game. The world feels a lot more linear in the sense that once you start on one path from the hub, you keep going until you reach a dead-end and then return to the hub (via bonfire) to go another direction. Kind of reminds me of Demon's Souls in that way. The game lacks the cohesive and interconnected world that Dark Souls 1 had, imo. My mind was blown several times while playing DS1 when I would stumble upon a shortcut that wrapped back into Firelink Shrine or some other area. That rarely (if ever) happens in Dark Souls II. Most of the shortcuts in the game are inter-level shortcuts.

I prefer the connected feeling of Dark Souls but I understand what they were going for in this game. Majula is the center of the world in Dark Souls 2 and leads to every other area in the game in some way or the other. The world isn't meant to feel interconnected here. It's meant to feel like you're constantly going on a long pilgrimage from Majula to the other side of the world.

The
Huntsman Copse-Harvest Valley- Earthen Peak-Iron Keep
journey is probably the best example.

Baliis

Twice now I've seen a red summon sign outside the second bonfire in Huntsman's Copse that allow me to summon a dark spirit. Is this some form of optional PVP?

You can drop a red sign so that people can summon you for pvp. That way you know you're getting someone that wants a fight rather than just invading random people. Lets you set up pvp events and things like that also

As a pure caster I had a hell of a hard time with
The Sinner
. Could not stay locked on and my character kept turning around while back stepping. Finally after about 25 tries I killed him. Shortly after I found the
Bastille key which let's you light up the torches in the room
. Would've made the fight a hell of a lot easier. I hadn't realized the darkness of an area affects the distance you can stay locked on.

Other than him I haven't had much trouble with bosses. Think he was the 10th or 11th boss I've faced. Now I have to choose between the
the giant brown thing with a cleaver or the church with the priests

cheezcake

Is there a way to increase the occurrence of summon signs in your own world?

I'm putting my summon summon down for a boss fight and consistently getting summoned every ~30 seconds, but I can't see a single summon sign in my own world =(

I am human before someone asks :p

Ugh, katana has one of the worst durability.

Bracing Knuckle Ring, my dude.

So question about the red covenant.

Seems to join you need a token of spite.. which you get by invading and winning. So if you fuck up all your invades you're screwed? The total lack of red eye orbs is really fucking lame

You can get one for free in
Grave of Saints after killing the rat king boss, just before entering The Gutter.

What is up with this Moon Sickle Phantom in Earthen? It hits through my shield and I can't avoid its attack because the room is tiny.

Back him to the staircase, bait his attack, move back/backroll and counter.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
So for anyone wondering 30% equip load allows you furthest possible roll. I didn't test exactly 35% but 40% gives you a slightly shorter distance.

props to Alebelly for the idea

edit: anything above 30% is not optimal.

Obscura

You can drop a red sign so that people can summon you for pvp. That way you know you're getting someone that wants a fight rather than just invading random people. Lets you set up pvp events and things like that also

Thanks. Surprised I hadn't heard of that yet. Very cool.

Zeliard

What is up with this
Moon Sickle Phantom
in Earthen? It hits through my shield and I can't avoid its attack because the room is tiny.

You can roll away from his attacks pretty effectively, then punish him during his recovery animation. You should have enough room in the area leading to that corridor.

But yeah I imagine that fight would be pretty tricky for shield-centric characters.

GulAtiCa

Guide to Dark Souls NPCs:

1. Does the NPC have breasts?
2. Does the NPC look human?
3. If yes to 1 and 2, leave perverted messages.
4. If no to 1 or 2, leave "Wretch ahead" messages.

Like the "Hurray for chest ahead" or so message related to a certain female merchant. heh

TwistedMind

Neo Member
Is the pvp community going to settle on 120 level-cap like the past souls games ! it seems so low for this game (at least for me ) since it doesn't allow you to be more specialized and stand in the battle for more than few seconds .

ironcreed

Banned
Calling it a night on Smelter Demon. I'll tackle him tomorrow. I got some solid play in and made some decent progress today. This game is just an absolute beast.

Nose Master

So are the random
red phantoms
just mobs? I've ran into a few of them so far, and they don't seem to drop anything nor do I get the
NPC invasion message

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Every time I start up the game and it says "checking for calibrations" I think of Garrus the homie from Mass Effect

1358725137042.png

sixghost

Is the pvp community going to settle on 120 level-cap like the past souls games ! it seems so low for this game (at least for me ) since it doesn't allow you to be more specialized and stand in the battle for more than few seconds .

I can't imagine it will be 120 in this game. I think most people probably finish the game around 150.

So uh,
the girl you give clothes to? Yeah... I uh, you know thiose busty pyromancers? I might've given her their top..

Welp, I've killed everything except... whatever is left at the end I guess? I'm just not sure where
the king is.

Does anyone know yet what is a good Agility number to have? I put a decent amount of points in both Attunement and ADP and I'm almost at 100 Agility. Is there any certain cap I should be aiming or is it too soon to tell?

Well shit. I can't find her anywhere near the bonefire. Maybe she died... but from what??
Did she move out front of where you found her? Did she disappear after that? That is what happened to me. I went and beat another boss and she finally appeared at the bottom of the staircase where the crestfallen guy is.

Persona7

Banned
Is there a way to increase the occurrence of summon signs in your own world?

I'm putting my summon summon down for a boss fight and consistently getting summoned every ~30 seconds, but I can't see a single summon sign in my own world =(

I am human before someone asks :p

Did you join the Champions covenent? It disables summoning. I am not sure if you can put your sign down though...Are you on PS3 or 360?

Dresden

Anyways, enjoying this hexer build - grabbed the Sunset Staff, grinded twinkling titanite to raise it to +5, infused it with a Darknight stone, and with 40int/30faith it's up to 775atk/319 bonus dark damage.

Dark Orb is a cheap one slot ranged option with 24 casts per slot/500 damage per orb, and Dark Hail is just a weaker version of Dark Bead from DkS1, which means it's still damn good. The latter is especially appreciated for taking down heavy opponents up close. Haven't been able to play around with the other hexes yet, especially the ones requiring souls to cast.

Now I just need a good melee weapon to go Dark with.

Dorrin

Level 40 pure caster at the sentinels. 20 att, 20 in, 12 faith. Even with summons I'm not having a lot of luck. Can I bypass these guys till I get some better spells?

Man, the
Ruin Sentinels
just stonewall me. Since running into them days ago, I've cleared out
Heide's Tower, No Man's Wharf and the Gutter
, and I still can't manage to beat them.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Anyways, enjoying this hexer build - grabbed the Sunset Staff, grinded twinkling titanite to raise it to +5, infused it with a Darknight stone, and with 40int/30faith it's up to 775atk/319 bonus dark damage.

Dark Orb is a cheap one slot ranged option with 24 casts per slot/500 damage per orb, and Dark Hail is just a weaker version of Dark Bead from DkS1, which means it's still damn good. The latter is especially appreciated for taking down heavy opponents up close. Haven't been able to play around with the other hexes yet, especially the ones requiring souls to cast.

You should check this out
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/693331-dark-souls-ii/68799173

gdt

Ruin Sentinels weren't too bad for me. Take out the first one, plunge attack whichever gets closest. Then MAKE FUCKING SURE you don't get in between them. Keep them both in front of you and keep that shield up. Then attack slowly but surely when you get a chance.

sixghost

Level 40 pure caster at the sentinels. 20 att, 20 in, 12 faith. Even with summons I'm not having a lot of luck. Can I bypass these guys till I get some better spells?

Yeah, there are plenty of places you can do before them. If you really want to beat them now though, summon 2 human players and just try to survive the fight against the initial sentinel on the platform. Once that's done, you can just stand up on the platform while the other two guys go down and distract the sentinels while you spam soul arrows.

Ruin Sentinels weren't too bad for me. Take out the first one, plunge attack whichever gets closest. Then MAKE FUCKING SURE you don't get in between them. Keep them both in front of you and keep that shield up. Then attack slowly but surely when you get a chance.

I have trouble managing the both of them when on the ground. The best opening to attack seems to be after you sideroll dodge their jumping strike, but it's tough to find opportunities to attack when it's buddy is guarding his back.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I fell into the gender swapping troll

I was wtf at first

good show FROM :)

I destroyed the Sentinels, the club is still kicking ass.

Arcayne

I rolled Cleric for the purpose of trying out hex/dark magic. I didn't pump any points into INT, hoping that FAITH alone would suffice, but I'm getting the impression that I need both INT and FAITH for hex now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom