• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filth

I hit a road block. Some1 late game guide me
i made it to the top and talked to the dragon. He gave me a key. I need to know where to use that And is their a bonfire close by so I don't have to make that run up the stairs to see him again?

jyoung188

Fuuuuuck... I accidentally killed
the merchant Gavlan in No-Man's Wharf :( am I screwed? I saw a message on the ground outside that building that implied a good snipe spot or something like that and I saw a big guy with what looked like two huge axes so I shot him with arrows and killed him then it autosaved. I then cleared the building and went up there and saw "merchant ahead" sign on the floor. I looked him up in the guide and I guess he allows you to sell stuff :( how big is that in this game? Do you get a lot of souls for selling stuff? is there other merchants you can sell too?
I'm 15 hours in and thinking about starting over....

Czigga

hey I'm trying to get summoned as a blue phantom ( I'm in the blue covenant) but it's never happened. is there anything I'm supposed to do or anywhere to go to get summoned? I'm wearing the blue ring and am not hollow.

Farooq

Banned
I rolled Cleric for the purpose of trying out hex/dark magic. I didn't pump any points into INT, hoping that FAITH alone would suffice, but I'm getting the impression that I need both INT and FAITH for hex now?

Raising the lower of the two stats will increase your Dark Bonus. If you have 6 Int and 3 Faith, raising Int won't increase your dark bonus, but raising Faith up to Int's level will(or vice versa). They work together to raise your dark bonus, but the game only uses the lowest of the two stats to calculate the bonus. So it would be better to have 30 Faith and 30 Int, versus 40 Faith and 20 Int.

Does that make sense?

TheMink

I think people get pretty impressed when i take on two tower guards myself with zero damge.

The secret is that they look far more intimidating than they are :p

Deitus

Is
Dragonrider
supposed to be a complete pushover? Based on the basic enemies in Heide's Tower, I was assuming it was a higher level area, so I didn't push very far in early on. Then I got frustrated by
The Three Sentinels
, so I decided to try Heide's again. The giant knights still pack quite a punch if I miss a dodge (4 vigor doesn't leave a lot of room for error), but I managed to take them on. But, other than having a decent amount of health,
Dragonrider
was actually easier than the basic enemies in this area. He did manage to hit me once, but it did less than 20% of my health, and I have only 800 health (and in light armor no less).

Anyway, I'm playing a Swordsman, almost exclusively dual wielding, almost never using shields, and building DEX. I rushed to get both ADP and END to 20, and to get enough STR and DEX to dual wield Falchions, but I haven't touched any of the other stats. But now I'm not sure what stat I should be focusing on for the time being. I know I'll need to get DEX to 40 eventually, but since stat scaling seems pretty poor so far, I don't see the point in prioritizing that yet. Should I just get ADP up to 38 ASAP?

On that note, has anyone found a video comparison of the effect of equip weight and adaptability on dodge rolls? I have done some testing of my own with taking off and putting on heavy armor, and come up with some basic findings, but it would be nice to see a side by side comparison. And I can't really do much testing of adaptability, other than my rolls feel much better at 20 ADP than they did at 6. But that doesn't do much to tell me if it's worth investing another 18 points in it.

Oh snap, just found out you can get Berserker Blade in NG, not NG+. If I get that thing it will be ON.

Location spoilers, for katana users who are curious:
In Belfry Sol there is a chance that a Black Phantom dual wielding them will appear in a room past the bonfire. If you don't get the spawn, go back to the bonfire and run back. This dude drops the weapon, and respawns infinitely (but still randomly) so if you don't get it you can try again. I've heard it can take a few tries or a lot of tries depending on your luck.

Ken

So uh,
the girl you give clothes to? Yeah... I uh, you know thiose busty pyromancers? I might've given her their top..

Welp, I've killed everything except... whatever is left at the end I guess? I'm just not sure where
the king is.

The annoying thing about those pyromancers is that they actualy have a decent female body model. Meanwhile, over at player creation...

skynidas

Banned
I hit a road block. Some1 late game guide me
i made it to the top and talked to the dragon. He gave me a key. I need to know where to use that And is their a bonfire close by so I don't have to make that run up the stairs to see him again?

the nearest bonfire is the one you are talking about but you don't need to see him again. your next objective is to go to the giants in the forest that you couldn't do anything with before

Farooq

Banned
Oh snap, just found out you can get Berserker Blade in NG, not NG+. If I get that thing it will be ON.

Location spoilers, for katana users who are curious:
In Belfry Sol there is a chance that a Black Phantom dual wielding them will appear in a room past the bonfire. If you don't get the spawn, go back to the bonfire and run back. This dude drops the weapon, and respawns infinitely (but still randomly) so if you don't get it you can try again. I've heard it can take a few tries or a lot of tries depending on your luck.

Do you need to increase the bonfire intensity?

isual

so it's been noted on ps3trophies.org that you don't have to do PVP to get all the magicks that are required of you.

They all pop up one way or another in NG ++++

You do have to do one covenant's which is pretty much PVE

Arcayne

Raising the lower of the two stats will increase your Dark Bonus. If you have 6 Int and 3 Faith, raising Int won't increase your dark bonus, but raising Faith up to Int's level will(or vice versa). They work together to raise your dark bonus. So it would be better to have 30 Faith and 30 Int, versus 40 Faith and 20 Int.

Does that make sense?

Crystal clear :) Time to allot some points in INT now, heh. Thanks.

ElFly

Oh fuck, killed an NPC, mistaken it for an enemy.

Kind of a dick move to make an important NPC with the model of one of my most hated enemies in DS1.

Started a new game, gave up on my level 115 pure sorcerer. I'm about a little more than half-way through the game and still not near getting a new staff. There's like no damn items for sorcerers, it's terrible. I kept dumping all my stat points into INT/ATN and feel like I completely wasted my time.

The spells are all so generic and generally not affective compared to weapons users. When I play co-op I see so many people with awesome looking weapons/armor and they WRECK dudes in 1-2 hits. My character just stands back a PEWPEWs 5-6 soul arrows to kill regular enemies, and that's with very high INT/+5 staff. The only cool stuff I have is pyromancy, but you don't need anywhere near the intelligence I have to use it.

The spells you find, which take about half the game before you get anything decent, all look the same. You get about 5 variations of soul arrow, only 2 of which noticeably do any decent damage compared to the last.

It was just very unfulfilling. I can't understand why From changed magic so much from the beta.

cheezcake

Started a new game, gave up on my level 115 pure sorcerer. I'm about a little more than half-way through the game and still not near getting a new staff. There's like no damn items for sorcerers, it's terrible. I kept dumping all my stat points into INT/ATN and feel like I completely wasted my time.

The spells are all so generic and generally not affective compared to weapons users. When I play co-op I see so many people with awesome looking weapons/armor and they WRECK dudes in 1-2 hits. My character just stands back a PEWPEWs 5-6 soul arrows to kill regular enemies, and that's with very high INT/+5 staff. The only cool stuff I have is pyromancy, but you don't need anywhere near the intelligence I have to use it.

The spells you find, which take about half the game before you get anything decent, all look the same. You get about 5 variations of soul arrow, only 2 of which noticeably do any decent damage compared to the last.

It was just very unfulfilling. I can't understand why From changed magic so much from the beta.

You could've jsut found a soul vessel and respecc-ed, if you were halfway through the game you probably should've had one anyway

Ferrio

Banned
Did my first invasion, beat down that guy with my fists.

I need to look into the types of magic and what they offer and what the requirements are. Any info you guys can give me.

Kusagari

So does leaving a covenant cause you to lose your rank? I'm rank 2 in the
Gargoyles
but want to leave to join the
Sunbros

Zertez

The spells you find, which take about half the game before you get anything decent, all look the same. You get about 5 variation of soul arrow, only 2 of which noticeably do any decent damage compared to the last.

Sounds about the same as Dark Souls 1. The starting staff in Dark Souls 1 was better than almost every staff in the game. Armor wasnt much better either.

Mupod

So does leaving a covenant cause you to lose your rank? I'm rank 2 in the
Gargoyles
but want to leave to join the
Sunbros

you can leave and rejoin whenever you want and it retains progress. I probably left sunbros 4 or 5 times before maxing it.

cheezcake

(Undead Crypt question)

How the hell do you stop those blue dudes from spawning in that huge chamber with a bunch of golden kings guards

sixghost

You should check the wiki to see if you missed any good spells or staves. Sorcerers can be super fucking strong in PvP and PvE from my experience. You just need to balance your character out with some melee ability. Right now I'm Level 150 with 2x Soul Spear, Homing Crystal Soulmass, Crystal Magic Weapon, Soul Geyser, and Soul Greatsword, and I've been absolutely crushing PvP on the Iron Keep bridge. I went like 16 duels in a row without losing the other day. Most of the fights are over in like 15 seconds.

Magic is really, really, strong if you stick with it. My stats at level 115 were probably something like:

16 VIG
16 END
5 VIT
7 STR
20 ATN
20 DEX
40 INT
20 ADP

What areas have you completed so far?

I must say that the
Samurai Knights
in the
Iron Keep
are absolutely badass, some of the coolest enemies in the Souls series. Their animations and their lightning blades are hype as fuck.

Nose Master

Fuuuuuck... I accidentally killed
the merchant Gavlan in No-Man's Wharf :( am I screwed? I saw a message on the ground outside that building that implied a good snipe spot or something like that and I saw a big guy with what looked like two huge axes so I shot him with arrows and killed him then it autosaved. I then cleared the building and went up there and saw "merchant ahead" sign on the floor. I looked him up in the guide and I guess he allows you to sell stuff :( how big is that in this game? Do you get a lot of souls for selling stuff? is there other merchants you can sell too?
I'm 15 hours in and thinking about starting over....

He disappears after you sell to him once, anyways. So you're missing out on like 10k souls probably, big whoop.

Filth

the nearest bonfire is the one you are talking about but you don't need to see him again. your next objective is to go to the giants in the forest that you couldn't do anything with before

Their isn't much time. Do I have a goal in there??

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Are you in NG+, or did you do the Bonfire Ascetic trick to get the drop early? Also, does pyromancy only scale with INT, or does it require some Faith too? I need to try that.

I burned an Ascetic to get it on my first cycle because I didn't want to wait. I'm mostly fiddling around and doing jolly cooperation before moving on to either NG+ or a new character.

I'm still pretty vague on the finer points of Pyromancy in this game. Both Intelligence and Faith improve your fire damage bonus, but I don't really know which is preferable on that front. The Pyromancy Flame also has a rather high base power at +10, which might well make Pyromancy viable even on characters with bupkis for Intelligence and Faith. I haven't done any sort of real testing on that front though, so that's all theorizing on my part. The base listed power for my maxed-out Pyromancy Flame is higher than my maxed-out Witchtree Branch that I use as my main catalyst, though.

My initial impression is that the Pyro line is kind of in between being a full-blown stat investment spell set like sorcery, miracles, and hexes and the no-stat beast mode that it was in Dark Souls. It's useful with no stat investment but caster builds of any stripe get an edge when they use it.

Ghazi

There's a locked door right before the
giant fight
in Forest of Fallen Giants. Any idea what opens this?

If you go through, the normal way to the boss, past the elevator is the opposite side of that door and it's basically a shortcut to the elevator.

If I'm going for the
Old Paledrake Soul
, where would I use the bonfire ascetic? At the bonfire next to the weaponsmith?

Nvm, I figured it out.
tqoEw2z.jpg

aw yeah I'm swag as fuck

sonicmj1

Wandering through No Man's Wharf for the first time, and after clearing out what felt like a lot of it, I chanced upon
the broken house with all the cave trolls in it

I don't want to play this game ever again.

Wandering through No Man's Wharf for the first time, and after clearing out what felt like a lot of it, I chanced upon
the broken house with all the cave trolls in it

I don't want to play this game ever again.

Ahahaha. That house. So many messages outside it saying "Good luck", and "I can't take this."

Stoze

What does getting cursed do exactly? The bar fills up and says "You're cursed!" and then just goes back down. No effects as far as I can tell. Finished up the Gutter and Gulch so now I'm back in the Shaded Ruins with the curse pots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom