• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any "secret" benefits to lighting torches in areas? Was thinking The Gutter in particular. The only instance I've found so far is
that blacksmith sitting on the chest

Before you go to tower of flame, try to use the key you got from the Giant boss. There are at least 3 doors in the nearby area it opens.

Edit: Well I guess all of those directions dead end, except the one leading to the other boss, so maybe you already did that.

Thanks, yes I tried most of them, except the longer corridor with the turtle enemies, and then lots of stairs and wooden doors and even more turtle enemies. I suck at fighting those too, and I have no idea where that path leads in the end.

What weapon do you all recommend early on as i'm using the broadsword+1 at the moment (well i think thats what i'm using, its whatever the Knight starts with)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Any reason for me to be in the
undead purgatory
for now?

Funny thing is, I've kill those whip guys and the red phantom, but I died because I fell down from the bridge because there's an item on a cliff which I though I could cross but nope. Urgh.

I feel I must tell you that item is pretty useful to any build (
bone powder to level up the amount each estus flask chug heals
) so you might want to keep trying to jump at it, and then bone home to avoid having to jump back.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I feel I must tell you that item is pretty useful to any build (
bone powder to level up the amount each estus flask chug heals
) so you might want to keep trying to jump at it, and then bone home to avoid having to jump back.

Well damn. Definitely going for that then.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, yes I tried most of them, except the longer corridor with the turtle enemies, and then lots of stairs and wooden doors and even more turtle enemies. I suck at fighting those too, and I have no idea where that path leads in the end.
I've run through the Forest a handful of times and can't find this area for the life of me.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Im in the gutter with a million torches and platforms. Ive lit what i believe to be every single torch in the area, and the only path forward i can find is a locked door in a room with pouson traps. But i dont have a key. Did i miss the key, is there a different path forward, or should i come back to this area later?

Also, I didn't run into a boss room. Is there no boss in
The Gutter
? There was a door I found that I didn't have a key to. Not looking forward to going back there to open it once I get some more keys.

Welp... I didn't find any door down there that I could remember. I made it to the Gulch and beat the boss, and explored all I could of the Gutter but that place is hard to navigate, even when lighting all the beacons I could find. There's a door? Can anyone spoiler-tag me some indications as to how to reach it?

I've run through the Forest a handful of times and can't find this area for the life of me.

When you go down the ladder from the bonfire with the merchant lady, move in the direction of were the first fog gate was, there's a locked door to your right that can be opened with the Soldier Key. Good luck :)

Calling all achievement/trophy hunters! Chancellor Wellager apparently sells various spells that can normally only be obtained by ranking up in covenants. The strategy guide states that these items will unlock in his inventory after defeating
Looking Glass Knight and Nashandra
in new game+++ (fourth playthrough). What I've done is used Bonfire Ascetics to elevate both of those areas to intensity 4 and defeated them. However, Wellager's spells did not unlock. While it may be necessary to defeat them on a literal fourth playthrough, I'd like to think there's an easier way. Is anyone else trying to get the "Obtain all sorceries/miracles/etc" trophies? Any input or advice? At this point your guess is as good as mine. Literally all I need are those trophies and
Lucatiel's
inheritance trophy for the platinum.

A guy on Reddit just completed the no bonfire run, and he offers some good tips:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/20l7d3/i_just_completed_the_game_without_resting_at_a/

And here's his reward (Illusory Ring of the Exalted):
http://i.imgur.com/qjsssCs.jpg

Among the tips he offers:
- You can light bonfires but not rest at them. Dying respawns you at the last bonfire you lit.
- You can jump off a cliff after lighting a bonfire becasue dying repairs your items and recharges your estus flasks / spells.
- If you want to level up, use a Homeward bone to be transported to the starting area in Things Betwixt, from there go to Majula, since it's very close, level up at the Emerald Herald, jump off a cliff to respawn at the last bonfire you lit and continue the game.

Woow this challenge just got a whole lot easier. Basically, no estus, dust thing or magic. Pretty easy.

embalm

Ok this is driving me up the wall. Where is the estus shard in
Drangleic castle, near the central bonfire. Guides say to look in the hallway to the right and I had no luck.
I really wouldn't worry about it. Your estus maxes out at 12 and there are plenty more shards in the game.

2AdEPT

Question about Doors of Pharos:
I was running around and I got summoned as a grey spirit. The hell is up with that? I'm not in a covenant of any sort I don't think. What's weirder is that the creatures in the dudes world I invaded ignored him and attacked me. I'd like to know what the hell was going on there.
You were summoned into the hosts world as he is a member of the
rat covenant
. If you beat a
rat covenant member you get a tail and a lock stone
. When you beat the boss, the
rat king
offers you to join since you have a tail. I had one by luck as I beat the only host that I was summoned into....you may have to hang out a while in the area to get your first tail but I highy recommend it. I got 7 straight wins and 7 lockstones....the rats and the mobs deaggro when you are part of the covenant but are hostile to the invaders. The whole point of joining is to protect the area from trespassers.
Guilty. When I found the girl in Harvest Valley, before even talking to her I set out to leave the most perverted message I could possibly concoct. settled on "try tongue and then try hole".
Fail. It would be dirtier to try the hole first then tongue....just sayin! :)
After the first boss, the last giant, where do I go?

Opened a door that lead to a up some stairs & to a boss fight (the boss that the crow drops).
He was way above my level, doesn't seem like that is the right place to go.
Unfortunately that is the way to go. You can save him for later, but most people are hiring help for that boss....there are some cheese tactics you can do as a team. I solo him in this video at the 14:20 or so mark if you want to see how to fight him straight up. Light armour and decent ADP helps a lot though.
So wait... there's new gear in the 3rd playthrough?
yep

once you get the soldier key it opens three doors, the pursuer boss door, an annex door just to the left of the ladder to the bonfire, and a door across a bridge near the ladder to the bonfire. The pursuer boss door is all the way to right of the ladder and right again when you see sunlight.

fedexpeon

Banned
Woow this challenge just got a whole lot easier. Basically, no estus, dust thing or magic. Pretty easy.

Yeah, it does sound pretty easy since you don't really need magic/estus/dust to beat this game.
Now does this apply for NG+ when you already have maxed Flask/Dust?
If not, I will just reroll and do a clean run.

Loginius

Is there a reward for not killing the white knights that just sit around and do nothing? (like a quest later on or something)
I actually feel bad attacking them but if thats the only thing they are there for I might as well.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Note that this WILL NOT happen until you hit a certain point in the game, so if you're still early in the NPC can and will run out.

Oh, that explains it. Still 20 shards between both vendors + the many shards that can be found lying around should be enough to get a whole lot of stuff up to level 3.

Is there a reward for not killing the white knights that just sit around and do nothing? (like a quest later on or something)
I actually feel bad attacking them but if thats the only thing they are there for I might as well.

I don't know, but isn't being able to sleep at night for not being a murderer reward enough?

2AdEPT

They dont talk so not much else to do is my guess. The one in the forest seems hurt, prolly just wants to go down in battle rather than off himself like a coward.

Persona7

Banned

I attacked one so I hope not, lol.

How far into Iron Keep is the first bonfire? I'm trying to get the knights to drop a katana, but when I die I'm spawning back at Upper Earth Peak bonfire
which is hidden behind an illusionary wall above the Medusa boss door.

Also, the merchant in Iron Keep is awesome! When I bought the
Jester
set of armor, he threw in a gold serpent ring +1 for free!

Mupod

Just lost 100k souls to the fucking boss dog at Doors of Pharros.

Can't even find summon signs. ughhhhhhhh

you can't summon in there due to the fact that it's a covenant area.

How far into Iron Keep is the first bonfire? I'm trying to get the knights to drop a katana, but when I die I'm spawning back at Upper Earth Peak bonfire

Jester
there is one right at the start of the bridge. There's another right after the first boss, which could make farming even faster.

Jester

its rigth at the beginning if you go down the stairs on the left

Footos22

Jester
Down the stairs next to the bridge as you come up the elevator.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
File me as completely surprised when (Black Gulch spoiler)
the boss was a great soul. That felt like a very short path!

Does anyone want to give me a hint regarding the Earthen Peak boss? :p

File me as completely surprised when (Black Gulch spoiler)
the boss was a great soul. That felt like a very short path!

Does anyone want to give me a hint regarding the Earthen Peak boss? :p

Light your torch at the second bonfire, then use it on the windmill. That'll make the fight way easier. And there's a third bonfire above the fog door to the boss.

fedexpeon

Banned

Jester

It is to your left and down into staircase surrounds by lava near the beginning.
Took me all the way to endgame to realize it...it was a long run back from Upper Earth+Elevator music+Bridge =/.
Good thing the upcoming boss didn't cost me any trouble or I would have raged so hard if I have to run up to him more than twice.

Blastoise

Banned
I fell for the hype, but this game is very difficult. At this moment I don't have the time to learn the ropes. Hopefully I will come back to it...

Morris

Disco Devil
I suddenly don't feel so bad about being a bell keeper after seeing this ratbros bs at Doors of Pharros. Unbelievable.

Still managed to beat 2 people by running away and using the place to my advantage though...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Light your torch at the second bonfire, then use it on the windmill. That'll make the fight way easier. And there's a third bonfire above the fog door to the boss.
Never would have figured this out. Thanks!

Wow, that's pretty damn fast that someone figured out all the ways to make that way easier. But the real teeth grinding challenge have always been getting both rings at the same time. Hopefully someone tries it and youtubes the whole thing.

I just entered the shaded woods yesterday. I haven't seen graphics this ugly since PS1. This is a joke. I can't believe how much the areas differ in terms of graphic quality. Don't think I've seen anything like that before. Whoever approved this should get fired.

Prototype

i can't play with my friends. I'm just going to have to start a "coop" file and only play with them, I suppose.

But things are getting really exciting in my file, so it's all good lol.

-GJ-

Why would I (or wouldn't I) kill
the giant ant
in the Gutter? And I really hate Black Gulch. I came there with 15 poison moss and I only have 3 left. The boss
seems very easy, but is a heavy hitter, which sucks.

NZNova

I'm finding the timing on parries really tricky to figure out. I was pretty consistently able to land parries every time in DS1 but in DS2 they seem to elude me. Once you've parried, is it possible to do a standing riposte or do you have to wait for the enemy to fall to the ground?

Stoze

I'm finding the timing on parries really tricky to figure out. I was pretty consistently able to land parries every time in DS1 but in DS2 they seem to elude me. Once you've parried, is it possible to do a standing riposte or do you have to wait for the enemy to fall to the ground?

Pretty sure they have to fall to the ground, otherwise you'll just hit them and they'll exit the parry animation. I agree, I tend not to attempt them that much and just go for normal attacks and backstabs.

Footos22

Finally found my faithful Zweihander.
What to do! my crescent dragonslayer axe +3 and flame longsword+10 are serving me well. Finding the game easy and i have stats spread over everything.

or shall i risk a respec and get my self a lightning zweihander like my dark souls 1 chappy

Does anyone know a good place to farm big titanite shards? I pretty much maxed out both of my main weapons and am now slowly entering areas of the game that I feel I should have better weapons in. But neither can I find big shards nor can I find anyone who sells them. Can anyone help me out?

Footos22

Does anyone know a good place to farm big titanite shards? I pretty much maxed out both of my main weapons and am now slowly entering areas of the game that I feel I should have better weapons in. But neither can I find big shards nor can I find anyone who sells them. Can anyone help me out?

Steady hand mcduff sells them once you give him the dull ember hes looking for.
Other then that i havent found any enemy that drops them on a regular basis.

Morning everybody. I got the fang key and freed the blacksmith who can trade weapons for boss souls I do not know where the blacksmith has relocated now. Help me guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom