• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prototype

I've been trying to play with a friend, are the summoning rules the same as DS? +/-10 SL?

Any good links about co-op would be much appreciated.

People complaining about certain weapons must not know the desert that a caster has to slog through to find something new to wield.

Also, people joining me to fight
The Rotten
need to learn to dodge. I swear.

Dresden

Almost had the Darklurker on my fourth try, but I drank a little too early and got clipped by the laser.
My effigies ;_;

I feel like i've missed out on so much by not using bonfire asthetics. I will in my next playthrough.

You really haven't. Most of the times they give better versions of the rings you have and occasionally new boss souls.

Bonfire ascetic only matters if you want NG+ gear in NG and lets face it the main reason is for pvp. However most people will go onto to NG+ so it doesn't matter.

Prototype

if you are skilled enough you abuse Bonfire ascetics. It's going to be interesting where this mechanic ends up taking the end game meta. I've been hoarding Skeptics spice, among other things.

Just got to the Smelter Demon, yay! Died and calling it quits for the night. If I've heard right I'm in for a wild ride tomorrow.

holy shit really? That's fucking harsh

Anecdotally I've been playing how I'd normally play a Souls game - killing everything in my path and earning tons of souls - and I still find tons of people to co-op with. I think this is probably the kind of thing that sounds weird on paper but it's implementation hasn't negatively effected my experience at all.

Persona7

Banned
if one more host runs headfirst into a boss and then dies within 5 seconds of starting the battle I am not going to put my summon sign down anymore.

edit : FUCK

Dresden

Bonfire ascetic only matters if you want NG+ gear in NG and lets face it the main reason is for pvp. However most people will go onto to NG+ so it doesn't matter.

It does matter, because getting that gear early on will make ng+ easier (not to mention just enjoying certain weapons and rings earlier = more fun = basically why people play videogames). This is even more true for casters, where two key pieces of gear aren't obtainable until ng+. So yeah, pretty damn important if you know what you're doing.

After the first boss, the last giant, where do I go?

Opened a door that lead to a up some stairs & to a boss fight (the boss that the crow drops).
He was way above my level, doesn't seem like that is the right place to go.

neither

Here:

I'm pretty sure it's the bodyless guy in the shaded woods who gives you his helmet. He's in the foggy ass area with the invisible enemies, in the top right I think.
Thanks, but I'm not in that area yet :(
I need it for the bell tower boss.

I was using the Falchion for most of the game, then switched to the Uchigatana and Black Steel Katana. My next 20 levels all went into DEX to get it to 40. The reason is because the magic weapon spell tree combined with a weapon that scales well and attacks quickly can output a ton of damage. It really rounds out a caster to be able to switch it up and charge someone with some melee damage, or deal with someone that gets in on you.

Awesome, I'm been hesitant to put points into DEX or STR, my open follow up question is which weapons would be good. Like you mentioned, something light and quick seems to be the best route.

RyudBoy

I just think I killed an NPC without realizing it until it was too late. Lol

It was in No Man's Wharf. He was sitting on the 2nd floor peaking out of an opening, and I saw him moving so thought it was an enemy. Shot a couple arrows into him and he said something. That should've tipped me off that it was an NPC (it's late, I should be asleep), but I just kept shooting away. He died and dropped a Gyrm Greataxe.

So GAF, did I just fuck myself over?

After the first boss, the last giant, where do I go?

Opened a door that lead to a up some stairs & to a boss fight (the boss that the crow drops).
He was way above my level, doesn't seem like that is the right place to go.

I'm at the same point in the game. I think we're supposed to go the Tower of Flame (up those stairs at the end of the village), but those giant sentinels are way too strong for me. I've wasted most of last night trying to progress there. I guess I'll try to get that
Heide Knight Sword
tonight before trying again... I've never felt as underlevelled in a Souls game before. Also sucks that I don't have any magic yet.

Deitus

I'm at the same point in the game. I think we're supposed to go the Tower of Flame (up those stairs at the end of the village), but those giant sentinels are way too strong for me. I've wasted most of last night trying to progress there. I guess I'll try to get that
Heide Knight Sword
tonight before trying again... I've never felt as underlevelled in a Souls game before. Also sucks that I don't have any magic yet.

Before you go to tower of flame, try to use the key you got from the Giant boss. There are at least 3 doors in the nearby area it opens.

Edit: Well I guess all of those directions dead end, except the one leading to the other boss, so maybe you already did that.

Stoze

Thanks, but I'm not in that area yet :(
I need it for the bell tower boss.

You can get there now if you have a fragment of yore. I've used non-upgraded weapons with out adding magic, electric, etc. dmg for every boss so far and killed every boss solo this way so it isn't really necessary. My advice for that boss:
two hand your favorite/strongest weapon, ditch the shield, and try and focus on one gargoyle at a time, and dodge like crazy. If the weak one is in a bad position, attack a more convinient one. I went through all five like this.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
was in pvp and I put down poison cloud just as this dude goes in on me and he gets poisoned. I NEVER play defensive, but I figure why not try shield poking with my rapier. He does the bash right away and busts my shit open. I was highly impressed.

TFORTOM

Neo Member
Finally got invaded for the first time after 11 hours... and it's still a laggy mess. Getting killed by an enemy who's a good 30 meters away by sword is never fun. That's 3/3 Souls games where I can't enjoy the PvP aspect due to the severe amount of lag.

Are there any Aussies who've had a smooth time online? My net's fine for other online games... but the Souls game continue to be an unfortunate let down (only in the PvP department).

Ferrio

Banned
It does matter, because getting that gear early on will make ng+ easier (not to mention just enjoying certain weapons and rings earlier = more fun = basically why people play videogames). This is even more true for casters, where two key pieces of gear aren't obtainable until ng+. So yeah, pretty damn important if you know what you're doing.

So wait... there's new gear in the 3rd playthrough?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Finally got invaded for the first time after 11 hours... and it's still a laggy mess. Getting killed by an enemy who's a good 30 meters away by sword is never fun. That's 3/3 Souls games where I can't enjoy the PvP aspect due to the severe amount of lag.

Are there any Aussies who've had a smooth time online? My net's fine for other online games... but the Souls game continue to be an unfortunate let down (only in the PvP department).

this from one experience? you do realize that he could live far away and have shit internet lol. I have been pvping for 2 days straight with mostly great connections

Hypron

I live in NZ and the lag is pretty bad here too. It's better than Dark Souls 1 but that's not saying much. I already got back-stabbed mid roll and I hit people and got hit when I could clearly see that the attacks did not land anywhere near their targets.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
You really haven't. Most of the times they give better versions of the rings you have and occasionally new boss souls.

Except if you burn an Ascetic the effect will remain forever. If you burn one on lets say Heide's on NG, the bonfire intensity will go to level 2(NG+ difficulty), however when you get to NG+, the bonfire will be on level 3(NG++) intensity.

JonCha

Got to
No Man's Wharf
last night. As this was in the evening and I has to prepare for work today, I got all the way to the
boss door
and then realised there was no bonfire. At least I got 12,000-plus souls out of it.

Also,
summoning a player for the Dragonrider boss
made it suuuuper easy. Might try that for every boss now.

Raxus

Ok this is driving me up the wall. Where is the estus shard in
Drangleic castle, near the central bonfire. Guides say to look in the hallway to the right and I had no luck.

TFORTOM

Neo Member
this from one experience? you do realize that he could live far away and have fluff internet lol. I have been pvping for 2 days straight with mostly great connections

Had another invasion after that, to the same effect. It's been like this every Souls game. For Demon's Souls I didn't mind, because I imported it and played on US servers, but I feel as though they would prioritize local connection a little better.

It's a shame, because I feel as though I miss out on a lot of this game's longevity.

Ellite25

Got to
No Man's Wharf
last night. As this was in the evening and I has to prepare for work today, I got all the way to the
boss door
and then realised there was no bonfire. At least I got 12,000-plus souls out of it.

Also,
summoning a player for the Dragonrider boss
made it suuuuper easy. Might try that for every boss now.
That is the secret for easy mode in the Dark Souls series haha

The hammer dudes at haevest valley drop them all the time.
Or you can get an infinite amount from the npc you meet there who will go back to majula.

Note that this WILL NOT happen until you hit a certain point in the game, so if you're still early in the NPC can and will run out.

I spent 2 hours in No Mans wharf last night not knowing what the hell to do and right before i was ready to turn the game off i saw the switch at the top of the wooden tower lol

Also the merchant in No Mans Wharf won't talk to me so how do i get to buy things from him (I'm playing as a knight)

Footos22

Note that this WILL NOT happen until you hit a certain point in the game, so if you're still early in the NPC can and will run out.

Really?

The more you know.

Steady hand mcduff gives infinte large shards once you give him the dull ember as well in case anyone is wondering. They are pretty rare otherwise.

Footos22

I spent 2 hours in No Mans wharf last night not knowing what the hell to do and right before i was ready to turn the game off i saw the switch at the top of the wooden tower lol

Also the merchant in No Mans Wharf won't talk to me so how do i get to buy things from him (I'm playing as a knight)

You need enough intelligence points. (think it is 8)

Oops double post. sorry

The boss requires an effigy to fight, so I can't. :(

Just beat him now, but god, so many effigies lost ;_;

Oh, I thought you mentioned effigies because of regaining human form after death.

That's pretty devious of From. I just finished up
Iron Keep
so I might be heading towards that direction now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Any reason for me to be in the
undead purgatory
for now?

Funny thing is, I've kill those whip guys and the red phantom, but I died because I fell down from the bridge because there's an item on a cliff which I though I could cross but nope. Urgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom