• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never got into the PvP in DeS or DaS, I can't believe how fun it is. I've had some pretty tense stand offs at Belfry so far. Especially when it's 2v1 and I have to get creative to separate the host and his summon.

I had good one earlier. Started out 1v1 and I had whittled the host down to half health, then his summon joined the fun so I legged it up the ladder and hid behind the wall waiting to ambush.
The host came up first and got the attention of two dwarves, his summon was halfway up the ladder.
I two-handed my Drangleic sword and fell him in three swings. His summon got up the ladder in time to get the backstab on me but it was too late, I had already won.

Audioboxer

Has anyone tried making a lightning halberd and knows what the stats/scaling is like? Wondering for my strength and faith based cleric. Thanks

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is this game really that horrible for the ps3, I just left the downgrade thread and making it seem like it's unplayable

I've been fine with the PS3 so far. Also some people in the downgrade thread have tendencies to be hyperbolic.

Of course, what's fine for anyone is totally subjective.

NIN90

Is this game really that horrible for the ps3, I just left the downgrade thread and making it seem like it's unplayable

It certainly dips below 25 quite a lot. Not unplayable, but I'm still kicking myself for getting it over the 360 version.

EDIT: I don't know how people can downplay the frame rate so much. Just walk from the Majula bonfire towards the pit and you're gonna get noticeably below 25 FPS. That shit happens all the time during the course of the game.

chunk3rvd

When I eventually get the respec item - can I drop stats below the base level of my starting class? I want to go DEX with a little INT but the 8 points in FAI that my bandit started with seems like a waste. Would love to remove them if I can

-TRN-

The first area runs like shit so it gives a very bad first impression, once you get to the hub area and get used to the differences on the combat timing (it has more weight so it's a little slower imo) it definitely gets better, some areas are really beautiful but the connecting areas (which seems to hide the loadings) all look pretty meh, the levels themselves look pretty good! Cleaner then ds1 imo.

danthefan

Hello folks, I've decided to wait for the PC version, would anyone know of any decent podcasts about where they talk about Dark Souls II? Would like to hear a bit about the game between now and then.

Antiwhippy

Hello folks, I've decided to wait for the PC version, would anyone know of any decent podcasts about where they talk about Dark Souls II? Would like to hear a bit about the game between now and then.

If you want full on spoilers for the early few hours giantbomb has a spoilercast.

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/interview-dumptruck/

If you want someone talking about original dark souls the latest 8-4 has that.

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/eight-four-play/

Grisby

8-4 play is probably your best bet. Haven't listened in a while but they are big fans of the series.

MilkBeard

I never got into the PvP in DeS or DaS, I can't believe how fun it is. I've had some pretty tense stand offs at Belfry so far. Especially when it's 2v1 and I have to get creative to separate the host and his summon.

I had good one earlier. Started out 1v1 and I had whittled the host down to half health, then his summon joined the fun so I legged it up the ladder and hid behind the wall waiting to ambush.
The host came up first and got the attention of two dwarves, his summon was halfway up the ladder.
I two-handed my Drangleic sword and fell him in three swings. His summon got up the ladder in time to get the backstab on me but it was too late, I had already won.

Yep, never got a chance to play PvP in DeS or DaS because I didn't have a home internet connection at the time. But I've been having fun with the invasions and duels in DaS II. They are fun and intense, and I did get ganked/double invaded in the Belfry. I was like...wtf just happened???? ha ha. I got creamed. I need to go back there and try the covenant for a bit.

cheezcake

(Very Late game)

Soooo
I've got the ashen mist heart from that gigantic dragon at the end of the Dragon Aerie, and I've got two soul of a giants from two of those mangled giant tree things. Are there supposed to be more, and what the hell do I do with them?

Maybesew

So last night before ending my session I beat the lost sinner with 2 player summons. This morning I load up the game and head to the shaded ruins, still human ( I'm not wearing a helmet ATM), I see summon signs and grab to players to take on scorpion lady. We win and I continue on.

I pan the camera around and noticed I am no longer human.

Expected behavior?

Dyno

I've played nearly 25 hours and am at SL 79 in the Lost Bastille. I went easy-mode and picked Sorceror my first time out. I think the game is great. It plays well, looks good, and is a ton of fun! I have lots of pros and honestly not a whole lot of cons.

First, thank you all for playing. There are so many people playing this game that summons happen all the time. Some of you will never know having to wait a few minutes before being summoned - and that's if you're lucky! Even if I'm higher level than I think I should be I'm still summoned within 30 seconds. It's made for great co-op and soul farming.

I think the levels so far are amazing. Forest of Giants is big with lots of shortcuts and variety. Flame Tower and Cathedral of Blue are bright and beautiful. No Mans Wharf is typical Souls - Dark and creepy. Bosses haven't been tough but it seems like there are more of them.

I love how they tweaked the equipment and inventory. It's just more varied and useful. This game is a masterclass in keeping what works and trimming off what doesn't. Due to additional rings and belt slots there is way more incentive to mix and match rather than stick with your best option.

So far the only thing I can think of that I don't like is the Level Up Lady. She doesn't say anything interesting and she has four sections of dialogue to skip through. She would have been fine if all she did was improve your Estus Flask and you level up at the bonfire. I would have liked that better. I don't need to go to Majula every time I want to level up, I rather just stay in the dungeon.

Souls game are the best of the old generation. Now, this is known.

Garcia

Dragon Shrine is one of my favorite areas in the game for several reasons:

• Perfect spot to farm souls (co-op).
  • Great ambient sound.
  • Gorgeous view.
  • Epic feeling.

That such a place exists in the same world as the fucking nasty Shaded Woods boggles me to no end.

Is this a fucking joke? Shrine of
Amaris
is the worst fucking level ever made. And where the hell is the second bonfire? I'm tired of starting at the beginning again and again.

ultron87

After never getting any results with the Forest covenant in the first game I really appreciate that Team Bell is a party all the time.

Ok, right now, I am at work, and still I can't help but think of this game...

So,
I have a knight, with these stats :
VIG - 15
END - 20
STR - 25
DEX - 20
ADP - 20
The rest is not significant for me. The question is what should I allocate future points to ?
Right now, I am using a Halberd and the Drangelic Sword but I am not a fan of this sword, plus, I don't want to use big swords...
DEX and END may be the best choice but If you have any advice I take them :)
Also,
A quick question :
Regarding the statues
there is one in Lost Bastille just in front of a cell, blocking acess to the bonfire, how can I change it back to human ? if i can, does it unlock with progression ?
Thx

Brohan

So last night before ending my session I beat the lost sinner with 2 player summons. This morning I load up the game and head to the shaded ruins, still human ( I'm not wearing a helmet ATM), I see summon signs and grab to players to take on scorpion lady. We win and I continue on.

I pan the camera around and noticed I am no longer human.

Expected behavior?

You probably got cursed in the area of the scorpion lady.

hew9753

The
Bell Covenant
has to be the one of the most frustrating thing in a Souls game. It's impossible to get through that tiny
Belfrey Luna
area to the boss fight without getting invaded by one or two people. It's constant. There's no time to get through the area and summon help against the
Gargoyles

I know, I should be better at PVP or learn to fight the boss myself, but this part of the game is one the few times in a Souls game where I've felt it was just plain unfair. Maybe there are so many invaders because the game is new but man is it pissing me off right now.

So last night I used an effigy and figured I'd give summoning a try for the
Gargoyles
boss fight. Went into the area and of course the doorway immediately goes grey behind me. I run up to the fog door, try to summon help but get an error message and THEN immediately get the invasion message. The invader appears right next to me so I go through the fog door to esacpe him. I then proceed to solo the boss in what has to be my greatest moment in a Souls game. Whether it was luck, patience or me just being relaxed because I didn't think I had a chance...it was beautiful. I can't remember the last time a video game moment like that brought me such pure joy.

Camwi

Chose Deprived because I wanted a challenge, and recently found out that the
Company of Champions
covenant that I joined early in the game
DOES NOTHING BUT MAKE THE GAME EVEN FRIGGIN' HARDER!
No wonder I've been getting my ass kicked so much!

Still, I'm doing well and currently getting my butt kicked by a
black phantom with a pickaxe. Prick.

Has anyone made a guide for the
Doors of Pharros
yet? Specifically
which doors actually lead somewhere and aren't simply traps.

Booties

Banned
Can someone explain the new ADP stat to me? How much is it worth investing in? I haven't had a chance to play a whole lot so my levels are low.

Celegus

The
Bell Covenant
has to be the one of the most frustrating thing in a Souls game. It's impossible to get through that tiny
Belfrey Luna
area to the boss fight without getting invaded by one or two people. It's constant. There's no time to get through the area and summon help against the
Gargoyles

I know, I should be better at PVP or learn to fight the boss myself, but this part of the game is one the few times in a Souls game where I've felt it was just plain unfair. Maybe there are so many invaders because the game is new but man is it pissing me off right now.

Can you not just turn the game to offline mode while you do that part? Personally I found it quite fun, and I've never been one for PvP in the Souls games (until this very section). Lately I've found myself to keep going back as a defender, cackling at the top of the tower while I throw chunks of titanite at invaders that dare step into my realm.

The
Bell Covenant
Belfrey Luna
Gargoyles

I stayed near the entrance of that area and waited for summon signs to appear, I got invaded, tracked back on that little connecting bridge, and, closed the door. I was waiting in ambush.
The invader came to the door, but, didn't open it. He went back. Meanwhile, I summon sign appeared on that little bridge, I summoned a helping hand, and with him we went to kick the invader's ass. Plus, we got the
Gargoyles
in the process.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Man, new game+ is crazy in this one. I didn't expect boss fights to be as different as they are. In the bastille, the
Lost Sinner
was not a very hard fight for me the first time through. I don't think I beat them on my first try, but maybe attempt 2 or 3. But in new game+, they've been the harder than anything I faced in my first playthrough.

About 1/3 of the way into the fight, 2 surprise pyromancers crash in through the windows and starting nuking the place. I had to rush down the pyros to even stand a chance but while rushing them down you have the sinner on your ass.

I must have died like 50 times to that boss alone.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Can someone explain the new ADP stat to me? How much is it worth investing in? I haven't had a chance to play a whole lot so my levels are low.
The main thing it raises is agility. I've seen a lot of conflicting information about what agility does exactly so it's hard to know for sure. But it seems to decrease the recovery frames on a lot of animations. I feel like I can drink estus faster, roll sooner, block sooner, etc.

I tried respeccing to switch between 37ADP to 10 ADP and back to 37 ADP and I couldn't tell concretely what it did, but I felt like I was 'safer' with high ADP. I was able to react to block things, I was able to get away with drinking estus, I was able to attack in openings that would have gotten me killed with low ADP. I just felt faster.

After my 37 -> 10 -> 37 experiment, I never want to play with low agility again. I think it's a fantastic stat to level and I would need some real hard numbers to convince me otherwise.
Late game spoilers

So... I kinda want to try attacking the Ancient Dragon. Good idea or not?
Attacking large scary things is always a great idea.

Is it true that attunement raises agility too?

It does, but that stat is kinda worthless if you aren't a caster. Adaptability at least works in tandem with endurance to increase your base poise. I think it would be worthwhile for a melee build to have enough points in ATT for 2 slots (13 points) so you can have Magic Weapon and some other spell and then maybe 15-20 into ADP to add more agility. This is what I'm working on. I think I might go with a weapon buff and then combustion or fireball.

Antiwhippy

It does, but that stat is kinda worthless if you aren't a caster. Adaptability at least works in tandem with endurance to increase your base poise. I think it would be worthwhile for a melee build to have enough points in ATT for 2 slots (13 points) so you can have Magic Weapon and some other spell and then maybe 15-20 into ADP to add more agility. This is what I'm working on. I think I might go with a weapon buff and then combustion or fireball.

Hmmm, but do we know how it scales compared to adaptability?

Would be nice to ignore it and focus purely on attunement, magic and faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom