• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Footos22

Ok, right now, I am at work, and still I can't help but think of this game...

So,
I have a knight, with these stats :
VIG - 15
END - 20
STR - 25
DEX - 20
ADP - 20
The rest is not significant for me. The question is what should I allocate future points to ?
Right now, I am using a Halberd and the Drangelic Sword but I am not a fan of this sword, plus, I don't want to use big swords...
DEX and END may be the best choice but If you have any advice I take them :)
Also,
A quick question :
Regarding the statues
there is one in Lost Bastille just in front of a cell, blocking acess to the bonfire, how can I change it back to human ? if i can, does it unlock with progression ?
Thx

You need Fragrant branches,
You'll get one after a certain boss.
Ive found 2 since then lying about, one in harvest valley, unsure of the other one and theres a chap that sells one in
The iron keep

1) If I burn a
bonfire ascetic
at any bonfire in the
lost bastille
will it respawn all enemies in the
bastille
or just ones near the bonfire where I burned the
ascetic
?
2) Also will the enemies respawn for 15 kills after burning the ascetic like before I burned it ?
I want to respawn all the
royal swordsmen on the way to the ruin sentinels boss fog gate so I can get a royal greatsword.
3) If the only enemies that respawn are enemies that are near the bonfire where I burned it, at which bonfire should I burn it to respawn the enemies on the way to the boss fog gate ?

FirLocke

Are there good Twinblade weapons later on? Been playing around with the first Twinblade and it's a ton of fun to use but its stats leave a lot to be desired.

Also, I'm having trouble with the scorpion lady in the shaded woods. Have been having better luck close range than long range though.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
It does, but that stat is kinda worthless if you aren't a caster. Adaptability at least works in tandem with endurance to increase your base poise. I think it would be worthwhile for a melee build to have enough points in ATT for 2 slots (13 points) so you can have Magic Weapon and some other spell and then maybe 15-20 into ADP to add more agility. This is what I'm working on. I think I might go with a weapon buff and then combustion or fireball.
Magic weapon is not worth it on melee. Much easier to just buy armoatic oozes, which do just as much without having to invest in INT. Through re-speccing I even tried crystal weapon and it was sliiiightly better than an aromatic ooze. So I re-specced back out of int and and just bought 99 oozes. Of course, even that is now irrelevant now that I have
Pyromancy: Flame Weapon
from new game+

NIN90

Is there a good sword that has a similar moveset to the longsword? Because I'm 40 hours in and I'm still sticking with the fire longsword because I haven't found anything suitable yet.

Tiops

I made a Sorcerer yesterday and noticed that my Magic Bonus stopped increasing after 20. Is it because of my catalyst or 20 is the soft cap for INT? Really weird...

T.O.P

Banned
Not worth imho, i regret doing it, i think you can get the treasure by jumping from the bonfire

Too late, was in a rush to leave for work and i said fuck it i'll just try

Yup, totally not worth it, i'll use the next one for the Boss Weapon guy in Sinner's Rise (i think)

You need Fragrant branches,
You'll get one after a certain boss.
Ive found 2 since then lying about, one in harvest valley, unsure of the other one and theres a chap that sells one in
The iron keep

Thanks,
By the time I get that I would have forgotten about that bonefire...

Footos22

Come at me Bros
mb7fGky.jpg

Celegus

Not worth imho, i regret doing it, i think you can get the treasure by jumping from the bonfire

There's a bonfire in that area? Or is it that hole in the side of the mountain that looks like you might be able to jump in from the bridge? I haven't tried that yet, was meaning to though.

Guilty. When I found the girl in Harvest Valley, before even talking to her I set out to leave the most perverted message I could possibly concoct. settled on "try tongue and then try hole".

Yep, I left a quick "tight spot, try rear" and went about my business. Got a shit load of ratings haha.

Sullichin

After reading here that you can get unlimited large titanite / chunks from
the ore vendor who shows up in Harvest Valley
, and chunks from the bell covenant, I'm not worried about being able to farm for weapon upgrades anymore.

But does anyone know the exact rules for the shrine
after the song of god that's supposed to restore your humanity
? I've read that it only works if you don't have any effigies left and if you don't have sin. I killed the witches in the beginning and my cost to absolve is like 125K so I hope it's not that.

Grisby

So far the only thing I can think of that I don't like is the Level Up Lady. She doesn't say anything interesting and she has four sections of dialogue to skip through. She would have been fine if all she did was improve your Estus Flask and you level up at the bonfire. I would have liked that better. I don't need to go to Majula every time I want to level up, I rather just stay in the dungeon.
She's no Maiden in Black, that's for sure. I like her outfit but yeah, a bit on the bland side.

MilkBeard

Is there a good sword that has a similar moveset to the longsword? Because I'm 40 hours in and I'm still sticking with the fire longsword because I haven't found anything suitable yet.

Heh, I'm 30 ish hours in and I'm still using it as well. Technically I have two, one is a Fire Longsword +5 and then a regular Longsword +5 and on occasion I dual wield for higher attack. I've won against invaders so it's not a bad weapon at this point in the game for me...but I am itching to try something new. I would suggest, try some boss soul weapons? I've also got an enchanted Falchion that seems pretty cool, I'm going to experiment with that. I've got a curved boss soul sword as well, but you need a special item to upgrade and I used it for a particular bow (I like bows in this game a lot).

GulAtiCa

Man, I really love the co-op feature of this game. Most times I like to just do things on my own, as that is fun to me for the challenge. Esp when it comes to bosses. But sometimes I find it just as fun to have a partner take on a tough boss. Really exciting. I've called for help on a few bosses that were a little too quick for me, like
The Pursuer
or
The Sinner Boss
. I'm mostly a Sorcerer, with decent Str too, but those quick bosses are really hard for me sometimes.

takriel

I'm at
Drangleic Castle
right now.

If I remember correctly, one of the developers said during an interview, that one of the central themes for Dark Souls II is
time
. I even remember seeing a trailer where one area
is shown in a destroyed state and then switches to a state where everything is still in order
. What's the deal with that?

Arjen

There's a bonfire in that area? Or is it that hole in the side of the mountain that looks like you might be able to jump in from the bridge? I haven't tried that yet, was meaning to though.

The bonfire i mean is on the bridge. If you look right you see that hole in the wall, and yes you can jump in it, i tried it. If you look left you see the statue blocking the path, and i'm pretty sure you can jump there to.

Dyno

I made a Sorcerer yesterday and noticed that my Magic Bonus stopped increasing after 20. Is it because of my catalyst or 20 is the soft cap for INT? Really weird...

I don't know why but for some reason INT from 20 to 30 only raises your Magic Adjustment but something like 5 lousey points! From 30 to 40 it goes up 30 points. So stop at 20 if you aren't going full mage but if you are then just level up to 40 ASAP. 40 gets you Magic Adjustment 140 total and lets you use Soul Spear.

Footos22

Nice. What armor is that and how far in? (Spoiler tags)

Allone armor, drops from Allone knight enemies at
The Iron Keep

The Helmet is an Allone captain helm though. Not sure if there is captain versions of the normal armor.

The greaves aren't part of that armor, haven't dropped them yet. they are just some cuffs. only wearing them to keep weight below 70% until i upgrade stats a bit.

Zeliard

The Lost Sinner
was a major disappointment as a boss fight. Think I may have faced the boss too late since I went to that level after finishing up
Iron Keep

I also regret
lighting those torches. Seems like the fight would have been much more interesting otherwise.

Allone armor, drops from Allone knight enemies at
The Iron Keep

The Helmet is an Allone captain helm though. Not sure if there is captain versions of the normal armor.

The greaves aren't part of that armor, haven't dropped them yet. they are just some cuffs. only wearing them to keep weight below 70% until i upgrade stats a bit.

The Allone Captai, armour is up on the
ledge where the first archer shoots at you from the right when you come out the doorway.

Listonosh

Has anyone tried sniping
Nashandra
right before the
Double Dragonrider fight when she's sitting in her throne
? I wanted to try it but was worried about the implications. I already know you
fight her later on as a boss

Celegus

The bonfire i mean is on the bridge. If you look right you see that hole in the wall, and yes you can jump in it, i tried it. If you look left you see the statue blocking the path, and i'm pretty sure you can jump there to.

Oh cool, I didn't realize that was right there. I'll check it out later when I get home. That's the one thing I usually end up missing in the Souls games, I don't like the jumping/platforming/jumping off stuff secret areas.

The Lost Sinner
was a major disappointment as a boss fight. Think I may have faced her too late since I went to that level after finishing up
Iron Keep

I also regret
lighting those torches. Seems like the fight would have been much more interesting otherwise.

That boss was the first "old one" that I killed. It was decently hard for me personally. I didn't even know you could
light torches? How do you do that?
The room was incredibly dark and I lost lock-on really often, lol.

Listonosh

That boss was the first "old one" that I killed. It was decently hard for me personally. I didn't even know you could

You have to defeat
Gargoyles
first and acquire the key to open the two doors right before Sinner

Zeliard

You need
the Bastille Key which you use to unlock the gates at the end of the two stairways right before the fog door, and there are two places to light up there.

You have to defeat
Gargoyles
first and acquire the key to open the two doors right before Sinner

You need
the Bastille Key which you use to unlock the gates at the end of the two stairways right before the fog door, and there are two places to light up there.

Ohhh okay, thanks. I was wondering what those two doors were for prior to fighting the boss. Oh well, I'll do that next time, lol.

KorrZ

Fuck the
Smelter Boss
I can tank him pretty reliably with my high stamina and 100 physical def shield, but once he
powers up for the second time and starts doing fire damage
my 55% fire reduction gets me torn up.

What's the Purple Flame Shield of this game? I need 100 Physical and high Fire DEF or I don't see how I can beat this guy :(

ElFly

Dear Alonne Knights,

Please stop dropping your armor for me. I already have 3 full sets. I've been good and wearing the Jester Hat and Gold Covetous Serpent Ring +1, so I'd really like your damn sword.

The Alonne Captain Armor is awesome and saved my butt quite a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom