• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting destroyed by all the
sorcerers in the Shrine of Amana
atm. >.< Even with a Magic Quarz +2 and Great Magic Barrier...it hurts so much guys. :(

mattp

am i doing something wrong here?
i can't power stance with my falchion and scimitar even though i've got 150% of the required str and dex stats
arent they both curved swords?

KorrZ

One thing that I'm noticing mid-game that is kind of...I don't know, disappointing? Compared to Dark Souls 1 is that I don't feel like I'm trudging through a continuous path anymore, constantly pushing forward deeper and deeper into madness.

It's just sort of become, warp to this area, beat a boss, warp to the next area, beat the next boss, warp to the nex....etc. etc. It's been a few hours now since I've just been able to keep pushing forward through a continuous chain of areas. I keep hitting dead ends after bosses.

Clevinger

Hey people, silly question but: What's your favorite NPC so far?

Lucatiel. Love her design and like her story so far. After seeing the mask I was shocked that A) she was a woman and B) she wasn't a crazy murderous asshole like Lautrec.

Too bad she's kinda useless as a summon.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Lucatiel. Love her design and like her story so far. After seeing the mask I was shocked that A) she was a woman and B) she wasn't a crazy murderous asshole like Lautrec.

She dies pretty fast on bosses.

One thing that I'm noticing mid-game that is kind of...I don't know, disappointing? Compared to Dark Souls 1 is that I don't feel like I'm trudging through a continuous path anymore, constantly pushing forward deeper and deeper into madness.

It's just sort of become, warp to this area, beat a boss, warp to the next area, beat the next boss, warp to the nex....etc. etc. It's been a few hours now since I've just been able to keep pushing forward through a continuous chain of areas. I keep hitting dead ends after bosses.

I hear ya, but DS1 was essentially the same, after Nito, Seath, Bed of Chaos, and Gwyn were all dead ends.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
for ruin sentinels I them beat with a twin dragon shield and a battle axe equipped. Beat them on my first try, twin dragon shield with the hp regen ring is very very nice.

just be patient and pick your attack windows.

J-Roderton

Finshed pirate place, got to level 56, got my giant sword, and just arrived at Lost Bastille. I've been having too much fun using summon signs. Use it to figure out an area and help someone beat a boss, then summon a couple players to help me do the same. Sure that's making this game quite a bit easy, but I'm sure as hell not letting there be another S&O moment that completely puts me off to the game. Don't care. Having way more fun now.

Also, does anyone else have a problem with there not being any cinematics before the boss fights? The first boss was the only one that showed me a cutscene.

Sullichin

About to get my estus flask number 12. It is amazing how much easier the game becomes the further you get into it and you begin to stabilize. It was the same way for DkS as well.

Damn, beat the game with 8. I found a shard to get to 9 afterward in Brightstone.
Can't believe how much stuff I've missed

Do ive been doing my playthrough blind (for the most part other than typical media and common knowledge) and feel like im missing tons of shit! Im relatively far into the game and still with the damn fire long sword and the second staff I could find as a mage build. Found some decent armours and spells but am jonesing for a new weapon and staff. Soo many goodies to find. NG+ im breaking out the guide.

J-Roderton

You have to be human. Her summon sign in No Man's Wharf is up in the high up area where you flip a switch and a gate opens. It's on one side of the gate.

You can summon her in Sinner's Rise and some other places as well.

I summoned her to help with a boss and she got stuck on a wall. Never to be seen again. ha

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'm getting destroyed by all the
sorcerers in the Shrine of Amana
atm. >.< Even with a Magic Quarz +2 and Great Magic Barrier...it hurts so much guys. :(

Upgrade a bow and cheese them. It's the only way to beat that section without wanting to kill yourself.

Also, does anyone else have a problem with there not being any cinematics before the boss fights? The first boss was the only one that showed me a cutscene.
Yes, some of the boss fights seem very ho-hum and this doesn't help. You don't really get a chance to look at their designs because it's straight into the fight.

I'm at the
Skeleton Lords
boss now, and I guess most people will have seen this from the network test, but I didn't and thought the boss design/set up was very non-descript - other than the fact I had like 15 enemies chasing me around the room!

SumGamer

I have a problem with my PS3 version. The game basically turn dark and display nothing occasionally. I can open TV menu using the remote just fine but the PS3 won't display anything. The game is still running in the dark as I have died multiple times during the pitch black. On very rare occasion the signal seems to be loss altogether showing the gibberish static screen.

This only happen when playing Dark Souls 2. I can switch to other disc-based and/or digital game no problem. I even switch HDMI cable.

Is this a known issue or is my disc defect or something?

ultron87

I was really shocked by how easy the (Huntsman's Copse)
Skeleton Lords fight was. You'd think that with three dudes that summon even more guys including the fucking wheel-skeletons, things would get hairy, but nothing seemed to do that much damage. (Obviously I could've just been leveled a bunch for it.)

bigmac996

Im trying to solo them cause I have no effigies, but I might have to scrap that plan. The first one is easy enough when you get the dodging down, but fighting the other two at once is where I always die. I got a swordsman build but didn't even realize it was geared towards dexterity. Oh well.

lol I just summoned someone and then rolled off the ledge like 50 feet from the bonfire -_-

I had to solo the
sentinels
on my first playthrough since the servers weren't online yet, and picked up a pretty good strategy. All you have to do is focus on the first sentinel on the ledge, kill him (while remaining on the ledge) and then drop down onto the other doing a drop-stab move. When the two other sentinels are together, keep them in front of you at all times, never let them separate and get behind you. If you have a good stability shield, you can block their attacks easily with very little stamina reduction and the fight becomes a matter of finding a good moment to strike in between blows, keeping them in front of you and blocking/ circling behind them.

It's really not as difficult as you might think.

ironcreed

Banned
Hey people, silly question but: What's your favorite NPC so far?

Not silly at all. the NPCs in Souls games are always so interesting because they are either broken in some way, bewildered, or are just completely mad. But as for my favorite so far in Dark Souls II? It has to be Straid of Olaphis. He made me decide to do an evil sorcerer run on my next play through. Plus he has some rather nice soul trade weapons and gave me his badass looking gear.

Tiops

There's a weird sort of stat dead zone between 20 and 30 INT. After you hit 30 it'll start giving you decent bonuses for raising it again. I'm guessing it's to prevent people from going beyond 20 points if they're not going for a dedicated sorcery or hex build, but it's mighty odd all the same.
Uhm, interesting.

My wife is playing as a Sorcerer (she loves sorceries), but she's getting really frustrated with how limited sorceries are in the initial part of the game. She also likes Katanas and upped DEX on her character, but still no luck finding one. In the first game it was easier to become decent at the start.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I have a problem with my PS3 version. The game basically turn dark and display nothing occasionally. I can open TV menu using the remote just fine but the PS3 won't display anything. The game is still running in the dark as I have died multiple times during the pitch black. On very rare occasion the signal seems to be loss altogether showing the gibberish static screen.

This only happen when playing Dark Souls 2. I can switch to other disc-based and/or digital game no problem. I even switch HDMI cable.

Is this a known issue or is my disc defect or something?

I think there was another poster complaining about the same thing, they even posted pics. the other poster thought it was due to having an old fat ps3. wish I could be of more help. hope you find a solution.

Raxus

Damn, beat the game with 8. I found a shard to get to 9 afterward in Brightstone.
Can't believe how much stuff I've missed

A ton of them are really well hidden so don't feel bad. Most people know about the early flasks and boss flasks but there are random ones hidden behind illusionary walls or passage ways with little to no foot traffic.

General locations are below:

2 in Majula
cardinal tower
2 in Brightstone Cove
Shaded Ruins
Shaded Woods
No Man's Wharf
Harvest Valley
Lost Bastille
Drangelic Castle (?)
Shrine of Amara

You can also strengthen the flask to +5 in the first run through (that I know of)

see5harp

Also have beaten the other two, but finding this considerably easier so far. Although it's my first sorcerer too. So instead of in close dodging and parrying, I just hang back and cheese everyone. ;) But I've found enough melee loot I'm tempted to respec later.

I'm not even sure I'm playing Sorcerer right, but seems to be working so far.

A lot of that, I think is just experience with the previous games though. The thing that does seem actually easier is getting summoned as a phantom since you bring your full estus along with all of your expendable healing items. I think it's probably a change for the better.

Kyuur

so anyone doing a SL1 run yet?

Planning to start one after my initial playthrough. It's not as impressive as DS1 though, because if you die a bunch you can extinct the enemies. The only real hurdle is the bosses.

I'm nearing the end of the game now, I have to say my favorite boss design was probably
Demon of Song. Great design, fight was a little easy with a bow but I just loved the arena and atmosphere.

Does anyone else do 'themes' for their characters? My main character is a God of Fire, using Smelter Sword, Pyromancies and Old Sun Ring. My other one is a murderous battle Cleric using a
Great Demon Hammer
I got from the crows with a Petrified Something at the beginning of the game. I murder every PC outside of town I see. Great fun!

Sanctuary

So, is my DS3 just dying? I can't count how many times now where I've done a dodge, get up and try to block, only to notice that suddenly my shield is no longer equipped. Okay, "so maybe there are some attacks that disarm you?" I thought, but then I'll go to dodge and then when I try to attack, I suddenly start to heal (chime), or punching...what?!

Never had this issue with the previous games, and I know for a fact that it's physically impossible that I'm just hitting the d-pad all of the time on accident. I just got through playing Dark Souls a week before this arrived, and I didn't have that happen to me once.

Im SL 61, should I stop leveling? I'm trying to raise my dex and I enjoy being summoned so I have a ton of souls early game. I don't want to be punished.

Footos22

A ton of them are really well hidden so don't feel bad. Most people know about the early flasks and boss flasks but there are random ones hidden behind illusionary walls or passage ways with little to no foot traffic.

General locations are below:

2 in Majula
cardinal tower
2 in Brightstone Cove
Shaded Ruins
Shaded Woods
No Man's Wharf
Harvest Valley
Lost Bastille
Drangelic Castle (?)
Shrine of Amara

You can also strengthen the flask to +5 in the first run through (that I know of)

Theres one just as you enter earthen peak on the right just past the room with 2 hammer dudes in. You have to sort the
windmill
out first though.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Im SL 61, should I stop leveling? I'm trying to raise my dex and I enjoy being summoned so I have a ton of souls early game. I don't want to be punished.

the soul levels seem to be naturally higher in this game so level away.

Sanctuary

I was going to say only on bosses, but if I have trouble as a Sorcerer all I need to do is summon someone to act as a punching bag/distraction. Have yet to use Yearn though, maybe that would even help enough.

If you're going to be using mostly Sorceries, you're going to have to learn how to dodge...or simply raise your stats high enough to equip a good 100 phys res (or specific ele res)/decent stability shield with enough endurance to last more than a single big hit from a boss.

Otherwise, you'll have to learn how to dodge, and you're also going to want to have a decent backup melee weapon (you can get one early enough near the start that has pretty low requirements). Sorcery in general is not very good in this game until very late game. Hexes and Pyromancy are sadly superior in most instances.

Serra

Fuck the ogres (or whatever they are called, some ones that are in the tutorial area on the beach) in
Aldia's Keep
. They are basically the most annoyingly stupid enemy I have encountered so far. Their attacks have such an incredibly large hitbox, GAAAAHHHHHH

edit. SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK
-they have more HP than most bosses so far.
-they stagger me with every hit, 35 poise.
-their grab attack instakills me, physical resistance ~600 and 1600hp
-combo attacks break my shield (70 stability with 130 stamina) and kill me on the third hit.
-cant circle strafe them since their attacks have such a wide hitbox

Facism

mandems, i need to find a new Catalyst. I'm almost through the Iron Keep and all i've got are the starting catalyst and the bone catalyst. I need something with more bite.

Also, Smelter Demon BENT OVER AND MINED FOR SOULS. Helping bredrens coop through this cunt.

slayn

needs to show more effort.

She was the most valuable summon ever for me against new game+
The Lost Sinner + 2 black phantom pyro jerks. Sure, all she did was take hits to the face, but her face gave me the time I needed to kill the mages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom