• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
so anyone doing a SL1 run yet?
I started one but it is waaaay harder than DS1. The deprived sucks at everything. No spell slots. Can't equip anything. I spent like 2 hours plinking away at things with a broken sword + 3 (by far the best thing I found that I could equip). I might go back to it but man is it tedious.

SumGamer

I think there was another poster complaining about the same thing, they even posted pics. the other poster thought it was due to having an old fat ps3. wish I could be of more help. hope you find a solution.

Mine is the Slim model. Couldn't really dig up any info yet. Thanks anyway.

Guevara

I started one but it is waaaay harder than DS1. The deprived sucks at everything. No spell slots. Can't equip anything. I spent like 2 hours plinking away at things with a broken sword + 3 (by far the best thing I found that I could equip). I might go back to it but man is it tedious.

Low ADP sounds like it would be really unpleasant. It's not like DaS 1 when you could still roll, etc.

zsswimmer

I had to solo the
sentinels
on my first playthrough since the servers weren't online yet, and picked up a pretty good strategy. All you have to do is focus on the first sentinel on the ledge, kill him (while remaining on the ledge) and then drop down onto the other doing a drop-stab move. When the two other sentinels are together, keep them in front of you at all times, never let them separate and get behind you. If you have a good stability shield, you can block their attacks easily with very little stamina reduction and the fight becomes a matter of finding a good moment to strike in between blows, keeping them in front of you and blocking/ circling behind them.

It's really not as difficult as you might think.
Well perhaps I need to use a shield then, because I've just been getting by dodging and rolling with a firesword that I have wielded in the 2h position.

Raxus

Theres one just as you enter earthen peak on the right just past the room with 2 hammer dudes in. You have to sort the
windmill
out first though.

That's the harvest valley one. I lump it in there since it is still technically the first section of the level.

deeTyrant

Im SL 61, should I stop leveling? I'm trying to raise my dex and I enjoy being summoned so I have a ton of souls early game. I don't want to be punished.

If summoning is based on Soul History + Soul Level, then wouldn't stopping levelling hurt your chances of summoning in the future since you'd have a very high soul history and a relatively low soul level and would have less of a player base to summon or be summoned by?

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Question from a few pages ago: can I block parry or kick with two weapons?

Also, is it possible to lose my torch by leaving it on too long?

I'm obviously right near the beginning. My torch went out and now I can't relight it at bonfires :(

wickfut

Banned
On the cave/boat level... I clear a room of nasties, walk outside and hear a noise. On re-entering the room, 3 pirates and 2 dogs get beamed into the room surrounding me and killed me instantly.

Cheap and unfair

MilkBeard

The annoying thing about
the well
for me is that the fights are really laggy. Seems like every battle down there I'm getting stabbed from far away which is annoying. Every other PvP battle has been really smooth besides there. I much prefer PvP in other places. I could deal with the stupid rats if it weren't for the lag.

Grinchy

Banned
I've only beat five bosses so far.

I'll get there.

I know this feeling. At the beginning I started to re-think dual-wielding. Then I felt like I was destroying everything. Now I'm re-thinking it again because I am convinced that there is an input delay that creeps up at random times that gets me killed when I am trying to dodge.

Guevara

On the cave/boat level... I clear a room of nasties, walk outside and hear a noise. On re-entering the room, 3 pirates and 2 dogs get beamed into the room surrounding me and killed me instantly.

Cheap and unfair

Look harder. Those guys are hidden but there.

On a related note: this game loves ambushes. Overused in my opinion.

Fuck the ogres (or whatever they are called, some ones that are in the tutorial area on the beach) in
Aldia's Keep
. They are basically the most annoyingly stupid enemy I have encountered so far. Their attacks have such an incredibly large hitbox, GAAAAHHHHHH

edit. SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK
-they have more HP than most bosses so far.
-they stagger me with every hit, 35 poise.
-their grab attack instakills me, physical resistance ~600 and 1600hp
-combo attacks break my shield (70 stability with 130 stamina) and kill me on the third hit.
-cant circle strafe them since their attacks have such a wide hitbox

I just lured them out and ran past them. Fighting them is a waste of resources.

AkuMifune

Banned
If you're going to be using mostly Sorceries, you're going to have to learn how to dodge...or simply raise your stats high enough to equip a good 100 phys res (or specific ele res)/decent stability shield with enough endurance to last more than a single big hit from a boss.

Otherwise, you'll have to learn how to dodge, and you're also going to want to have a decent backup melee weapon (you can get one early enough near the start that has pretty low requirements). Sorcery in general is not very good in this game until very late game. Hexes and Pyromancy are sadly superior in most instances.

I was being a bit facetious, I'm fine with dodging. I've actually beaten 3 bosses using only regular soul arrows, and haven't died more than 3 or 4 times yet so I'm tempted to think Sorcery is OP. If it gets stronger later that's even more disappointing as I won't need anything else. I even upped my Dex to use a Rapier in the chance I need melee, but haven't even needed it yet as I'm up to 90 soul arrows and they take out everything in a couple hits.

Although my next fight is against the
Ruin Sentinels
and I may need a different strategy.

I know this feeling. At the beginning I started to re-think dual-wielding. Then I felt like I was destroying everything. Now I'm re-thinking it again because I am convinced that there is an input delay that creeps up at random times that gets me killed when I am trying to dodge.

There is something about the animations and new game engine that creates a feeling of "lag" when trying to attack and dodge quickly. Also, you can get hit without even realizing it, thinking you cleanly side stepped or rolled away, since there's less "weight" to attacks that don't stagger you. All of this makes playing a nimble character less fun than Dark Souls, to me.

Sanctuary

Fuck the ogres (or whatever they are called, some ones that are in the tutorial area on the beach) in
Aldia's Keep
. They are basically the most annoyingly stupid enemy I have encountered so far. Their attacks have such an incredibly large hitbox, GAAAAHHHHHH

-combo attacks break my shield (70 stability with 130 stamina) and kill me on the third hit.

Yep, they are pretty stupid and like I bitched about in the review thread, the hitboxes in this game are all kinds of messed up in many instances. A few weapons in the other games had "phantom reach", but enemies were never an issue (aside from the Silver Knights with the spear). In this game, many attacks that shouldn't hit you do, while some just pass right through your body. Also, the attacks that look like they should hit seem wildly random. Sometimes they do hit, yet other times they pass right through you as through the game is flipping a coin.

The dodge is the biggest culprit though. If this game had the same dodge as the previous two games, you wouldn't notice these issues nearly as much, because the other two games had way more i-frames on startup, and the startup was much faster.

Clevinger

Cheap and unfair

I explored that entire level twice and that never happened to me. Either it's a bug or you triggered a group of enemies' aggro without realizing it. There's also at least a couple of holes in roofs in that area.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Uhm, interesting.

My wife is playing as a Sorcerer (she loves sorceries), but she's getting really frustrated with how limited sorceries are in the initial part of the game. She also likes Katanas and upped DEX on her character, but still no luck finding one. In the first game it was easier to become decent at the start.

Thinking about it a little more, I wonder if that 10 point dead patch is there because of Hexes. It seems like Dark scaling for hex builds starts falling off around 30/30 INT/FTH, so I wonder if the idea is to make what would be the final 10 INT points for a hexer build not give good sorcery build stats to make it harder to mix-and-match sorceries and hexes.

Just a theory I came up with while boning up on hex builds since this game's version of Grant is dark-based instead of faith-based and I wanna use it.

Vlade

Aldia's Keep

Some enemies prefer a strategy where you don't get hit. sometimes i go power stance (like on those guys or against the giants) and roll. Sometimes i go shield and poise, like in no man's wharf.

So I cheekily offer you the greatest advice in all of Dark Souls: STOP SUCKING

Yep, they are pretty stupid and like I bitched about in the review thread, the hitboxes in this game are all kinds of messed up in many instances. A few weapons in the other games had "phantom reach", but enemies were never an issue (aside from the Silver Knights with the spear). In this game, many attacks that shouldn't hit you do, while some just pass right through your body. Also, the attacks that look like they should hit seem wildly random. Sometimes they do hit, yet other times they pass right through you as through the game is flipping a coin.

The dodge is the biggest culprit though. If this game had the same dodge as the previous two games, you wouldn't notice these issues nearly as much, because the other two games had way more i-frames on startup, and the startup was much faster.

I miss point blank attacks with the falchion all the time. Just swing right through the enemy, no hit.

Daedalux

Neo Member
So, guys, I'm trying to get my DkS2 char as similar as my DkS one but to no avail.

I'm looking for a nice shield+big sword guy with some pyromanceries minced in.

What stats should I go for? :(

Celegus

So, is my DS3 just dying? I can't count how many times now where I've done a dodge, get up and try to block, only to notice that suddenly my shield is no longer equipped. Okay, "so maybe there are some attacks that disarm you?" I thought, but then I'll go to dodge and then when I try to attack, I suddenly start to heal (chime), or punching...what?!

Never had this issue with the previous games, and I know for a fact that it's physically impossible that I'm just hitting the d-pad all of the time on accident. I just got through playing Dark Souls a week before this arrived, and I didn't have that happen to me once.

One of my controllers does this as well, but it does do it in other games too. It'll be fine for a while, then all of a sudden (always at a terrible time) the d-pad and triggers just start freaking out, unequipping my weapon and punching and all kinds of dumb stuff.

It might be because of past experience, but I'm farther in Dark Souls II than I ever got in in Demon's Souls or 1, and I am having a blast. Just got to Drangleic Castle and it feels like this is where the real shit is about to start.

Sanctuary

Same level as DS1, not worse but I wouldn't put it over DS1. On par.

There's a lot of things I really don't like about this game. But at the same time, there's a whole lot to like just as much, if not more over the previous game. So while I was initially learning towards it being the third best of the series, it's becoming almost tied with Dark Souls for me. Maybe the PC version will change my mind, but for now it's still the third best, if only barely behind.

One of my controllers does this as well, but it does do it in other games too. It'll be fine for a while, then all of a sudden (always at a terrible time) the d-pad and triggers just start freaking out, unequipping my weapon and punching and all kinds of dumb stuff.

Okay. Looks like I will need to break down and buy a new controller then. Just not sure if I want to go ahead and upgrade to a DS4 or not. I'll be playing this on the PC, and I know for a fact that the DS3 works just fine, but AFAIK the drivers aren't that mature for the DS4 on PC yet.

MilkBeard

Cheap and unfair

I've been up and down that place; what I've found is that there are multiple guys hiding on various levels; on the ground floor, inside, on an upper level, on the rooftops. Sometimes they fall off or if you aggro them they will chase you and it seems like they appear out of no where.

Toxi

Banned
Not silly at all. the NPCs in Souls games are always so interesting because they are either broken in some way, bewildered, or are just completely mad.
Yeah, I like how they have this strange unique character that's fun and disconcerting at the same time. Only a few other characters in games have the same qualities; I'm thinking of the infamous cockney merchant in Resident Evil 4.
Too bad she's kinda useless as a summon.
Just like Lautrec LOL.

CornDogg

Redboxed this over the weekend (PS3 version), having never played a Souls game before. Here's how it went.

Not knowing what I was doing, I went with a Knight, thinking the additional health mentioned in the class description would be useful.

To set me back a little more, I missed the starting tutorial area, as I didn't know it was safe to enter the mist.

Of course, I died. A lot. I got in a little over 12 hours of time in, but (presumably) didn't make it very far.

I beat
The Last Giant (or Vag-face, as I preferred to call him)
in the Forest of the Fallen Giants, but skipped out on an area unlocked with his key
where a bunch of armored turtle-looking things are
and went on to the Tower of Flame.

I didn't get very far here. I eventually made it past the
armored knights and beat The Old Dragonslayer
in the Cathedral of Blue.
The ring just outside the Cathedral that raises the cap on health lost from Hallowing was particularly nice.

I then doubled back to the Tower of Flame and took out
The Dragonrider

And that was it. I went a little further into the Tower, but not much, so I ended up beating 3 bosses in 12 hours. Ended around level 35-37, I think.

Some impressions:
The music and VO work seemed pretty good, though the framerate issues on the PS3 were unfortunate. Maybe it was because I had gotten used to playing on the PS4, but the graphics looked fairly bad. I eventually adjusted to them, though.

The load times were also kind of annoying, especially since you have to wait for things to load again every time you die. And I died a lot.

Overall, though, I liked it. I probably missed a ton of stuff, and I died a lot, but it was fun. I'd probably pick up a PS4 version, if they decide to release one. Hopefully that (or a PC version) would resolve some of the technical shortcomings.

Sullichin

Aldia's Keep

I ran past any that were in the water. Fuck that.
Is there a ring to walk faster in water this time? I haven't found one.

So far I have the Large Club, Archdrake Great Axe (might have messed up that name), Smelter Sword, Black Knight Ultra Greatsword, Zweihander, and Lightning Bastard Sword all fully upgraded. I have another slab. Any other STR weapons I should upgrade? I was thinking maybe one of the hammers.

Does two handing a weapon also raise your damage in addition of lowering requirements?
no, your attack rating is the same 1 handed and 2 handed now. However, 2H attacks are generally stronger, and some of them seem to do more poise damage

Hystzen

Man some bizarre design choices in this game compared to other souls games.

Lost Bastille and sinners rise is just like designer said fuck it mobs of enemies all around you in every room.

Those curse pots have some crazy ass range even affect you if they on a level above or below you.

Skelton lords was considered a good idea for a boss wtf it terrible horde mode arena

ironcreed

Banned
I really love how you can be going through a dark area, thinking you cleaned house, only to hear faint footsteps coming up behind you and you turn around and instinctively lay waste to whatever was about to jump you. Awesome moments.

Kyuur

Does anyone know if there is a farmable way to get Skeptic's Spices? I'm trying to figure out if Miracles are do-able on a SL1 run.

Grisby

Decided to try out summoning on
Lost Sinner
and killed him.

I feel like a cheater. This is horrible. :((
I never co-op'd much in previous games. Enjoying the hell out of it here.

It is easier, but a lot of times (well for me) the host just runs ahead and dies so it hasn't been a complete win/win situation.

Sullichin

I really love how you can be going through a dark area, thinking you cleaned house, only to hear faint footsteps coming up behind you and you turn around and instinctively lay waste to whatever was about to jump you. Awesome moments.

Yes. I really like the lunging (forward + R1 attacks) in this game. There's lots of moments where the enemy placement is perfectly set up for me to use it.

Sullichin

PvP is pretty much non-existent after SL 120.
Especially covernants are useless now.

Try invading in the Castle or Throne of Want, or join the bell covenant and get summoned to the second tower. I think i'm SL126 now and still getting lots of action.

edit: double post, thought this thread was faster than that. Come on guys.

Serra

So far I have the Large Club, Archdrake Great Axe (might have messed up that name), Smelter Sword, Black Knight Ultra Greatsword, Zweihander, and Lightning Bastard Sword all fully upgraded. I have another slab. Any other STR weapons I should upgrade? I was thinking maybe one of the hammers.

By far my favorite weapon is the greatsword. Try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom