• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Already forwarded all the streams linked or mentioned in this & the spoiler thread to the community manager on reddit. Feel free to continue to post 'em, I'd be happy to get more shut down as well.

http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100607222013/villains/images/4/43/Randal.png[/IMG

You seriously remind me of Randall. Was he based off you?

koryuken

Already forwarded all the streams linked or mentioned in this & the spoiler thread to the community manager on reddit. Feel free to continue to post 'em, I'd be happy to get more shut down as well.

Snitches get stitches... No one ever taught you not to rat on people huh?

Doombear

He's playing the YOLO class -- swordsman with no shield. Much respect, but I won't be playing that class until maybe a second play-through.

Ok sure, but he is just go go go go go go! Doesn't even try to pick enemies off. It is actually really enjoyable.

UnrealEck

Going from that stream footage, not only do the graphics look bad, the areas are very bland in comparison to the first two games. Lots of square rooms and areas with a few pots lying around and nothing else.

Sanctuary

What seems to be the easiest class to begin with?

Probably not going to stray that much from the previous two games. Explorer might be the easiest for a first run due to item availability, and if you ordered the BA edition, you wouldn't have to worry about starter weapons (if you actually chose to use them anyway).

If I had to guess, probably sorcerer for most people.

Maybe, although my first character in Dark was a Pryo; because I mistakenly assumed it was going to be a "fire mage" type of class. Instead, it just turned out to be the second uber min/max class that I picked for a first playthrough (aka the Royal). I really didn't like the Sorcerer in Dark though, and typically just played it like a melee class for most enemies until the decent spells became available. Even though Soul Arrow has a much greater range than Fireball, I fucking hated it on any kind of moving target. You adjust and anticipate with it, but it's not very user friendly, especially if you're trying to make every Arrow count. The Pyro just felt like a cheat code class in comparison. Even though you still had to use souls to level the flame up, it just starts out a lot stronger and it misses much less often.

I guess I was going off on a tangent. It just depends on what the starting spell will be, or if they've actually tweaked SA enough to suck less early on.

Going from that stream footage, not only do the graphics look bad, the areas are very bland in comparison to the first two games. Lots of square rooms and areas with a few pots lying around and nothing else.

This has been one of my major gripes from the get go. Environments just look bland compared to previous games.

Probably not going to stray that much from the previous two games. Explorer might be the easiest for a first run due to item availability, and if you ordered the BA edition, you wouldn't have to worry about starter weapons (if you actually chose to use them anyway).

Maybe, although my first character in Dark was a Pryo; because I mistakenly assumed it was going to be a "fire mage" type of class. Instead, it just turned out to be the second uber min/max class that I picked for a first playthrough (aka the Royal). I really didn't like the Sorcerer in Dark though, and typically just played it like a melee class for most enemies until the decent spells became available. Even though Soul Arrow has a much greater range than Fireball, I fucking hated it on any kind of moving target. You adjust and anticipate with it, but it's not very user friendly, especially if you're trying to make ever Arrow count.

I'd have to agree with Explorer. Not only because of items, but the stats aren't bad either. Good Vitality, the highest Adaptability (sounds like a good stat starting out), above average attunement for more spells, all other stats are also pretty average.

Mutombo

This has been one of my major gripes from the get go. Environments just look bland compared to previous games.

Even though I just watched 13 seconds of the stream and I must say, that one room did look uninspired, I also read a bunch of comments wowing at the diversity and beauty of other environments.

So yeah, let's wait sommo'.

Gorillaz

Yea I didn't know what to call it before but, some of the "parts" I've seen do look kind of like reused parts and pieces from the past

Even though I just watched 13 seconds of the stream and I must say, that one room did look uninspired, I also read a bunch of comments wowing at the diversity and beauty of other environments.

So yeah, let's wait sommo'.

Honestly the game is stunning in other areas.
Especially the cities
The ones his been in the last couple of hours are meant to be oppressive.

youre-no-fun---odd-for-a-unicorn-86960634613.jpeg

This game is going to be a loooot harder then Dark Souls, thats for fucking sure. I knew they said they'd ramp up the difficulty, but, goddamn.

This game is going to be a loooot harder then Dark Souls, thats for fucking sure. I knew they said they'd ramp up the difficulty, but, goddamn.

I like their focus on larger mobs. It's really going to force you to think differently about combat. Harder to turtle up when people are sneaking up behind you.

So what are the thoughts of people who have been watching a lot of streams? Overall, does it appear to be on the same level of DS1 or a downgrade?

Sanctuary

Honestly the game is stunning in other areas.
Especially the cities
The ones his been in the last couple of hours are meant to be oppressive.

Being opressive doesn't have anything to do with something looking bland.

On another note, I feel really sorry for everyone watching streams. You can't unsee what's been seen.

Did they opt out of having a PvP arena this time around? Kinda sad, when I was on the 360 it wasn't out and buy the time I jumped on the PC version the arena was completely dead. I have yet to get into an arena match.

So nobody answered this before is there invasions after an area boss has been defeated?

AngryMoth

Agh, the wait is getting painful now I know there are people out there streaming it. Still a week to go :(. Haven't been so psyched for a game in a long, long time.

tookhster

Are people really judging the game from a few shit quality streams? I haven't seen them myself so I'm being ignorant, but aren't most leaked streams usually in horrible quality?

Are people really judging the game from a few shit quality streams? I haven't seen them myself so I'm being ignorant, but aren't most leaked streams usually in horrible quality?

Majorly ignoring all talk on the game... but now you have my curiosity.

What are the complaints? That the graphics are ass?

Being opressive doesn't have anything to do with something looking bland.

On another note, I feel really sorry for everyone watching streams. You can't unsee what's been seen.

Feel sorry for who exactly? I cant wait to get it and iv'e been watching the stream for ages. Gameplay>>>>Graphics

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I really with there was an option to lock the camera behind the player... I play 90% of the time without lock-on, but when you get in mobs, the camera can be really annoying.

The second Ratchet and Clank game gave you the option to lock-strafe... and all the games there and after were better for it.

Souls would be better with lock strafe.

Maybe next game. Did anyone ever try to mod DS on PC to have lock-strafe?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
One of the gestures should be sheath weapons.

I love the cutscenes where you see your dude with the weapons sheathed, would be cool if you could force it during gameplay with a gesture. Even if it's just to make cool screenshots or whatever.

Pretty much everything. Sounds good so far. I was worried that it was going to be dumbed down

I think many were worried about the difficulty aspect, Those fears are put to rest I can assure you, They'll be cries of Nerf's too the enemys. Animation is looking smooth, Dual wielding for all it's downfalls looks total badass in motion. We are all in for a treat with this game!

convo

Are people suggesting that the tomb of the giants was a visual masterpiece or something,what was there to admire visually?The great lightning engine of the first Dark Souls when you lit up?
Having no regards for spoilers myself i think it trumps the first game by leaps and bounds. There is no contest in the firelink shrine-equivalent in this game.
There is no shortage of moody and pretty places in dark souls 2 thanks to the lightning engine.
Seeing small chunks of games like dark souls is not a good indicator to the feel of the game. Like commenting how much the streamer sucks at something, he eventually beats that boss in the way he wanted so what was that first comment of how much he sucks at this of any use.
Would you guys mind giving your opinion on the enemy behavior perhaps, or would that require spoiling a whole lot more for yourself?
I think you need more time for an impression, time most of you should not be investing in if you care for your own experience.

I say reserve judgement for yourself. Going in the deep end and following along the journey of a streamer is perhaps not suited to a lot people.

Mupod

Feel sorry for who exactly? I cant wait to get it and iv'e been watching the stream for ages. Gameplay>>>>Graphics

are you serious?

Dark souls would have been such a lesser experience if I always knew what was around the next corner. Going through a fog door after a really tough section, thinking I was about to get reamed by a boss only to find a bonfire with Solaire chilling by it comes to mind. I don't know why someone who's actually looking forward to the game would eliminate that entire aspect of it.

You're free to do what you want, I don't give a shit, but don't try and tell me that watching someone play through the whole game isn't going to matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom