• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
The framerate is way batter than dark souls 1. It's unlocked, so it rises to 40/50 in some areas. Doesn't drop too below 30 when the screen is filled with all sort of shit.
Damn, this is my first time reading this. One of my biggest visual pet peeves is an unlocked framerate. I never got used to it even after 50+ hours playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on Wii U. It's distracting because I don't like the stuttering effect it causes. Guess I'll have to deal with it.

Uiki

Damn, this is my first time reading this. One of my biggest visual pet peeves is an unlocked framerate. I never got used to it even after 50+ hours playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on Wii U. It's distracting because I don't like the stuttering effect it causes. Guess I'll have to deal with it.

It's not that bad. Constant drops below 25 are way worse imho, visually and gameplay-wise.

It's REALLY evident only when you look up at the sky.

This game is going to be a loooot harder then Dark Souls, thats for fucking sure. I knew they said they'd ramp up the difficulty, but, goddamn.
I thought Dark Souls was overly forgiving in a lot of aspects, so this has me excited. The dichotomy of opinions in impressions have me confused at times, though. On one hand, I hear people saying that the game has been a lot more harsher and challenging, while on the other, I hear people complaining that the game has become too easy due to it now being geared for casuals with an abundance of healing items.

OrigiNull

I noticed it during the Gamespot stream they did. He had the camera turned so there wasn't much in view and it looked super smooth for a couple seconds, then back to normal shortly after... its a lot easier to stomach 30 fps when you never see it run higher :(

Uiki

I thought Dark Souls was overly forgiving in a lot of aspects, so this has me excited. The dichotomy of opinions in impressions have me confused at times, though. On one hand, I hear people saying that the game has been a lot more harsher and challenging, while on the other, I hear people complaining that the game has become too easy due to it now being geared for casuals with an abundance of healing items.

I can't speak for the rest of the game.. but the first areas are WAY easier than the first 2 games.

I started with a deprived. I can only see it becoming more forgiving with standard classes.

Mana Sin

I talked to another Amazon rep, and he seems unable to get me an estimated delivery date at all, let alone one for the 11th. I have no idea what's up with that.

Should I try canceling my order and re-ordering or something?

Would be interested to see the make-up of these opinion holders in regards to who has played the game and who hasn't. Most of the chicken littles who think the series is ruined are all reacting to vaguely reported news and making up their own outrage as they go.

Valnen

This game is going to be a loooot harder then Dark Souls, thats for fucking sure. I knew they said they'd ramp up the difficulty, but, goddamn.

Honestly Dark Souls wasn't even very hard for most of the game. It had some scenarios here and there where the difficulty went up a bit (like the DLC) but honestly I breezed through quite a large portion of it, and I wasn't even a pyromancer.

Soriku

I decided to watch a little bit of that Kenneth stream earlier and had the same overall impressions. Game looks fun but the art direction is mostly bland and the lighting looks really basic.

Lots of tiled repeated textures and boxy rooms with no apparent purpose, the animations are floaty looking and just not up to the standard of the other Souls games. Really disappointed at the apparent lack of boss intros too. Those helped make bosses feel special, it's not the same without them.

I'm still looking forward to playing it next week but it feels like something is missing here to me. Oh and make sure you don't voice any concerns in chat, you'll get lynched by the mob.

Judging a 60+ hour game from a short stream is pointless. It's not like every single part of the other two games were visual wonders.

Also there are still boss intros. I saw a GIF version of the
Pursuer
intro and it looked awesome. Not every boss had an intro in Dark Souls 1 either.

daniels

In Demons and Dark you basically had infinite healing items with grasses and humanity...oh and when I die in dark souls its usually not because i run out of healing items lol

Valnen

Then Demon's Souls must also be casual because I can farm shit loads of grass in that game.

Deadstar

These impressions are scaring me. I can deal with terrible graphics. These are old systems, but bad animations are another story. I really hope they aren't as bad as people are saying.

I talked to another Amazon rep, and he seems unable to get me an estimated delivery date at all, let alone one for the 11th. I have no idea what's up with that.

Should I try canceling my order and re-ordering or something?

If your delivery estimate is still 11th, I wouldn't worry that much. Amazon at times ships the item to me a day before the estimate. I have selected 2 day ship but for some reason (probably logistics) they end up being shipped overnight to my place.

Like last tuesday I bought SH vita with 2-day ship and estimated arrival of today.It never got shipped that tuesday, but amazon overnight shipped it yesterday and the package is on its way now to my place. Maybe they figured out its cheaper this way.

These impressions are scaring me. I can deal with terrible graphics. These are old systems, but bad animations are another story. I really hope they aren't as bad as people are saying.

I played the demo. And the one thing I did not like was the character animation. It was way too smooth / fluid. I hope i'm saying it because i'm still not used to it. But imo DkS nailed the character movement.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
here comes the expected backlash now that the series is popular. the internet never fails :)

Soriku

If you've seen DkS2 footage you know what they look like.

I like the running animation in DkS1 more, but the one in 2 isn't bad...just different.

Anyway, running animation really isn't that big of a deal.

JoeFenix

Judging a 60+ hour game from a short stream is pointless. It's not like every single part of the other two games were visual wonders.

Also there are still boss intros. I saw a GIF version of the
Pursuer
intro and it looked awesome. Not every boss had an intro in Dark Souls 1 either.

Obviously I'm not condemning the game entirely based on half an hour of stream time. I'm still going to play it and give it a fair shot but the game is at the very least VERY inconsistent and the areas I've seen (and played through in the Beta) were more boring than anything I've seen in both previous games in the series.

Glad to hear that some bosses atleast have intros though, I know there were a couple that didn't have them in previous games but the vast majority of bosses had a cool intro. The 3 or 4 boss fights I've caught glimpses of in DS2 didn't have one.

It's clear that this game is directed by someone with different sensibilities, I'm sure some things will be for the better but the visual design of these games was a huge part of the appeal for me. It's just not as interesting from what I've seen.

Dresden

Glad to hear that some bosses atleast have intros though, I know there were a couple that didn't have them in previous games but the vast majority of bosses had a cool intro. The 3 or 4 boss fights I've caught glimpses of in DS2 didn't have one.

Eh... most of the bosses in Dark didn't have them (including the final boss himself). It's Demon's that had the nifty intros, but Dark pared them away for the most part. And that's with the same director.

Deadstar

Thanks!

I hope its not very distracting for me.

I will probably double dip on PC anyways...

I actually thought the run animation was weird in Dark Souls after playing Demon's so much. I got used to it and ended up loving the game. I think it just seems strange because we aren't used to it yet.

nynt9

I decided to watch a little bit of that Kenneth stream earlier and had the same overall impressions. Game looks fun but the art direction is mostly bland and the lighting looks really basic.

Lots of tiled repeated textures and boxy rooms with no apparent purpose, the animations are floaty looking and just not up to the standard of the other Souls games. Really disappointed at the apparent lack of boss intros too. Those helped make bosses feel special, it's not the same without them.

I'm still looking forward to playing it next week but it feels like something is missing here to me. Oh and make sure you don't voice any concerns in chat, you'll get lynched by the mob.

I've seen some areas with great lightning and several boss intros from that very stream.

Namely
The Last Giant
and
The Rotten
had intros.

JoeFenix

Eh... most of the bosses in Dark didn't have them (including the final boss himself). It's Demon's that had the nifty intros, but Dark pared them away for the most part. And that's with the same director.

I guess that's true now that I think about it. The ones that were there just stick in my mind.

Stuff like the intros to Ornstein and Smough, Artorias, Sif, The Gaping Dragon and pretty much every boss in Demon's Souls is what I'm hoping to see in DS2.

But yeah, not much else to say at this point without having played the entire thing.

I guess that's true now that I think about it. The ones that were there just stick in my mind.

Stuff like the intros to Ornstein and Smough, Artorias, Sif, The Gaping Dragon and pretty much every boss in Demon's Souls is what I'm hoping to see in DS2.

But yeah, not much else to say at this point without having played the entire thing.

Stop over reacting mun! it will be fine :)

Raw64life

Watched about an hour or so between 3 different streams, and maybe it's just the stream quality but the graphics do seem like they got worse from DS1 somehow. A lot of the textures are Dreamcast level. Still a day 1 purchase.

Mana Sin

If your delivery estimate is still 11th, I wouldn't worry that much. Amazon at times ships the item to me a day before the estimate. I have selected 2 day ship but for some reason (probably logistics) they end up being shipped overnight to my place.

It seems that my current problem is that I do not have a delivery estimate at all.

Off the top of my head:

Demon's
-Tower Knight
-Penetrator
-False King
-Flamelurker
-Dragon God
-Fool's Idol
-Old Monk
-Old Hero
-Stormking
-Leechmonger
-Maiden Astrea

Dark:
-Bell Gargoyles
-Quelaag
-Gaping Dragon
-Sif
-Ornstein and Smough
-Pinwheel
-Gwyndolin
-Centipede Demon
-Gravelord Nito
-Seath the Scaleless
-Knight Artorias
-Manus

About the sameish

Soriku

I was actually disappointed Gwyn didn't have an intro or any lines like Gwyndolin.

Why are you guys worried about delivery. Am I missing something here? I haven;t even pre ordered the BA edition yet, its still in my basket lol but the delivery is still for launch day in EU.

Those healing items, are shit. They're useless during battle. Flasks are harder to use too, since they're slower.

Joei

The intros were great. I love the intro to the Tower Knight in a Demon's. I found it odd that Dark kind of went away from how Demon's did them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom