• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

elhav

Already forwarded all the streams linked or mentioned in this & the spoiler thread to the community manager on reddit. Feel free to continue to post 'em, I'd be happy to get more shut down as well.
pzTDW.jpg

Kazaam

I have a couple of probably basic questions, but I just can't seem to find the answers anywhere. For those who've been watching the streams for some time now, is there confirmation about the "no longer being invincible while parrying or back stabbing"? I've heard
there's a big focus in fighting groups this time around.

Also I have a preorder for the PS3 Black Armour edition for like 2 months, but I just heard someone saying that besides the steelbook case and soundtrack, the Black Armour Edition also comes with a code for weapons and armour? Is that true? I don't want to know what weapons/armour, just if it's true.

Umbasa.

are you serious?

Dark souls would have been such a lesser experience if I always knew what was around the next corner. Going through a fog door after a really tough section, thinking I was about to get reamed by a boss only to find a bonfire with Solaire chilling by it comes to mind. I don't know why someone who's actually looking forward to the game would eliminate that entire aspect of it.

You're free to do what you want, I don't give a shit, but don't try and tell me that watching someone play through the whole game isn't going to matter.

I think you overestimate things, The guy im watching is barely a master and there is ALOT going on which I wont even remember by the time I get the game, It's basically him just going anywhere and dying a lot. So he is far from ruining things for me personally.

It's you actually telling me that watching will matter, When It couldn't be further from the truth, I didn't see the start and his not near the end so hardly watching him play through the whole game.

Deadstar

I know where I can go, or not if I dont want to see spoilers.

My point is that there may be unwanted spoilers posted randomly without notice on the internet that are unavoidable. Comment sections on youtube etc that could spoil things. I agree you can not watch the streams if you don't want to be spoiled but then that info is still out there...waiting...lurking...

I have a couple of probably basic questions, but I just can't seem to find the answers anywhere. For those who've been watching the streams for some time now, is there confirmation about the "no longer being invincible while parrying or back stabbing"? I've heard
there's a big focus in fighting groups this time around.

Also I have a preorder for the PS3 Black Armour edition for like 2 months, but I just heard someone saying that besides the steelbook case and soundtrack, the Black Armour Edition also comes with a code for weapons and armour? Is that true? I don't want to know what weapons/armour, just if it's true.

Umbasa.

His playing offline, But his dual wielding swords the one im watching so I haven't seen him parry, As for backstabbing.
Yes backstabbing also means you take damage as it's happened too him, Seems a big focus on groups on enemies

yeb

So, I've never used GMG before. If I buy it through GMG for the promo code, would I have to keep some kind of GMG client running whenever I want to play the game, or could I just run it through Steam and forget about GMG after installing the game?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
So, I've never used GMG before. If I buy it through GMG for the promo code, would I have to keep some kind of GMG client running whenever I want to play the game, or could I just run it through Steam and forget about GMG after installing the game?
They email you a code to redeem on steam the day of release. They do it at an arbitrary time of day though so you likely won't get to play it at midnight or whenever it releases. No additional clients required.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
My point is that there may be unwanted spoilers posted randomly without notice on the internet that are unavoidable. Comment sections on youtube etc that could spoil things. I agree you can not watch the streams if you don't want to be spoiled but then that info is still out there...waiting...lurking...

You can't stop that.

Only one solution... SHUT DOWN THE INTERNETS.

This game is gonna be really hard to speed through. In Dark Souls on consecutive playthroughs I would use the master key and rush through everything to get my gear and unlock pvp zones. Seems like they are forcing you to play a lot more methodically.

What kind of numbers do you think we'll see on the Steamcharts? It's already a top seller.

I just bought the game on gmg. I think they will just give you the voucher code to put into steam. It says I won't get it until game is near release or something.

I think many were worried about the difficulty aspect, Those fears are put to rest I can assure you, They'll be cries of Nerf's too the enemys. Animation is looking smooth, Dual wielding for all it's downfalls looks total badass in motion. We are all in for a treat with this game!

Now for the most difficult boss fight ever - waiting until next week :p

VoidZero

Banned
No, you get a steam key. Then just use it to add the game to steam.

kvn

Go read and finish a book or have some sandwiches until next week then.

Do you really want spoilers being posted everywhere? I'm with this guy. Shut it all down. I only want to know how the game runs, but I don't want any spoilers.

Who are you to decide? If you don't want to see spoilers, that's not my problem. Why the fuck should the entire world have to beckon to you to censor everything? We aren't harming you, and spoilers aren't coming from streams either.

And that's the streams problems because...? Jesus you people are so anti-spoiler you'll censor everything in the world to bend to your will. It's as though one fucking spoiler and your entire life is ruined.

So far from what I've seen, DS2's graphics don't have the same "shininess" as DS1. This is obvious when comparing same armor sets between both games (elite knight). The environments also seem pretty dull and same-y (lots of dead forest looking areas with different names). Lighting and weather/cloth effects are obviously in a different league though. I also haven't heard any music yet that stood out to me, other than the
Ornstein
fight.

Deadstar

Who are you to decide? If you don't want to see spoilers, that's not my problem. Why the fuck should the entire world have to beckon to you to censor everything? We aren't harming you, and spoilers aren't coming from streams either.

Alright, you convinced me. Let the streams flow like salmon up river!

March 11 can't come soon enough....though I hope Amazon sends out my copy on release day....

Feindflug

I think many were worried about the difficulty aspect, Those fears are put to rest I can assure you, They'll be cries of Nerf's too the enemys. Animation is looking smooth, Dual wielding for all it's downfalls looks total badass in motion. We are all in for a treat with this game!

Looks challenging that's for sure but from what I've seen the animations look worse than the first game and visually it looks like a mixed bag with some really good looking areas while others are extremely bland, the game lacks the consistency of Demon's and Dark art direction wise and tech wise (lighting looks completely flat in some areas while texture quality in some spots looked horrible) plus I hated some of the voice acting. The 360 version also running like shit doesn't help either.

Too be honest my hype went down after seeing some streams today and I had a let's "wait and see" approach on the game till now. Something looks and feels off about the game. :(

You guys should play Rogue Legacy over the weekend if you haven't played it already. Great time killer.... once it has it's barbs in you, you won't want to stop and before you know it, it'll already be DS2 time :)

Uiki

Tried for 2.5 hours.

The framerate is way batter than dark souls 1. It's unlocked, so it rises to 40/50 in some areas. Doesn't drop too below 30 when the screen is filled with all sort of shit.

Feels a little different than before.. I'm not sure if I'm liking it as much as demon and ds1.

The
fast
travel is bullshit :/

Hmm, I really can't decide what class to start as on my first playthrough. Dual Swordsman looks really fun, but I just don't know if that would be a wise choice on my first go. I didn't really like how Dark Souls did magic with the limited number of uses (preferred how Demon's Souls did it even if it made the game a bit easier), but... iirc, there are now items that replenish your magic uses, so maybe it won't be so bad this time. I was a Pyromancer in Dark Souls 1 - is that still available in this game? I don't see it in the OP. I'm leaning toward either Sorcerer, Bandit, or Swordsman.

Looks challenging that's for sure but from what I've seen the animations look worse than the first game and visually it looks like a mixed bag with some really good looking areas while others are extremely bland, the game lacks the consistency of Demon's and Dark art direction wise and tech wise (lighting looks completely flat in some areas while texture quality in some spots looked horrible) plus I hated some of the voice acting. The 360 version also running like shit doesn't help either.

Too be honest my hype went down after seeing some streams today and I had a let's "wait and see" approach on the game till now. Something looks and feels off about the game. :(

I think it's a lot more fluid, The running, Enemies aren't as predictable especially in groups, Streams don't help matters when it comes to looks I suppose, But the hitbox one had a good quality and some of the visuals were a treat.

In the end were all hyped as can be when it come to DS, Roll on next week when we can all play it and go from there :D

Tried for 2.5 hours.

The framerate is way batter than dark souls 1. It's unlocked, so it rises to 40/50 in some areas. Doesn't drop too below 30 when the screen is filled with all sort of shit.

Feels a little different than before.. I'm not sure if I'm liking it as much as demon and ds1.

The
fast
travel is bullshit :/

Ps3 or 360?

Hmm, I really can't decide what class to start as on my first playthrough. Dual Swordsman looks really fun, but I just don't know if that would be a wise choice on my first go. I didn't really like how Dark Souls did magic with the limited number of uses (preferred how Demon's Souls did it even if it made the game a bit easier), but... iirc, there are now items that replenish your magic uses, so maybe it won't be so bad this time. I was a Pyromancer in Dark Souls 1 - is that still available in this game? I don't see it in the OP. I'm leaning toward either Sorcerer, Bandit, or Swordsman.

Pyromancy is now grouped in with sorcery.

Luigi87

Just pre-ordered for PC at GMG for $40.
Got the first game on PS3, but I can wait the extra month and some for this one... especially since the PS3 version would have cost me $79 after tax.

Gorillaz

Jackben trolled us huh

just wanted you to know from the bottom of my heart
that you ain't shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

JoeFenix

I decided to watch a little bit of that Kenneth stream earlier and had the same overall impressions. Game looks fun but the art direction is mostly bland and the lighting looks really basic.

Lots of tiled repeated textures and boxy rooms with no apparent purpose, the animations are floaty looking and just not up to the standard of the other Souls games. Really disappointed at the apparent lack of boss intros too. Those helped make bosses feel special, it's not the same without them.

I'm still looking forward to playing it next week but it feels like something is missing here to me. Oh and make sure you don't voice any concerns in chat, you'll get lynched by the mob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom