• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that my current problem is that I do not have a delivery estimate at all.
Oops glanced over that part of your question. Never encountered that one before. Did you preorder the BA Edition? Because If you really want the BA edition, just preorder from Best buy. They still have it. Just return the one from Amazon (to BB or amz) once you received it.

nynt9

Guys. Seriously. This game has intros. There were several during the stream. JoeFenix is just wrong. Can we move on to something else?

elhav

The intros were great. I love the intro to the Tower Knight in a Demon's. I found it odd that Dark kind of went away from how Demon's did them.
Yeah, it gave the bosses some more personality, while in Dark Souls it was mostly: Go through the white smoke and... oh here's a giant boss. Go!

It's more thrilling to see how intimidating some of the bosses are in the intros and then actually trying to fight them. Makes the fights better imo.

JoeFenix

Off the top of my head:

Demon's
-Tower Knight
-Penetrator
-False King
-Flamelurker
-Dragon God
-Fool's Idol
-Old Monk
-Old Hero
-Stormking
-Leechmonger
-Maiden Astrea

Dark:
-Bell Gargoyles
-Quelaag
-Gaping Dragon
-Sif
-Ornstein and Smough
-Pinwheel
-Gwyndolin
-Centipede Demon
-Gravelord Nito
-Seath the Scaleless
-Knight Artorias
-Manus

About the sameish

Phalanx kind of had an intro, I actually really liked what they did with the foreshadowing there.

Even the bosses that didn't have intros usually had cool entrances or animations when you entered the room. They would jump at you or unsheath their weapon and even the dragons in both games had little intro scenes as well.

Guys. Seriously. This game has intros. There were several during the stream. JoeFenix is just wrong. Can we move on to something else?

It's cool that DS2 has atleast some boss intros, I'm glad to have been wrong there but I don't see how it's a bad thing to discuss what we liked about the intros in previous games in the series.

awww shit will it change?

Thought you said you haven't checked out yet, not sure what you mean :S

Phalanx kind of had an intro, I actually really liked what they did with the foreshadowing there.

Even the bosses that didn't have intros usually had cool entrances or animations when you entered the room. They would jump at you or unsheath their weapon and even the dragons in both games had little intro scenes as well.

I was gonna add Phalanx and the dragons but decided against it for some reason.

There are even some mid animations like Bed of Chaos and death animations like the Four Kings.

Regardless, I really love the intros in some cases, but for secret/surprise bosses it would prolly be better without them.

JoeFenix

There are even some mid animations like Bed of Chaos and death animations like the Four Kings.

Regardless, I really love the intros in some cases, but for secret/surprise bosses it would prolly be better without them.

Agreed 100%, I think some fights absolutely benefit from not having an intro. I guess that's some of what was bothering me about the little I've seen in DS2, the bosses were just kind of there when you entered without any sense of surprise.

Thankfully it seems like it's not going to be the case with every boss in the game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think you overestimate things, The guy im watching is barely a master and there is ALOT going on which I wont even remember by the time I get the game, It's basically him just going anywhere and dying a lot. So he is far from ruining things for me personally.

That's how it is for me. Even after watching the (good quality) stream for a couple of hours today I can't recall too many specifics and regardless of that, my style-of-play is a lot different than his.

Overall I was satisfied with what I saw. I must admit that while some of the environments seemed to lack the flair of its predecessors I was generally impressed by the enemy design and the way everything is stitched together.

Voice acting and script seemed consistent with the rest of the series, which is good news as I've always felt its an underrated yet key component in the overall "feel" of the Souls series.

Graphics seemed fine to me; certainly on-par with series/generational standards. Claims of Dreamcast-level texturing and of it looking like "hot garbage" are just silly hyperbole... Its not the bestest looking gane in the world, but objectively its not a title with a GTA or Final Fantasy mega-bucks budget behind it.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
So many of the bosses are just phoned in lol.

Yeah so far the bosses are pretty damn disappointing.

It also looks like many bosses need the same strategy. Roll away when he attacks, then hit him > repeat.

The hitbox stream was the best quality, And showcased the visuals better than the ones that it got switched too. But it's mainly for those who want a feel for the game, A teaser so to speak :D

That's how it is for me. Even after watching the (good quality) stream for a couple of hours today I can't recall too many specifics and regardless of that, my style-of-play is a lot different than his.

Overall I was satisfied with what I saw. I must admit that while some of the environments seemed to lack the flair of its predecessors I was generally impressed by the enemy design and the way everything is stitched together.

Voice acting and script seemed consistent with the rest of the series, which is good news as I've always felt its an underrated yet key component in the overall "feel" of the Souls series.

Graphics seemed fine to me; certainly on-par with series/generational standards. Claims of Dreamcast-level texturing and of it looking like "hot garbage" are just silly hyperbole... Its not the bestest looking gane in the world, but objectively its not a title with a GTA or Final Fantasy mega-bucks budget behind it.

Yeah I guess beforehand our judgements are based off either Demons souls/Dark Souls so things will always be compared, But I really like the direction they have gone with this.
Backstabbers are in for a shock
...Some enviroments are more astounding then others.

Yeah the voice acting is pretty much the same.
Albeit there are new ones

All in all I love how difficult it is, Groups of enemies give no fucks

Who are you to decide? If you don't want to see spoilers, that's not my problem. Why the fuck should the entire world have to beckon to you to censor everything? We aren't harming you, and spoilers aren't coming from streams either.

And that's the streams problems because...? Jesus you people are so anti-spoiler you'll censor everything in the world to bend to your will. It's as though one fucking spoiler and your entire life is ruined.

Well, I can agree with people who are annoyed with the streams. It would be ok if you kept the discussion in the spoiler thread, which is meant for such things, but we should strive for this thread to be relatively spoiler free.

For example, I now know one aspect of the boss he was apparently stuck on for an hour or so before, which I would rather have found out for myself as a nasty surprise.

Stream discussion should go here.

Sn4ke_911

Isn't that basically 80% of the strategy in the souls game anyways?

For the most part yea, only thing that changes is the playing field and possible special abilities. For the most part, that is pretty much like all Souls games

Oh ok, never played any of the Souls games. (Yeah shoot me)

Still stepping up their game with a few new strategies wouldn't have hurt.

From what I've read seems like they made mechanics a lot easier (traveling/leveling up weapons/humanity) but made the actual game harder? Seems like the balance they were going after. Make it more straight forward but more challenging.

From what I've read seems like they made mechanics a lot easier (traveling/leveling up weapons/humanity) but made the actual game harder? Seems like the balance they were going after. Make it more straight forward but more challenging.

Can you explain how the weapon upgrade system is easier? In spoiler tags of course...

Oh ok, never played any of the Souls games. (Yeah shoot me)

Still stepping up their game with a few new strategies wouldn't have hurt.

like what? mid battle qtes? it being what it is makes it. the fun is in learning when to roll and attack. watching someone something that can kill you and plotting your next move is what makes it.

Mana Sin

Oops glanced over that part of your question. Never encountered that one before. Did you preorder the BA Edition? Because If you really want the BA edition, just preorder from Best buy. They still have it. Just return the one from Amazon (to BB or amz) once you received it.

I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition a couple of days ago.

Lazyslob

Banned
Yeah so far the bosses are pretty damn disappointing.

It also looks like many bosses need the same strategy. Roll away when he attacks, then hit him > repeat.

That's how pretty much all fights in souls games go. I don't know if you are looking for quick time events. If you were to watch me play souls games you'd probably think they are garbage because I'd cheese a lot of bosses and tougher enemies with just arrows and it works wonderfully.

Seance

Banned
According to this video.

You no longer need a "large ember" to go from +5 to +6 or "very large ember" for +10 to +11. It just goes from 1-15 straight way according to him.

except
Shards go to +3
Large shards go to +6
Chunks go to +9
Slab for +10 (max)

Obviously that is the standard upgrade path.

Enemy AI hasn't changed too much either. Not talking about bosses since I have not seen any.

There are still distance where they will only come after you if you step in their short range even if you are staring directly at them. Its easy to outpace them and they don;'t seem to be any more aggressive.

Though I have only seen one area and it was pretty small.

Sn4ke_911

like what? mid battle qtes? it being what it is makes it. the fun is in learning when to roll and attack. watching someone something that can kill you and plotting your next move is what makes it.

Hell no, i mean like other game developers try to make their bosses you know.... more interesting. I don't know, fight in a room full of toxin where your life slowly drains away ...from time to time you have to drink from some fountain in the middle otherwise you die ...or something like that i don't know that was a shitty example but you get what i mean... be more creative and not just roll and attack. but yeah as you said it is what it is.

Enemy AI hasn't changed too much either. Not talking about bosses since I have not seen any.

There are still distance where they will only come after you if you step in their short range even if you are staring directly at them. Its easy to outpace them and they don;'t seem to be any more aggressive.

Though I have only seen one area and it was pretty small.

Earlier he was getting bitchslapped by enemies to the point he just stopped going that area.
He backstabbed an enemy just for one of the others to kill him during it

Hell no, i mean like other game developers try to make their bosses you know.... more interesting. I don't know, fight in a room full of toxin where your life slowly drains away ...from time to time you have to drink from some fountain in the middle otherwise you die ...or something like that i don't know that was a shitty example but you get what i mean... be more creative and not just roll and attack. but yeah as you said it is what it is.

That toxin idea u speak of exists in this game

I hope a lot of enemies are like the silver/black knights. They will continue to chase you even after you have lost sight of them. I really find it silly when enemies look at you and instead of chasing just return to their "posts'.

Sn4ke_911

That toxin idea u speak of exists in this game

WTF? really?? haha oh wow, then i will take everything back i just said.

This creeps me out, i had absolutely no idea something like that is in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom