• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope a lot of enemies are like the silver/black knights. They will continue to chase you even after you have lost sight of them. I really find it silly when enemies look at you and instead of chasing just return to their "posts'.

Makes sense for a lower-level hollow who was probably a guard in life and continues to guard after death, but I agree, more intelligent foes should display that intelligence by hunting you. Would be amazing if DSII had any Nemesis-style enemies that stalk you throughout the entire world.

Soriku

Oh ok, never played any of the Souls games. (Yeah shoot me)

Still stepping up their game with a few new strategies wouldn't have hurt.

Umm I suggest playing the game(s) first before commenting. You might be in for a shock :p Beating them isn't always simple.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Umm I suggest playing the game(s) first before commenting. You might be in for a shock :p Beating them isn't always simple.

Well i've seen a few speedruns on twitch, but that's about it. Never said it's simple but from what i've seen it's always the same strategy.

Soriku

Well i've seen a few speedruns on twitch, but that's about it. Never said it's simple but from what i've seen it's always the same strategy.

The bosses (and well, every enemy) mainly require you to be careful and know when to dodge, block, or hit. You're supposed to take a different approach to each enemy, even if the tools at your disposal don't necessarily change besides getting stronger.

Souls bosses still do not hold a candle to Monster Hunter bosses. O/S are small-time compared to some of the mid-level bosses in the MH games. Try fighting a super hard enemy and then suddenly it starts crying for help and suddenly a giant ass T-rex thing arrives and wrecks your shit. Oh, and there are no HP bars on monsters!

A good MH player would steam roll through Dark Souls.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Souls bosses still do not hold a candle to Monster Hunter bosses. O/S are small-time compared to some of the mid-level bosses in the MH games. Try fighting a super hard enemy and then suddenly it starts crying for help and suddenly a giant ass T-rex thing arrives and wrecks your shit. Oh, and there are no HP bars on monsters!

I do not remember a single MH boss.

Valnen

Well combat in souls games feels better to me so I don't really care.

Lazyslob

Banned
I think the game looks great. The animations don't seem bad to me like a lot of people seem to think. I think the tone and atmosphere stand out as the biggest changes to the game. Did the first Dark Souls receive a bunch of shit tossed it's way before it was released from fans of Demons Souls or in just in general like this game is?

i both dread and love that happening. i wish more games employed a mechanic like that.
i feel like the gesturing before each attack is a bit clearer in monster hunter though. a good deal of my monster hunter fanatic friends haven't beat dark souls themselves.
monster hunters like a slow romantic kiss
souls is more like a frantic wet makeout sesh.

if the series' mechanics ever came together more so in another title id be in heaven

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Same old reasons, not worth discussing again.

n5nd5kuqk.gif

I never really liked MH, too hard and too clunky. I'm too casual.

No, MH is quite a bit harder. Almost every monster is super fast and super aggressive.

i wish leveling was non existent and everything relied on your equip set like monster hunter. but that would kill of the possibilities for someone too casual i guess to beat it. with estus nerfed and life gems as the main healing i don't think most of my friends will beat darks souls 2 most of them tank and heal there way to somehow victories always. i saw one of my friends beat smough and ornstein with no visible health, those saving blow estus heals.

EDIT:can i get that stream link palease? i need a taste

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I never really liked MH, too hard and too clunky. I'm too casual.

No, MH is quite a bit harder. Almost every monster is super fast and super aggressive.
Still disagree, although I've spent more time in Souls PvP than PvE, MH monsters are fairly easy and formulaic in comparison if you know your weapon well enough. I get hit a lot more against Souls bosses than MH ones.

LProtag

My guilty confession is that I never beat Dark Souls.

Hopefully I manage it with Dark Souls II, then I'll go back and beat Dark Souls.

cerulily

I don't even see why you would compare Dark Souls 2 to Monster Hunter, they're almost completely different.

Dark Souls requires environment exploration and navigation which involves traps, ambushes, and pitfalls. Trash monsters can kill you in a couple of hits. The weapon system is not even remotely the same.

Monster hunter has none of that. No one dies from fighting 3 Bullfango. The monsters are literally the only part to the game and the entire game is literally grinding against high end monsters for that occasional dark dragon gem or Pallium. It is a social grinding game for japanese transit...

Sarcasm

Still disagree, although I've spent more time in Souls PvP than PvE, MH monsters are fairly easy and formulaic in comparison if you know your weapon well enough. I get hit a lot more against Souls bosses than MH ones.

PvP is a bit different than PvE in terms with both games.

in the souls patience screws you over, once mastered than its not really that hard.

I play the game for the lore & art honestly, souls series was never really that hard.

PvP on the other hand...I didn't bother with cause for some reason the region I am in either online never worked or it was just hackers who drained your humanity with magic + lowered stats with an xbow and hit me so hard I'd be teleported.

ironcreed

Banned
My guilty confession is that I've purchased Dark Souls three times (360, pc, ps3) and I've beaten it on all three platforms.

I just bought it again for the 360 after originally playing it on PS3. Feels good starting fresh while I wait for Dark Souls II.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I don't even see why you would compare Dark Souls 2 to Monster Hunter, they're almost completely different.

Dark Souls requires environment exploration and navigation which involves traps, ambushes, and pitfalls. Trash monsters can kill you in a couple of hits. The weapon system is not even remotely the same.

Monster hunter has none of that. No one dies from fighting 3 Bullfango. The monsters are literally the only part to the game and the entire game is literally grinding against high end monsters for that occasional dark dragon gem or Pallium. It is a social grinding game for japanese transit...
You're talking about overall game structure, which isn't relevant to the comparison he made at all. The bosses in both games are fairly skill based and both have a fine tuned combat system based on very deliberate commitment to swings, harsh punishment for mistakes, and rewarding you for "learning" a bosses movesets well.

It's to make a contrast between other action games where you can just mash out combos and dodge cancel around out of any attack.

Seance

Banned
This dude needs a shield for real. Dual swordsman is not a combat style for kids this level of trash. Also never have i seen him land a parry lawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom