• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious_George

Neo Member
I think I've watched enough streams now to not quite ruin the fresh experience for myself but to still figure out if I should be excited for it. And I think I can safely say I'm still hyped. Hopefully it'll look a little better on the PC when I play it but otherwise I've got no real complaints from what I've seen.

Now if I can just pull myself away from all the spoilers for a while :(

ShogunX

Lots of screen tearing on the 360 version (not normally something that overly bothers me but it's quite bad from what I have seen so far). Impressed with the voice acting as well so far, seems to be step up from the first game.

Soriku

Lots of people wanna watch the stream lol. I saw a bit of the beginning in the Gamespot stream and a little bit of another stream but that's good enough for me.

Lots of screen tearing on the 360 version (not normally something that overly bothers me but it's quite bad from what I have seen so far). Impressed with the voice acting as well so far, seems to be step up from the first game.

yeah but the texture quality overall is a step above what id come to expect. haven't watched enough to declare it tolerable or not.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ended my first session. Man... feels great to be back. I've made some decent progress, but there's a boss that's kicking my ass something fierce. Quit for the knight after my 7th attempt or so. The health penalty upon death definitely adds to the challenge.

And it's true, dual wielding doesn't give a big damage boost anymore, it's a small boost.

Really? Playing on ps3 and I'm not seeing any tearing at all.

I really like the improvements to the UI. It feels like a well designed coherent system. As a UI Programmer/designer I really like where they went with it.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
testing...

Quote to reveal stream link

Edit: Ok, should work.

Timu

I hate screen tearing.:/

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
There was one particular area where any movement of the camera at all, like even a slight twitch to the left or right cut up the top portion of the screen like crazy. Good to hear the PS3 version might be performing better.

S0N0S

Man they just took dynamic lighting out of the game. WTF?

Posting my response from other thread here as well:

Earlier shots are from the IGN gameplay premiere which is well known to be the PC version. Release shots are PS3 or 360. Not exactly the 1:1 comparison it seems to be.

Not to mention the fuck load of artifacting. I'm sure we'll see better comparisons later, for better or worse.

ShogunX

Watching the game being played in front of me now and you cant even do a full 360 rotation of the camera without it tearing multiple times. I'd honestly say it's some of the worst I have seen since Darksiders on the 360.

You can make it tear at will, hopefully there is a day one patch or something just after release.

Posting my response from other thread here as well:

Not to mention the fuck load of artifacting. I'm sure we'll see better comparisons later, for better or worse.

I really don't believe that the PC version will be any better. I'm expecting downgrades all around.

That really sucks, because the lighting looked so good.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Question - can you do a full install of the PS3 version? I might end up going with the PSN version regardless, but I like to run my games off the hard drive if possible.

There's a mandatory install on ps3 of 2 gig.

I'm going to pay attention to tearing in my session tomorrow, but so far there's nothing.

why would it not be any better? they already said texture resolutions would be higher

They can say whatever they want, but I won't believe it until I see it.

The PC version isn't coming until a month after the console version, so I'm not so sure the PC is lead platform thing will end up making a difference.

I hope for the best, but I'm not expecting much.

Str1ke4

Was going to get Titanfall for Xbox one on the 11th and try to hold on for PC release of DS but i just realized Titanfall comes out on the 13th in Aus. So i will get the x360 version of DS on the 11th and PC version of Titanfall. DS2 hype level increasing but also making it harder to not watch any streams!

Edit: Ah shit. I just checked and realized DS2 comes out on the 13th as well :(

They can say whatever they want, but I won't believe it until I see it.

The PC version isn't coming until a month after the console version, so I'm not so sure the PC is lead platform thing will end up making a difference.

I hope for the best, but I'm not expecting much.

i just think last time around they didn't build a game with scalability in mind and had trouble implementing something that wasnt an original intention after having everything set.

building the game with this in mind i do have faith. after seeing the stream and how clean most of these artifact ridden assets looks i think the pc version is gonna be nice.

Piano

Banned
As far as I can tell there's no sort of collector's edition for the PC in the US, right? I was hoping for one of those cloth maps or something...

Also can't decide whether or not to go for a guide.

S0N0S

I really don't believe that the PC version will be any better. I'm expecting downgrades all around.

That really sucks, because the lighting looked so good.

The new PC screen shots on steam are noticeably better than the console versions. And I don't see why it would be difficult to keep the stronger, higher quality DOF effect, higher particle counts, and dynamic lighting if PC is also getting higher resolutions and framerate. After all, a proper PC version would have these features and they've said they've developed their new engine with next-gen in mind. If that's to be believed, why would they remove those "next-gen" features.

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but their first PC game inspired absolutely no confidence, so you might be right. There's no current PC footage out there though, and I'm not sure if that's because it look doesn't look good enough or looks too good (compared to console versions), which could confuse or upset those buying on PS3/360.

Con_Smith

Banned
Guys game is legit. Some hiccups early on with frame rate (360) but it plays pretty smooth. Can't wait till they turn multi on though.

Badgerst3

Anyone know if epicnamebro will be doing YouTube walkthroughs?

I know he was hired to some sort of strategy guide, but hoping he also does YouTube vids.

They carried me through parts of the last game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom