• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Bro that only plays FPS games: Yo I'm picking up Dark Souls 2 so we can co-op, looks pretty cool from the stuff I've seen.

tumblr_mtif89dlFr1rtpvcro1_500.gif

Garcia

Just 5 more days to go. :)

This is one of those game where a single feature can fix the vast majority of the experience for me. I'm speaking of warping from the get go. It will work wonderfully both for the flow of the game and posterior runs.

isual

damn.

no more internet next week so i wont be able to use guides/gaf for ds2

anyone know of a good internet in sf ?

webpass, sonic dont reach my place

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
damn.

no more internet next week so i wont be able to use guides/gaf for ds2

anyone know of a good internet in sf ?

webpass, sonic dont reach my place

Go to BK and use the free wifi on your phone or laptop.
KuGsj.gif

JayEH

Is anybody else in the situation where you have prime on Amazon but it says the game will be delivered on the 13th? I've never had this problem before, usually when I choose two day shipping it comes on release day.

isual

Is anybody else in the situation where you have prime on Amazon but it says the game will be delivered on the 13th? I've never had this problem before, usually when I choose two day shipping it comes on release day.

same situation. I have prime as well and will be getting it on the 13th. Not release day.

Astral

Mine still says it hasn't shipped yet. :-(

Mana Sin

I've spoken to three dudes on Amazon. Two didn't know why I didn't have an estimate in the first place. The third apologized for my lack of an estimate and said that I should get the game on the 11th, but there is still no email or change on the order's page.

I'm still not confident about when I'll get the game, but I'm sort of sick of talking to Customer Support.

Wait, does the regular edition not come out on the 11th? I'm confused

It should, same as the regular game. People are just having issues with shipping arriving after the 11th (when the game ships/release day) as it should ship and arrive on the day as promised when people preordered (seems to be issues with Amazon).

JayEH

I've spoken to three dudes on Amazon. Two didn't know why I didn't have an estimate in the first place. The third apologized for my lack of an estimate and said that I should get the game on the 11th, but there is still no email or change on the order's page.

I'm still not confident about when I'll get the game, but I'm sort of sick of talking to Customer Support.

Something weird is going on with this game. I didn't receive an estimate then I just received one but it says I'm not getting it until the 13th now.

Talking to Amazon rep now but don't think I'm getting anywhere.

aFIGurANT

Pay the extra $4.10 and get it at your local Best Buy whenever you can get to it on the 11th. That's what this thread convinced me to do. The fact that I'm not going through Amazon makes me kind of nervous but that's only because I've never done the online BB in-store pickup. Otherwise it's well worth the dough, I'm going to hope.

JayEH

I'm now being told that they have a new policy and I need to change the shipping speed to get it on release.

Edit: When pre-ordering other games I don't have this issue. Screw it, I'll get it from Best Buy. Amazon needs to get their stuff together.

Double Edit: Apparently Amazon did some black magic when I got off chat and now the game will show up on the 11th.

Sanctuary

Feel sorry for who exactly? I cant wait to get it and iv'e been watching the stream for ages. Gameplay>>>>Graphics

Because when you finally get to play the game, much of the surprise/discovery factor is ruined and you only get to experience it for the first time once. Living vicariously through someone else isn't the same as firsthand experience.

And I wasn't talking about the graphics in such a way as to say they are going to bother me, only that it really has nothing to do with an oppressive atmosphere.

I've pre-ordered from Future Shop (Best Buy in Canada) and am waiting for confirmation. Should be getting it on the 11th so here's hoping :/

Artorias

Banned
I've done the unthinkable. On Amazon I mistakenly went through "change payment method" rather than "order details" to add a gift card, and it changed my delivery estimate to the 13th. Even switching to one day shipping shows an estimate of the 12th.

Am I already dead? Should I wait until tomorrow and contact them to see if it can be fixed (since its too late to speak to an actual Amazon rep in NA). I was really hoping it would ship with my guide to ensure a box. Ugggghhh. Why did I touch things.

Sanctuary

I can't speak for the rest of the game.. but the first areas are WAY easier than the first 2 games.

I started with a deprived. I can only see it becoming more forgiving with standard classes.

You know though, there were many people who claimed that Dark Souls was much harder than Demon's, yet the majority were those who played Dark first. Conversely, many (if not most) of the Demon's players said that Dark was much easier than Demon's, at least for their respective first playthroughs.

Even with the mechanics changes, if you have experience with either of the previous two games, it should feel somewhat easier, because they aren't going to make it harder with the assumption that the only people playing are fans of the series, especially when they are trying to attract new fans.

Jobbs

Banned
I've done the unthinkable. On Amazon I mistakenly went through "change payment method" rather than "order details" to add a gift card, and it changed my delivery estimate to the 13th. Even switching to one day shipping shows an estimate of the 12th.

Am I already dead? Should I wait until tomorrow and contact them to see if it can be fixed (since its too late to speak to an actual Amazon rep in NA). I was really hoping it would ship with my guide to ensure a box. Ugggghhh. Why did I touch things.

Try changing it back to 2 day again. For me that for some reason bumped it to the 11th.

Artorias

Banned
Try changing it back to 2 day again. For me that for some reason bumped it to the 11th.

I tried that with no luck. I'm almost sure it will still arrive on the 11th but I hate that it ever does this. I'd just go pick it up at retail but it's a quick pick! I neeeed that $3. For things.

Oh, dear this new streamer guy is obviously getting frustrated. Running
through everything and taking arrows to the face.
Doesn't help
that this elevator bullshit takes forever to go back down.

Wow, you must have been real unlucky then, I have logged some 530 hours on steam, mostly helping new players and came across 3 hackers, 1 of whom infected me with egg head, and it was actually a positive as I never had eggs before when finding Einygy.....he changes his dialogue. Another, hacker we pushed off a cliff = way more souls and more satisfaction. I actually embrace getting invaded on PC its a lack of invasions that is worrysome more than hackers. Just use game save manager = end of paranoia.

Yeah, listening to others' experiences I feel I was just colossally unlucky, or I just stumbled into a temporary griefer frenzy in the waning days of the game's PVP scene. Like you I took advantage of my egghead to talk to Eingy, though I'm not going to try to spin it as a positive. I'm not sure what motivates people like that to play, honestly.

Vazra

Oh, dear this new streamer guy is obviously getting frustrated. Running
through everything and taking arrows to the face.
Doesn't help
that this elevator bullshit takes forever to go back down.

He has been playing around 20-22 hours straight. Maybe more.

Sarcasm

Wow, you must have been real unlucky then, I have logged some 530 hours on steam, mostly helping new players and came across 3 hackers, 1 of whom infected me with egg head, and it was actually a positive as I never had eggs before when finding Einygy.....he changes his dialogue. Another, hacker we pushed off a cliff = way more souls and more satisfaction. I actually embrace getting invaded on PC its a lack of invasions that is worrysome more than hackers. Just use game save manager = end of paranoia.

May be regional too..in my region when online worked it was just hackers. I had a few legits though.

vgBR.com

Banned
Quick impressions ... no spoilers here. Proceed with no worries.

Played almost 2 hours and quit in frustration. The game is even more difficult.

Technically the graphics are beautiful. Sometimes the frame rate seem to go up to something close to 60 FPS. Especially in the corners of the screen where are no enemies. Unfortunately screen tearing is eating the game away because of this non locked frame rate.

Regarding gameplay, these new movements mechanic with more flow and life like moves, made it worse to control your character. Not that the controls are bad, but it gives the impression that the character is slower because of that and you do not have total control as you had in the first.

On combat as a general rule, all thats yours lasts less and everything from the enemy lasts longer. Examples:
Stamina and duration of weapons last less. With an hour of play my sword already broke and I did not have a replacement, nor a blacksmith to fix it.
Life of enemies last longer and insist on getting a little bit left all the time you think you finished it.
Damage from the enemies increased in absurd ways. It is usual to die for common enemies from the beginning of the game.

Estus flask is useless to the point it takes two centuries to finish drinking it. By the time your bar is full again Dark Souls 5 is being released.

Lifegems healing is shitty as well because it gets your life back so slowly that you have to get rolling desperately to stand any chance.

Backstab is very difficult to get and even when enemies are facing away from you they quickly turn when you get close .

Scenario is gigantic and wide ... The "game hub" Majula appears soon after the start and now to level up is no longer at the bonfire, but a woman who is close to the bonfire of Majula. Demon's Soul legacy?

The initial impression is that the challenge may have turned into frustration. I think they got the prepare to die a lot motto which was a consequence of the first game and took it as the goal here. Honestly, after dying the fifth time in the same place and for a bunch of common enemies I've lost the will to keep going at that time and my hype went a little down.

I'll keep playing obviously and I do not want to get ahead of myself, but I finished this first session with the sad impression that they may have made the game a little bit "cheap ".
I do hope I'm wrong.

MrDaravon

Haven't been following the game at all (I'm not super crazy about avoid anything about the game or anything, just been busy) but I'm disappointed to hear that there are apparently bad framerate/tearing issues on 360 :/. Too late to change my pre-order, and I'd gone 360 since that's what my entire crew is getting the game for, not that we can specifically group or anything but still. Hope it's maybe patchable.

Kyuur

I have been avoiding spoilers, but does anyone know how quickly you get White Soapstone in DSII? I am debating starting playing before my pals, but only if it's like DSI where you don't get it until after a bit of playing.

I preordered the PS3 Black Knight edition on Amazon months ago, but am getting the digital version as well. When the PS4 version comes out (and I hope there will be one), I'll triple dip. My wallet is ready.

I wanna build a DEX character, so I'm conflicted between Swordsman and Bandit. Might go with Bandit since I wanna try out some Faith spells.

Vazra

Oh... well no wonder he's frustrated. Shit, I would have said "fuck it" and turned on some Wooser for a breather.

He should go to bed. In the other tab, all I can hear is "YOU DIED" every 30 seconds.

He said he was going for the 24 hours so there still some time to go I think.

Con_Smith

Banned
Haven't been following the game at all (I'm not super crazy about avoid anything about the game or anything, just been busy) but I'm disappointed to hear that there are apparently bad framerate/tearing issues on 360 :/. Too late to change my pre-order, and I'd gone 360 since that's what my entire crew is getting the game for, not that we can specifically group or anything but still. Hope it's maybe patchable.

Honestly they aren't that bad unless your a real stickler for that thing. Outside of cut scenes it was rare enough I barely noticed it. Hopefully it does get a patch though as I know for some it becomes a real deal breaker.

Vazra

I have a question about the first boss, I'd rather not risk reading open spoilers about the final boss or other major things

Alright. There is not a lot of people here with the game so it might take time for the ones with the game to answer.

Jobbs

Banned
the cloth movement in the game is gorgeous. such a massive improvement in the game's visuals come just from that. it sort of brings a new dimension to everything for me. I love the motion.

makes me want to design my character around a character who doesn't wear heavy armor, since ostensibly metal armor is less wavey. :)

Soriku

On combat as a general rule, all thats yours lasts less and everything from the enemy lasts longer. Examples:
Stamina and duration of weapons last less. With an hour of play my sword already broke and I did not have a replacement, nor a blacksmith to fix it.
Life of enemies last longer and insist on getting a little bit left all the time you think you finished it.
Damage from the enemies increased in absurd ways. It is usual to die for common enemies from the beginning of the game.

You can fix your weapons/armor now just by resting at the bonfire FYI.

Also in DkS1 there would be some enemies where you attack them like twice, and then they have a sliver left which was kinda annoying but it doesn't seem very different in DkS2 then. I ended up dying a bunch pretty early on too...

Most of the stuff you listed seemed common in DkS1. I'm interested to see if what you said about the stamina is correct. Going by the beta, stamina consumption didn't seem far off from DkS1, but it also took a bit longer to recover stamina too.

Artorias

Banned
My order on Amazon originally said the 13th, but I re-entered my payment info and now it says the 11th. Try that to see if it'll work?

This worked for me last week but nothing now. I even tried adding a new card I've never used on Amazon. It's no biggie I'll get it figured out, I just wish I hadn't touched it. I didn't even have a reason to, haha.

I'll bug them tomorrow if it hasn't updated. Too many bad experiences with after hours customer support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom