• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Well
If i've difficulty with a boss I can simply respec to be more deadly against him and then respec back to my previous character and continue the journey.

Is not a game breaker but in my opinion it weak the risk of the PVE in Dark Souls 2
That isn't a particularly viable option,
the items are consumable and very rare, current streamer is at SL 84 and has only found 2. In addition he hasn't even found the npc that allows you to use them. Even if you really do need them to respec for a single boss and respec back, it's unlikely you'll be able to do it more than once or twice per game without knowing exactly how, not to mention not having upgraded gear for whatever class you respec to in the first place.

Well
If i've difficulty with a boss I can simply respec to be more deadly against him and then respec back to my previous character and continue the journey.

Is not a game breaker but in my opinion it weak the risk of the PVE in Dark Souls 2

Really depends on if the respec is free or not. If you have to earn back all those souls I can imagine it being pretty balanced

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Well

That definitely won't be practical.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Damn, I was leaning Explorer since it seemed to fit the "wanderer" role-playing aspect, but the new Wanderer is clearly the Swordsman. So, Swordsman it is for my first playthrough. xD

Essay

knight.gif

Oh nice, looks like the class I want to use already starts with my favourite sword from DkS. I hope the motion captured moveset isn't too different. Its old step-forward R2 was so satisfying.

Hopefully I don't have to spread myself too thin to get the most out of its scaling this time around too. Seems like a lot of stats will call for investment this time around. (Wonder what the chances of there being an upgrade path like Crushing from DeS that will let it scale just with Strength.)

Deuterium

Dexterity is a "speed" stat because weapons that scale damage with dexterity level are generally faster weaker weapons, as opposed to slower stronger weapons that scale with strength.

The dexterity stat itself never affected the speed of movements/attacks etc. Only the speed of spell casting. ie a character with 10 dexterity moves/attacks 100% the same speed as one with 99 dexterity.

For DkS2 dexterity performs the same function as before but adaptability increases speed of startup on certain actions, as well as increases your resistances. A character with 99 adaptability will perform certain actions much faster than one with 10 adaptability.

Hi Perorist,

I am not saying you are wrong...but I am still a bit confused, due to the definitions/descriptions on the chart below. Assuming the chart is accurate, it appears Dark Souls 2 has broken apart the original DS1 "Dexterity" stat into two separate stat categories -- Adaptability and Dexterity.

The chart indicates that the "Adaptability" stat is involved with a character's physical speed and agility (e.g. evasive dodge/rolls): "Increases movement, evasion, and various action speeds".

Whereas, the Dexterity stat now specifically governs the following: "Boosts weapon attack damage, Poison effects and Bleed effects".

If this is indeed the case...than it implies that the Bandit class would not be an ideal starting class for someone who is looking for speed/agility/mobility.

Fhu5cez.png

Saganator

Ugh, so conflicted whether or not to get this on PS3 now, or PC later. I really want to be apart of the action with everyone else day 1. Ever since I got my PS4, my room mate's 8 year old has had free reign on the PS3 and he's fallen in love with Minecraft. I'd hate to pull the PS3 and his beloved Minecraft away from his little hands so I can get my Souls fix, but I think I'm gonna have to do it. He has the PC version on his mom's laptop, think its finally time for the boy to learn the ole keyboard and mouse.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Right, it's as I said though. DS1 Dexterity didn't get broken up, it has never affected speed of any type except spell casting. Being able to increase movement/attack speed is a completely new mechanic to DS2

DS1 -
Dexterity: affects dex weapon damage, speed up for spell casting only
No stat that affects physical movement speed of any kind

DS2 -
Dexterity: affects dex weapon damage, increases bleed/poison effect from weapons
Adaptability (new): speed up for certain actions (rolling, raising shield, movement etc.), increase resistances

Curious_George

Neo Member
If this is indeed the case...than it implies that the Bandit class would not be an ideal starting class for someone who is looking for speed/agility/mobility.

If you're not planning to mix any magic in then I think Bandit is still a good choice. They have great starting dex and since their other important melee stats other than adaptability are also high you'd be free to start pumping it up from the beginning. For a non-magic dex build I like the Bandit stats myself, while Swordsman might be a little better if someone who wants to go hybrid.

Seance

Banned
So he finally beats the boss after a million attempts of having no clue what the strategy he needs. Ugh. So frustrating watching this shit and yet i cant tear myself away :/

lol

Sanctuary

Yeah, there are really nods to Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and King's Field in this one. All intertwined with plenty of new as well. Good stuff all around.

Isn't that kind of redundant though? Demon's had plenty of nods to King's Field. The trailer, and then the Gamespot review just had me going the entire time "God, this reminds me of King's Field so much!".

The one area that I have seen for a couple of mins reminded me a lot of demons souls. that dark, despairing atmosphere and yet strangely calm. A bit like Shrine of storms (doesn't look anything like it) in atmosphere.

I wanted to watch that stream for ~10 seconds just to see some of the animations and attacks, but every time I take a look (out of the corner of my eye just to be safe), he's at a damn boss! That makes it the third time so far. The gods are steering me away.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I hope someone is telling him to take a break at least.
Over 24hrs right? Blood clod in his legs is a real possibility if he has been sitting there over 10hrs playing this game.

Multiple times people have told him to take at least a nap. He must be 28 hours or so by now. Im not keeping up with the time but he is over the 24 hours already. He should rest call it a night despite having fun with the game.

Soriku

I read in the spoiler thread that you get the souls you spent to level back if you take it back to where "the journey began," so I figure you only get a free respec if you progress to ng+. Otherwise, you don't get your souls back and have to pay souls like normal to level. Haven't seen if it's a one time use or unlimited use item yet, but I figure its a one time per play through thing.

If you only get a free respec in NG+ that seems fair to me. By NG+ you've already beaten the game, so I see no issue in allowing you to change your character easy. Plus if they're rare, it's not like you'll be changing all the time.

Mana Sin

Kenneth is going to sleep right when I go to his channel. It seems that the universe is helping me avoid spoilers. I'm impressed he was online for so long.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Any word on how far that Kenneth guy got during his stream?
Got fairly far, roughly
15-16
bosses in, with several that he left because he couldn't defeat them. Game seems to be much bigger as far as content goes compared to DkS.

slash3584

For Europeans who have bought in the US PSN store:

If you are like me and won't be able to download it when the game releases (12:01am PST / 9:01am GMT+1), configure the automatic download feature (I think it's only for PS+) to 1-2 hours after the release and when the game gets activated just go to the SEN store, search the game and then click on "Download to your PS3" and it should be added to a queue and automatically download when the PS3 turns on the time frame you selected.

Any word on US preloading?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Been taking screenshots now and then during equipment shop/upgrade moments in the streams. It seems like compared to the first game the minimum requirements for gear have generally gone up.

Steez

Got fairly far, roughly
15-16
bosses in, with several that he left because he couldn't defeat them. Game seems to be much bigger as far as content goes compared to DkS.

Sounds great. Thanks!

For Europeans who have bought in the US PSN store:

If you are like me and won't be able to download it when the game releases (12:01am PST / 9:01am GMT+1), configure the automatic download feature (I think it's only for PS+) to 1-2 hours after the release and when the game gets activated just go to the SEN store, search the game and then click on "Download to your PS3" and it should be added to a queue and automatically download when the PS3 turns on the time frame you selected.

Any word on US preloading?

Isn't 12:01am PST = 7:01am GMT / 8:01am GMT+1?

http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/

Raitaro

If it's like Dark Souls, every starting class will appear as a corpse at some point close to a dangerous foe or obstacle and you'll find their armor there.

• Warrior: In the Gaping Dragon's boss room.
  • Bandit: In the giant rat's chamber; the bandit also managed to lodge a Battle Axe in the rat's eye.
  • Knight: Submerged in the hydra lake.
  • Thief: Stowed in one of the hollow thieves' homes.
  • Sorcerer: Stuck in a barrel next to Griggs of Vinheim; it's implied to be treachery.
  • Hunter: On a ledge in Darkroot Basin. Presumably had a nasty fall.
  • Cleric: On a ledge above the wheel skeleton room. Either the cleric had a nasty fall or starved to death unable to get down.
  • Wanderer: Somewhere in upper Blighttown. Presumably killed by the blighted.
  • Pyromancer: Lying in the Blighttown swamp; poison probably did it.

EDIT: I just realized that the deprived is the only "survivor" since you find the Plank Shield in a hidden chest instead of on a corpse. That's hilarious.

This is EXACTLY the kind of hidden lore / emergent narrative stuff I crave in my games. Thanks for sharing it. Hope Dark Souls II will deliver on this front as well.

*...continues to nearly buckle under the weight of temptation for clicking on spoilers or stream links...*

Kensuke

I still want to make a DEX/INT build. With as little faith as possible. Not sure what class to pick for that yet. Swordman, Sorcerer or Deprived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom