• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
the cloth movement in the game is gorgeous. such a massive improvement in the game's visuals come just from that. it sort of brings a new dimension to everything for me. I love the motion.

makes me want to design my character around a character who doesn't wear heavy armor, since ostensibly metal armor is less wavey. :)

Go Sorcerer ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

MilkBeard

Interesting impressions. Honestly though all of the things you mentioned were somewhat applicable to Dark Souls, aside from some of the tweaks they made. However, things like Estus recovery can improve with a particular stat.
Honestly if you are not careful even in Dark Souls and Demon Souls you will die to common enemies. I have not played DSII yet so I don't know to the extent, but it doesn't really seem like the enemies are big damage sponges based on the streams I have watched. It looks relative to Dark Souls in my opinion.

Also I think weapons should break a little quicker than in Dark Souls, as there was basically very little risk. There was one point in the game that I worried about breaking my weapon, and it was when I first went to Anor Londo. I also did the Painted World of Ariamis and I was running thin but I made it. Any other time in the game, there has been no fear of weapons breaking for me.

ironcreed

Banned
the cloth movement in the game is gorgeous. such a massive improvement in the game's visuals come just from that. it sort of brings a new dimension to everything for me. I love the motion.

makes me want to design my character around a character who doesn't wear heavy armor, since ostensibly metal armor is less wavey. :)

I have noticed that as well. So many extra little touches. Best looking gear yet.

Seance

Banned
The only lighting in this game exists in Majula. The rest of the world looks so incredibly flat and ugly. Hopefully the PC version will have, like, some lighting.

ironcreed

Banned
The only lighting in this game exists in Majula. The rest of the world looks so incredibly flat and ugly. Hopefully the PC version will have, like, some lighting.

It looks dark, dreary and depressing to me... as it should. But Majula is bright and full of hope and looks welcoming upon returning from hellish questing. Such an awesome and fitting contrast.

Afrodium

Banned
Quick impressions ... no spoilers here. Proceed with no worries.

Played almost 2 hours and quit in frustration. The game is even more difficult.

Regarding gameplay, these new movements mechanic with more flow and life like moves, made it worse to control your character. Not that the controls are bad, but it gives the impression that the character is slower because of that and you do not have total control as you had in the first.

Estus flask is useless to the point it takes two centuries to finish drinking it. By the time your bar is full again Dark Souls 5 is being released.

Lifegems healing is shitty as well because it gets your life back so slowly that you have to get rolling desperately to stand any chance.

It sounds like you have low adaptability. Did you start as a bandit by any chance? From what I've heard raising adaptability raises your estus consumption speed and movement speed.

Jobbs

Banned
Here's a video where a guy talks about the game and stands around an early area and shows some very preliminary stuff. It seems very spoiler-lite to me, so if you're starving to look at something but don't want spoilers, I think this video is fairly safe. I have only scanned around the video though so I can't be 100% sure.

Most of the video is him sort of lingering around and looking at things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=427-8TKStkk

I find it funny the guy apparently has no idea how to level up. :)

Seance

Banned
It looks dark, dreary and depressing to me... as it should. But Majula is bright and full of hope and looks welcoming upon returning from hellish questing. Such an awesome and fitting contrast.

Depressingly ugly and bland. There is atmosphere and then there is no lighting. DS2 is a victim of the latter.

Shady859

Just got a MyUPS delivery notice that my Best Buy order for a PS3 CE is going to be delivered tomorrow. I got excited then realized that my 360 CE is store pickup and I don't own a PS3... :/

Edit: shipped today and free shipping I went with.

MilkBeard

Whatever, man. I love everything I have seen.

Yeah I haven't seen anything yet that I would consider 'ugly.' At the same time, I've seen a lot of areas that I think are beautiful, even through the shitty streams. To each his own, I guess. But I don't get the comments about this game looking like shit after watching those streams. Looks very...polished? Yeah, I think that's a good word for it.

Vazra

Yeah I haven't seen anything yet that I would consider 'ugly.' At the same time, I've seen a lot of areas that I think are beautiful, even through the shitty streams. To each his own, I guess. But I don't get the comments about this game looking like shit after watching those streams. Looks very...polished? Yeah, I think that's a good word for it.

The next gen consoles have affected some players. Some even on the stream saying it looks like a PS2 or late Dreamcast game.

TentPole

Depressingly ugly and bland. There is atmosphere and then there is no lighting. DS2 is a victim of the latter.

Not to say that there is no room for arguing that the lighting is bland but your insistence that there is no lighting is obviously not true.

Jobbs

Banned
People calling "Dark Souls" ugly mean nothing to me -- Because, to me, it's beautiful. It has such an incredible art design; Among the most unified vision for its art design of any game I've ever seen.

Dark Souls 2 appears to look similar to the first game, but with superior animation, beautiful new clothing physics, and some marginal improvements to things like lighting or other touches.

And that's *all I could ever ask for*. For me, that's awesome. I don't need anything else. If it was "next gen" on PS4 that could be cool, but honestly, who gives a fuck. I'm thrilled.

MilkBeard

The next gen consoles have affected some players. Some even on the stream saying it looks like a PS2 or late Dreamcast game.

Yeah, and I have a PS4 and I've played the best looking games and I still feel the same way. Comparatively to Dark Souls PS3 version, the footage I've seen looks better than that personally. Also there are some elements that are well done, like for example the framerate not absolutely choking.

Perhaps the people commenting like that are used to the DSfix PC version of Dark Souls, but even they should realize they are comparing an unofficial mod to a game that is running on last gen hardware.

ScribbleD

I'd be more inclined to blame the official trailers and pre-release gameplay footage. There's bullshotting, and then there's what happened with DaS2. Of course it's going to look washed out, flatly textured, and poorly lit in comparison to that.

I don't agree that the game looks bad, but if people want to criticize it for not living up the standards set by its extremely overly-flattering pre-release media I say fair game.

MilkBeard

I'd be more inclined to blame the official trailers and pre-release gameplay footage. There's bullshotting, and then there's what happened with DaS2. Of course it's going to look washed out, flatly textured, and poorly lit in comparison to that.

I don't agree that the game looks bad, but if people want to criticize it for not living up the standards set by it's extremely overly-flattering pre-release media I say fair game.

Say what? All the images that have been released look terrible in my opinion, but the actual in game footage looks way better. If you're talking about the IGN videos with the lighting, then that's one thing I guess, but so far I'd say BN's official marketing images haven't actually done the game justice, at all. The other videos I've seen look about on par with the stream.

Vazra

I just hope a dagger is the best (small) backstabbing weapon this time. The reign of rapiers and estocs must end.

They seem cool when dual wielding at least.
KuGsj.gif

Toxi

Banned
More spoiler free survival food for those of us attempting to avoid any substantive knowledge of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kjl8NQWagY

This is a video showing the female character creation process, and examines a full rotation of each starting class' garb. The bandit looks pretty cool.

The bandit's starting gear looks so fucking metal.

Like every other class is relatively normal medieval fantasy and then you have the chick with the spiked helmet and skull mantle.

I just hope a dagger is the best (small) backstabbing weapon this time. The reign of rapiers and estocs must end.
Agreed. I always felt they should have higher riposte damage but not higher backstab damage, since rapiers and estocs are associated more with duels than dishonorable backstabbing.

Soriku

DkS2's images are like the anti-bullshots of gaming. The game, when played on a TV, is obviously better looking than the first game, and that's good enough for me even if the improvement isn't necessarily massive.

Jobbs

Banned
The bandit's starting gear looks so fucking metal.

Like every other class is relatively normal medieval fantasy and then you have the chick with the spiked helmet and skull mantle.

I know, it's great.

banditfemale.gif

I was wondering where I recognized that helmet from, because damn, it's so familiar. I finally figured it out. It's Yangus.

Dq8_Yangus.png

Toxi

Banned
I know, it's great.

I was wondering where I recognized that helmet from, because damn, it's so familiar. I finally figured it out. It's Yangus.
Wow, nice catch! It's not just the helmet either; the axe, the furry mantle, and the bare chest (on the male Bandit) all seem to be inspired by Yangus too.

I've liked what I've seen. But I also think it might end up being favored by fans of both Souls games rather than those who disliked Demon's and only care for Dark Souls.

As a sequel that sounds kind of perfect! Appealing to both groups instead of ignoring Demon's.

I've been pretty in the dark on this one... and need to remain so until the PC release. It's hard to stay that way, but I'm glad impressions have been good.

Here's a video where a guy talks about the game and stands around an early area and shows some very preliminary stuff. It seems very spoiler-lite to me, so if you're starving to look at something but don't want spoilers, I think this video is fairly safe. I have only scanned around the video though so I can't be 100% sure.

Most of the video is him sort of lingering around and looking at things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=427-8TKStkk

I find it funny the guy apparently has no idea how to level up. :)

Jesus, this guy. Watched him fall off a cliff and closed the video. Why would he be surprised from dying when jumping off the cliff? Haha.

Ill Saint

Do you ever have anything positive to say about the game or something to contribute other than snarky comments about the graphics? You've done this repeatedly in every single DaS II thread and it's become really tedious.

Do you ever have anything positive to say about the game or something to contribute other than snarky comments about the graphics? You've done this repeatedly in every single DaS II thread and it's become really tedious.

I guess he has nothing better to do than hang out on a forum and talk shit about a game? I'm with you, it's gotten pretty annoying.

Clevinger

Hey, he's got plenty of snarky "lawl gameplay" comments too.

Con_Smith

Banned

Don't worry about him game looks great. Sure it's no crysis or whatever but areas look good and you seem to transition from such stark areas that I've had no problem so far with how it looks.

Take it from someone not watching a stream, game is fine.

dreamfall

I've never played the Souls games without a shield - but is that what they're encouraging this go around with the Swordsman class?

I don't know if I'm ready to be that bold!

ironcreed

Banned
As a sequel that sounds kind of perfect! Appealing to both groups instead of ignoring Demon's.

I've been pretty in the dark on this one... and need to remain so until the PC release. It's hard to stay that way, but I'm glad impressions have been good.

Yeah, there are really nods to Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and King's Field in this one. All intertwined with plenty of new as well. Good stuff all around.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I've never played the Souls games without a shield - but is that what they're encouraging this go around with the Swordsman class?

I don't know if I'm ready to be that bold!
If you've never played one before I don't recommend trying to dual wield through the game. Today's streamer isn't the best player but has experience with the previous games and has been resiliently trying to dual wield his way through the game. It's been incredibly messy, tedious, and drawn out, with hours of retries to the point where he eventually gave up and equipped a shield for the most recent boss. Definitely not nonviable but wouldn't recommend it for a first time experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom